The Other Indie Philanthropy Bundle

By Alec Meer on December 16th, 2010 at 10:53 am.

Rob ‘Oddbob/RetroRemakes‘ Fearon’s games have been on RPS a fair few times, and he’s known for consistently spreading cheer and ingenuity amongst the UK indie community. Genuinely, he’s one of those chaps that videogames are just a little bit more delightful for.

Which is why it’s just awful to hear that he’s been hospitalised from pneumonia. The costs inherent in his family travelling back and forth to visit and care for him are apparently monstrous – so they’re super-grateful to anyone who fancies throwing a little or a lot their way for his Bundle Of Wrong collection. Which you should totally do anyway, on its own singular colour-carnage merits.

It’s a pay-what-you-want grab-bag in the vein of the Humble Bundle, but consisting solely of his mad experiments in colour, sound and hyper-killing. Squid Yes! Not So Octopus! 1& 2 and War Twat are the headliners, with various sequels, crazed derivations and prototypes thrown in.

Give whatever you want to give for them, or just donate for the sake of donation. Rob’s wife is currently wrestling with the site and purchasing tech during his convalescence, so do be patient in the event of your order having a little hiccup.

I had pneumonia about three years ago. It’s bloody horrible, it cost me a good two months of fitness and steady income, and left me shaken and weak for ages afterwards. So helping make sure Rob’s not greeted by more dark times once he’s recovered strikes me as a very good thing.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Persus-9 says:

That’s sad news. I hope he gets well soon. I don’t know him but I recall having a long discussion about accessibility in games with him on a comment thread here about a year ago and although we didn’t see eye to eye it was clear he’s a really good chap. Not sure they’re my type of games but I think I’ll throw down a few quid for them anyway if it’ll help.

• Armyofnone says:

^ Oy, this is why RPS has the best readers. Intelligent and good natured folk!

2. Urael says:

Just donated. Merry Christmas, Rob. Hope you get better soon.

3. Dominic White says:

Chatted with him a fair bit on Twitter, and I dig his games. Threw a few quid his way, although I’m pretty much broke as-is due to Christmas expenses.

He’s a good bloke – lend a hand these holidays and get an indie back on his feet, eh?

4. jeremypeel says:

Rob’s truly a great guy. Always enjoy my brief exchanges with him on Twitter, and he’s been the biggest advocate of my indie blog in recent months.

Also, he’s one of the most visible and funniest voices in all indie-dom. A genuine lover of indepedent gaming.

I like to think we have something of a community here, so: Hivemind, let’s do this.

5. Wulf says:

Pneumonia? D:

I know of oddbob from my stalking on the Zombie Cow forums, he really is a nice sort and he deserves a few quid from me. Things like this though make you realise just how little one can help, and how much help is required in the world versus the resources one has on hand. I give all I can to various animal foundations because many of those aren’t doing as well as you’d think.

It’s really hard to keep up with all the need in the world, and that’s something that won’t end for a long time. All one can do is the best they can do with the limited resources they have. I like oddbob, and I think he makes the world a better place with him in it, so allocating some of those resources his way feels like the right thing to do, right now.

So I’ll go do that.

• Wulf says:

I just hope that the amount of posts isn’t indicative of the amount of donations from RPS readers.

• Gabe McGrath says:

Well Wulf, I reckon the decent thing to do would be to keep adding comments… so that the front page “top 5 comments” keeps pointing to this post for a day or two.

6. Gabe McGrath says:

Who’s Bob?

Bob is the kinda guy who’d instantly give you the shirt off his back, and if it didn’t fit, he’d walk to the shop and get you one that did.
    Then – he’d make you an arena shooter featuring glowing pixelated shirts. And genitalia. Hmm, the latter’s more likely.

Bob’s put his heart, soul and finances into the Retro Remakes and Indie games scene, and as mentioned above, he’s also a big supporter of accessibility in gaming. ie: Making sure that people with disabilities can also share in the vidgames we all love.

He’s a great contributor at many, many online gaming communities; RPS included (As “RobF”). Eager to give good, thoughtful feedback to your new WIP, to debate the merits of game mechanic X or to tear down any witless writings on piracy, DRM, etc etc

For those of us who know Bob, helping out with some $$$ is an easy decision.

But if you don’t know him personally – consider this a chance to help a family who’ve done so much to help non-corporate gaming (in the UK especially) and around the world.

Oh, and Bob, when you read this later, I’m sorry if it’s embarrassed you.
    But you’ve brought it on yourself. Stop being such a fucking decent and generous bloke.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

I may not play these games, it’s possible I will not like them, but that seems irrelevant. If my money may help him get better then my money he’s going to get. Well, some of it.

Hope you get well soon, Rob.

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s possible I won’t play his games, it’s possible I won’t like his games. But that seems irrelevant to me. If my money can help him recover, then my money he’s going to get.

Get well soon, Rob.

9. Hmm-Hmm. says:

It’s possible I won’t play these games. It’s possible I won’t like them. But that seems irrelevant. If my money can help him recover, then my money he’s going to get. Well, some of it, anyway.

Get well soon, Rob.

-edit- RPS seems picky with my comments.. this one has failed twice in a row now. Oh.. right, and now it loads them. Ah well. Better three times than not having it appear at all.

Lambchops says:

Rob is a good chap. to be honest his games, while always colourful and rather lovely looking, are too hard for my tastes.

Still like I said, he’s a good lad and I’ll certainly make a donation.

Get well soon.Rob.

11. Hydrogene says:

I don’t have any idea of what his games are or look like, but I love their names! And for that reason, I’ll buy the bundle of wrong.
    Merry Christmas Rob!

Sinomatic says:

I own a game called War Twat.

My life is now complete.

13. Navagon says:

I don’t know how much I’m going to wind up playing these games but under the circumstances I’ve got no hesitation in buying them and wishing Rob a speedy recovery.

14. SleepyMatt says:

Wow – there can’t be a much more intimidating game than one where you die after 0 seconds on your first play – WarTwat, you made me smile! Well worth ten of my earth dollars… get well soon, and see if you can get a sponsorship deal with Rayban or something!

Sinomatic says:

I played it three times, surviving a sum total of 15 seconds across the attempts. And I still have no idea of how to play.

Then I gave up and sat for ten minutes at the menu/title screen awash in memories of the crack intros to 90s amiga games.

• Wulf says:

I actually managed to figure War Twat out, and lasted 35 seconds, with a score of 125.

Basically, stay near the centre at the very start, and have your little red dot shoot at the ship in the centre to kill all the twats there. Then, proceed to do mad, dashing, kamikaze shooting dashes anti-clockwise around the map, do not fear the big explosions, fly into them. And stop the aliens from forming their square of doom, via odd Qix-like lines. The doomsquare will doom you.

Now that’s why war twat was a bit special, because I can’t remember having written a paragraph like that in order to help someone with a game since… ever.

15. Mo says:

Rob is an awesome chap. He makes colourful shmups with silly names and finely tuned mechanics. He writes a great blog. My conversations with him have always been splendid.

Rob is an awesome chap. Please donate if you can.

16. Soci says:

Never heard of this guy but the names of the games are great so sent some moolah his way. Hope he gets well soon.

17. Gabe McGrath says:

This is rapidly becoming my fave RPS comments thread of 2010.
    Great stuff, hivemind. :-)

18. Kevbo says:

I remember hearing about SYNSO awhile ago, I think on moddb but never got around to playing it. I would love to donate 10 earth dollars to not only get some classic gameplay but also help out in the time of need. I can only hope that the same would happen for me :)

I wish you a speedy recovery, stay positive!

19. James says:

I hope he gets some good cash back from the t-shirts. There’s not way I could resist the super-pixely flying saucer, even if I’d never played War Twat.

20. Barts says:

I have already bought it some time ago, but here goes another one. Get better Rob!

21. brog says:

bought. rob’s a great chap – i haven’t actually communicated with him directly, but he’s been around indie communities that i’ve been around, and his post on explosions has been a big influence on me: http://www.merseyremakes.co.uk/gibber/2010/08/the-videogame-explosion/

22. Frakka says:

Donated some earth dollars.