Blizzard Admits “Titan” Is Real

By Jim Rossignol on December 17th, 2010 at 9:12 am.

Titan. See. Real... Sorry.
So then. There was this leak of an internal schedule from within Blizzard, which we were a bit sceptical about and didn’t bother to post. It mentioned a game called “Titan” slated for the end of 2013. Then in these VGA interviews Frank Pearce of Blizzard admits that this is the next-gen MMO, but won’t say any more about it.

My bet? I’m confident that the MMOFPS rumours are true. It’ll be a sci-fi action game with hefty social and trade elements, and it’ll be a new franchise. Not World Of Starcraft, but close enough. Blizzard will be looking closely at APB, Firefall and everything else in that area, and then they’ll make their move. I think this ties neatly into the “No Subscriptions For CoD”, too. No, there won’t be subscriptions for that, but Activision can rely on Blizzard to create something else that we will pay subs for, something that will bestride the Halo/Gears space marine manshoot genre at the same time. It’s going to be bold, and it’s probably going to look like a big risk, just like WoW did.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Stephen Roberts says:

Oh balls. There goes a few more years of my life.

2. The Army of None says:

Oh no. I’m going to have to play this, sadly.

• adonf says:

How can you say that when you know absolutely nothing about the game ? From the article here we can’t even tell if it’s going to be a click-and-wait or shooter or strategy game…

edit: Ok, MMOFPS, but that’s just a guess.

• Ted says:

I suspect it will be something like a combo of WOW’s easy to pick up and EVE’s ships in space doing cool stuff.

I think I’ll want to play this.

• BAReFOOt says:

So space-Excel with a trollish Clippy then? :P

3. CMaster says:

“It’s going to be bold, and it’s probably going to look like a big risk, just like WoW did.”

Is that sarcasm? I mean the content seems so, but the tone i general doesn’t give that impression

• Wulf says:

I was thinking the same thing. I can’t say I remember WoW being a big risk, it was essentially just a mish-mash of everything that came before, even when it was in beta. It was more “Hey, it’s EQ, but easier, with cartoon graphics, and with more of those RPG-ish quest type things where you kill ten of this, or do a fedex run.”

I suspect this will have parts liberally lifted from Sector 8, Tabula Rasa, Firefall, and APB as well, just taking the ideas that work, removing those that don’t, and just creating a melange of whatever people think is cool at the time. If Blizzard knows anything, it’s how to not take risks, because taking risks doesn’t make you as much money as giving people what they think they want, and then making that as compelling to stick with as possible.

• alseT says:

No I don’t think it was sarcasm. WoW was a very big risk on release what with it being the biggest budget MMO until then and a very unexpected success.

• Jim Rossignol says:

*Everyone* thought WoW was a risk at the time. It seemed ludicrously expensive, and the MMO market had not yet exploded. The goggles of its subsequent success make that disappear. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that.

• Rich says:

Actually yeah. I remember reading about it in PC Gamer when it was just announced. On the whole, people thought they were crazy.

I know I did.

• Wulf says:

Oh, wait, I remember this! But what I remember wasn’t over the content, the gameplay, or anything even marginally related to, it was the subscription. Because subscription-based games hadn’t been that popular, and Blizzard put a lot of money into creating a subscription based game where they hoped to recoup their funds via subscriptions. I guess folks underestimated Blizzard’s ability to make the game addictive to those of the loot-grab mindset, but with Diablo in mind, it’s really not surprising that it worked, is it?

Though I don’t remember anything else being a ‘risk’, just that there was a lot of money involved, and they were riding on that people would actually want to pay a subscription. I can’t recall anyone honestly saying that World of Warcraft was some kind of brave new world, filled with ingenuity and innovation, well, except in advertising blurbs anyway. I remember the beta response to be–in part–that it was what was done before, except shinier, which is Blizzard’s wont.

• Greg Wild says:

Yes. Blizzard spent an inordinate amount of capital on WoW. It was make or break at the time.

• Mo says:

Isn’t “spending a tonne of money without the certainty of making it all back” pretty much the definition of risk?

• DJ Phantoon says:

I remember Everquest having done pretty good, Wulf.

• BooleanBob says:

I definitely remember thinking it was going to fall on its face. It took so long to come out! You’d see it in the little ‘slippage’ section in PCG, and even without the hateful, internet-eroded, sarcasm-riddled mind that I have to day, I suspected, although I didn’t know of the existence of the word per se, that it was vapourware.

• The Sombrero Kid says:

You have to remember that wows development was openly troubled & expensive, everyone was making (what people thought at the time) better mmo’s & it didn’t have any pvp at launch.

• Rich says:

Also, Blizzard were stepping into a new genre for them. The last time they tried that the game was cancelled before release.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

@ Rich: And then there was also another one, namely Starcraft: ghost.

• Rich says:

Ah yes. Remembered the obscure one, but forgot the obvious.

• Kieron Gillen says:

The non-genre stuff is especially important. Before WoW, the only people who made MMOs were MMO companies. This is like Creative Assembly deciding to make a first-person shooter or something, and spending an enormous amount of money on it.

It was considered a hefty risk and paid off fantastically.

KG

• CMaster says:

Fair enough, I didn’t really pay much attention to the kind of thing at the time.
      I just understood that WoW was an awful lot like Everquest (and even more like EQ2), but done slicker and more accessibly, and Everquest was already minting money.

• The Hammer says:

Yeah, when people say “Blizzard don’t take risks”, I wish they’d remember this.

Now they’re onto a good thing, they don’t need to take risks any more, which is a shame, but I agree with Jim; the chances of Titan being a traditional MMO are very slim indeed.

• The Great Wayne says:

“The non-genre stuff is especially important. Before WoW, the only people who made MMOs were MMO companies”

You mean like Funcom (which was already making offline games in the 90′s), Origins (the first mmo company, which was making ultima games and akalabeth in 1980), Sony (via SOE, but still), etc. ?

Seriously ?

And btw, WoW was no more a risk than any other project. As far as profit vs cost goes, noone ever know if you’ll be successful. More, WoW benefacted of a huge financial backbone thanks to Vivendi Universal, used a successful franchise and really only put together elements from past EQ-likes.

Comparatively, a game like EvE or Perpetuum, even being less costly, was much more of a risk for its creators.

• afarrell says:

This just in: Wulf reveals hip-hop to be “Shouting over other records”, plans on making a #1 hit next year.

• Bhazor says:

WoW has cost about $200,000,000 not including development.

That’s a… pretty big risk.

• Archonsod says:

“It seemed ludicrously expensive, and the MMO market had not yet exploded.”

It had; you had SWG, Second Life, Sims Online, Eve et al coming out at roughly the same time. Maybe not from a consumer standpoint, but it was during the initial rush years where everyone who was anyone was bringing an MMO to market.
      The perception of expense is skewed too. We were still comparing it to ‘traditional’ development where the budget did seem excessive (although even then, we are talking about one of the biggest selling IP’s on the platform). The idea that the higher returns meant you could justify a higher budget still hadn’t took root outside of the boardroom.

• Lipwig says:

“If this is World of Warcraft in its beta form, then we would do well to fear the hybrid super heroin they will ultimately unleash. My propensity for “crafting,” if indeed that is an accurate term to describe clicking a button until some imaginary quantity is created, is well known – and this was before I was scanning the countryside in the style of Aragorn, selecting roots of a curative nature and making potions of various kinds while Gabriel was savagely mistreated by bears.

Poring through celestial charts to determine the portents, muttering darkly over an altar slick with blood you might be tempted to think that it is World of Warcraft’s purpose on this Earth to sanctify the MMOG genre, scouring it of the abusive, evil games which currently occupy the space. The irony is that it is merely excellent, which may not alight on the high perch people have imagined for it.

The word which constantly comes to my mind when considering the game is “humane.” I have quite a lot of patience for games of this type, I don’t mind going to a town and asking every medieval jackhole I see where I can find the cathedral. Gabe’s not going to do that. That sort of thing isn’t fun for most people. Gabe’s going to cancel his account when he finds out that it takes twice the experience to get from this level to this level, or the materials you worked so hard to get are destroyed because of some arbitrary roll. For you and me, hey, maybe we don’t mind that kind of thing. Maybe we hate ourselves already and see the genre as a way to work off spiritual debt, like a karmic gym. Regular people, a definition I don’t usually apply to Gabe, but whatever – regular people know that things like that are bullshit. So why do we consent to them? What’s more, why do developers assail us with these notions? Part of it is, I think, a twisted sense of tradition – the games before did it. Part of it is that is keeps a person – a certain kind of person, at least – onboard for more suffering. Maybe there’s some kind of grind in the upper levels I haven’t reached yet. Maybe at level 30, you start losing experience when you die or some other antique convention of the genre. I doubt it. ”

Tycho 2004

WoW has become the hated standard for the traditional grind style MMO, but it’s worth remembering that when WoW came out it was praised for subverting a lot of the hateful shit that had come before. Being able to make more than one level a day? Holy shit!

• bob_d says:

@The Hammer: If people say that Blizzard doesn’t take risks, they probably mean to say that Blizzard doesn’t innovate, which is true. Blizz is really good at taking proven gameplay and polishing the crap out of it; they’re willing to gamble plenty of money on this strategy, though.

• D3xter says:

I was pretty sure it will be profitable very early on (hell it was a Blizzard game and by that time they had already reached cult status), every doubt was removed after playing the Beta even though I didn’t decide to Subscribe myself and haven’t played it till then it was very polished and offered months of content from the get-go.

I am pretty much just as sure that The Old Republic will turn a profit eventually if Mythic didn’t have that much to say in the design process and it really is somewhat different from the “usual formula” and again it’s Bioware that’s behind it and they have a cult status.

I don’t know if I will like it at all but I know it’ll turn a profit finally after EA failed with so many games before to replicated what they did with Origin and Ultima Online (aside from kick-starting the MMO genre altogether) so many years ago while suffering so many failures like Sims Online, Warhammer Online and others. They could probably survive for a long while on Bioware/Star Wars fanboys alone.

• Torgen says:

Funcom? You really count Anarchy Online as a successful move into MMOs for a “traditional” computer game developer? Age of Conan is barely better. Funcom only highlights how unexpected Blizzard’s success was.

• CMaster says:

@Bhazor
      How much Blizzard have spent on WoW since it became a clear success is erm, nothing to do with the risk they took making it in the first place. Seriously, if you want to talk the risk, then find me out the development costs, and ideally a comparison with what EQ and UO were making at that time.

• The Great Wayne says:

Thank you Torgen for demonstrating your complete lack of reading skills.

• thranx says:

@Wulf – I have to agree. WoW wasn’t anything new, it was just an MMO with an extremely bloated development budget… which was something we’d not really seen yet.

Now, of course, we’ve seen 20 of ‘em, and about 5 have survived… but WoW obviously took the cake on subs.

IMO, an MMOFPS will not work for Blizzard. Where WoW wins is in it’s easy-mode accessibility. Any true MMOFPS that isn’t a -pull trigger, roll dice- will not succeed with that same low-key audience. You’ll never get 12 million subs for a twich based game. New players will simply be too overwhellmed by the experienced players to really get a foothold and enjoy. Unless, of course, they’re building a mostly PvE MMOFPS with little PvP battlegrounds, in which case, it will simply be epically boring instead of epically inaccessable.

Anyhoo… I have low opinion of blizzard. Didn’t care for Diablo, or Diablo 2. Didn’t like Warcraft 3 at all. Starcraft was ok, Starcraft 2 is better-ish. It’s a bit of a sin to say, but I am generally unimpressed with the games Blizzard creates.

4. Darkflight says:

Pretty sure this is what Max Dychoff, AI Programmer from Bungie has gone to work on, he’s just left Bungie for Blizzard.

You don’t hire an AI programmer that’s worked on Halo games for 4 years and previously at Free Radical if you aren’t making some kind of MMOFPS imo.

• Lacunaa says:

Or the guy wanted to work on something else than shooter AI? Quite radical to deduce the genre of the new game based on one person working there, don’t you think?

• panther says:

But if that is his area of expertise, it is certainly possible that Blizz hired him for that very reason.

• Ziv says:

Actually that’s pretty unlikely, first and foremost because AI programming is a very needed speciality, it requires more than just knowing how to do some C++, there’s a lot of personal knowledge of psychology and math involved. Also, 4 years of experience on a good and successful game are very good on your resume.
      If not working on FPS AI then he’s working on some other type of AI (starcraft?).

• The Sombrero Kid says:

AI Programming is one of the least respected (unfortunately) disciplines a Games Programmer can have, even my Technical Manager, who was an AI programmer for years said he just called it “doing the baddies”.

• Tupimus says:

Lol, good programmers related to pathing and AI would be my first priorities if I were making a game, simply from having experience from playing Blizzard games. Nearly creamed the room when I saw how Starcraft 2′s AI worked.

5. rocketman71 says:

Meh

6. lurkalisk says:

Crazy? No. Respectable? No.

Blizzard is simply that sort of studio now. MMOs. Since WoW, they’ve become incapable of that manner of magic WarCraft 2 and StarCraft gave us. I just don’t care anymore.

• pkt-zer0 says:

You seem to have missed Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3.

• Archonsod says:

Meh, they’ve never released a decent game since Rock N Roll Racing.

• lurkalisk says:

@pkt-zer0

Starcraft 2 was good, but greatly disappointing by 90′s Blizzard standards. And I haven’t played Diablo 3, looked unimpressive, is it any good?

…Oh wait…

• Alaric says:

@lurkalisk,

Their games have actually gotten better. The reason you remember those early ones as being superior, is because you grew up. Unless, that is, you are an elf and rules of human psychology don’t apply to you.

• lurkalisk says:

Really?
      WC1 was the second RTS I ever played, played it for years. And yet looking back, it wasn’t a very good game (much better aesthetic about it though, compared to WoW). And I still play SC1 & WC2.

I’m not saying their new stuff is bad just ’cause it’s different. Can you honestly say that SC2 is better for 2010 than SC1 was for 1998? I can’t. It’s not as though anything old cannot be better just because of a potential psychological explanation.

Take the Command and Conquer series, is Tiberian Sun overrated? I guess it could be, as I first played TS 11 years ago (though more recently within the last month), that must mean my memory is skewed. Looks like I should start playing some C&C4, I guess I just thought it was bad because of TS and RA2…

• Xocrates says:

@lurkalisk: To be fair, that may be less a case of Blizzard getting worse and more a case of the competition getting better.

Despite what flaws Sc2 may have, it’s still, hands down, the best RTS of the year (there may be some other you might prefer, but in terms of polish, content, and presentation Sc2 is second to none). You may argue that Sc2 isn’t as big for 2010 as Sc was for 1998, and frankly you are right, but what exactly did you expect? Not only is it held back by being Starcraft 2 and has such there are story and gameplay expectations, but it follows one of the most legendary videogames ever.

Blizzard hasn’t gotten worse per see, they are just running out of steps to climb.

• lurkalisk says:

As mechanics and such go, I would agree, to a point.
      The campaign however, I thought was really weakest link. At least in my opinion it was surprisingly bad, in most ways.

I suppose that may have been a problem as well; they were catering to a demographic the never had before.

7. Schaulustiger says:

An MMOFPS from Blizzard? That would indeed be a risk. Considering that their only shooter, Starcraft: Ghost, didn’t meet internal quality requirements, they still have to show that they can produce anything of value outside of their usual genres (RTS and click-fest-action-RPGs). Satisfying shooting mechanics are hard to do, so I’ll remain very skeptical about it.

• Ian says:

Also I think with Ghost they realised far too much time was being spent perfecting Nova’s bottom.

8. Jakkar says:

No. Not a big risk. A very small risk, perhaps. An established and beloved developer with the lunatic Diablo 2 community behind it had a better chance of success than anyone when their modus operandi was “Steal chunks of every MMO yet made, mix together, add Western-Anime hybrid artstyle.”..

• Martha Stuart says:

Why does everyone call it stealing?

“Steal from one person and its called Plagerism, steal from multipule people and its called research”

There is very little in our world today that is truly originol, because every persons reality is all based on the experiences we have had and the ideas of others.

9. Bob Bobson says:

An MMOFPS would be a risk, in that it would cost a lot of money to make, and may or may not recoup that cost. But Blizzard have so much cash in the warchest that they can afford to take risks and fail. Or indeed for it to initially flop but them to support and patch it for a year, at a loss, while they get it right.

10. Chalee says:

Those of you who are saying that the original WoW was not a risk clearly have no idea at all what a commercial risk is.

While it is true that Blizzard may not have been pushing the envelope too much from a creative point of view, they were certainly putting a lot of money into the project and depending on long-term subscriptions to make break even and then make a profit. Sticking with familiar game mechanics and/or visual styles doesn’t make all commercial risk go away (look at all the me-too FPSs that fail miserably), it merely mitigates it somewhat.

• Loopy says:

Truth spoken right here.

• Torgen says:

I love how people say that WoW wasn’t a huge risk. How many MMOs came out or were in development at the same time, because of all the money EQ was making? Everyone wanted to be the “EQ killer.” How many of those MMOs are still around? How many are technically still operating, but forgotten by the mainstream and limping along on a small subscription base? None of them were as large a financial gamble as WoW was.

• Archonsod says:

Eve Online, Final Fantasy XI, City of Heroes, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, all still running and all still claim over 500,000 subscribers. The only major (backed by a major publisher) ones released over the period (2002 – 2004) that failed (as far as I recall) were Asheron’s Call 2 (Microsoft), Earth and Beyond (EA)and Sims Online(EA).

Star Wars Galaxies is something of a wild card. It sold over a million copies, though the subscriber base at the moment is unknown. Confounded by the fact that the community is now split between those playing the official release and those on the unofficial, pre-Sony embuggerance servers.

How much have they spent on The Old Republic again? ;)

• Torgen says:

You didn’t understand my post. None of those were released the same time as WoW. (Except perhaps Eve, which is a niche product unknown to the general gaming public.) All those games were started in the ” search for a WoW killer” era.

• The Great Wayne says:

Wtf are you talking about Torgen ?

L2, EQ2, CoH, SWG all came out before WoW, how could they’ve been made to be “the wow killer” ?

You’re spilling nonsense all over this comment thread dude, chill out.

• bob_d says:

@Archonsod: Your subscriber numbers for those games are way, way too high; they’re certainly a lot higher than what I’ve heard from people at those companies. Most of those games didn’t even hit those numbers at their peaks, and given how MMO subscriber numbers drop off, most are lucky to have a small fraction of their top numbers now. That’s part of what made WoW a gamble – only a couple games came anywhere close to half-a-million subscribers during that time period. Eve didn’t have more than 50k subscribers during that period, for example (and though they grew, they still don’t have half-a-million).
      “In fact, if you look at it from that perspective it seems your MMO is guaranteed to succeed providing it isn’t published by EA.”
      Heh, to be fair there were a few other major failures that came out at that time, and plenty more that were in development then and came out, or failed to, a few years later. Some crashed and burned before they even were finished.

11. Skinlo says:

Another MMO I won’t play. But then again I’ve never enjoyed a Blizzard game, so its probably me.

12. Dan Forinton says:

Something else to remember with World of Warcraft: at the time, no MMORPG had broken insane numbers – a quarter of a million subscribers would have put you among the top MMOs of the time. Which made Blizzard’s expenditure quite risky. It’s very easy to be wise after the event, but nobody foresaw that WoW would do the numbers that it has done.

As for Titan, the only thing I’ll predict is that it will loot any interesting mechanics that have been successfully developed in other MMOs in the last few years. The Blizzard of today seems to be very conservative, producing safe, proven and polished content.

• Archonsod says:

The entire reason everyone and their dog were releasing MMO’s in the first place was that the return on them is insane. It was the ridiculous profit from Everquest that led to Sony creating SOE in the first place.
      Fairly easy to see why too, when WoW came out Everquest had half a million subscribers. Each paying around $14.99 per month to play. The annual revenue even with that modest level of success would be in the $8 million per year range; significantly more than a company would expect from a traditional ‘boxed’ game and likely significantly higher than the development costs, bearing in mind the game was developed in 1996 – 1998.

13. noobnob says:

End of 2013? Really?

Are there any sources commenting on when did they start working on this project?

14. Sarkhan Lol says:

Titan is probably a codename for an existing franchise. It can’t be anything new, I mean, they’re run out of Warhammer IP. :massive smug trollface:

15. Søren Welling says:

Am I the only one who shudders at the wasted potential for non FPS’ MMORPGs if blizzard actually drives their resources into a MMO(RPG)FPS. I basically think there is plenty much FPS going around, and that enforcing the first person perspective on RPGs are a waste if time. We (read: I) love seeing our avatar develop in all its glory, the fps perspective kills the escapistic joy of ogling your avatar.

• Ajh says:

Nope I agree. What’s the point of an rpg if you can’t see your character change from someone fairly simple to some awesome hero?

• spinks says:

Think of it as an opportunity in the market for someone else to step in.

• Hallgrim says:

I don’t get it… you’re saying if there was a single successful MMOFPS that it would hurt the dozens of MMORPGs out there?

• Torgen says:

With the well-documented obsession over loot that WoW players have, I’d have to think that Titan would be a third person shooter instead of a FPS. You need visual confirmation of the success of your loot collection.

• Thants says:

Would it really be such a shame if an MMO was more about gameplay than dressing up your character?

16. WMain00 says:

D’awwwww, isn’t Jim cute.

My bet: World of Starcraft.

:P

17. fca says:

That’s no moon….

18. nuh uh no way says:

What a shame.

19. Mr. ThreEye says:

Since nobody else said it: This is probably console only.

20. Pijama says:

Well, it isn’t a big risk anymore.

I am pretty sure that if there is ONE company with the capability of capital allocation in such manner and scale to do a top-flight MMO without treading in dire straits, that one is Blizzard.

21. princec says:

Bah, they’re just cashing in on the awesome success of Revenge of the Titans. Where’s my suing hat!

22. Bassism says:

I really do hope it’s an MMOFPSRPG sort of thing. It would be nice to see somebody do it right and have one succeed. I hope it’s not WoW in space, or EVE: Blizzard Edition.

I guess time will tell.

23. Memphis-Ahn says:

BEST. NEWS. EVER!

Gonna keep the retards off my Dark Millenium Online.

24. Navagon says:

It’s good to see that they’re splitting Diablo 3 into three separate mini-games too. Now I can finally put to rest any notion of getting it.

• Flint says:

Or then it just means the main game and expansion pack(s). Like with the previous Diablo games.

• Navagon says:

That’s pretty optimistic given that the SC2 parts are labelled the same way. I know Blizzard are rolling in money, but usually expansions aren’t planned for development until after the game is released and has proven a success.

Hmm… seems the spam guard is overreacting again.

25. Jimbo says:

Does anything really constitute a risk for them anymore? They have $3 billion in cash reserves, no debt and they own WoW.

It’s true that an FPS might seem like an odd fit for Blizzard to be working on, but they also now have Bungie only a phone call away. What if Blizzard and Bungie are collaborating on a multi-plat subscription MMOFPS? The timeframe seems plausible and ‘Titan’ would be a pretty apt name for such a project. I believe Activision have enough leverage with the console owners to make it happen if they wanted to. We might even be looking at next gen consoles by then.

Bungie obviously wouldn’t be allowed to own the IP on a project like that, but I bet if they believed it could work they would forgo IP ownership in return for a stake in it.

26. Biz says:

the game will primarily be about collecting items and questing and all that

even if it’s a FPS, it won’t be about intense shooting or strategic teamplay or map control or anything you find in a real game. it’ll just be about using random weapons/skills to beat stacked NPCs or something

and leveling up. can’t have a game without leveling up thesedays…

27. nathanebht says:

A sci-fi manly, MMOFPS wouldn’t attract the ladies. Blizzard doesn’t go for things that narrow their audience.

I’m betting Titan will be more of a steampunk MMOFPS.

28. Joshua says:

That would be Galaxy of Starcraft, if it is ever made.

29. Vinraith says:

Interesting, I would expect them to be working on a WoW sequel in that time frame as well, but can they really support two fee-based games simultaneously? Meh, doesn’t really matter to me, anything with a subscription fee is an automatic non-starter as far as I’m concerned, but from a game business perspective it’ll be interesting to watch this play out.

30. EthZee says:

You bastards.

I saw the picture before I looked at the title and I thought “OMG RPS HAVE AN ARTICLE ON ORBITER THE QUITE EXCELLENT FREEWARE SPACE SIMULATOR”. Then I looked at the title.

I want reimbursement for the ensuing disappointment. My Legal Schamblers will be in touch with you shortly.

31. Gaff says:

MMOFPS is a very isolated genre. Really, Titan is only going to compete against PlanetSide Next which by accounts is going to launch next year. That’s going to give Sony at least two years to scoop up what remains of the MMOFPS market.

I hope they are both solid games, but WoW spanked EQ2 quite comprehensively just a few years ago, and Sony have to be hoping that history will not repeat itself.

This time though, time is on their side. It really depends on how good a game PlanetSide Next is going to be (and I hope it’s awesome).

That being said, Blizzard don’t make bad games. If Titan is a persistent, open world MMOFPS in a sci-fi setting then that gives it a lot of appeal to people who play Halo, Battlefield, even MW2 and Black Ops. It is a large catchment area for both themselves and Sony to draw from.

I only wonder whether there is enough room for them both to be able to survive, or whether this will simply consist of them each trying to knock the other out.

32. Surgeon says:

Between this, FireFall and PlanetSide Next it looks like the MMOFPS market is finally getting going. And about bleedin` time.

• Gaff says:

Firefall is not an MMO.

Taken from http://www.firefallthegame.com/forums/showthread.php?1247-Firefall-What-we-know-so-far

“Firefall…is a co-operative, team-based shooter, not an MMO”

There was talk from Red 5 that it would be an MMO but that was either incorrect or they scaled it back.

• Surgeon says:

I know, I know. They labour that point endlessly on the forums too. I think it is more about them assuming there is a certain stigma attached to the MMO pigeonhole, and wanting to distance themselves from that.
      It`s a game where the central mechanic revolves around hundreds of players playing simultaneously in a persistent world.
      So it is pretty massive. It is defintely multiplayer. And it is also online.
      If only there was a handy acronym that encapsulated those three aspects :D

• thranx says:

if I recall properly, firefall is not a persistant world, merely a persistant character and inventory that moves in and out of instanced skirmishes. Similar to Alpha Protocol *shudder*

I don’t generally consider those MMOs. They’re more like mulitplayer FPSs with a graphical lobby. In the same way that Guild Wars is not an MMO. It’s a multiplayer action RPG with a graphical lobby.

• Surgeon says:

The main town hubs are definitely persistent though.
      As they’re the focus for those dynamic world events, where the Chosen and the Titan invade Dredge for example, and if the town isn’t defended then it is lost until players recapture it.

Still, I guess a lot of it is semantics, and depends on what your definitions are.
      Red 5 have certainly done a good job of blurring the lines in places, especially as there still hasn’t been any solid PvP announcement, which would help cement what it is for me.

33. Stompywitch says:

With a new edition of Advanced Fighting Fantasy out next year, could Blizzard be producing an MMO tie-in based on the Fighting Fantasy world, Allansia?

No. No they are not.