Summer Gunnings: Brink Out May 20th

By Quintin Smith on January 27th, 2011 at 3:31 pm.

Why does that man have a bum on the back of his leg?

News, hot news from VG247! Bethesda’s announced release dates both for Brink and co-op adventurous dungeon adventure Hunted: The Demon’s Forge. Americafolk will be getting Brink on May 17th, us Euroguys will receive it three days later on May 20th, and Hunted will be landing at the beginning of June.

On the one hand, this means we’ll be playing Brink in less than four months! On the other, four months is a long time. A lot could happen in four months. Your PC might get a wasp nest in it. On the subject of Brink, if you haven’t read my impressions piece you might want to. This is a game worth worrying about wasp nests for.

, .

1. Premium User Badge RedViv says:

June it is then. I so do long for some good fantasy action. Since the Lord of the Rings games, these were pretty rare.

• Quintin Smith says:

I managed to get some hands-on time at the Eurogamer expo. It is indeed pretty good.

• Ringwraith says:

The Lord of the Rings games were rare cases of movie tie-in games being pretty damn good.

• Longrat says:

Quick question for you that played it:
      I’ve heard that with the advent of the SMART button, the game’s been casualized up, both in terms of control and maneuverability. Does the game still retain the depth of movement control that normal FPSs have?

• woodsey says:

How can you get any simpler then pointing at and shooting things?

If anything, SMART sounds like it adds some tactical thinking.

2. Rei Onryou says:

I see this as a good thing. Not that the game was bad/buggy in any way when I played at Eurogamer Expo, but because I’m afraid it won’t get a large marketing budget. According to Amazon et al, it was originally coming out March 25 – the same time as Crysis 2 and other heavy hitters. I wouldn’t want to see this game not receive the audience it deserves due to having to choose between 2+ games.

Good luck, Brink. Now, about those UK preorder bonuses….

• deadsexy says:

It is up against L.A. Noire (and you can probably bet on Rockstar having a huge marketing budget behind that) on the console and probably The Witcher on the PC. No direct competition on the FPS front though. As far as I know.
      /e: Maybe Deus Ex: HR aswell?!

• Rei Onryou says:

It seems like there’s never a great time with little competition. I pre-ordered Alan Wake and expected it to do well, then Red Dead Redemption DECIMATED it! I do not want Brink to suffer the same fate. Remedy and Splash Damage are my favourite developers.

REMEMBER THE TAPIR!

• Jimbo says:

Going up against LA Noire after what Red Dead did to Alan Wake is crazy. I know it probably won’t be quite the trainwreck that was, but still, there must be a better date they could pick.

3. Marshall Stele says:

A wasp nest in my PC case is probably the most terrifying thing I’ve heard in a while. Wasps are flipping scary, and I’m not afraid to admit it. The idea of a wasp crawling up my pant leg while I’m nabbing a control point on TF2 is just…

• Wolf Hongo says:

A while ago a friend of mine offered another friend a drink of his Arizona Iced Tea (the canned version, mind you). He accepted, took a drink, and spat it all out because apparently there was a fucking hornet inside of it which stung the inside of his mouth. I felt really bad, but I couldn’t help laughing really hard. It’s kind of like waking up groggy and finding a rocket equipped cheetah inside your car.

4. Unaco says:

Well, colour me… whatever colour is best used to depict being excited. Brink looks and sounds as though it’s going to be pretty good. I may even pre-order it in May, after I get my Tax rebate.

5. GoodPatton says:

I can wait, my backlog of games to finish is long as well as long overdue and I really need to get on it. There are so many game I’m looking forward to in 2011 that I should finish off my backlog and hopefully by then the prices will have dropped or there will be a Steam sale!

Bioshock, Doom 3 and so many more, HERE I COME!!!

I’ll be thinking about you though Brink…

6. Njordsk says:

I’m still not really decided about that game.

Great new gameplay, gimmick, slide abuse? Time will tell I guess.

7. PoLLeNSKi says:

Cmon bethesda release the minimum specs so I can preorder this (or not) already

8. kulik says:

Will Brink have those popping up numbers when you shoot somebody? I’ve seen it on some videos and on some not.

9. Premium User Badge Napalm Sushi says:

I pre-ordered this months ago, mainly because I’m a cyberpunk junkie and Brink’s Ark recalls images of the Raft from Snow Crash and Gibson’s Bridge, mixed with the post-industrial wasteland of Dog Solitude from Mona Lisa Overdrive and with a fairly interesting story behind it.

And all in GLORIOUS TECHNICOLOUR, which is always a refreshing sight in shooters these days.

Oh, and the game looks good too.

• Njordsk says:

Agree, mainly on that last sentence.

man those brown/grey/meh games are getting on my nerves. I want full use of the whole color spectrum.

I can love or hate games on that simple element. Titan quest went from good to awesome in my book, thanks to COLORFULL universe, and slight use of dark.

playing RIFT beta at the moment, it’s brown and greenish all around so far, and I don’t like that.

10. killmachine says:

i hope the release date for brink is final this time. it has been delayed twice already if im not mistaken.

11. Hunam says:

How come you didn’t post the Rage date too?

“id’s first new IP in 15 years will launch on September 13 in the US and September 16 in Europe.”

12. Premium User Badge WombatDeath says:

May 20th is my birthday! That must be why they picked that date, which is very sweet of them.

Perhaps the May 20th ‘issue’ of RPS, which is presumably going to be dedicated to me and the games I like, could also include some mention of Brink’s release?

13. Starayo says:

I was looking forward to this but Bethesda can go screw themselves ever since the price went from USD$49.99 to USD$89.99 in the Australian steam store.

• Spazzo says:

shows USD $49.99 for me. perhaps they’ve changed it back since last you looked?

14. Penicillin says:

Hooray, it’s finally coming! Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is perhaps still the current pinnacle of serious class-based team shooters (although TF2 is off in a league of its own). The only thing that concerns me is that I’ve become spoiled by Bad Company 2′s destructible environments. Watching some Brink videos it seems that the world is static, and that is a serious drawback.

Oh well, hopefully the distinct customizable characters (something the FPS genre has needed for a long time) and fluid movement will keep this fresh for awhile. Splash Damage needs a serious hit on their hands.

• Tin_man_Tex says:

Maybe you could say the environments are static, but the movement (thus players) are more dynamic :p

For Brink I think there’s enough to worry about with the variety of things the enemy can do without having to worry that the map devolves from designed and playtested routes that focus combat, to swiss chesse where there is no certainty.

It works for BC2 because the map size has a larger scope, as well as more players.

15. TariqOne says:

Every time you bring up Brink, I’m obligated to mention the absurdity of having robust customization options and only one gender. My two favorite gamers are girls. Do right by my wimminz, industry, and they’ll do right by you.

Voting with my wallet on this one.

• sigma83 says:

@TariqOne Oh come on. Now you’re just picking fights. There’s any number of reasons for no femme characters, the foremost in my mind being visual readability. Development time is a lesser argument but still.

16. mondomau says:

Thank christ for that, I was seriously beginning to expect a ‘delayed until Q4′ announcement.

I can’t wait for this – I’ve been a fairly late adopter of the manshoot genre, and I’m still not especially keen on multiplayer but this game blew me away at the Eurogamer expo.

17. sonofsanta says:

I have absolutely no interest in modern internet man shooters, but I am still fascinated by Brink, for it appears crafted in a thoughtful manner oft lost to modern games. I wish it all the very best in this cruel world of competition, it thoroughly deserves to do well.