World Of StarCraft StarCraft Universe

By John Walker on February 11th, 2011 at 5:27 pm.

Does this count as staring eyes? I don't think it does.

Were you following the World Of StarCraft debacle a few weeks back? Dude says he’s making an MMO using the StarCraft map makerer, says he’s calling it World Of StarCraft. Blizzard opens its mighty mouth and roars, scaring everyone with its sharp, pointy teeth. Internet cries “foul!”, everyone panics, dude gets hired by a developer, Blizzard says it was just yawning and that its teeth are mostly for display purposes, and we all sit back down. It’s the story of the internet. Well, the further good news is that the project is continuing with Blizzard’s raised eyebrow of approval under the name, StarCraft Universe.

It was all the work of Ryan Winzen, who came to exceptional fame all of a sudden. And now TechSpot report that he’s back at work on his mod. The game’s forum explains that it will feature:

- A wide variety of monsters, bosses and character classes. SCU classes include: Infantry, Special-Ops, Demolition and many others.
– A game save system. These maps will allows players to create, save and load existing characters (a unique function uncommon to custom Starcraft maps).
– Hundreds of customizable weapons, runes and equipment to choose from. They can be acquired as loot or bought in shops.
– Multiplayer experience. These maps allow (and encourages) up to twelve players in one match.

Although as the FAQ reveals, it’s not really an MMO at all. Up to twelve players can be on the same map at the same time, and there’s no experience system in place, so there’s no levelling, etc. The site explains, “Instead of gaining exp from battle, players will gain loot, minerals, allocation-points, and rank. These will help players in customizing and boosting their character stats.” The game will reimagine stories from earlier StarCraft maps, and the published fiction about the universe, rather than creating any original storylines. And as for those gripes of MMOs, it’s explained,

“SCU players will NOT experience this: “oh yay I got a new sword that does more DPS and has a different model file…boring =( “. They will also NOT experience this: “Grrr, I must continue grinding and grinding for the next weapon so I can toss away my current one.” Every weapon and item found in SCU will be both exciting and situational. They will ALL be useful and will have their own strengths and weaknesses.”

There’s no planned release date as yet, but hopefully things will now be able to run a bit more smoothly. Here’s the old video that originally got him into so much fuss:

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Tokamak says:

All’s well that ends well?

2. Teddy Leach says:

Clever Blizzard.

3. Jacques says:

i like how the site calls itself “The World of Starcraft dedicated community”.

4. Hatsworth says:

- A game save system. These maps will allows players to create, save and load existing characters (a unique function uncommon to custom Starcraft maps).

This isn’t even possible in normal multiplayer matches, and it’s a vital feature. The fact that blizzard hasn’t fixed this yet is pretty insane. The game should automatically save when someone drops(not in ladder matches of course).

• Nesetalis says:

actually, there is a method to save data.. just hack everything in to a neat bitfield data structure and you could contain alot of data.

5. Oak says:

Edited due to guilt pangs.

6. GHudston says:

I-… what?

7. Tim Smith says:

Hey, RPS guys! When’re we gonna hear the results of that DC Comic Book Compo?

8. sinister agent says:

So it’s an MMGPROGRPMG, except that they’ve converted it into a game?

Huh. That’s not the bad news I was expecting. Now what can I complain about? You’ve ruined everything, RPS.

9. Joof says:

All the brain hacking done to me makes me think that this game will suck.

10. Flappybat says:

Lets hope that next time the gaming “media” can do some token research and not represent Youtube videos being DMCA’d as if the mod had received a cease and desist but perhaps that would not generate as many pageviews.

11. Hoaxfish says:

sounds better than most MMOs in existence

• Spooner says:

” allocation-points, and rank” – this is what you usually spend XP on (directly or indirectly), so I fail to see the difference.

• Hoaxfish says:

well, one difference is that they can’t use your level as a gateway into other content, or equipment requirements, etc. Ideally that means anyone can play with anyone, without being blocked from certain areas for not being “a high enough level”.

• sinister agent says:

I don’t see why not. “You must be of Rank X to enter here”. If anything, it’s actually more defensible from a logical standpoint than the arbitrary numbers of levels.

12. The Dark One says:

The design is clearly ancient.

13. MarloBrandon says:

There’s at least one custom Starcraft map that I’m aware of that already has a perfectly working game save system (Zerg Hunter RPG), so I don’t really understand the wording “a unique function uncommon to custom Starcraft maps”.

• Barnaby says:

Would you say one instance of something makes it common?

• MarloBrandon says:

@Barnaby
      No, but it does make it commonly available (to Starcraft custom maps in general). It might even be in use by RPG maps other than ZHRPG (I wouldn’t know, I only played ZHRPG). It’s the wording that irritates me. A save system is not common to MOST custom maps, probably because MOST custom maps don’t need one. But it’s not something that’s unique or exclusive to Starcraft Universe. If that’s not what was being implied, then why say that in the first place? Are custom maps in general supposed to have a save system, but fail to have one because they’re not “as good” as Starcraft Universe? Sorry if I seem obsessive about this. Maybe there’s just something wrong with me, but that line strikes me as arrogant, and irritates the hell out of me.

14. Corrupt_Tiki says:

Oh John, that opening paragraph had me giggling more than it should have haha! good article

15. Tim Smith says:

The spam! They make ze accounts!

16. lilfecolorslt says:

Authorized Online Shopping Store: http://www.hatsland.org. We provide All fashion brands and new styles: New Era Jordan Hats, Monster Energy, Rockstar Energy, Red Bull Caps, Tapout, Coogi, Ed Hardy, Christian Audigier, Gucci, Wholesale Snapback Caps, MLB, NBA, NFL hats and caps. They are all Top Quality.We confirm that the bigger orders the more Discount price you will chalk up.