Jagex Announce 8 Realms “Empire Building”

By Jim Rossignol on February 22nd, 2011 at 1:23 pm.

And that's your lot
Runescape-creators Jagex have announced a new game project, 8 Realms, which is due for release on the 5th of May. This time it’s a “social” strategy game. I’d like an anti-social strategy game, personally, but I guess that’s all hardcore RTS games since year zero… ANYWAY, here’s Jagex’s finely-crafted encapsulation quote: “8 Realms has been developed from the ground up to appeal to players with a passion for strategy gaming but who have been left underwhelmed by the social games available today,” said Mark Gerhard, CEO at Jagex. “With 8 Realms we saw a massive opportunity to push the technological boundaries of HTML games. Jagex has traditionally been an innovator in browser gaming and we saw this as our chance to bring a fresh perspective to the social space and the empire-building genre.”

Intriguement! For a chance to get on the beta you can “Like” the project on Facebook. Mm.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Theory says:

HTML 5 eh? Are there any notable browser games using it yet, or would this be the first?

• Hoaxfish says:

Right now, chrome, firefox, safari, even IE are fighting over what actually make HTML5, all with wobbly half-done specs and standards… it’s kinda limited in what you can really do with it, that isn’t already html4 + something else (SVG, SMIL, XML, etc)

There’re a couple of “games” which are mostly just tech demos. But nothing big, since it’s a bit like building a house on sand.

FriendlyFire says:

Erm… HTML5 is actually rather stable and workable. It’s being implemented in more and more sites every day and canvas, which I’m assuming is what they’ll leverage the most, is just about finalized. The spec is good enough to work with, at the very least.

Honestly, the biggest problem with HTML5 right now is video codecs, and that isn’t even covered by the spec. Oh ya, and the fact IE8 and below don’t even know what HTML5 is.

• pakoito says:

IE9 can’t HTML5 shit. They only pass their own standards but they still don’t support most of the BASIC features.

• peanut says:

I seem to have missed the part where they mention HTML5. I think most of Jagex’s previous games have been based on Java, but it’ll be interesting to see if this is pure HTML.

Most of the basic HTML5 features are fine in webkit, opera and firefox, but IE6-8 require Javascript hacks to make even the basic elements render correctly. Canvas and other features will never work in those browsers without plugins, unfortunately. CSS3 is important, it’s also lacking full implementation across browsers, currently Chrome is the only browser close to delivering full support.

Javascript for web-browsers is also a pitiful language. So there are some pretty big problems with delivering rich content like games at the moment.

• wu wei says:

Lacuna Expanse is a fairly well fleshed out game that appears to be entirely HTML5 + JS at the client side (and Perl at the backend, I believe).

The web client appears to be open sourced too.

It’s a space-themed city builder with multiplayer aspects, mostly revolving around trade, with building time being the main limiting economy. I get a very strong EVE vibe from large aspects of the game; it’s also perfect to play in EVE’s in-game browser on those long, lonely trips between mission hubs.

2. pakoito says:

Who is Jagex?

• westyfield says:

They’re reponsible for Runescape.

• pakoito says:

I played runescape like 6 or 7 years ago when it was the first 3D game in flash (or was it java?) and character were made of clay. It seems they have improved a bit over the years,,,

• Pop says:

What? Gundam fanfiction and “Can I has…” memes?

3. liq3 says:

So they pick two of the worst things on the internet and expect me to play it? O.o

phlebas says:

Anything to suggest their innovation is in something interesting rather than just pretties?

5. coldvvvave says:

>I’d like an anti-social strategy game

Stalin vs Martians, perhaps?

6. Temple to Tei says:

Hold on what happened to Stellar Dawn the only pre-launch sign up game I have ever pre-launch signed up for?

And mechscape? I so wanted a new runescape in space.
    Or just a brain wipe so I can go and play runescape again (that’s a memory wipe not an intelligence wipe thank you very much)

RPS list made me realise just how many games I did not play over the last 5 years, because I was playing Runescape.
    And Stars! was the best pc game you missed off the list.

• Hoaxfish says:

mechscape got scrapped… can’t remember the exact details but I think it was to do with how they felt it had gone in the wrong direction generally. Stellar Dawn has apparently picked up some of the stuff they had for Mechscape, but is doing something else with it.

• Temple to Tei says:

Someone else likes Stars!

Yep knew about Mechscape -meant to put a sadface at the end of my comment.
      They had the assets for something sci-fi hence Stellar Dawn. It looks like -holy moly I just went and looked for some stuff on Stellar midway through posting.

Interesting stuff out there on things they are up to -like hiring staff for Stellar.
      Wowza on their finances, thought they were stuggling:

Still think of them as a little start-up company, but then I managed to read Penny Arcade for years before I figured out just how popular they are.

7. Walker says:

Let’s hope that “Social Game” doesn’t mean “Overwrought Pyramid Scheme” this time.