Call Of Juarez: The Cartel Trailer Is Here

By Quintin Smith on March 4th, 2011 at 1:28 pm.

Some alley gats, there.

“MONEY. DRUGS. AND GUNS,” quoth the new trailer for Call of Juarez’s upcoming modern-day sequel, which is an interesting coincidence as that’s my life motto. Why, only last night I had a bit too much tea and stayed up shooting men in Dawn of War: Retribution until 2am! Ah, this crazy lifestyle of mine will catch up with me one day. But when that day comes and I’m sat there in my wheelchair, old and wrinkled like some forgotten orange, I’ll be able to say that I did it. I stayed up and shot men when I should have been sleeping. I lived the dream.

I actually went to see Call of Juarez being demoed last week, and can confirm that it is both as untouchably masculine and resolutely Wild Westy as the footage implies. Will find the time to write about it very soon. Until then- moving pictures!

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. coldvvvave says:

Why did the car blew up?

explain to me EXPLAIN TO ME

2. Lacessit says:

Music’s pretty good. Better than I remember it in Bound in blood. That was a bit of a disppointment actually.

• Rath says:

Agreed. I enjoyed certain parts of Bound In Blood, but it was on the whole a disappointment. Even the voice of Gul Dukat couldn’t pull it back from being samey.

• Schadenfreude says:

I’m amazed that it’s cover mechanic hasn’t been stolen out the wazoo by now however.

• Oak says:

I loved Bound in Blood and I loved the music in Bound in Blood and I loved the cover system in Bound in Blood. Stick that positivity in your pipe and groove on it.

• LionsPhil says:

If we’re going to have cover systems, CoJ2′s was far and away the best.
      Although I still need to finish it. :/ For some reason it didn’t grab me quite as hard as CoJ1. Didn’t help that the horses went from well-implemented to being reskinned motorbikes.

The Max Payne dive and silly pistol-whipping look pretty terrible but presumably they’re just for the trailer. Change of setting might help avoid it digging itself a rut and CoJ1 was damn good so they can make good manshoots. Demo most certainly required.

3. Bhazor says:

Darci Stern?

“So I said why not try a few bad cops?”
    Because they tend to fall asleep at their desk and leave their guns in Burger King.

4. Springy says:

Bulletproof vests pour femme, designed to protect and flatter. Mainly the second one.

5. zergrush says:

Aren’t there any cleavage protecting vests? Female cops must have a pretty hard time at shootouts…

6. YanDaik says:

Feels like that female character shouldn’t be there.

7. Oak says:

A guy on Shacknews suggested that this is the video game version of a “How would u deal with teh Mexican cartels” thread. Seems about 110% accurate.

8. torchedEARTH says:

Looks shit.

9. Teddy Leach says:

Call of Juarez: Modern Yee-Haw.

10. konrad_ha says:

Oh god, I just got a little dumber just by watching this awful trailer.

11. nuh uh no way says:

That was so fucking awful I couldn’t help but laugh.

12. TechRogue says:

Did he seriously shoot a single bullet from a pump-action shotgun? I think he did.

13. Jimbo says:

Bound in Blood was surprisingly good. This looks awful. What a shame.

14. Calabi says:

Does anyone else think games are stuck in the eighty’s? There gonna end up being left behind.

15. Eukatheude says:

I guess their concept of “atmosphere” is “cowboy hats”.

16. Mr_Day says:

Is that opening a nod at Duty Calls?

Times have changed since the old west, yet nothing’s changed.

Or has it?

17. Navagon says:

I can almost picture the people sat in a boardroom making sure this checked all their requirements. Hell they’ve even got themselves their own controversial modern warfare setting and token female.

This is a total contrast to their Dead Island trailer which exhibited unrestrained artistic freedom.

18. gwathdring says:

I loved the cover mechanic in the CoJ2 demo, and wanted a better game to use it (it seemed a little too rail-shooty for my tastes). I was kind of hoping this game would do that. And I suppose there are great trailers to bad games, and bad trailers to great games.

But damn.

That was horrible.

19. gwathdring says:

On the other hand, that was some pretty amazing shirt animation in the first couple of seconds. Followed by one of the most bloody awkwardly timed diving shots in the history of fight choreography. Well … outside Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon’s genre.

20. Davie says:

Game looks eh. Music, on the other hand, I do appreciate.

21. Jackablade says:

Exec 1 – Hm. Call of Juarez didn’t sell particularly well. Any suggestions on how we could move more units.
    Exec 2 -The setting isn’t boring enough. A reduction in the interesting factor would see an increase in sales of… *presses buttons randomly on calculator*… seventeen thousand per cent.
    Exec 1 – Sorted. Cocaine party!

22. Matt says:

The Minuteman Project’s Game of the Year

23. terazeal says:

Interesting. They’ve stopped taking themselves seriously. This could turn out well.

Comment on this story