Churn, No Bill: Chernobyl Terrorist Attack

By Jim Rossignol on March 17th, 2011 at 12:20 pm.

I blew that thing up. TARGET... DESTROYED.
There’s a lot of stuff I play for RPS that I don’t end up posting about. This might have been one of those, except John said: “You should post about this, because your are our comedy Chernobyl expert,” or something. So I feel obliged to post. Usually when there’s something playable to post – a demo or whatnot – I tend to think that, well, someone will get something out of it. I can’t really argue that in the case of the Chernobyl Terrorist Attack demo. I don’t think anyone will get much out of it, really. I mean there is something interesting about it, because it’s a game of what would happen if terrorists took over Pripyat, with a view to blowing up the Chernobyl reactor. (Can you blow something up twice?) In reality we’d probably say “okay, have fun, terrorists!” in the face of such a threat, and that would be that. But not in this game. Instead you are sent in to a lo-fi version of Stalker to kill them all.

It’s not very good. The website is here, in case you have reverse taste brain.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Centy says:

Actually yes the reactor is still ‘hot’ and could be blown up again only with much more devastating results. It’s actually bloody amazing that there’s so few Ukrainian Militia men guarding the zone.

• Jim Rossignol says:

To the Daily Mail! This game is clearly a terrorist planning tool.

• Cooper says:

An explosion wouldn’t do much on its own. Start a fire though and that’s another thing. There’s a lot of fire teams on site (keeping forest fires in highly contaminated areas under control is a major task the Ukrainian emergency services have to deal with.). But they don’t have the equipment on site to deal with a terrorist attack involving a fueled commercial airliner. Airline fuel burns hot and for a long time.

Terrorist attacks aside, the zone and reactor 4 present huge, ongoing problems that a fairly poor government are unable to meet properly, and there hasn’t been the needed international support in terms of funding to do the ongoing work and surveys the area so badly needs.

• GunFox says:

Actually an explosion could be devastating. The sarcophagus that shields the world from the 195 tons of remaining active fuel has holes in it and is structurally unsound. If it were to collapse it would unleash a massive radioactive dust cloud that could be significantly more damaging than the initial explosion.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

GunFox is right – some have referred to the Sarcophagus as the “Russian Pyramids”, because the fuel inside is going to remain radioactive for many thousands of years, so thats how long the containment needs to last. The Russian govt have recently been trying to get the world to stump up several billion to fix the thing, because its falling down. The reason they dont want it to fall down is exactly as said – the thing is so filled with dust from the decayed ‘corium’ (the melted fuel rods that fused with sand) that losing containment would be a BIG problem. The corium used to be hard, like glass, which made it safer – but it is breaking down. As water gets in, more radioactive crap will be released and fission could even resume (though not a nuclear explosion), as water under certain circumstances is a “neutron moderator” – i.e. the gas pedal for fission reactions. So yes – blowing up the sarcophagus would be a bit of an issue.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Hint:
      If you want something to last thousands of years, don’t get the Russian government to build it….

• SuperNashwanPower says:

GET OUT OF HERE, STALKER
      How did I manage that
      YOU CANT GO THERE.. DONT JUST STAND THERE, COME IN
      Hello, Hello
      etc

edit: this wasnt meant to be a reply to this bit. Oops.

2. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Chechens might blow up a reactor thousands of miles from where they are? Better bomb their entire capital to rubble again Mr Putin!

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

*facepalm*

• Centy says:

Well that would be the best way to do it but remember Chernobyl isn’t in Russia and Chechen separatists have attacked far from home many times before. Moscow Theatre siege and Beslan being two high profile examples. It’s not exactly at all likely but how ever far out it seems it’s got a kernel of truth in it.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

So Chechen rebels attack targets in Russia in an ongoing tit for tat war of extreme unpleasantness. with the Chechens using really low tech stuff, are going to attack a Ukrainian reactor in a move that would garner Russia tremendous amounts of European (and likely American) support for little to no gain for themselves.

Yes yes Beslan didn’t win them many friends but it was within the context of “you’ve killed our children we’ll kill yours.” (though the Russian security forces seem almost as good at killing hostages as the Chechens) In such a tit for tat scenario bringing the nuclear option on to the table against the country with the second largest nuclear stockpile on earth is probably not an avenue they wish to pursue.

• Centy says:

That is rather a naive interpretation of what would happen. The chain of events you describe with Russia using the threat of nuclear deployment would never happen for the same reason it never happened in the Cold War. The world is still too divided. I don’t know though I haven’t got much more than basic information on either side to say what would happen other than what history tells me.

3. goosnargh says:

Too soon man.

4. Moni says:

If we keep discussing potential terrorist plots, will we eventually get Rock, Paper, Shotgun on some kind of watchlist?

5. bill says:

Not sure this is that tactful given the situation in Japan.
    But then gain they showed Ghostbusters on tv in tokyo today.. the movie where they walk around with smallscale unstable nuclear reactors on their back, big chunks fall off a skyscraper and Ecto1 and the team sink into a big crack in the street. Not sure they thought that through. Forgot what a great movie it is though.

• Berzee says:

So how long a nuclear-disaster-free stretch do we as a planet need to have before this becomes tactful? :P

• bill says:

No current ongoing nuclear incidents/panics. After that, 3.4 hours.

• Xercies says:

To try and shut down every film/tv series that has something to do with an attack that a country has just had seems a little silly.

• Tei says:

Soldiers in the front of wars play war games. So I suppose civilians are allowed to play disasters games or watch disasters movies everywhere.

I know and understand that a corporation or any other may want to do the gest to remove the movie/game. is just that a thing done to look Cool, but is not doing anyone a favor, is a empty gest.
      Imagine if we ban militar games in afganistan and irak. I can imagine more than one soldier angry at that.

So, please, don’t ask for more of these things. Are not helping humanity. Fight real disasters, not virtual ones.

• gorgol says:

It is not tactful at all… But I must admit, the troll appreciating part of me lol’ed pretty hard at the article in combination with the comments.

• Berzee says:

Woa woa woa, he never suggested prohibiting the game! He just said it wasn’t tactful. =) Give the boy his due :P

• Tyshalle says:

I’m not real sure what the hell this has to do with Japan.

• psyk says:

Japan natural disaster
      this game terrorist attack

• Berzee says:

They both have nuclear!

It’s much the same as if your Grandpa just had a heart attack, and then a game is released where you can shoot people in the heart, but you only shoot people in the legs because the heart would be in bad taste for 3.4 hrs.

• bill says:

whoa! people oversensitive much?

I knew i shouldn’t have posted on this article. Clue was in the title.

6. Berzee says:

*waiting…* I am so ready for this…

^ a reply to bill of course

7. iLag says:

…from the publisher of Pony World 2! that’s what I call diversity. (maybe Pony World 2 is Pony World War 2, abbreviated?)

8. Navagon says:

Hmm I think I’ll stick with Call of Pripyat Complete if it’s all the same with you.

9. westyfield says:

Enjoy your radiation poisoning, terrorists!

10. ZIGS says:

The Stalin Subway is better

11. mollemannen says:

this game my computer sad. i had to feed it CoP for an hour before the tears stopped pouring.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Mine speaks russian and I’m pretty sure its swearing at me.

12. SuperNashwanPower says:

WARNING: This game features indestructable moonwalking chickens. Also, if People Can Fly’s “Duty Calls” took itself seriously, it would be this.

13. dejoh says:

Im sure there are people out there that would enjoy this demo, I had a freaking head trauma after playing it. My computer’s still mad at me for downloading it..
    Good weapons sounds.

14. Moonracer says:

Universal Soldier 3. Same idea but better.

15. SamC says:

I made the mistake of turning depth of field on. This must simulate the protagonist having some terrible eye disease. I also liked the part where it turned into a literal corridor shooter. And the invisible going the wrong way resets. At least there were checkpoints, and the radiation seems to enable your dude to heal almost instantly if not being shot. Good times.