Elderer: Skyrim For PC Detailed By Bethesda

By Jim Rossignol on July 6th, 2011 at 12:50 pm.

As a number of you have pointed out to me this morning, this is more like it. Answering community questions on The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Bethesda Todd Howard, Bruce Nesmith, and Matt Carofano have addressed a bunch of issues with the PC version of the game, including emphasizing the return of mod tool stuff (which we already knew was happening). Key bits highlighted below.

• “Higher res textures, larger render modes” and “a bunch of other effects”. I’d interpret this vague techy talk to mean not just resolution and such but also increased draw distance for things like shadows, characters, and environmental details. That would definitely be a good thing for Skyrim both looking good and taking advantage of increase CPU, memory and GPU power on high end PCs.
  • “Power user” stuff relating to keyboard controls. Not quite sure what Howard means by that, but presuming that it’s just more keys for stuff that would otherwise have to be locked away in menus and stuff.
  • “The whole interface is much less ‘look at giant fonts!’ than, say, Oblivion,” says Howard. This can only be a good thing, especially after Alec described the menus as “pure sex”. I’ve always found Bethesda interfaces to be awkward in the extreme (reaching a peak of hideousness in Fallout 3) so anything would be an improvement.
  • Mod support. We already knew this, but it’s brilliant. Morrowind and Oblivion have both been given fresh life by modders, and it’s going to happen again for Skyrim.
  • No 64-bit version of the game. Aw, come on now. We all need a reason to get big fat 64-bit systems, now, don’t we?

In conclusion: still looking forward to this. Here’s a link to John’s preview, just in case you missed it.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Corrupt_Tiki says:

No 64-Bit version, hmm, interesting choice (I have one ofc, but I thought that would almost be standard option?)

• evilbobthebob says:

Yeah, this is particularly surprising since a 64 bit version would allow the game to use a great deal more RAM, which would surely be a good thing for such a large game. Someone more knowledgeable will probably correct me on this though.

PoulWrist says:

Very few games come with 64bit executables. More, certainly, than 5 years ago, but still in the minority. Guess there are no obvious advantages to this, and that it must cost something, that isn’t justified by its PC-only thing, given consoles not supporting it.

• jon_hill987 says:

Unless it needs more than 2GB of RAM all to itself there isn’t much call for 64bit, though it would be useful for when modders make the inevitable higher resolution texture packs.

• Arca says:

Kind of a shame. I recently built a new PC and will more than likely be able to run this at the highest settings but not being able to use the other 3 of my 4 cores is a bit of a bummer. I’ll probably need those extra cores with all the mods I will inevitably end up running.

• Unaco says:

Or, you know, they can just make the exe LargeAddressAware (or whatever it is these days), then a 32 Bit exe can handle more than 2GB of RAM (upto 4GB I think).

@Arca… Where does it say anything about it being limited to Single Cores? Fairly sure Oblivion made use of multiple cores, and I can’t see them removing that feature.

• Kdansky says:

That doesn’t make sense to me. Any PC that isn’t 64 bit won’t be able to run it anyway, if it even remotely like Fallout 3 or Oblivion. 4GB of RAM isn’t that much any more with current texture sizes.

• LionsPhil says:

There is very little reason to ship a 64-bit binary unless they need more than ~3GB of memory[1]. There are a few drawbacks:
      * You, obviously, restrict yourself to people running 64-bit Windows on 64-bit platforms. Windows XP gamers will be left in the cold (since XP64 doesn’t have working, up-to-date nVidia drivers any more). Anyone lumbered with 32-bit Vista/7 for some horrible cheapskate or disinformation reason will be out too, so it’s even tighter a restriction than, say, DirectX 10/11 only.
      * You complicate your life dealing with any third-party libraries you have to integrate with, and modern games tend to use lots of third-party libraries. If they don’t have a 64-bit version themselves, you can’t directly link with them. (This is probably the real reason they haven’t done it.)
      * Your own code has to be 64-bit clean, too. Nobody starts from scratch unless they want to spend a few years playing catch-up with the competition while said competition are pushing ahead, so you’re going to be building on code that assumed (quite reasonably, since you needed it to work by last Tuesday) 32-bit pointers forever. And while you knew it was wrong and bad and C/C++ standards say “don’t”, you stuck a pointer in a 32-bit integer, or you crammed it into an RGBA colour for a clever hack, or your save routine that picks graphs of objects apart into something you can stash on disk only looks at the last 32 bits of the pointer. (This is another likely candidate.)
      * You change performance criteria slightly. 64-bit programs have larger instruction sizes so fit less code in the CPU’s instruction cache. As a tradeoff, they get more registers (think: very very fast on-die memory) to play with. The effect of this is probably miniscule, mind—it can hit badly in some theoretical cases, but I’m not aware of any showstopping real-world examples.

1. The posts above are not wrong; the defualt 32-bit limit is 2GB due to workarounds for old programs doing stupid things, and can be flagged to allow theoretically up to the full 4GB, but Windows will claim some of that address space for its own purposes (yes, virtual—not the same as physical reservations by hardware) on 32-bit systems.

Bonus footnote: Your extra RAM will not be wasted. Assuming Skyrim still loads/unloads cells from disk as you roam, Windows will see that activity and keep copies in its own disk cache. Modern Windows with ReadyBoost (should!) even start preloading cells with spare disk I/O capacity while you’re clicking about on the title menu, having “learnt” which files Skyrim tends to touch. Microsoft spend a lot of effort on this kind of stuff.

• Starky says:

@Kdansky
      4GB is fine, textures are loaded into graphics card RAM, not system RAM and that is counted separately.

Even if you had a terabyte of RAM with a 64bit exe would only help loading times, you’d see a marginal performance increase at best.

• max pain says:

Textures are actually stored in VRAM (that’s on a graphics card), unrelated to system ram. I don’t see the hype about 64bits other than OS memory limit on to 4GB on 32 systems.

Game would NOT benefit from GPU operations – your card would still be pumping the same framerate as with 32bit executable.
      It would only theoretically benefit from cpu computations such as physics, AI, but only in certain operations – this is far from meaning that the whole subsystem would see much speedup.

In fact, if the game is not coded with 64bit systems in mind from the begining, it would probaby result in lots of bugs to fix if they were to compile it for 64 systems.

So stop riding the hype train, you’d get practicaly no speedup, but you will get more polished game because devs don’t have to waste time on this.

• LionsPhil says:

@Starky: It’s probably both. Should you need to swap textures in VRAM (e.g. changing area), it’d be faster to do that from system memory than from all the way to disk.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Ding ding ding. This can be a real pain in the ass. Though I’d hope that most library vendors have resolved any issues by now and can offer 64-bit versions.

Personally, I’ve never had any trouble with compiling existing code to 64-bit, and I’ve written quite a bit of C and C++, drivers and userland code. Flick the switch, compile, and oh look, all the unit tests still pass. Just use the appropriate types for everything, use sizeof() rather than assuming, and you’re probably good.

• DrGonzo says:

Why does it limit you? Hasn’t Unreal Tournament had 64bit executable and 32bit executable for years? I would have thought it would just make the game run even better for those with 64bit systems.

• LionsPhil says:

Why does it limit you?

Didn’t I just cover that in detail? It’s not “limit”, it’s “complexity”, read (as Max put it): less time spent making the game fun and debugged.

I also covered why this is not the case. Despite what marketing keeps telling you, bigger numbers do not always mean faster and better and you do not need to whine for them.

• PodX140 says:

There actually is a really helpful program that I’ve been using that “supposedly” unlocks any 32 bit exe into a large adress aware one or whatever it is. I’ve been using it on anno 1404 Venice, which no longer crashes, so I assume it works fine. I’ll just use the same on this, no problems for me :D

• Brutal Deluxe says:

@LionsPhil: that’s the first time I’ve ever been given a bonus footnote. Thank you sir!

2. KillerB says:

Hurrah! Another excuse to buy a new more up to date graphics card!! I quite enjoyed Fallout 3’s clunkey Pip-boy menu interface, whish i had one for real life…….

• Bilbo says:

There’s probably an app for that.

• jon_hill987 says:

There is an app for that. It’s not on that Fisherpr… I mean Apple phone either.

• studenteternal says:

Not sure I would want one in real life, but I did enjoy the pip boy interface of fallout 3, I thought it kept tone with the originals quite nicely and bit of life to it without getting overly involved every time you wanted to get into a menu. Personal taste though I guess.

Oblivion on the other had, even after being modded to correct size ratios was still solidly ‘meh’

• Kdansky says:

I quit Fallout 3 because I spent so much time with that disgusting piece of interface (8 lines of text? On my 1900×1200 screen?), and it is the reason I didn’t buy New Vegas. Yes, it is pretty and immersive when you use it the first time. But that stops as soon as you realize that you can look at your arm to stop time, chug five gallons of beer, eat three corpses and seventy steaks, wash it down with three stimpacks and then resume fighting.

At that point, it’s silly to the point of immersion-breaking AND still impractical.

Designers: Read up on Scott Meyer’s Keyhole Problem. Mandatory Computer Science paper about user interfaces.

At least modded Oblivion wasn’t horrifying, just solid mediocrity.

• Starky says:

Or you could have spent 30 seconds over at fallout 3 nexus and downloaded a UI mod that fixed it all.

• ulix says:

Exactly. All you’re criticizing can (probably) be solved with mods.

Joshua says:

But it shouldn’t NEED to be fixed by mods. Any game can be awesome when it can be modded to the extremes, but a lot of people just want to pick up and play instead of first spending hours on preperation.

• Pointless Puppies says:

It shouldn’t need to, but it CAN. Yes, the game shouldn’t have been that way when it shipped, but quitting the game because of something that can easily be fixed is silly.

I’d rather have that option than dealing with those annoyances on a console game, where what I see is what I get, no ifs ands or buts.

• Zyrusticae says:

The fact that it *CAN* be fixed with mods takes precedence over the fact that it HAD to, because there are very few games (if any!) that have the sheer moddability of Oblivion and Fallout 3. If it CAN be fixed, and *easily* at that, quitting the game outright is most certainly a rather extreme response.

3. Bilbo says:

I’ve found myself playing a lot of Oblivion since the Steam deal netted me all the DLC i’d previously never bothered with. To say I’ve been enjoying it would be an understatement – I logged about 32 hours with it in three days – and now I’m *obscenely* excited about Skyrim.

• Bodminzer says:

Frostcrag Spire is the best home for any character in any game. Stunning.

• Clean3d says:

I picked up Oblivion from Steam as well, thinking to myself, “I know everyone hates this, but I’m determined to like it anyway!” Turns out it took very little effort to like it.

Frostcrag Spire is indeed cool (har har), but I rather liked the other place due to the fact that it had a chest that I could hide my stuff in. Got to figure out how to make money and fix the two places up!

• LionsPhil says:

picked it up from Steam

You’re still in the honeymoon period.

Oblivion is one of those games that starts of “WOW!”, then falls off to “dear god this is tedious”.

• Bilbo says:

Pretty much anything gets boring after you sink enough time into it.

• Mctittles says:

I agree. Also you could spend your entire life playing mods if you wanted too.

• Ultra-Humanite says:

I’ve easily put more than 250 hours into Oblivion and I’m still not bored of it.

• LionsPhil says:

Pretty much any X is Y under conditions Z. What’s your point?

Oblivion is generally considered over the course of its expected playtime, as driven by the main plot and “obvious” side-missions* to get dull; especially compared to that initial wonder as you leave the prison and enter the surface world.

*That is, excluding those that involve seeking out every last corner of the map, since obviously that kind of thing is for 100% completion crazies who are not getting bored of the task. But including stuff around town that you will discover while following the main plot.

• skinlo says:

I personally did not suffer that problem.

• Jason Moyer says:

I did a 150 hour playthrough of the first game and then a 250 or something hour playthrough once all the DLC/expansions were out and can’t say I ever got bored. I mean, I stopped playing once I had completed every quest I could find and explored both maps fully, but that was more because I wanted more content rather than disliking the experience. That was also completely umodded other than the unofficial TES patches (which fix bugs) and the DelayDLC mod.

• Fiatil says:

I still pick up Oblivion every few months and play it, for all of its problems it’s a wonderful game. It’s not really that tedious or repetitive; it’s a huge open ended RPG with lots of stuff to do. Yes after playing it for 200+ hours you have killed a lot of monsters in caves, but what exactly do you expect to be doing for that long in an RPG? Add in mods to fix whatever your particular issue is with the game is (and there are some, the base world leveling is horrible) and you get to enjoy it too!

• Bilbo says:

I think you’ve misjudged popular opinion on this one, Phil. The straw poll hasn’t got your back.

• thebigJ_A says:

200+ hours in Oblivion, never got bored of it. (They even fixed the lack of “Morrowind Crazy” with the Shivering Isles DLC).

And this was on console, so I had no mods to fix anything. (I was poor back then, my pc couldn’t run it.)

Just throwing my vote into the poll.

4. Jumwa says:

It’s mostly all good, exciting news. I like the sound of bringing back Enchanting (it was always a majour skill of my characters in Morrowind) and crafting. The added relationship aspects are very fun sounding.

The only real damper for me is that they are sticking with the restrictive Oblivion style clothing/gear options, and making them, in fact, worse. I loved having all the seperate pieces of armour in Morrowind, and slapping on plate over my undershirt and pants, then slipping a robe on over the suit of metal. Everything enchanted up the arse.

• Jason Moyer says:

Wearing a robe in Morrowind always looked silly because most of the armor in the game would clip through it.

5. Jools says:

I’m having a really hard time interpreting the answer to the UI question as anything other than “it’s going to fucking suck and take up a ton of screen real estate, as usual.” Looking forward to the inevitable UI mods.

• Jim Rossignol says:

Seems to suggest the opposite to me?

• Jools says:

I guess I’m just too cynical or something, but to me it just sounds like a standard issue non-reply when it comes to PC version related issues. Great, they’re not focusing on “giant fonts,” but that doesn’t really address the fundamental problem that a UI designed for rendering at 720p and meant to be viewed at 6 feet is probably going to seem too big on higher resolution screens. And the power user stuff sounds an awful lot like Bethesda playing up something absurdly basic like interface hotkeys.

• Nick says:

Yes but Jim.. Todd Howard isn’t exactly known for telling the truth in these sort of situations.

• simonh says:

In the G4TV E3 demo they actually show the UI. Aesthetically it looks really good, they’ve discarded the cliché medieval menu for a flatter, sans-serif more modern look. The 3D items are neat, and the map looks incredible! It really looks like they’ve put some thought into the UI this time around.

My guess is that the main difference between the PC and console versions will be the 4-point star thing with which you select menus on the consoles.

Also: Notice the Nirnroot, Horker Meat and Sweetroll.

• Jeremy says:

I would buy the game for that map alone.

• Pointless Puppies says:

FIMMION WANT SWEETWOLL. SWEEEEETWOOOOOOLLL….

amateurviking says:

Colour me excited, this comes out just after I get back from a 3 month trip where my PC (and thus any chance of gaming) cannot follow. As such I shall be doubly excited to get my hands on it.

• Strangineer says:

Haha, I always love that feeling when coming home from a long trip and being completely unable to use a computer mouse, going too fast and then too slow and not being able to grip it properly, etc. Computers seem so exciting and futuristic then!

7. BebopBraunbaer says:

open worlds like skyrim should be stored in >= 8GB 64bit system!

8. Bodminzer says:

I really like what I’ve seen of the inventory so far. Having a scrollable 3 column arrangement, a bit like a file structure, seems easily navigable by both mice and controllers, and seeing all of your items fully rendered rather than just text on a list, like in Oblivion, I’d imagine would make more powerful items feel special. Maybe It’s just me, but I love games that have character browsers, like Arkham Asylum, and I guess this is an extension of that. Still expecting people to screech about the text not being 1pt and that the interface isn’t a command line.

9. Metonymy says:

I’m sure a lot of us use a PC for the better interface, modding, and higher frame rates. Games have looked good on the lowest settings for quite some time now.

For me, the only thing that matters is the game itself. The inherent simplicity of Oblivion, slow weapons swings and a hundred versions of ‘fireball,’ makes the gameworld itself the only content, and for me, that just isn’t enough. Without some thought placed into the effect of player actions on the world, without some choice within combat itself, it simply won’t be good enough.

I don’t believe that making a good rpg story is enough to create a successful game. As a designer you must first respect the players who don’t care about what “Yjord zborned daemon nograns in olde cwcharycha.” (or whatever the story is, something that would make Tolkien wipe his brow worryingly I’m sure) You must also create a legitimate game. This requires the kind of visual creativity and storytelling of FO3 and NV, as well as the varied combat choices typical of Blizzard games.

10. yhalothar says:

A great basis for Obsidian’s new Fallout game!

• Metonymy says:

Exactly. It’s like they don’t realize how burned out we are on fantasy. The visual storytelling of FO3, and the better story of NV, without straying too far from what made those games great would be an instant purchase for me. Maybe a lengthier progression chain, some more thought to explosives and energy weapons, a little more complexity to stealth, enemies that do more than shoot, the ability to alter the wasteland with money, for good or evil.

• Raziel_aXd says:

I’m not burned out on fantasy. If quality is present, then bring it on, who cares if it’s fantasy or of what kind. But I do want another Obsidian Fallout after Fallout 4.

• Pointless Puppies says:

@Metonymy:

Speak for yourself. Skyrim is bar none my most anticipated title of this year and could care less about Fallout.

• FunkyBadger3 says:

I’d say the setting of FO and FONV were good, but the actual story was dull and badly put together.

• Jerykk says:

@FunkyBadger3

What was dull or badly put together about FO:NV’s story? I thought it was great. It was easily the most open-ended story of any RPG I’ve ever played. Certainly more interesting than Oblivion, Morrowind and FO3’s stories and writing in general.

11. Bureaucrat says:

They’re making the right sort of noises, but based on how their previous efforts have played out, I’ll wait for the mod community to fix whatever winds up being broken in the mechanics of this release. For all their rep as an RPG developer, Bethesda writes some consistently terrible RPG rules systems.

Perhaps a 2012 Steam summer sale purchase.

12. Patches the Hyena says:

As Bodminzer says, the fully rendered items are making me salivate. One of the few flaws of Dragon Age Origins was the crappy inventory icons.

13. Stevostin says:

“(reaching a peak of hideousness in Fallout 3) ”

I just love Fallout 3 UI design. I agree it’s not the handiest (although I am more comfortable with than with most other RPGs, such as The Witcher 2) but damn, it’s looking good and does a lot for atmosphere. I know it’s not everyone’s opinion, but it is mine ;-)

14. Kdansky says:

I find it annoying that they removed Levitate and Recall, so they can “tell a better story”. By which they mean: Do the insanely boring “taken prisoner / forced to be passive during cutscene” which was done over and over again in Fallout 3.

The fun thing about a sandbox RPG is that you can mess around with silly spells and get unusual results. But they’d rather have everything locked down in a corridor, so they can tell their story, instead of letting the player make his/her own. Why don’t they make a movie instead, if they want to dictate what the player does anyway? Fallout 3 was a prime example of how that went wrong.

amateurviking says:

Whilst I mourn the passing of levitate and recall, I can understand that their presence does make balancing the combat system difficult/impossible.

e.g.: there’s a big nasty monster, no biggie I shall hover just out of reach and pepper it with arrows for 20 minutes until it be dead.

It does kind of remove some of the ‘threat’ from wandering about in the frozen north.

• Kefren says:

amateurviking: thye could just think “What would happen in this situation?” human-type enemy runs for it, dodging all the while, takes cover in a building. Maybe finds a spear and lobs it at you when you don’t expect it. Animal runs, heads for forest and cover, can’t be seen easily.

Various options that would be really satisfying, prevent immersion-breaking, yet still let you have great powers.

• Bureaucrat says:

Yeah, the “storytelling advantages” to eliminating Levitate and the teleport spells are that they make it a lot easier to contol how the player enters certain areas. Makes the player go through the front gate to get into the city (talking to the NPCs there, witnessing any scripted sequences there, etc.), explore towers from the ground up rather than from the top down, etc. Much easier to control the way the player experiences the environments if a wall actually means “you cannot pass,” which makes quest writing, balancing, and a whole lot of other design areas much much easier. The downside being that it also eliminates a whole lot of avenues for creative player-driven problem-solving.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

Give me agency over scripted events any day.

• Urthman says:

Kefren, your examples of how NPC monsters might try to deal with levitating characters are just convincing me further that levitation would be game-breakingly overpowered in a game like Skyrim.

• Nick says:

Well, levitation wasn’t gamebreaking in morrowind, anymore than just leveling up was. Not like everything in Oblivion wasn’t gamebreakingly overpowered when you knew what to do anyway.

• Kefren says:

Urthman: my point is that being airborne wouldn’t necessarily be all good. You would be visible to enemies from a larger distance away, you have no cover when archers and spellcasters let loose on you, and perhaps it increases your chances of being spotted as prey by dragons.

“Yay, I chase you little goblin, throwing rocks at your head… get out from that copse of trees you little bast… oh, you have found some archer friends, I’ll fly away quickly… uh oh, dragon coming at me from out of the sun, Icarus warned me not to go so high… shit, runnign out of mana, I forgot that flying drains it like a City Governor drains the coffers… ouch, hit land hard, took damage, under fire from goblins, and a dragon about to eat me. Look what a mess you’ve gotten me into!”

• FunkyBadger3 says:

Its a single-player game, they don’t need to make it balance, they need to make it fun.

• Jerykk says:

I think balance is equally important in both single-player and multiplayer games. If any single weapon, item or tactic is more effective than the rest, then the game loses a lot of depth and challenge. Bethesda’s games have always had balancing problems and as a result, their games have always been too easy. For example, in Oblivion, you could enchant all your armor and jewelry with Chameleon, allowing you to basically stay invisible 24/7. In Morrowind, you could do the same, in addition to permanently floating in the sky while reigning down AoE arrows on your enemies. In Fallout 3, you could use sneak critical headshots to kill pretty much any enemy in one hit and if you somehow got hurt or crippled, you could take a nap for an hour and completely heal.

To me, depth and challenge are essential components of any game.

15. Binman88 says:

Power user stuff, y’know, like pressing F5.

oceanclub says:

I’m currently upgrading with this and Deus Ex 3 in mind so I can maximise the eye candy. Roll on autumn…..

17. Turin Turambar says:

A game designed for consoles is not going to need really a 64 bit version.

Diziet Sma says:

Apart from the fact that the XBox 360 sports three 64bit xenon powerpc chips and the Sony PS3 has a mixture of 64bit and 128bit systems. It’s therefore safe to assume that the operating system on the XBox 360 is 64bit. As for the Sony system I’m afraid I don’t know but back when I had linux running on mine it was a 64bit install of fedora.

• Turin Turambar says:

A for what do you want to have a 64 bit version if the game isn’t going to need a 64 bit memory address?

Stijn says:

Why, for raising my Mercantile skill to 18446744073709551616, of course.

18. poop says:

mod tools ar egood news, look forward to picking this one up for $20 on july 6 2013

19. Real Horrorshow says:

No 64 bit version actually makes me feel confident about how it will perform on my system.

Screw you guys!

20. CaspianRoach says:

I’ve read the full interview and honestly I’m disappointed by the answers. Thing is, practically all of them can be applied to Oblivion and while it was an awesome game, they do need to evolve their games better to fit current game market. As it stands right now it’s just an enormous Oblivion DLC.

21. outoffeelinsobad says:

Looking forward to searching for daedric artifacts.

22. Derppy says:

Wonderful news, fixed just about everything I was worried about in Skyrim.

Modding support alone is a great way to support the PC community. They previously claimed the game would be very similar on every platform, which is kind of a letdown since console hardware is 6 years old, but now that seems to be fixed too. Can’t wait to see how epic draw distances I can get with my new crossfire rig :)

I hated Oblivion UI and I hate many game UI’s in general since they restrict the user from doing stuff efficiently. If the UI adapts to screen resolution, presents a lot of data at once and allows efficient use and real customization, I’ll be extremely happy. Looking forward to high-res screenshots of the PC UI. Not expecting anything as great as EVE Online UI, but anything is better than Oblivion :D

23. ScubaMonster says:

Still waiting on system specs. I’d like this on PC, especially for the mods, but if I can’t run it 360/PS3 it is.

• CaspianRoach says:

Isn’t it a little obvious that if the game can run on 360\ps3 it will run on similar/better PCs?

• Kaira- says:

Well, no. Consoles have very limited types of hardware, thus making optimizing much easier than for PCs, which can have pretty much any combination of hardware and OS.

24. DK says:

Power user things like, using a keyboard and mouse. I guess that means they’re officially saying all PC users are power users and thus better.

25. Davie says:

What, no word on the other news from that interview? Punch a bloke at the pub! Marry a person! Four-piece armor sets…oh. Well, balls to that, but the first two have me very excited.

26. noom says:

“10) How will enchanting work in Skyrim? Will we have to constantly refill our enchantments with soul gems like we did in Oblivion, or will it be more like Morrowind in which the weapons recovered after a certain resting period?

Bruce: The method in Oblivion worked really well, so we kept it. Magic weapons use charges and have to be refilled with soul gems.

This is the only glaring fail I’ve seen so far.

27. Wulf says:

It looks like one of the first mods I’m going to need is a ‘giant fonts’ one, then. Here’s hoping they’ve left the UI modifiable!

That’s actually really good to know for a visually disabled person.

Now we just need someone to poke them about the UI to ensure that it can have its font sizes enlarged.

(I can see me skipping over this game for about a year, and then picking it up a year later in a Steam sale for about a quarter of the price, and getting all the mods I desire. Such as ‘side with the dragons,’ and ‘here you go, bigger fonts!’ >_>;; Yay mods!)

28. mollemannen says:

are there more dragons in the pc version, cus i really want to know about the dragons. anything but dragons isn’t worth it.

29. FunkyBadger3 says:

Are Khajiit going to be dope fiends again?

30. edit says:

I’m just playing through Oblivion now and the most irritating thing is the lack of proper FOV controls. You can change it in the config files, but then your interface is borked. You can change it in the console, but it changes back every time you talk to someone, hop on a horse, etc etc. If I could at least bind “FOV 90″ to the walk button I’d be happy, but some actual non-BS-workaround options for it in the menu would be lovely.

31. iyokus says:

Doesn’t anyone else get the impression from the tone of this Q&A that Skyrim is going to be ‘Oblivion 2.0′ rather than a big step forward for TES games?

I mean, clearly, Bethesda disagree with many long-time fans that Morrowind was a superior game, and they’ve stuck to their guns by keeping (and refining) the changes they made in Oblivion. That’s fine, but there doesn’t seem to be a quantam leap forward in any major mechanics, or the desire from the developers to take any risks in terms of innovation.

32. Ben Sizer says:

I’d be a lot happier with this story if you’d mentioned some of the gameplay points rather than focusing on UI, graphics, and technical issues. It would be nice to at least try to maintain the illusion that PC gamers care about gameplay rather than how just to eke out an extra 7 FPS from their overclocked box.

33. Mystermask says:

Some people dont know what they are talking about.

Actually, a 32bits system cannot use more than 4g, VRAM INCLUDE.

If you have a graphic card of 2gb of VRAM, the game will only use 2 gb of RAM.

A modded skyrim with a urgridtoload to 13 and hd texture will use more than 8 gb.

Do not made a 64 patch is ridiculous.

“Bouh, i dont want to evolve, i dont want to change my old xp”

Time change things guy, time to evolve to a new OS. Skyrim NEED 64 bits !