Another Impressive Half-Life 2 Movie

By Jim Rossignol on July 13th, 2011 at 9:19 am.

What I see when I wake up each morning
Half-Life – Singularity Collapse is an impressive Half-Life 2 fan movie which you can see below. It’s a first-person movie, and features quite a bit of the protagonist looking at his hands, for some reason. Fortunately it’s also heavy on the action, including a Highway 17 style buggy driving sequence, which is particularly awesome. It’s not short on the special effects, either, with a bonkers hi-tech reactor sequence, explosions, HUD weirdness, and lots of explosions and gunplay. Worth a watch, I would say.

I’m consistently amazed by the effort that gets put into this, especially so long after Half-Life 2 came out. The fandom is still strong with this one.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. skinlo says:

Its because HL2 is considered by many to be one of the best FPS experiences ever created.

• Petethegoat says:

Is it?
      It was pretty good, yes. But hardly one of the best fps experiences ever created.

• WaveOfMutilation says:

On the more basic levels of Gameplay it isn’t momentously impressive. But what it did that was magnificent was creating a believable living world around you that was fascinating to explore, even if it was in a purely linear fashion. You felt like you were apart of an actual world and not in bunch of FPS levels with a specific franchise theme.

Considering the amount of fan love that TF2, a multiplayer only game, has spawned, it’s not surprising that their main SP title causes people to become so enthralled that they make these incredible movies.

• sebmojo says:

It kind of is, actually. Replaying it right now – it stands up verry well compared to (say) BFBC2 which I’m also playing.

2. bleeters says:

That was good, once I got around to overlooking the whole ‘why are his hands seemingly at shoulder height’ thing.

• Was Neurotic says:

@bleeters

I guess because there’s no peripheral vision of his shoulders and arms, so you don’t see that he’s bringing them up closer to his face, or that his face is closer to his hands (when he’s on the floor for example).

I know all this because I’ve just sat here holding my hands up and trying not to look at them. :D

3. emotionengine says:

Very impressive for a fan made effort. I was surprised how the very first sequence with the memory flashbacks, although it only lasted a for a few seconds, managed to resonate emotionally in a way the game never did. The brief glimpses of a life before the Combine invasion were strangely moving.

4. konrad_ha says:

HL2 never fails to grip me. This was a good ride.

5. John P says:

The main character’s a bit useless. Everyone who tries to help him (her?) ends up dead.

• Vesperan says:

But that’s appropriate – I’ve played a fair few games where that happens..

• jonfitt says:

That happens a lot in HL2! Only a couple of people make it after meeting GF

• NekoSniper says:

@jonfitt: Pffft. In my playthrough of HL2 (normal, by the way), I saved every single resistance member with the exception of those with scripted deaths and those in the battle with four striders. No exaggeration.

6. Was Neurotic says:

What was the other big-time fan movie, the one with the game’s grenades in the live-action footage?

7. Nighthood says:

Some day they’ll get genuinely good actors for these.

Some day.

8. Thiefsie says:

Well that was more impressive than any of the previous ones… really like the remote control car compositing! Very smart!

9. DainIronfoot says:

Anyone else reminded heavily of the end of Brazil?

10. diebroken says:

Don’t just stand there Gordon, do something!

11. Big Murray says:

Why is Jim woken up by men in gas masks every morning …? What did he do …?

12. A-Scale says:

They always tell the story of the Not-Quite-Gordons, which isn’t as interesting as the story of the Not-At-All-Gordons or of course the Gordon proper. I’d prefer to see some really inept rebels starving to death rather than guys with airsoft guns and impossibly clean hair throwing bombs into reactors.

13. Synesthesia says:

Which was the one with the cool lambda logo made with the hand and the crowbar? The one that teased hl2 as a modern game, with bodily weight, a la Mirrors Edge?

14. tomemozok says:

Thanks to the creators of the fan film.This was awesome!