Wee: Stronghold 1 Free With Stronghold 3

By Alec Meer on July 26th, 2011 at 3:35 pm.

Like this, but in 2001

Buy three Strongholds, get one free? No, no, that’s not right at all. It’s ‘buy Stronghold 3, get Stronghold 1 free.’ Because that’s what happens should you pre-order Stronghold 3 on Steam: you’ll get to re-dabble in the beloved 2001 castle sim. But when does it happen, I hear you ask? (I didn’t hear you ask anything,actually. I’m not a psychic or a madman who hears voices. I did hear a seagull go ‘qwaaaark’ in the distance however, and I’m pretty sure he meant ‘but when does it happen?’ Then he insulted my mum.)

This is when it happens: it happens RIGHT NOW.

This is a trend I can get behind. So many pre-order incentives are just cynical bonuses like special hats or re-skinned weapons or an extra map, but a free game seems a much better deal. Not to mention that it actively encourages revisiting – rather than forgetting – yesteryear’s PC classicettes.

Stronghold 3 doesn’t have a definite release date, annoyingly – just ‘Q3′ this year. It’s £30 as a Steam pre-order, for which you’ll also get Stronghold 1 instantly (as we’ve already established. Were you even paying attention? Tcch) and a bonus, scloosive map (oh) called The Tower Of London for S3 when it releases. It’s a recreation of the titular British building, for you to attack or defend to your vicious little heart’s content.

Obviously, we don’t yet know whether Stronghold 3 will be any cop. But I’m getting a good feeling off it so far.

, , , , .

1. Zarunil says:

Ooooooh, I’m all excited about this release! Stronghold 1 remains one of my all-time favorite games.

I don’t care for pre-order bonus content like OP weapons, armor or exclusive outfits. Rather take a classic game any day.

2. Maxheadroom says:

I like the concept of free games with your pre-order, but Stronghold 2 is less than £4 on Amazon and the retail version of S3 will be £25 or less when it comes out (if it’s not already). So it boils down to how much you’re willing to pay for your ‘free’ game really

3. Coins says:

I had to google Tower of London, I’m such a barbarian. Also, pre-ordered.

4. Zorganist says:

It’s such a shame that I have Stronghold 1 already. And Stronghold 3 is £30 on Amazon as well, and I’ve rather have a physical copy than go through the bother of trying to download many gigabytes of game through my pathetic internet connection, so, erm, no thanksies.

5. MiniMatt says:

It’s still got badgers right? Tell me there’ll be badgers.

I’m a teensy bit excited about this one.

6. Dakia says:

Awesome. SH1 is up there on my list of all time favorites. Definitely going to pre-order SH3 for this bonus.

Oh, and I completely agree that a lot of the pre-order bonus out there are just pointless.

• Kaira- says:

Yes, SH1 is also on my list of favour… wait, you aren’t talking about Silent Hill!

Jokes aside, Stronghold 1 is one of my favourite RTS games.

• Vinraith says:

Silent Hunter 1 is pretty old, you should be playing 3 or 4.

7. Kent says:

Groan, I already have S1 so for me there’s no point in getting S3 on Steam. Good riddance.
    Also this hardly qualifies as “news”.

phoenixdk says:

bollocks, there goes the rest of my “free” time

MarkN says:

I used to play the original against a guy who was very good at failing in hilarious ways.

So one game after I’d toasted a lot of his soldiers using tar pits and flaming arrows he decided to have a go back. So he built lots and lots of them. When I attacked he set light to the tar, and woof! Up they went. As did about half a dozen orchards which he’d placed right next to them. Luckily most of his peasants had been picking apples at the time, so the loss of a large food source was mitigated by the dramatic fall in population he needed to feed.

Then there was the time he made a huge number of wild dog traps. The fight that ensued when I attacked was over before he’d managed to unleash them all, and so about 20 leftover dogs went after the nearest living thing in the vicinity, his own King, chased him to the roof of his tower where they savaged him to death.

And the time when, because of the isometric viewpoint he didn’t realise his city walls had loads of gaps in them. I’d speculatively clicked a troop inside his castle, and he’d started heading off (which IIRC he wouldn’t have if he couldn’t get there). So I assembled a suicide squad, walked right through his walls, and took out about half a dozen key buildings before he could do anything about it.

Happy days…

10. Real Horrorshow says:

Jokes on them; I still have my disc.

11. BobsLawnService says:

Just another recommendarion for people to polay the first if they haven’t already.

12. Jac says:

So is stonghold like dungeon keeper with castles?
    Also any opinions on what stronghold game would be best to play now?

• Kaira- says:

Stronghold is castle building/economy managing/RTS-game, with by far the best castle building options in any game ever. I’ve only played Stronghold the first and its offspring, and I’d say the first one is the best. Stronghold 2 I haven’t played, but I’ve heard it was rather turn to 3D, but lacked on some areas.

13. Daniel Klein says:

Still my favourite Stronghold:

Possibly also because my mum gave this to me for Christmas one year, and it was the only truly inspired video game Christmas present I *ever* received. I have NO idea who tipped her off on this or if this was a random purchase; I’d never even HEARD of the game before, but I ended up LOVING it to pieces.

A friend of mine at school was playing it at the same time. We developed a gesture between the two of us that we employed whenever something very boring was happening (e.g. school): we mimed hitting space bar repeatedly. “Time passes” indeed.

Carra says:

Who will be the first to be interested in this game? Those who bought Stronghold 1. A year ago they gave away Majesty 1 with Majesty. In both cases I already had the original game.

Replayed Stronghold one two years ago. Still well worth playing. Remains a unique game that hasn’t been equaled yet.

15. DarkFenix says:

Well I never bought Stronghold 1 or even played it really. It’s a game that appeals to me in retrospect though, so finally a Steam offer that might do me some good.

16. Hatsworth says: