Plastic Dragon: Skyrim’s £130 Special Edition

By Alec Meer on August 8th, 2011 at 9:20 am.

Pfft the non-magic dragon

It’s Monday morning, and that means you’re probably in a mope. You know what helps with moping? Spending lots of money on items you don’t actually need. Perhaps sir would like a Kindle? A new phone? A suit that makes you look like Dr Who? A rare French cheese so potent that it causes pan-dimensional blindness within a three kilometre radius? Or, if you really want to push the boat out, the £130/$150/€150 The Elder Parchments V: Skyrim Collector’s Edition. £130! What delights it must surely, surely contain…

I’ve gone back over the list of contents repeatedly, convinced that I must have missed something. But nope: your £130 gets you a 200-page coffee table artbook, a Making Of Skyrim DVD (not even Blu-Ray, for heaven’s sakes) and a PVC dragon statue. Oh, and the game, obv.

Oh, sorry – I should have specified that the dragon statue is actually “high quality PVC.” So there you go. Bit confused by all this, I must say. Here’s the full contents breakdown – see if you can spot anything I’ve overlooked.

Alduin Statue – Created in conjunction with the IP Factory, this collector’s only statue stands 12″ tall and is made of high quality PVC. Modeled from actual in-game 3D digital files, it showcases Alduin, the World Eater. He stands perched atop one the game’s many dragon walls that teach the player the lethal language of dragons.

‘The Art of Skyrim’ Official Art Book – Featuring over 200 pages of striking, full-color illustrations, sketches and models, this stunning 9 3/8″ x 12 1/8″ coffee table book showcases the characters, creatures, environments, and weaponry of Skyrim. With a foreword by game director Todd Howard and commentary from Bethesda Game Studios artists, readers will be guided through the game’s iconic visual style.

‘The Making of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ DVD – This documentary DVD contains exclusive, behind-the-scenes footage, including interviews with the Bethesda Game Studios team as they take you from concept to creation and provide insights into the story, gameplay, setting, legacy of the Elder Scrolls franchise, and much more.

One! Hundred! And! Thirty! Pounds! Still, the aforementioned map is also in there too. That’s the only bit I want (other the game).

“We always say that we make the games we want to play. We can also say we create the collector’s editions we’d want to own,” said Pete Hines, VP of PR and marketing for Bethesda. “We all want one of these!”

Do you?

(Larger version of the pic up-top available with a click, by the way).

, , .

1. Orija says:

Heh, The Witcher 2 Collectors Edition was much better and cheaper.

Edit: Links

• Symitri says:

Bioshock 2 still wins that for me. The posters were incredibly well-done and the hidden writing on them was a nice touch. If the game had been better I might keep it out in the open too.

• Premium User Badge Lars Westergren says:

Agreed, Bioshock 2 Collectors is one of the best boxes released since Infocom went bust. The game is great too.

I think going DVD rather than Bluray makes sense too.

• Orija says:

Hmm, I always wanted to try out Bioshock 2 but the fact that Bioshock turned out to be a borefest for me, dissuades me from getting it.

Don’t get me wrong, I like my deep storylines and atmospheric settings as much as the next guy (the fact that it was based on Rand’s Objectivism was reason I got Bioshock in the first place) but somehow the game didn’t work for me.

• Icarus says:

I’m with Lars- Not everyone has a blu-ray player (me included) but DVD drives are pretty much ubiquitous at this point.

• Out Reach says:

World in Conflict had an actual bit of the Berlin wall in its collectors edition. Beat that.

• stahlwerk says:

The Ultima V collectors edition had a cloth map of Britannia. The Loom special edition had a cassette tape with an half-hour-long audio drama with the game’s background story.

Wait.

• gwathdring says:

That is very impressive. But isn’t it also … kind of like selling rugs from the Iraqi palace? Or bits of Egyptian mummies?

• Orija says:

gwathdring, awesome nevertheless.

• gwathdring says:

Yeah … yeah, you’re right. It may be a bit squicky, but it’s still pretty awesome.

• Symitri says:

@ Orija: Bioshock 2 is almost worth the price of admission for the Andrew Ryan theme park you enter near the beginning of the game. It plays out like if Ayn Rand had a sense of humour and was trying to make a quick buck out of the plebs just because she could while simultaneously deriding them with each exhibit.

• StuffedCabbage says:

Lord of the Rings Online had one of Gandalfs pubes.

• Orija says:

There shouldn’t have been more than a dozen Collectors Editions for LOTRO then, I’d say.

• jokomul says:

I’m all about the less-expensive CEs with little stuffs in them. I love my little pewter Prey figurine things.

2. Symitri says:

Collector’s Editions gone mad, I say!

3. Ondrej says:

Do Not Want.

4. magnus says:

Looks nice, but ‘Skyrim’ brand Cheddar FTW!

5. MrCraigL says:

Got to admit, I want it. But only because I’m obsessive over The Elder Documents. £130 is rather steep though, so doubtful I’ll shell out for it.

6. Fox89 says:

I think I’ve figured it out. Most Collector’s Editions come in some kind of metal tin box with a picture on it. That’s gotta be worth at least £50 on its own, right?

I do really like the look of that little statue. And artbooks are always nice. I would quite happily pay 60, 70, hell maybe even £80 for this. But alas, the only logical way forward is to boycott Skyrim entirely in protest.

7. The Sentinel says:

No. Fucking. Way. Bethesda. I’ll buy your game but that amount of money can be spent in a zillion better ways.

8. Rii says:

Stuff looks awesome, pity about the stupid price. And, err, that it’s for a game I’m not interested in.

9. Kdansky says:

150 $ is about 91 GBP, is about 105 EUR

150 € is about 130 GBP.

Seriously? Not only is it overpriced, but this side of the big lake pays a 50% markup?

• Fox89 says:

Not exactly anything new, is it? It’s like every single console price announcement ever at E3, where they think keeping the numbers identical in every currency will make people think it’s fair.

• stahlwerk says:

Also, those prices are MSRP, and most american states deduce the VAT on top of that, while european stores adjust their resale price to include the VAT.

Don’t they? (grasping for straws here…)

• PopeBob says:

50% is a tad high on the real numbers estimation scale, but the point still stands. USAmericans pay roughly 30% less.

• gwathdring says:

I’m so sorry … that’s utter bullshit. And I’m rarely willing to buy games at less than 50% off THAT price. And as if you guys weren’t bad enough off, poor Australia gets utterly decimated by weird prices.

• PiP999 says:

@ stahlwerk:

Aye, in the States we add the “VAT” or as we call here “tax” to the MSRP price. So considering that the game is $150.00 in U.S. and the sales tax in Texas (where I live) is about 8% I’d be looking to pay about $162 if I buy retail. Of course taxes don’t apply if you buy online from another state.

Overall though, yes you guys do get shafted in the prices as spending around $213 (at the current exchange rate) for the same item in the UK is outrageous.

Looks like the lot of you will have to resort to building the Mayflower II and escape the persecution of high prices! (Too soon?)

• identiti_crisis says:

By 2010 PPPs, 150 USD is about 97.5 GBP. Bearing in mind that Value Added Tax is at 20%, that should put the price somewhere around £117. So yeah, we’re still being ripped off to the tune of 10%.
      162 USD tallies to about £105, by PPP.

EDIT: I used the GDP PPP of ~ 0.65, when I probably ought to have used the “actual individual consumption” figure of 0.66. That puts the prices at £99, or £119 (inc. VAT), so about 9% (extra) markup at £130.

• Carra says:

Yeah, $150 looks a lot more reasonable then €150.

10. stahlwerk says:

“The lethal language of dragons” sounds like a post-hair metal band name.

• jti says:

I wonder what is lethal about it… I wonder if someone got paid for writing such a sentence.

• mollemannen says:

spot on good sir.

• Avish says:

Or a good Monty python sketch…

• gwathdring says:

They paid a team of writers, obviously. And one of them accidentally saw two words an—no. No. I can’t do it. Must … resist … obnoxious …. quoting …. argh!!!

• stahlwerk says:

Learn your declensions or suffer 3rd degree burns!

11. GenBanks says:

Yeah, it could definitely use some more stuff in it for that price tag. Didn’t the Oblivion collector’s edition have a coin replica in it? That would have been a cool addition.

I’m sort of glad they haven’t put any ‘digital bonus items’ in it though, because I tend to think of those as things they could have put in the game in the first place rather than as ‘extra’ items.

• Jumwa says:

I’m with you on that. I’m grateful they skipped the digital bonus crap. Looking at what Arkham Asylum is doing just irritates me. Not only are they giving out special Batman skins to play with as a preorder bonus, but they’re only giving one different skin per different stores you could pre order from. So not only is it one of those annoying features that should just be in the game for everyone, but it’s not even something you CAN collect legitimately without buying like six different copies of the game.

And yes, Oblivion came with a Septim (as in the coin, not the emperors) replica.

I’d like to join in on the anger-wagon, but around here we usually get charged $150 just for a foot tall statuette made of PVC like that as is. Plus I don’t think I’ve ever seen an artbook for sale in stores for less than $50. I thought the price seemed pretty reasonable for the statue, art book, map and game from my perspective.

• tyren says:

It’s reasonable for what you’re getting, the problem is I doubt a lot of people care about the statue. Around here, at least, any collector’s edition that comes with a statue rots on the shelves of the local Gamestop, looking more and more battered from being handled and put back over a period of months before it vanishes, maybe finally sold or maybe sent back, who knows?

Even Halo products aren’t immune to this, let alone less mainstream games. That Halo 3 bundle that came with the Chief’s helmet, there were four of those sitting in the store unsold for ages. There’s a copy of DC Universe Online with the Batman statue sitting there right now.

Speaking for myself, I’d rather buy a $75 collector’s edition that comes with a bunch of small goodies than $150 for a giant paperweight I don’t have room on my shelves for.

• Optimaximal says:

re: Batman – there’s been subtle hints that the skins can either be unlocked in the game (in the case of Arkham Asylum, the Play.com pre-order Armoured Bat Suit unlocked when you completed the game anyway) or they’ll be available via GFW:Live.

Everyone seems to be loving the whole ‘pay nothing and unlock eventually or buy up front if you’ve got more money than skill’ model and I’m all for it, if it means people fund my gaming with their impatience and/or credit card.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah, statues and similar display-only stuff lowers the value of the package for me because I have no use for them but I have to deal with them anyway. Wouldn’t mind the artbook and DVD, but I’m certainly not paying 1.5 times the price of the entire game over and above that price just to get them and especially not to get a statue I’d just have to find room for. But then, I’ve preordered on Steam already so it’s just as well the CE’s a bit daft.

• Jumwa says:

Well if that’s the case, Optimaximal, then that’s great. Although with Arkham Asylum I know of no way to unlock the Joker stuff that was a pre-order exclusive for certain customers.

12. jon_hill987 says:

The Kindle is well worth the money, which is more than can be said for the plastic dragon.

• GenBanks says:

I love my kindle

• Darth Mandelson says:

yeah i just bought a 3g kindle today, am looking foward to sky rim but not 130 quids worth, especially seeing as we dont get a fancy elder scrolls tf2 hat here in the uk, thanks game :(.

• Big Daddy Dugger says:

More than half of the people who own kindles don’t even read books.

13. ichbinspikeface says:

the elder scrolls is the only series i’ll shamelessly pay out big $$$$ for re: special editions. so it’s a buy from me.

14. Vague-rant says:

Just out of curiousity, those of you who buy the super special collector’s editions, what do you do with this stuff? I imagine I’d display them for a few months/a year, then put them away, never to be seen again.

• Jockie says:

Theoretically, I’d get the dragon thing and then make it fight my CE Big Daddy, by repeatedly smashing them into each other, while making my own sound effects.

I say theoretically, because I neither own a CE Big Daddy, nor will I fork out an extra £30 for a plastic dragon when I purchase Skyrim.

Presumably they adorn the mantelpieces and coffee tables of people who collect these sort of things though.

• gwathdring says:

Don’t you mean an extra 100? Doesn’t the game cost around 30 pounds?

• RaytraceRat says:

“I imagine I’d display them for a few months/a year, then put them away, never to be seen again.”

Remember that huge warehouse in Indiana Jones or The X-Files?

• Jockie says:

@Gwatherding, Well, if the game is 30, then you can divide the remaining £100 between the various bits and bobs, meaning the dragons roughly ‘worth’ £30 or so. I’d be more inclined to shell out a bit extra for the artbook and behind the scenes dvd (although in this instance they seem overpriced too), than I would a plastic dragon personally.

• gwathdring says:

Gotcha. Thought you meant the whole thing. You had me worried the price gouging had gotten even more out of hand over there. Good to know there’s still some rational conversion in the system.

• Text_Fish says:

My Big Daddy from Bioshock takes pride of place at the bottom of a box on top of the wardrobe. It entertained me for longer than the game though, so there’s a thing.

15. diebroken says:

If only there was an inbetween version w/o the statue/figurine… oh, well.

(P.S. article pic shows the Xbox360 version – bleh)

• Wulf says:

That is in no way, shape, or form something that could realistically be called a figurine in any sensible use of the word. It is a lump of plastic shit.

16. bear912 says:

Wow! I didn’t know Mojang was into this sort of thing!

17. gwathdring says:

But that’s three full price board games! Or two if Descent is one of them.

Point being on the resale market that’s a bunch of board games!

Or video games. Those too.

18. Arglebargle says:

I am sure they’ve done some market research on just how many people will buy the ‘deluxe collectors edition’, regardless of what it contains. And pegged the price as high as they think it can go. But yeah, it does seem the package’s a bit on the underwhelming side of things.

For me, it’s going to take very good reviews to influence any possible purchase before bargain bin status.

• gwathdring says:

But once it hits bargain bin status, it’s pretty much a shoo in. Unless it manages to spectacularly fail in some critical area. :)

19. Ashpolt says:

I’d love to get the artbook, but I couldn’t be less interested in the dragon statue, so for £130 this is definitely a no-buy. If there was a version with just the game and the artbook for, say, £45 (on PC – console boxes would no doubt be more, what with their higher RRP for standard editions and all) then I’d be all over it.

• Wulf says:

I think there’d be more interest in the dragon if it wasn’t just a lump of plastic shit. :| I mean, that essentially makes it a glorified action figure. There are proper figurines out there which they could hav bundled and would have been amazing. Sadly, they did not. This is just a clump of moulded plastic and I am unimpressed.

20. Skeletor68 says:

As previously stated The Witcher 2 collector’s edition is much nicer. If this set also contained a soundtrack CD I might pay 70-80. No way I could shell out that full amount and not feel guilty. Don’t see the value.

Any possibility of extra bits and pieces being announced?

21. RaytraceRat says:

What about Unlimited Dragons?? I only see one here…

• gwathdring says:

Ah, but it’s unlimited in its detail.

• Mana_Garmr says:

Each scale on that dragon is, in fact, a smaller plasitc (sorry, high-quality plastic) dragon. Made of even smaller dragons… and so on.

• TreeFrog says:

Dragons all the way down?

• Pointless Puppies says:

@gwathdring:

I suppose it’ll only be a matter of time before Notch puts up a blog post about it being a scam.

Wait…maybe that’s the REAL reason why he’s being sued. He’s onto their plastic dragon scheme! :O

22. sana says:

The ordinary edition of Oblivion came with a fat manual AND with a map… I guess the standard Skyrim edition will have neither. A DVD between some paper sheets.

• gwathdring says:

I’m not crazy! I was pretty sure I just had the standard edition, but I remembered getting a few goodies nonetheless. The map was really nice.

• FakeAssName says:

I still have it, and the ones that came with both expansion packs, not exactly Ultima 7 quality but still nice.

the standard release didn’t have much else besides the manual, but the CE did come with a figurine of some kind (I didn’t get it) a sound track CD and an art book.

• Wulf says:

Er… I have it too and nowhere near Ultima VII quality, if we’re being honest. Ultima VII had an amazing map, it really did, and you may want to look up pictures to refresh your memory if you don’t have one (like I do!). And they threw in a Fellowship medallion, too. Oh, and a book about the Fellowship that was a good laugh. I still have the full set, here, boxed and as a centrepiece of my aging collection of physical games.

If games still had the quality of Ultima VII in regards to packaging and goodies, then I’d still be interested in buying physical copies, but sadly that died out somewhere around the late nineties or early oaties.

23. emotionengine says:

For this price I would have expected some REALLY cool stuff, like Skyrim themed desktop wallpapers or AIM buddy icons or something awesome like that.

24. Text_Fish says:

In all fairness, “Special” is a very expensive word to print.

25. Drake Sigar says:

I’m thinking of hunting down anyone who’s paid over £60 for a special edition for denigrating the gaming culture.

• andytt66 says:

I paid 70 quid for the witcher 2 special edition. For that, I received (deep breath) :
      An Extremely nice artbook
      The Audio CD
      A making-of DVD
      A spoiler-filled game guide
      A pack of playing cards, with character artwork on the face cards
      A dice bag containing five poker dice
      2 replica coins
      A paper map of the area.
      3 papercraft figures (one of which is gigantic and utterly beyond my abilities to put together)
      various stickers
      2 polystone busts of Geralt, both damaged in interesting ways, which make very servicable bookends
      AND
      A replica witcher’s medallion.

Sort of puts things into perspective, doesn’t it?

• Pointless Puppies says:

@andytt66:

But…but…plastic dragon!

• Nalano says:

Oh, and the game too, I presume. :p

• andytt66 says:

@Nalano :
      Knew I forgot something :P

Oh, there was also a replica of Dandelion’s little pamphlet, and a copy of his book on “How to Win at Cards”

Frankly, about the only thing they left out was a copy of Ms. Merigold’s playboy shoot!

But you know the best bit? I can’t list any kind of DLC, because CD Projekt, being the Saviours Of PC Gaming that they are, decided to release all the preorder DLC, be it the collector’s edition jacket or the various vendor-specific stuff, in patch 1.1 about a week after launch.

I’m far too cynical about the state of PC gaming these days to pledge unthinking loyalty to a developer ( glares at bioware ) but there’s no way I’m going to miss the next title these guys come up with.

26. Stevostin says:

$150/€150
    Even considering € price is VAT included, it’s still a spit in every euro faces. They’d better rework their euro pricing policy for the real game, else I guess our only hope will be to reverse spit them by the usual P2P way. Which I’d hate, because I pay for all of my games – and TES games are amongst the rare I can pay full price at release.

27. Bhazor says:

Is it just me or is the wait for this game dragon on?

28. FakeAssName says:

that map better be printed on the skin of a baby seal …

29. Jambe says:

The book and map interest me, being a fan of The Elder Literature, but not for that price, no sir.

30. Avenger says:

That’s £130 going directly to the lawyers who sued Mojang.

No thanks. I am not going to feed the monsters that try to eat the things I like, even if I loved the said monsters before.

I hope at least some of you agree.

• gwathdring says:

We still don’t know how much of it is semi-automatic response to the way various laws in various countires handles trademark law (and requires defense of your outstanding Trademarks), and how much of it is the legal team seeking some cash and hiding behind that as an excuse.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“That’s £130 going directly to the lawyers who sued Mojang”

Except it’s not, is it.

A small portion of the £130 (after the retailers have had their cut, and they’ve paid for the manufacture of the statue and book, etc) will go into the coffers of the company who hired some lawyers who sent a treatening letter to Mojang (who haven’t actually been sued).

I’m not supporting the actions of Bethesda in this case, but meaningless hyperbole doesn’t really further anyones cause.

31. Coins says:

So, uh, is this the collectors edition, or the special edition? I’m confused.

32. JohnnyMaverik says:

I’m tempted just for that map. On the other hand while I treasure my map of Morrowind I doubt I’d have cared much about a map of Oblivion, so I think I’ll hold back on the 130 quid.

• Shark says:

Looks like everyone on here’s forgetting that a normal not-on-cloth-printed map will come with the standard box, just like Morrowind, Oblivion and all their expansions.

33. nanophage says:

How can a game have a “iconic visual style” before its even been released to the public?
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

34. DuckSauce says:

No thanks, especially at that rip-off 150€,150$ conversion.

35. gwathdring says:

What’s with the “same number, different currencies” conversion method? Do they think we won’t notice they just changed the symbol?

36. Vexing Vision says:

I want the map. :/ Anyone interested in a high qualiy PVC dragon?

Actually, I’m making a call now: Bethesda, please apologize to Mojang for your silly “Scrolls” claim. If that is done in a favourable way that endears you to me, I will buy this overprized collector’s Edition.

Deal?

• Wulf says:

To be honest I’d actually recommend that people just get themselves the normal version of the game and a lovely Tudor Mint dragon, they’d be much better off. If I were rich and had ludicrous amounts of money I’d probably run around replacing those shitty things with proper dragon figurines just as an apology to gamers everywhere. For shame, Bethesda. For shame.

• wodin says:

Got a few Tudor Mint dragons….good stuff…

37. McDan says:

Madness, and I thought Todd Howard was a nice guy, I just want the game and the cloth map.

• gwathdring says:

Cloth map you say. Still not worth the price, but I’m a wee bit more understanding now. A wee bit.

• Gundrea says:

What good is a cloth map? Are you going to wear it? I want a map forged from meteoric iron, smelted in the dragonfires of King Razzercrax, cooled by the merry laughter of a hundred elven maidens.

• GenBanks says:

I want the same map Gundrae’s getting

38. djbriandamage says:

I’m getting this game for sure but held off on preordering on Steam because it doesn’t give a 10% discount and I don’t care about some TF2 hat. Between that and this utterly uninteresting collectors edition I’m holding out for a happy medium. As it stands I see no compelling reason to preorder.

39. mpk says:

It’s an utterly ridiculous price, but they obviously feel they’ll ship enough numbers to justify it. Same with, what was it, SW:TOR? If enough gullible fools shell out for it, they’ll continue to produce them, and more companies will jump on the bandwagon. Another reason to go digital, tbh.

Soon GAME will stock nothing but Super Deluxe Ultimo-Collector’s Edition Special Edition, each costing 5 times the price of the vanilla game. Buy FIFA 2017, and get a replica football boot! (Just the one, mind). Buy Assassin’s Creed: You’re Not Allowed To Play edition, and receive – free – an ex-French special forces man called Alphonse who will sit next to your computer for the next 12 years and break your arm should you dare to try and play it, or, indeed, any other Ubisoft game.

Fuck that. Unless Aliens: Colonial Marines comes with it’s own (working) pulse rifle, I’ll never buy another hard copy game again.

• Nalano says:

Alphonse isn’t even doing it for the money. He’s just doing it as a public service.

Also I, too, want a working pulse rifle.

40. Myros says:

I think they’re using a similar bs logic as EVE’s monicle debacle. ie Just the act of making something expensive makes it desirable/collectable. Seems to me nothing more than a money grab, anyone who does buy this must be either gullible or have more money than sense. Either way – IMO they would feel better buying the normal edition and giving the difference to a kids charity or something.

41. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I want the artbook and map though. Not a fan of big ugly pieces of plastic, will make room look crap

• Wulf says:

They should have acquired the incredible talents of A. J. Slocombe to make their dragon for them, seriously, and not skimped on the materials.

42. Sidorovich says:

For 130 quid I’d want a voicebox synthesizer that could enable me to do real-life ‘dragon shouts’. Anything else is a cheap gimmick.

43. Big Daddy Dugger says:

You can’t pirate the plastic dragon… no sale! But then again I guess there wasn’t a sale in the first place because of the pirating. Did I mention I’m pirating this? It just seems like I should spend money on food (edit: hookers and blow) instead.

44. Vroomparrot says:

I can’t help but feel some people Googling for a 12″ plastic dragon and then coming across this page may be expecting something else entirely….ahem, not me obviously.

I also won’t be buying this – not until it can be made to dive bomb the neighbours cat when it decides to take a poo in my garden.

45. Premium User Badge Skystrider says:

Elder Scrolls? Wasn’t that the game they make over at Mojang? Yep, that must be it.

46. Dionysus says:

“And have a look at that large (and some say, infinite) dragon, over there. I got that when I paid far too much for a video game!”

47. c-Row says:

I guess more than enough people will sell the artbook separately on eBay, so I will be able to happily ignore the PVC statue and dodge the overall price tag.

48. Premium User Badge SealedSun says:

Collector’s editions should contain

* The game
    * The game’s official soundtrack
    * A huge poster

I’m not willing to pay for anything else.

49. Zarunil says:

I wonder what this will cost in poor, old Australia.

A kindey. That’s what.

• vagabond says:

Astonishingly enough EB have it listed (out of stock) on their website for less than $200, which given the usual markup isn’t actually that bad. If anyone in Australia stupid enough to actually want this thing for the price they’re asking is looking to get it, they may not have to bother importing it themselves.

50. Bluepixie says:

£130? That’s for my new graphics card to play the damn thing.

Would like the map though.