Max Points: Scoregasm RPS Exclusive Demo

By Jim Rossignol on August 26th, 2011 at 11:12 am.

Bullets!
Charlie Knight got in touch to let us know he’d created a demo version of his game, a rather splendid-looking arena shooter called Scoregasm, specifically for RPS. He explains: “The demo contains the first 5 sets of levels in the main part of the game, which should take most people about 30 mins to an hour to see all of, and get a taste of how the game plays.” You can get it here: Windows / Mac / Linux. Video of the game in action below.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. skinlo says:

Thats very kind of him! I’ll have to give it a go when I get back from work.

2. Zaraf says:

His games look nice.

Just played Space Phallus though, which definitely deserves new levels.

3. Eclipse says:

I’m betatesting this game and I must say Charlie did an amazing job with it, there’s a lot of work and care, every level has different twists and enemies and the game is very balanced. Cannot wait for the release!

4. TechRogue says:

Much obliged for the Linux link! :D

BRB, donating to RPS.

5. RICHO says:

Charlie is a nice guy, downloading the demo, hope is good.

6. Quizboy says:

You know, the name had me a bit sceptical (and the lady groans are just confusing: I’m not a chap who associates orgasms with the lady half of the species, so it makes the whole thing kind of extra-surreal. Who are these ladies and what are they trying to tell me?), but this is actually really really great.

If I’ve got one minor criticism it’s that having lives seems a bit pointless – on most (if not all) of the levels I played there was no way to reach the exit target after dying, so I’d just go and select restart, which cost me another life. So every couple of goes I’d get game over and be dumped back on the map, where I could select the same level and carry on as if nothing happened. So why have lives at all? It might not seem like much waiting and busywork to keep selecting restart and clicking through the menu to get back to the level, but in a game with ‘score’ in its name, where you’re going to be playing levels over and over for perfects and new exits, even relatively minor fuss like that builds up until it saps the player’s will to bother. It seems like a lot of games just have lives because Games Have Lives.

But anyway. Like I said, the smallest of nits to pick. This is definitely getting bought.

• phreaker says:

I’ve been playing the beta on Mac:

Very good game. Solid and “Just hard enough”. And the strategy on some of the boards can be pretty interesting. It involves more thought than most. You can’t just run 100% or you’ll find out that things don’t work so well ;).

The AOE attack changes the game in ways that are really hard to understand without playing.

And I strongly recommend a real joypad. It does make the game MUCH more enjoyable.

@Quizboy: If you want to really score high in this game, it isn’t about one level, it is about stringing together a strong set of levels. I usually do my runs from board 1. Different strokes for different folks.

@ShadowCat: It isn’t a true bullethell, the AOE stops some of that. There are times it plays like a bullet hell though.

• Eclipse says:

“And I strongly recommend a real joypad.”

I’ve played it for months using both the xbox pad and keyboard + mouse and I can safely say mouse aiming wins.

7. Shadowcat says:

That’s quite the frantic trailer. Not sure it’s my kind of game (it’s not exactly bullet hell, but it seems related), but it looks like a pretty slick game. The demo will be tried.

• Shadowcat says:

Well, that’s very nicely made. First impressions were right — It’s not quite my thing — but I would imagine that the target audience will be all over it!

• Shadowcat says:

Well I played it again, got more adept at using the short-range blast, and am actually feeling tempted by this. The variety on display is really very impressive: so many different 3D backdrops and effects, arena shapes, enemies, patterns… It’s good stuff.

• Shadowcat says:

…and pre-order placed.

8. Chizu says:

Nifty, I remember being interested in this a while ago.
    I shall give this a go.
    Own his other games.

9. chalriesgames says:

Hey,

Hope you’re all enjoying the demos! I’ve put up some alternative DL links in case you’re finding the above links a little slow. They are:

Linux
    Mac
    Windows

Also, i should probably mention that you can pre-order the game from here. You can get the full version from there, which is much more fun than this demo!

Cheers
    Charlie

10. Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Oh my god the menu music. Tripletgasm.

11. johnpeat says:

In before Lewie starts crowing about his leaderboard position…

12. DOLBYdigital says:

Did this guy work on Mutant Storm? Just wondering, it seems very influenced by those games which is good since they were fun.

Thanks for the demo… It might hold me over while the Irene hurricane hits, hopefully my laptop can play it since the power will likely be out :)

13. Veracity says:

Gosh. Also woah. Obviously building on Bullet Candy Perfect’s foundation, but this looks to be leagues ahead of that.

Please give this a go even if you think you don’t like arena shooters. It has stages. Some of them are different.

• chalriesgames says:

Bullet Candy Perfect was originally a mini-game in this one, but i cut it out and released it early on account of it not being quite up to Scoregasm’s standard. It’s still fun though!

Cheers
      Charlie

14. Harbour Master says:

Surprised this hasn’t got more comments. I’ve been in the beta too (just the last couple of months) and it’s a furiously addictive, like masturbation but better. I just said to see if Charlie wanted to pick that up as a “satisfied customer quote” for his site.

It’s clearly based on bullet hell principles yet the close range attack (that bubble of light that you see exploding from the ship in the video) upsets it in great ways. I’d associate Scoregasm’s difficulty with something like VVVVVV where the only way to cut through the madness is to use a method.

Then again there are challenges – and expert mode – if you really enjoy looking at the screen and going gibber-gibber.

15. mingster says:

I really like it. I’m a big fan of psychadelic shooters and this hits the spot.
    It’s got a touch of the ‘Jeff Minter’ trippiness which is a good thing.
    Very impressed will definately buy the full thing.

16. amorpheous says:

Looks like a mishmash of Geometry Wars and Shatter. I am intrigued.

17. arcsine says:

I think I got a bad one; it’s apparently been set to run somewhere up around “inhumanly fast and than some.” (Much faster than the videos. I can’t even see the first wave spawn before I run out of lives.) Is this a known bug?

The game seems super entertaining, it’s just impossible to play atm…

Comment on this story