Practiced Bravado: Max Payne 3, Trailer 1

By Alec Meer on September 14th, 2011 at 5:00 pm.

Max Payne 3: Club Tropicana

How long we have waited for another date with a boy named Max. Hardly fair to call him a boy any more, of course – he’s thick of waist, hirsute of chin and, after a time, shaved of head. The New York City cop has moved to Brazil, times are hard and his body is soft. Of course, he still has his best friends by his side – his best friends being an assortment of military-grade weaponry.

This is Max Payne 3, and this is its first-ever trailer – composed entirely of in-engine footage, apparently.

Different, eh? The same in a way, but… different, definitely. Dark, yet also lighter than before. More like other action games in a way, but countering that with a highly unusual-looking and, hopefully, acting hero. I really don’t know what to make of it, yet, but while I can’t entirely find the iconic Payniness in there I am all for moving the setting and style on instead of repeating the past. Establishing that the game is the character rather than the film noire trappings – and that the character can change.

Man he looks fat, though.

It’s due March 2012. Here’s the official description.

Still haunted by the memories of his traumatic past, Max begins a new life working private security protecting a wealthy industrialist and his family in São Paulo, Brazil. When gangs target the family under his protection, Max is forced to fight to save his clients and clear his name, in a bid to, once and for all, rid himself of the demons that have tortured him for far too long.

Welcome back, old boy. But those demons? Yeah, they’re not going anywhere, are they? Not if you want another sequel and some DLC, anyway. Demons are your thing, Max.

, , .

1. Teronfel says:

This is not a max payne game

• Unaco says:

Is it an M&S Max Payne game?

• ShineDog says:

A depressed man shoots lots of dudes in third person. Looks like a max payne game to me.

• RaytraceRat says:

I think its a game about Max & Payne. Max runs around shooting people, Payne sits in the corner and weeps.

• Kaira- says:

Payne tells bad jokes and tells how he can’t use that thing in that way, whereas Max will tell you to stop teasing Payne.

• Bilbo says:

because he’s had a haircut?

haircuts change a bit as tech evolves, anyway. Kleiner’s hair in HL2 is different – is HL2 not a half-life game?

they’ve made an effort to move the plot along – this is the third game, don’t forget, doing the whole “he wears a trenchcoat and lives in new york” thing again would’ve been incredibly tired and pedestrian. If you want the same thing over again, go scratch out the 2 on your Max Payne 2 box and write a 3 over it

• neoghoul says:

@Teronfel I’m trying not to be biased here, so I think , without the developers having published any further material, we should not draw a definate conclusion any time soon. Maybe it is going to be great; maybe it is going to suck big time.
      I have the hope Rockstar-Games knows what they’re doing and what weight the name “May Pain” carries, not resting solely on the fact that it will sell regardless of what’s made of it.

Damn…have to re-play MP2…. why isn’t it already up on gog.com ? *writes recommending email*

• Teronfel says:

I’m not saying it won’t be a good game,it might be great but it has nothing to do with max payne other than the name.

• neoghoul says:

I hear you there still hoping it gonna feel “right”. Truthfully …judging from the released footage and screenshots , doubts are something that comes to mind all too easy.

• Text_Fish says:

My gut reaction when screenshots first started appearing was that it wasn’t a Max Payne game as well, but if you think about it the whole series has always been very story driven so it sort of makes sense to move the story forward by changing his life situation. So he shaves his head half way through? Big deal, he’s still got the same dry voice and gun-toting diving badassery going on. They haven’t redesigned the character, they’ve just advanced his story.

From a nostalgic point of view I suppose I’m a bit worried about the apparent lack of comic-strip style cutscenes, but ultimately the gameplay was the big success of the first two games and none of us are in a position to pass judgement on that aspect of the third installment yet.

• HeavyStorm says:

I’m not into drawing early conclusions… Bu then again, I’m:

- Max speaks with that voice, but just not like that. Max was almost a poet — a bad one, of course: “Outside, the city was a cruel monster. I’d been slowly working my way from small-time to the big fish, trying to get to the source of the drug (…)” … or… “It was colder than the Devil’s heart, raining ice pitchforks as if the Heavens were ready to fall. … or even … “My mind had never been so clar, as if somewhere high above the storm clouds were already gone, cold stars blazing from the black skies.

- Max was dark but not exactly depressed. Or maybe both depressed and dark.

- Shaven head isn’t a problem, although they will need to explain why. If it’s just to look more like Bruce Willis, wrong move.

- Where are the comics? I daresay they “streamlined it” and won’t have comics anymore. Hope not.

But, gameplay seems the same. Too bad Max wasn’t really about the gameplay itself (I could finish the game without using a single painkiller) but a mix of good elements: nice scenarios, good voice acting (albeit cliche).

• quadratica says:

No one really wants the same thing; at least no one I know. That’s the problem: This looks the same as everything else. The other two games were different.

• outoffeelinsobad says:

The news was too good to be true: Max Payne 3? Only the truly wretched would spit on such promise. I watched the new trailer with a sick grin on my face — like a dying hyena, I always get the last laugh.

(/noirvoice)

2. ShineDog says:

Is that the same Max voice actor?

• djbriandamage says:

Sounds like him – inexplicably the only New Yorker without a New Yorker accent.

• Mechorpheus says:

That’s James Mccaffrey fact-fans.

So happy that he’s actually doing the voice. When the originally announced this game, saying he wasn’t doing it, I lost all interest in the project. Not a Max Payne game without his input imho.

HermitUK says:

Yeah, Max’s original voice actor and the few bars of the original music were enough to intrigue me.

Plus, they didn’t reboot this as an FPS.

• pilouuuu says:

Wow great! I thought Marky Mark was going to do his voice!

• SyckniS says:

I agree also hearing the same voice and the old school music got my interest enough to give it a chance… Just hope bullet time is similar to MP2 that was just plain fun.

Lambchops says:

Haha, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one suckered in by hearing the theme music again!

i guess it’s associated itself with happy gaming memories. The Max Payne games always slip my mind in discussion of my favourites then when someone else mentions them I remember just how much fun I had with them. Hopefully this will deliver more. If the humour and cinematic shoot outs are there then it’ll be on to a winner with me.

• LionsPhil says:

I dunno, I was disappointed to hear the classic theme with that setting. It was like a fish washed up on the beach, flopping about out of place, gasping. That violin motif worked great with brooding, dark city streets, but doesn’t fit all this sunshine.

• Adam says:

Awesome, Awesome< Awesome, just blew load.

3. ArtyFishal says:

Very happy about the cello, narration, and voice actor. I hope they have the graphic novel animatics however.

• Electricleash says:

I agree the graphic novel element was a Max Payne essential, with the gameplay playing as though you were reading ‘between the panels’.
      I think the noir winter setting, though fantastic, did not define Max Payne.
      Broken down it is defined thusly:

1. Max Payne and his demons.
      2. Narration Storytelling (including the voice).
      3. The Graphic Novel Style.
      4. The Guns and action.
      5. Musical Leitmotif.

These 5 things have got to be there in their base form, but they must be evolved to avoid stagnation.

heretic says:

The recycled the MP2 music, I’m pretty sure MP1 and MP2 had different musical scores.

I’m all for noir, but this game sounds like it had a tough development, so I the engine looks a bit dated.

Also, they’re ripping off Man on Fire story! (Which I approve of, mof so good!)

4. deadly.by.design says:

They had a good start with the opening music, but after the video… the cello at the end seemed tacked on in a “No, this really IS a Max Payne game. We swear!” way.

It will be difficult to make it “feel” like a real Max Payne game with what’s going on, especially in that setting, but I’ll be keeping an eye on it.

• Felixader says:

I think it has more to do with the “Slow/calm slow/calm BAM BAM BAM Slow/calm slow/calm slow/calm” music rythm that dominates the trailers of late.

Nero says:

I thought it was gonna be a fps.

6. Orija says:

This movie plot is so terribly cliche that… I don’t even know what to say about it. But, then again, Max Payne is a game.

• Masked Dave says:

To be fair, we don’t know what the plot is, just the setup.

• apa says:

Max Payne’s plot a cliche? I think it’s intentional :)

• passingstranger says:

Bear in mind that the Max Payne franchise has always had a degree of self-awareness. Its treatment of story tropes is usually done in a slightly post-modern way.

7. Theory says:

That cello + Sunlight + Sau Paulo = cringe.

8. abigbat says:

*blah blah this looks different, fuck rockstar etc*

Actually looks very interesting. I’m glad they’re taking the series in a new direction, and it definitely hits the same tone set by the first two games. Very much looking forward to seeing more.

• DK says:

It hits absolutely none of the tone of the previous games. Max Payne IS noir – and the only thing Noir about this trailer (and, from what we know, the game) is the music. Music ripped wholesale out of Max Payne 2 with the express purpose of saying “look, this is max payne”.

A regenerating health, cover shooter in sunny Brazil does not a Max Payne 3 make.

• abigbat says:

What we’ve seen so far isn’t noir, that I’ll give you, but the tone and motivation of the character appears fairly unchanged. I also don’t believe for a second that the plot isn’t going to pull Max back to New York.

Most importantly this move seems like an unusually logical progression – after the stuff he’s been through it makes sense that he’d want to get out. So long as the character remains intact and the play mechanics remain smooth and intuitive I really don’t care where the action takes place.

• stampy says:

A despairing hero trudging through sleet in a dark, sprawling, empty city is a nice easy noire setup, but it isn’t the only way to do things — and really, it isn’t that dark. Put a man in a shitty, ugly environment, and maybe hes just having a shitty day. The sun will rise, perhaps spring will come, everything will be better.

If you can set the same level of despair bathed in sunlight, and among happy people, its deeper. Anyone can be gloomy when they are cold, wet, and alone; it takes a little more to be depressed in paradise.

It is more ambitious to set a dark game someplace bright, but if they succeed, it can run a lot deeper than just another “hey, this guy is sad, cause its winter and its dark out.”

9. Demiath says:

Maxy Payne 3? This seems more like Kane & Lynch 3: We’re All Outta Kane…

10. Kaira- says:

I don’t know. It looks noir-ish, but there’s something nagging in the back, can’t really place my finger on it.

Plus, bald Max ain’t no Max to me, be it a man or a rabbit.

• 12kill4 says:

Is it because it seems seconds away from becoming the film Man on Fire?

mcnostril says:

The idea of a fat man doing slow motion acrobatics appeals to me.

• kikito says:

They have hired a Japanese computer genius to make Sam’s belly bounce realistically in slow-motion.

He’s just THE EXPERT in bouncing body parts.

• CaptainObvious says:

“Good day Mister Wong, you’ll be animating the belly of Max payne!”
      “Oh! You mean the breast!”
      “No Mister Wong, we are not doing a japanese game.”

• DXN says:

(Psst, Wong isn’t a Japanese name…)

• Hoaxfish says:

If that’s not wight, it’ll have to be wong

• BAshment says:

oh Dear.

12. songloveseven says:

The cello doesn’t quite have the right impact when the backdrop is a sunny city.

But I’ll also admit, Max’s voice made me go weak at the knees… or it would have if I stood up when browsing the internet.

13. djbriandamage says:

Please no cover system.

• ShineDog says:

Cover systems are fine, it’s cover systems combined with overly generous regenerating health and passive AI that makes no move to push forward or flank and is happy to sit back and exchange potshots with the guy who autoheals that cause a problem.

• Dominic White says:

People who don’t want a cover system in a Max Payne game have clearly never watched an action movie in their lives. The entire point of the series is to try and replicate Hollywood/Hong Kong style gunfights, and that involves people putting solid objects between them and bullets, hugging walls/corners and diving out during opportune moments.

• Eclipse says:

…i’m trying a way that doesn’t sound harsh but… I don’t know how to say it but dude…
      ok, well. There will be a cover system.

• Eclipse says:

@Dominic People who want a cover system in a Max Payne has clearly never played the first two games.
      Here’s why Max Payne was good and Kane & Lynch was not: K&L games had a cover system

• abigbat says:

yes, that’s clearly the only reason why the Kane and Lynch games weren’t great.

• Dominic White says:

The first two games were FULL of logical cover to crouch behind. Only problem was that because there was no cover system, 90% of the time, Max would crouch in such a way that left his head and shoulders open to being shot, while not being able to shoot over anything in return. It was stupid and unrealistic, and it basically made the entire game about slow-mo diving sideways while clicking on heads.

• Magnetude says:

What Dominic said, all of it. It’s a choice between Max pressing his back against a wall or Max pressing his face against a wall. You’re going to spend at least some of this game hiding behind things waiting for your health to recharge just like you did in the first 2 (painkillers weren’t instant), I’d rather that Max doesn’t look like a bumbling idiot while you’re doing that. Cover system makes total sense.

HOWEVER if the enemies spend the whole time hiding behind things I will be annoyed. The core of Max Payne gameplay, for me, is getting into the perfect position so your dive will allow you to pull off 4 headshots before you hit the floor. That’s difficult when people hide behind things like little babby men.

• Yzzerdd says:

The problem is with a cover system is that it’s often paired with it’s best friend regenerating health which usually makes any strategy that isn’t popping up killing dudes-duck down heal-repeat suicide, the trailer does have a healthy amount of Max walking forward shooting guys so at least it has that going for it.

• Ricc says:

“the entire game about slow-mo diving sideways while clicking on heads”

So, best game ever. :) This is what I want to do in a MP game all day.

• Magnetude says:

Red Dead Redemption (where’s that PC port you bastards) had bullet time and a cover system and regenerating health, but still managed to avoid whack-a-mole territory save for times when it made sense. I’m hoping they bring that same good level design and pacing to this effort too.

Thinking about RDR makes me think that this will work, basically. If you have the means to play it, I would highly recommend it.

• Jimbo says:

They do need a cover system, but they also need to arrange the game mechanics so that you are dissuaded from playing it like every other Stop ‘n Pop TPS. Max Payne should not be taking everybody out from behind cover.

Sitting in cover should gradually deplete your time slowing down potion for a start… then your health… then reboot your system.

Lambchops says:

I concur with those that say cover system is find but needs to be twigged so that diving out of it and taking out 4 guys in one slow motion dive of awesomeness is strongly encouraged. I also really hope they keep the painkiller health system where you recover slowly when using them (hence not discouraging you from being stupid and keeping you on your toes) but need to press onwards to find more (hence stopping you from doing the health regen hiding and popping out nonsense). I’ve said in discussions about health systems before that this was a really nice halfway house between regenerating health and pickups and it’s a shame that more developers didn’t follow its lead and I stand by that now.

• Fumarole says:

Anyone who played Max Payne by hiding behind furniture instead of filling the air with lead while flinging their body around liked a crazed Chinese acrobat played it wrong.

• djbriandamage says:

Your name is Max Payne. You can slow down time and eat lots of drugs to heal the Max Payne you endure.

The cover in the original games was perfect because it was optional and organic and you didn’t snap to it with the press of a button. If it’s solid you hide behind it, but none of this room with a maze of waist-high barriers bullshit.

If this sequel does indeed have a snap-to cover system I’ll be referring to this title as Max Priss.

14. Yzzerdd says:

I like that once Max shaves his head nothing that follows even resembles Max Payne and is barely distinguishable from any shooter released since 2007. :(

• Magnetude says:

That trailer was wall-to-wall cinematics. Those shooters you’re thinking of, those were movies. That’s why they seemed so short.

• Unaco says:

What? You mean him taking on a private army almost single handedly, with an assortment of guns and other weapons in a cinematic, stylish, 3rd person perspective doesn’t resemble Max Payne?

What does in your opinion?

• Yzzerdd says:

Bullet time and diving are what define it more now since everything else about it describes every shooter on the market, other than a brief glimpse of Max diving there is nothing in the trailer that sets it apart from Uncharted. Max Payne was a pretty groundbreaking game for it’s time and it’s tone was pretty unique and still is for a video game, I don’t see that in 3 at all but I’d love to be proved wrong though.

• Magnetude says:

Edit: Ah, never mind.

• Unaco says:

Yeah… Totally. They’ve left out everything that made Max Payne, and we can all tell that from ~25 seconds of heavily edited, cinematics footage… even though it did have some diving, and some bulleto-vision.

Or, could be as Magnetdude says, and it’s because it’s all cinematic.

• Yzzerdd says:

It’s not like the game was revealed today, they have been talking about the tone and mechanics since 2009, the trailer is pretty much everything they have said so far about it. I don’t expect the game to pull a Halo 2 and be like “actually this what the game really is”

• Hoaxfish says:

Why did he even shave his head?

’cause he just seems to have been happy shooting people with a full head of hair in the first two, and it’s not like he’s going undercover since he’s shooting guns all over the place.

It just stands out as a kinda F-U to the look of the previous games. A sort of “this isn’t your mummy’s Max Payne” nonsense.

• BAshment says:

am I mixing up max payne with a point and click detective game?

• arccos says:

Why did he shave his head?

Lice.

Max always has the shittiest of shitty days.

15. purdz says:

Whatever… Im excited for this! ive got a feeling we are just seeing the beginning of this game. its gonna descend into tropical storm mode and the noir feel will return!

16. Hardtarget says:

so happy they kept the max payne music

17. Sp4rkR4t says:

Yeah it’s different but the tone feels right, guess we will have to wait and see.

18. Fazer says:

It’s Jimmy Raynor! Who transforms into Bruce Willis! It’s Jimmy Willis!

19. Eclipse says:

It’s like Max Payne had sex with Lynch from Kane & Lynch and that guy is their son :|

20. raggamofyn says:

Oh god, it looks like a new Kane and Lynch game.

I wonder where all that money’s going. It looks pretty, but, from this trailer at least, everything besides the graphics seems two-dimensional, if you know what I mean.

21. AMonkey says:

Looks pretty awesome but is it Max Payne?

22. RyuRanX says:

This is not Max Payne +1

23. fallingmagpie says:

I live in Sao Paulo, and I can tell you that trailer was an accurate depiction of everyday life.

• deadpan says:

Must be a tough commute with all the fat guys talking to themselves while their personal cello players trail behind them.

24. sakmidrai says:

The main theme was a low blow. The actor is good as always. I didnt like anything else.
    For 10 euros maybe I’ll buy it. I hope it’ll be a good shooter but thats all.

25. coldvvvave says:

Oh my god, another classic RTS is being rebooted as an FPS!

26. ZIGS says:

Max & Payne: Dead Franchise

27. Yzzerdd says:

Max Payne 4:The rise of Max Payne’s hair
    Powered by SpeedHair tech

28. Dervish says:

Pretty sick of people “directing” in-engine cutscenes without an ounce of style. The preview pic is the only shot that’s passable; everything else is so damn boring and flat.

29. Olivaw says:

Looking at the last few games Rockstar has put out, I’m willing to bet they can craft a compelling neo-noir without resorting to base trappings like trenchcoats and rain and ludicrous narration.

But I kinda liked the ludicrous narration, so I hope there will be a little of that.

Not concerned about the gameplay at all, it’s shooting dudes in slow motion, it is quite literally impossible for an outfit like Rockstar to fuck that up.

• Abundant_Suede says:

Yeah, it’s really odd to me that the majority of complaints seem to be stemming from doubts Rockstar will put together a suitable experience from a story/tone/character perspective. That’s not exactly their weak point. The last two RS games I played (RDR,GT4) had good stories with well rendered, human characters and pitch perfect ambiance. Their ability to deliver a sophisticated and mature cinematic story experience doesn’t seem to be in question.

If anything, I would be concerned about their ability to make a satisfying pure shooter. Their games have always hung their hat on the open world and atmosphere, and I’ve never really felt great about their games solely on the action gameplay.

30. jonfitt says:

As long as I can slo-mo dive sideways while lining up impossibly perfect shots, it’ll be good.

31. Doesntmeananything says:

I feel that without Sam Lake the game loses a lot of things which made previous titles unique and interesting. Even this short trailer shows it quite prominently. Sure, they may have fun shooting mechanics in there, but MP1-2 were more than just that and that’s why they were great.

32. Tyrone Slothrop. says:

Cue: Film noir-inspired projects can only take place in New York and only at night.

• Masked Dave says:

Casablanca

• Khemm says:

I think that’s the biggest problem with this game – where the hell is that noir vibe we knew and loved so much?
      Instead, we have sun and yo-baby-yo gangsters. Wtf…

• Magnetude says:

Yeah what the fuck is this, it’s like I’m watching Chinatown or Brick or Casablanca or something.

• Hoaxfish says:

pretty sure non-NY USA cities feature quite a bit in Film Noir. Chicago seems to be the one I always think of, and Blade Runner (sci-finoir really) is Los Angeles.

33. magnus says:

So he’s now so desperate for company he snogs his own wrist?

34. DoctorBrain says:

Let’s get this out of the way right now:

The balding-with-beard look didn’t do well for Sam Fisher, and it sure as hell isn’t doing well for Max Payne.

• Masked Dave says:

He’s meant to look like a bag of shit though. At least this time it doesn’t look like he’s holding it in.

• Dervish says:

What annoys me is that he looks like a carefully-constructed-for-maximum-gruffness bag of shit. The Kane and Lynch games may be bad, but I thought the designers did a good job making those guys look naturally ugly in a way that gives them some character.

• Masked Dave says:

He’s the first action hero I’ve seen with a beer belly, which is pretty awesome I think.

• DoctorBrain says:

Tend to agree with Dervish on this one. Kane & Lynch were two incredibly well-designed characters. It still amazes me how completely they were able to screw those games up.

I also think it’s entirely possible to look like a down-and-out alcoholic and/or pill-addicted ex-cop without looking like a homeless man.

35. Lagwolf says:

Its Burn Payne… the devs have been watching too much Burn Notice. Payne in Sao Paulo with sun? Ugh, isn’t New York interesting enough for them? Are they saying NYC is no longer gritty enough Payne?

36. Walsh says:

This looks great and you can do noir anywhere in the world, it’s not exclusive to NYC.

37. WebFusion says:

Console ported shovelware.

Next.

• Walsh says:

What’s next?

• molten_tofu says:

A deep pit filled with XBOX discs of COD:BLOPS sharpened to pointy points while EA and Activision take turns kicking the entire PC community off the edge shouting “THIS IS SPARTAAAAAAAAAAA”.

Obviously.

38. Khemm says:

My thoughts after watching this video:
    “What a great trailer to Grand Theft Auto: Sao Paulo.”

Why does it say Max Payne in the title again?…

39. Christian O. says:

Why bother with the old film noir theme music, when the game isn’t film noir?

• Masked Dave says:

Film Noir does not mean “black and white”.

Considering we know very little about the actual content of the game other than it will feature massive gun fights (which have never been a film noir trope I’m aware of but are certainly part of Max Payne) his voice over is the only thing we’ve got to go on, and that screams Noir.

• molten_tofu says:

Yes, plenty of classic noire takes place on the west coast of the US – a notoriously sunny locale.

Vandelay says:

Me thinks many people on here don’t really know what noir is. Do they really not see the preview image of that video as having a noir style?

• Christian O. says:

The trailer is really not being billed as a film noir. I understand that film noirs can happen during the day in hot places, Welles’ Touch of Evil is an example of this, but the focus on the action and the fact that the protagonist is in a place, he’s completely unfamiliar with is unlike any film noir I have ever seen. It strikes me as more of a modern action thriller than a film noir.

All this aside, the music still seems out of place.

40. Koozer says:

I can’t believe people are being so negative and not seeing the positive:

Hirsute is a great word!

41. Drake Sigar says:

At least now if there’s another movie they can get Bruce Willis to play Payne.

42. Spindrift says:

Wait, the third installation of a long-dormant PC game franchise, and our hero is no longer a cop (or a counter-terrorist or something) but an agent of a private security firm? And there’s a lot of amber lighting everywhere? This all sounds quite familiar…

43. Kieron Gillen says:

This is basically what it was like when I first shaved my head.

KG

• Masked Dave says:

Your bosses daughter was kidnapped and you had to go on an action filled killing spree to rescue her?

Wow, bet that made you wish you’d never gone for the razor, eh?

• Unaco says:

What? A great number of people thought you weren’t the real Kieron Gillen? That you had become ‘generic’ and just like ‘every other games journalist’? Did they claim that you were like another, bald, shite journalist who also had a shaved head? You both have shaved heads, you must be the same, right? Did they feel that they could judge everything about you from reading 1 and a half sentences you’d written and that blurry, low-res byline photo you had? Did they think that, by keeping the name ‘Kieron Gillen’ despite not being the ‘same’ Kieron Gillen they had read previously that you were somehow insulting, offending and trying to molest them?

You should probably have worn a hat.

U

• Kieron Gillen says:

Unaco: Yes, exactly like that.

I should have worn a hat. :(

KG

• Greg Wild says:

Everyone should wear a hat.

• Hoaxfish says:

Or by proxy, play TF2

Lambchops says:

Nice work Unaco, I almost spat out my beer while trying to avoid giggling!

44. gulag says:

Kane & Lynch Payne 3

• Kadayi says:

Pretty much tbh. The game engine definitely had that crisp K&L Dog days vibe to it for sure. Way too early to call it with respect to this one. Albeit I wasn’t blown away by GTA IV, I though R* redeemed themselves with ToLC so I’m interested to see where they take this tbh.

45. TT says:

It looks like the last Fast&Furios movie..Brazil + fat bald guy …. shitty flick

46. Stevostin says:

Where is Sam ?

Rhygadon says:

What puzzles me is the gradual loss of the character’s distinctive appearance. Max 1 had a very distinctive hairstyle and face which fit plausibly with his miserable life (i.e. he apparently used hair gel as a substitute for bathing, and always looked like he’d just bitten into a sour plum). Max 2 looked like some generic dude. Max 3 looks like that generic dude trying to disguise himself as some other generic dude.
    If you saw Max 1′s face on a T-shirt, you’d immediately recognize him (if you’ve played the game). Not so for Maxes 2 and 3. This seems like an odd sort of unforced error.

• fuggles says:

To be fair, Max1 was one of the development team acting as a place holder which stuck.

• kikito says:

Well, Super Mario was a moustached plumber because Miyamoto didn’t have enough pixels to do anything else.

Max1 was better.

48. molten_tofu says:

No pump action, no sale. Also, note the complete lack of sunny weather in the clip, except for the opening scene where it’s hazy w/billowing smokestacks.

49. Nova says:

Hmm. I liked about Max Payne that it was noir without Max smoking and/or hanging on the bottle not to mention the couch potato look.

50. Chizu says:

+ The musics back
    + The voice is back

- Total lack of similies in that trailer.
    - Trailer seems more like Man on Fire: The videogame from its plot set up.