Flatout 3: “20,000 Fully Destructible Objects”

By Jim Rossignol on December 7th, 2011 at 11:36 am.

Some of that 20,000, yesterday.
That’s more fully destructible objects than any man can destroy, surely! But that’s what Strategy First are claiming for the third Flatout racing game, which is out on the 13th. More importantly, perhaps, you can do some of that thousands of destruction with monster truck races, which sounds like a killer selling point for a racing game, if ever I have seen one. No word on a demo, but it would be a shame if it didn’t have one. Trailer with hilarious music below!

__________________

« | »

, .

1. skyturnedred says:

Didn’t really feel like a Flatout game, perhaps because Bugbear isn’t doing it. I did really enjoy the previous games, even though they had their flaws, they were still good fun.

• Matt says:

Yeah I noticed it wasn’t by Bugbear this time. Whats the deal with that, did they lose the license for it or something?

• Delusibeta says:

Last time I checked, they were busy doing Ridge Racer UNBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUNDED (/incorrect_use_of_meme)

• Gonefornow says:

@Delusibeta
      Please rectify your questionable use of the Meme we all love and care about or I’ll have to unleash a Giant Enemy Crab to dispose of you.

• Screamer says:

Oh I thought BugBear got an arrow in the knee =P

Oi! Wait hangon…. I could have sworn that I have already played a ’3′ which was done by BugBear? Is this like 3.5?

• Was Neurotic says:

Flatout is actually Bugbear’s own IP, so they couldn’t really ‘lose’ it. Also, speaking as a fan of the series from the first preview of the first game back in PCG, I’d just like to say HOORAY!

• Fede says:

@Screamer: yeah, Bugbear has made 3 of them: FlaOut, FlatOut 2 and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage

• Fatbubba says:

But Ultimate Carnage was just an upgraded version of 2 with GFWL tacked on right?

• Was Neurotic says:

Yes, FO2: UC had vastly improved graphics, a couple of new cars, new race modes and new tracks. The destruction and physics were improved too – the cars had many more break points for one thing. The GFWL (blech) element added some organised multiplayer too.

• Bootes says:

Flatout’s original publisher (Empire Interactive) went out of business. As has been said, Bugbear (the original developer) is working on the new Ridge Racer. Ridge Racer Unbounded will basically be the new Flatout as far as I’m concerned.

This fake Flatout could be good too, but I have more faith in the new Ridge Racer.

2. AmateurScience says:

I’m sure there’s a game behind all that fuzz.

This does look like it could be a lot of fun though!

3. Kollega says:

I see this is the first time RPS speaks of Flatout 3, and the first time i hear of it. Why is that – because it wasn’t made by Bugbear?

• iHavePants says:

Because the real Flatout 3 is being made by Bugbear under the Ridge Racer brand.

This looks awful.

• Kollega says:

I agree, the footage looks pretty pants. I figured it might be the reason.

• Bootes says:

I don’t think there was anything announced about Flatout 3 until last night. I noticed the trailers went up on Steam last night, but the website and actual game page weren’t up yet. The publisher’s site also had nothing about it last night.

• kuddles says:

Made by a different developer, released by Strategy First, and dropped in the middle of December just barely after being announced. Great sign that this game will be garbage.

4. AyeGill says:

I’ve never been much of a racing person, but i loved the previous two flatout games. This looks good as well

5. yhancik says:

But how many partially destructible objects will there be?

Also, I’m not sure that showing a car bouncing of walls is a good way to showcase a game about (self-)destruction.

6. LimEJET says:

I didn’t like the last two games. The direction they took with Flatout 2 was completely wrong in my opinion. Somehow the first game still holds up, but the physics used in the second and third game were completely off key.

• Dreamhacker says:

Exactly my feelings. The first game had incredibly fun physics and a great feeling of insane handling. The second game was just… bleh, with a mix of meh. No feeling left in it, just shiny graphics and a shit tonne of cars and levels.

7. MaXimillion says:

That is one awful trailer.

Regardless, hoping it will be good even if not made by Bugbear, really liked the previous games.

8. The Infamous Woodchuck says:

Quality trailer anyone?

The game caught my attention on 1:20. i hope we can make use of that turret.

9. Craymen Edge says:

Strategy First, Arcade Racing Second?

10. PoulWrist says:

Hope it’ll be awesome :O Flatout 1 & 2 were great games. Awesome for multiplayer, just too bad it’s max 8. 16 or 24 would’ve rocked.

11. Timberfox says:

video looks good, but since when did they add racing to fallout 3

12. zind says:

Monster trucks!

Anyone else remember those Monster Truck Madness games from the 90s? I used to play those ALL THE TIME. We need another monster truck game, except this time with destroyable objects.

So I have said it, and so it shall be. Game devs, get on it!

• jon_hill987 says:

Unfortunatly any direct sequel to those would likely be a GfWL game as I think the IP is owned by microsft.. Other than that though, yes more monster trucks please. EXcite Truck is thw closest thing I have played recently.

• yhancik says:

“When it’s going your way, it’s going your way”
      “Graaaave Digger… has just missed a checkpoint”

ahh the memories

13. Nero says:

Vin Diesel crashes in the final shot :(

14. Zeewolf says:

The developer of Flatout 3 (Team 6) has a history of making awful racing games.

15. Raziel_Alex says:

Sadly, it looks low-budget as hell, with no decent publicity and coming out in a few days.

16. slpk says:

All that blur is a tad annoying.

Also, who else came here thinking:
    “Wait a minute… Fallout 3 didn’t have destructible objects!?”

17. wodin says:

I enjoyed Flatout 2…Flatout ultimate carange felt like abit off a rip off to be honest. My daughter loved Flatout 2 aswell…so maybe one to get for her.

18. Multidirectional says:

Either this trailer is really horrible or Ultimate Carnage is still the way to go.

19. Benny says:

Flatout 2 is still a staple of the LANs me and a few friends have. Just great fun and hillarious even if you’re as terrible as i am.

That said, this trailer is bad. Doesn’t really show or sell the game in any way other than saying they have quite bad video editing skills. That logo popup…

20. Michael Hoss says:

Don’t buy it. This one is from Team 6 Studios which is a assignment studio somehow. Publishers with little money come to them, give them work and they’ll do it – but so far nothing usefull came out. Ya know, they also created the Wii FlatOut which sucked hard.

If you wonder how they got the licencse: Strategy First published the FlatOut Games in the east. That way they got some rights on the franchise and that way they were able to create the game for russia and to publish it via steam worldwide.

However: don’t. fucking. buy. this.

21. CaspianRoach says:

Non-existant vehicle damage model, horrible trailer, stupidly unrealistic physics (how the hell that armored car climbed 90 degree wall in 0 seconds? how did the guy fell through the car’s floor?) — this looks very 2003-ish. And judging by the zero advertising for the game in the last few months it’s obvious its place is in the bargain bin.

22. ZIGS says:

POST-PROCESSING EFFECTS

23. RyuRanX says:

First thing to do in the game:

Post-processing: Off

24. Mr_Initials says:

But what happens when I run out of my limited 20,000 explodable objects? Do I have to buy more?

25. irongamer says:

Maybe it is just me but whenever I see one of these car games that claims to have destructible objects and then the car frame itself remains as a ridged box I lose interest. Oh look the wheels and doors popped off, that real destruction right there…blah! I loved how 1sane and Carmageddon 2 (if I remember) had full “frame” deformation. Nothing like hitting something dead on watching your vehicle smash up like an accordion or become flat as a pancake after jumping it off a cliff…I miss those days.

26. TwwIX says:

Shitty car wreck model = 20,000 fully destructible objects?

o_O

27. Nenad says:

WAS THAT A TANK?!

28. Lucky Main Street says:

Does anyone feel like this trailer is really just showing off how bad the driving mechanics must be? Just touching another car sends you careening end over end in a ball of flames, and in most of these trailers the driver is barely able to stay on the track and exploding for hitting scenery.

29. UnravThreads says:

Isn’t this actually the fourth FlatOut game, not the third?

30. adamdoodaa says:

This is probobly the worse trailer i have seen for this day and age. I used to like flatout games but with this trailer i wouldnt even buy this game for a fiver. They seriously need to get a new trailer developer person.

31. Purple44 says:

Don’t blame the videos on Team6, the videos were publisher Strategy First doing.

For some history on the development of Flatout 3Flatout5, give these 2 threads a read:

Want a new Flatout for the PC? If yes, then we need your help.

Flatout5 discussion here:

If Team6 can deliver the fun of Flatout and give us Flatout 2 quality graphic, we are going to have some fun online with 16 player races and 24 player derbys!!!! :)

And there no GFWL, Flatout 3 is using Steamworks as online client.

32. Sire says:

What a huge disappointment. Bugbear, please come back and fix this clusterfuck.

Here is a video comparison between Flatout 2 and 3: