Browse’n'Bash: C&C Tiberium Alliances

By Alec Meer on December 14th, 2011 at 1:01 pm.

Update: we now also know that this will indeed be free to play, and that the beta kicks off tomorrow.

Oho, looks as though we’re actually getting two new Command & Conquer games. We know about the Frostbyte-powered, militaristic Generals 2, but the Tiberium universe yet lives too. Command & Conquer: Tiberium Alliances is a browser-based, HTML 5-powered “epic strategy MMO” which “allows players to experience C&C in a brand new way.” Primarily by being able to access it from most any browser – they seem to be thinking about mobile devices here too. The MMO bit revolves around playing with or against your friends and forming alliances on a “dynamically updating map”. Despite all this new-fangled newness, the brief website maintains this is “hardcore strategy.” On dev duties are Battleforge chaps Phenomic.

There’ll be a closed beta soon, though the URL for it is deaded. Now working. Gogogo!

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. simoroth says:

Sometimes I think EA is really trying its hardest to destroy the value of every IP it owns.

• iviv says:

Eh, I’m going to give it a try. No point knocking it yet, since it could turn out to be great. I mean, sure their track record isn’t fantastic, but that doesn’t mean we should just ignore everything else from them, judge it on its own merit.
      That said, it could turn into some kind of Farmville clone where you can only win by having a billion friends and a ton of microtransactions, in which case yes, you would be totally right.

• Iain_1986 says:

So now an MMO-RTS Isn’t a good idea as its EA?

I thought people were wanting a decent MMORTS in the market?

• GT3000 says:

At the very least it speaks of the very ingenuity and sustaining IP WestWood created….Or how thick nostalgia goggles can be.

• Untruth says:

+ I’d love to play a C&C MMO
      + I’d love to play C&C in the browser when I feel like it
      + I’ve always been uninterested in C&C and RA going faaaancy 3D, so this pleases me to look simpler

Thus far, all these things sound good. The EA bit is surmountable.

2. Matt says:

What does “deaded” mean? The URL led to a beta signup form for me. (I didn’t sign up.)

• Burning Man says:

Apparently, I just signed up and am now playing.

I don’t get it.

EDIT: Oh no worries, it loaded for a bit and then said ‘No Beta Access’. Phew. And here I was worried for a minute that I might actually be able to play instantly.

• Hoaxfish says:

It didn’t earlier… maybe flooded with people, or something, but it certainly wasn’t available about ~30mins ago.

3. Hoaxfish says:

This seems really vague… I’m trying to look at their site etc, but there doesn’t even seem to be basic screenshots or anything.

Is it one of those static management games? or are we talking full-blown RTS units and stuff whizzing everywhere?

4. novemberdobby says:

woohoo, more EA account fun

5. bigdeadbug says:

The lack of information is indeed disturbing. I guess I’ll just have to hope they go back to the old CnC style of play. I don’t think I can take any more of their “revolutionary” RTS ideas.

6. Synesthesia says:

WHERE’S MY RED ALERT 4

7. rocketman71 says:

I thought 10 years of this would already have shown publishers that putting MMO in front of your game is not going to automatically make us spend our money.

In fact, for many of us is going to do exactly the opposite.

8. Brosepholis says:

If only this was from an indie developer, then I might be interested in it…

9. westyfield says:

Attention everyone: it’s Frostbite, not Frostbyte. Thank you, and have a nice day.

10. vodka and cookies says:

Hmm I wonder if this is in 2D I would sort of like to that.

11. sharkh20 says:

What, you want another power plant? That will be $.99 please.

12. Sardaukar says:

Well, the images so far look like C&C3. More C&C3 cannot be a bad thing.

(Yes yes, Tiberian Sun wins for atmosphere but come on, C&C3 really nailed the gameplay better than any other entry IMO)

13. CowTsign says:

I continued through to their website and found a trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-DCFVvV88g

14. fdhdfhf says: