South Park RPG Looks Like South Park

By Adam Smith on January 6th, 2012 at 3:54 pm.

This is an astonishing turn of events. Obsidian’s RPG based upon long-running Pixar-bothering animation showcase South Park looks quite a lot like South Park. In fact, it looks almost exactly like South Park. I could just put some screengrabs from the telebox show down here and you probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, although the actual screenshots do contain the paraphernalia of combat and class-based conflict, and there’s a tendency for people to be positioned as if waiting to fight in a well-ordered fashion. The visual design on the game draws on a decade and a half’s worth of assets provided by Parker and Stone, who are also writing the script. Look, see.

The framework of the game sees the player controlling a new kid arriving in South Park and journeying around to make both friends and enemies. Characters that have been discovered will be added to a social network style database, which could prompt me to indulge in the acquaintance-gathering urge that I’ve managed to avoid in the real world. It’s to be small parties and side-on combat, with classes chosen from fighter, mage, thief, cleric and Jew. This is a game in which Jews will beat up hippies for experience and loot.

, , , .

1. westyfield says:

“classes chosen from fighter, mage, thief, cleric and Jew.
    AAAH HA HA HA HA HA OH TREY PARKER AND MATT STONE YOU ARE ONES FOR THE JOKES
    “JEW”
    SO FUNNY
    *wipes tear*

• HexagonalBolts says:

I can’t tell if you’re being serious or not but that part genuinely made me burst out laughing, and not for the sheer toilet-humour naughty-word element.

• Orija says:

That is the funniest thing I saw today.

• westyfield says:

I’ll admit it raised a smile, but it was the same smile you make when someone says “What’s the best thing about sex with 23 year olds?
      There’s 20 of them.”
      It was a ‘I find this funny but I feel like a bad person for finding it funny’ smile.
      But then again maybe I’m being over-sensitive, missing the point of parodying the anti-Semites, etc.
      I don’t watch a lot of South Park so I’m not sure how well such jokes fit in to the show, but I’ve seen episodes where Jew is used as a straight-up insult and that makes me feel slightly uncomfortable.

• Sweedums says:

@westyfield – this.

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

The only person who I can recall who ever uses ‘jew’ as an insult on the show is Cartman (well, and Mel Gibson, but y’know) and he’s an absolutely over the top bigot and asshole who hates everyone and everything who may be slightly ‘different’ : jews, blacks, hippies, gingers, gays…and he’s almost always depicted as a sad, cowardly, insecure, spoiled, stupid little psycho himself.

so yeah wouldn’t worry about it too much. :-)

• ulix says:

@Rinox: this.

• MiniMatt says:

There is definitely parody in the TV shows and doubtless will be in the scripted story parts of the game.

That’s not what worries me. It’s the opening of player usage that won’t be crafted parody; it’ll be groups moaning “yeah gotta wait on the fucking Jews to recharge mana”, it’ll be the forums (good god the forums) on noticing that “Jews are overpowered” and need nerfing – except a whole lot of people will think they’re terribly witty and clever by saying “holocaust on the jews” rather than “nerf the jews” or “hitler was right, jews need to be put in their place” – and those same vile little people will internally be able to tell themselves “it’s alright, it’s acceptable, I’m using parody like a big boy”.

• magnus says:

And Family Guy is HILARIOUS! (mexican face-palming into unconciousness)

• hoobajoo says:

It’s actually a reference to the Lord of the Rings episode, where the boys are roleplaying as heroes. Kyle wants to be a paladin, but every time he mentions it, Cartman says “Jews can’t be paladins”, and always refers to his class as “Jew”. Which was actually true in real life: Jews weren’t allowed to be paladins. Not that Cartman isn’t an asshole, but it makes the joke work on multiple levels.

South Park was actually quite clever back when they tried to be.

• Arona Daal says:

It should be mentioned that 99% of all SP episodes (not the few new ones) can watched for free on the Southpark Homepage:

Edit: This is the main US site,but it should link to the national subsites,if there are any, i for my part can watch it in English,or the much more crappy german version.

• MiniMatt says:

@Arona Daal – think this may be a US only thing as coming from a UK looking IP address results in computer says no – given there are about 12 channels showing repeats every other night I’m guessing money was involved

• zaphod42 says:

“classes chosen from fighter, mage, thief, cleric and Jew.”

Hey, they listed thief twice!

It seemed like the obvious joke. ^_^
      Sorry if anybody is offended, not trying to be anti-Semitic, people who follow Judaism are just fine with me.

• Justin Keverne says:

@MiniMatt – This.

;)

• hoobajoo says:

It’s pretty much OK to jab anyone in US comedy as long as the joke is actually funny and made in good faith. Search for Lisa Lampanelli if you want an example of an American comic that is simultaneously extremely crass and good natured. I personally don’t like her (she’s kind of a hack) but it’s a decent enough example of how far. Alternatively, look up Doug Stanhope’s bit he does on Jews; he’s much less mainstream, but the comedy is much smarter. WARNING BOTH ARE NOT WORK SAFE. BLAST YOUR SPEAKERS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I think a lot of Americans find the 90′s attitude of political correctness very irritating and tired, if well-meaning, and we have a lot of fun transgressing it for laughs.

• Kadayi says:

No doubt if you opt for Jew you get extra starting gold (and yes that’s a South park reference)

• nikiasfae says:

Ahh, Grandia. Now there was a good combat system. Fond memories. Thanks for bringing that up, Bhazor. http://migre.me/7r8MJ

• edit says:

The way I see it, if there’s any group of people who seems out of bounds to make jokes about, there’s some perceptive imbalance that could use some adjustment, probably some cultural mechanism of fear keeping you from discussing different things with equal freedom. The great thing about South Park, and much good comedy in general (hello Monty Python) is that it levels the playing field again and gets us able to make fun of ourselves (everyone) again, which also helps break down boundaries we might hold up in non-humorous discussions as well.

It’s comedy. The insulter is as much the butt of the joke as the insultee, and the jokes that ‘go too far’ to our current sensibilities only help us illuminate and potentially re-evaluate our perceptions and generalizations.

• Consumatopia says:

A lot of us found that attitude irritating and tired in the 90s and laughed heartily at South Park. Because, hey, back before the dot-com crash and 9/11, when the Singularity and the End of History were about to happen any day now, out of control political-correctness stifling freedom seemed like our biggest problem.

But then I turn it on now in 2012 and it’s like they’re still living in that world–where preachy do-gooders are our biggest threat, and transgressing PC boundaries is our only salvation. It’s still funny–I liked the Jew class. But for a show focused so much on topical humor, it strangely feels like it came out of a time capsule.

• Metriculated says:

@ edit

+1 mate, well said. Take for example the episodes on AIDs and cancer, they’re some of the best yet the subject matter is on some of the worst experiences we can have in life.

For South Park, see Frankie Boyle, he’s the closest thing we have to it over here – a brash and brazen comic. Oh, and Mongrels which is British to its middle-class core. . .

• LionsPhil says:

Consumatopia: +1, Insightful

2. Tridae says:

Is it weird to say that I’m actually excited for this? Loving how much it looks like the show.

• Ephaelon says:

Chances are it’ll also move like the show, which means a lotta blood, gore, guts and visceral, violent combat. Of course the screenshots show none of that but it’s early yet.

3. Flukie says:

Wow that looks.. perfect.

Spot on like the show. Gonna enjoy this, I can’t remember if its coming to PC or not but I assume it is as its on RPS

4. MiniMatt says:

I know I’m going to come across as all yoghurt weaving liberal worrier here but I can’t help but worry about the Jew inclusion. The joke within the context of the tv show is a controlled environment, tongue firmly in cheek etc. Within a game, and bearing in mind the sort of attitude and language that is beyond merely common in many if not all multiplayers, I wonder if it just ends up reinforcing the term as an acceptable insult.

I log into Eve, long regarded the most grown-up (by virtue of complexity) of MMOs and I can guarantee you will hear, within two minutes of Jita local chat, someone proclaiming “I LIKE BEWBS!”, someone accusing someone else of “jewing it up in a renter alliance”, and someone else letting the world know that he rolled a black avatar (although of course he won’t say “black” but another word..” because he was going into drug production.

Dunno, perhaps I am just being the worrying yoghurt weaver here, I’m just thinking that jokes in the context of a script is one thing but introducing as acceptable into the mainstream as common parlance is something else.

• HexagonalBolts says:

But by making ‘Jew’ a part of the videogame they’re parodying those very people who do act like that.

• MiniMatt says:

I’d argue there’s parody of those people in the TV scripts definitely. Not entirely sure the mindset who typically inhabit most MMOs (actually, let me re-phrase that – the mindset who are typically most vocal in MMOs) will grasp the parody.

Like I say, any MMO or multiplayer that has a general chat will have at very regular intervals some fapping twazzock asking the world to “+1 if you like bewbs!” – these are not the people I figure grasp paraody.

• Zetetic says:

To nick a joke: That’s a beauty of irony, you get to profit from twice the audience.

It’s forever an issue with this kind of satire. You see it with standups like Jerry Sadowitz, with films like Natural Born Killers.

I’ve always thought that South Park is actually pretty clear about its targets though and I would say the same is probably true here.

• Jicksta says:

I guess I’d just say that having tongue-in-cheek jokes included on a television script is already a good way to make terms like these common parlance.

• MiniMatt says:

Oh I agree, South Park the TV show is perfect, it’s a script worked to perfection that’s poking people who may not even realise they’re being poked (and I include myself amongst that populace as South Park is undeniably an equal opportunities offender they get round to every group at some point).

That’s a script.

If the Jew inclusion were part of the game script then I’d see no problem as whether folks got it or not is rather irrelevant, it’s a static and scripted encounter.

But as a class, as a playable class I have concerns that it just opens up “Jew” as acceptable target out of the game. It’s been ages since I dabbled with WoW but “fuckin hunters” was the common quote of the day – that very easily migrates to “fuckin Jews”.

Like I say, I’m playing devils advocate a little here, and I’m very much leftie leaning so that no doubt colours my perception, though I would note that I love the South Park tv. Replace “Jew” with “Homo” or “Paki”, or “Muslim” – all could work in a TV script and tread that line between offence and parody of the very people who use such terms in a derogative manner, but when you’ve got 30,000 twelve year olds running round moaning about “fucking homos” – and them being provided a framework to internally defend such attitudes in game as acceptable then the danger of it becoming acceptable out of the game strikes as being quite real in a way that crossover from an asymetric TV viewing experience doesn’t.

• JamesPatton says:

I understand your concern – a major reason I don’t play online much is because there are a lot of immature, bigoted people playing these things and I just don’t find it fun to play with them.

Bear in mind, though, that South Park has been around for 15 years and Cartman has insulted Kyle for being a Jew in almost every single episode. Also bear in mind that Cartman has been portrayed as such a bigoted, small-minded, hate-mongering ***hole that I’m sure almost every viewer rejoices whenever he loses a bet or is beaten up.

Basically, it would be weird to make a South Park game and avoid using the word “Jew” as an insult from Cartman, even though his prejudice is completely unfounded. I see the inclusion of the “Jew” class as just a translation of that humour (and the idea that Cartman is an ***hole) into gameplay terms.

Also, IIRC this is a single player RPG, not an MMO, so 1) people who play this might not be playing MMOs anyway and 2) the “Jew” class won’t have any effect on any MMO world so it seems unlikely people will see the “Jew” class the same way they see the hunter class.

And, to be honest, I’m not sure the bigotry and inherent racism online could be made any worse by anything anyway.

• Wulf says:

Being a leftie myself, I’d normally be riding with your banner and colours held high, MiniMatt. There’s too much damned suffering in this world already, too many people willing to perpetrate it, too many people who enjoy schadenfreude, and… let’s face it, some days it feels like humanity is circling the rim of a vividly sociopathic hellhole.

(Forgive any typos here. Not on my own notebook currently, so I’m going to do all sorts of weird things, probably. Blargh.)

I will mention two things though that have mutated the nature of this in my head, and cast your worries into doubt. I may be wrong, but again, I’m as lefty as anyone and ethics matter to me, but hear me out, okay? I mean, I’m the guy who doesn’t like the symbology of genocide in Skyrim. Of course something like this is going to bother me if there’s any weight to it.

Okay, first – the lesser: This is a single player RPG, not an MMORPG. So if we do play the game we won’t really be watching local chat and seeing people yell “Fucking Jews!”, if that did become a thing the I’d drop the angry, ranty ethics bomb on the people responsible right away. Even if it was Obsidian. I don’t stand for this sort of thing. But it’s not an MMO.

Here’s the more important thing: Is the argument relevant?

Okay, how to explain this? Is ‘Jew’ an insult if used without negative context? You use ‘Jew’ in relation to ‘Homo,’ but is that fair? A person can be a Jew with no negative context as I understand it, can they not? It’s the same as gay in that respect. You can be gay with no negative context in the word – I am gay, that’s a thing. I like men, I’m gay. No negativity. But you can also use gay as an insult, and that’s where context becomes important. And worse is when, yes, people move on to “Homo” and “Cocksucker,” because that shit isn’t on. It’s sociopathic bullshit and we both know it, we both do.

Now, here’s the thing:

If South Park had a Gay class, and they portrayed Gay as something awesome, then… what the hell? Sure, I’m fine with that. I’m even okay with AIDS as a debuff, I can take that. But it all depends on the portrayal. If they portray the Gay class as something everyone hates and considers abnormal, and use the word Gay to describe undesirable things, then… sure, that might be a problem. But this is South Park. It’s South Park. They’d totally make a Gay class ad turn it into something awesome.

…I’m probably giving Obsidian ideas.

Anyway. Same with Jew. If they portray Jew in a positive light, in a way that portrays being a Jew as as awesome or desirable as being a Mage or a Fighter, and something that no one speaks negatively of, then what’s the problem? All they’d really need to do is have a hero in te game who is a Jew, and one who’s looked up to. One who even manages to put Cartman in his place (psychopathic little git that he is). That’s all you need. It’s nuanced, and it depends on context.

It’s all about how they handle it. Having Jew as a class isn’t automatically damning in a single player RPG. It might turn out to be damning, or it might turn out to be awesome. Can’t know until we’ve played it, really.

So I totally uderstand your concerns. But if they handle it right, it’ll turn out all right.

• Nick says:

huh, I know gay people who call themselves and each other homos…

• Bhazor says:

…. you’re taking Cartman seriously? Wow.

Borat will blow your mind.

• InternetBatman says:

On the other hand, racist stereotypes of jews already exist in videogames.

• nearly says:

The issue there is that making a joke on a television show’s closed environment doesn’t preclude anyone reusing or modifying the joke in other contexts.

I also haven’t heard a word about the game being an MMO, and I don’t understand where this part of the fear comes from. Even if it were an MMO, in the context of said MMO, a “Jew” would be whatever the in-game lore describe it as, and it would be idiotic to say that anything said to disparage the class is also disparaging the people it is named for. When people talk about hunters being overpowered in WoW, do you instantly assume that they’re talking about people with guns or bows that are out hunting real animals?

People of various maturity levels are out there, and that’s a fact of life. I play online with people that use quite a few derogatory terms that they would never actually use in an intentionally offensive manner: does that make it less offensive when one of them calls someone a “jew” or the n-word? No, but I realize they don’t mean any offense, and they’ll grow out of it. I don’t see this as encouraging anything that’s out there already.

• Consumatopia says:

Okay, it’s not an MMO, and the game itself sounds fine to me. But what you just said? Nonsense. The setting of South Park is Colorado, not Azeroth. The game lore is only funny because of the connection to Jewish people in our world. This is not like Apache helicopters in a war sim.

Building an MMO around an show centered on ironic bigotry would descend into a virtual race war immediately.

• Eddy9000 says:

I find that South Park, like most other bad-taste humour acts (Frankie Boyle springs to mind) is hilarious when offensive terms and ideas are being used cleverly, self-knowingly and wittily, but in the odd flat gags and episodes when they are none of these they just come across as pointless, offensive and nasty.

For example the South Park episode “with apologies to Jesse Jackson” I thought was brilliant – clever and funny in its use of an unnacceptable word for humour and social commentary; making the film actors guild into the acronym F.A.G. in ‘Team America’ was just trying to derive humour from bigoted social attitudes towards homosexuals. I think ironists have a responsibility to be careful to portray their material as such, or else they run the risk of glorifying and maintaining harmful and marginalising social attitudes. A fine line, but when it pays off it pays of well!

• Werthead says:

According to this interview:

The ‘Jew’ class is a kind of badass special forces ninja type, possibly not far from the paladin class Kyle wanted to play as in the TV episode but was forcibly renamed as ‘Jew’ by Cartman. I assume that Obsidian and the writers wanted to ensure the class wasn’t gimped or weak because of the concerns you (and others) raise.

5. Shooop says:

This is a game in which Jews will beat up hippies for experience and loot.

Not like you need either of those reasons to beat up hippies of course.

• Wulf says:

See, that kind of attitude has you taking on level 80 elite hippies. Then you get your arse kicked by a hippie, and you end up on the Jew subforums bitching about how hippies are really overpowered, and that their hugs and love rainbows need to be nerfed.

6. HexagonalBolts says:

South Park always amazes me with it’s ability to simultaneously be so ludicrously stupid and so keenly intelligent. Humour is certainly the most intelligent form of criticism, I’m sure Monty Python would agree.

• MikoSquiz says:

My problem with South Park has always been that it’s at its cleverest when it’s just blatantly being stupid, and at its very stupidest when trying to be clever or insightful. Watching it is like being friends with David Brent.

• InternetBatman says:

I’m a big fan of South Park but it’s most intelligent when it’s trying to be ludicrously stupid, and the most hamfisted and least intelligent when it’s trying to make a point.

• GreatGreyBeast says:

@Miko/InternetBatman – I think that paradox perfectly illustrates why the South Park movie was so awesome, and Team America so awful.

7. Walsh says:

Guh, the screenshots make it look like JRPG style combat. Anyone who thinks JRPG combat is worthwhile should be fired into the sun.

• Wizardry says:

JRPG combat = CRPG combat.

• Walsh says:

You there, step into this rocket please.

• frenz0rz says:

Chrono Trigger. That is all.

• Fox89 says:

Dark Souls is also a ‘JRPG’.

As for the turn based stuff: I’ll gladly take a seat in your rocket. It’s great and it has been so since Chess.

• kalidanthepalidan says:

They’ve actually said it’s more akin to the Mario & Luigi series than a menu based combat system. Which is a good thing.

• HexagonalBolts says:

Wh-… Mario and Luigi? Well that I did not expect.

• Bhazor says:

Good turn based combat is good (Grandia, Disgaea, Super Mario RPG, Exile). There is also crap turn based combat where all you do is reuse the same command for every unit every turn (including most of the stuff Wizardry has recommended).

Turn based combat does not automatically equal good combat. There is a difference.

• MikoSquiz says:

Disgaea had probably the best turn-based combat ever, but I know what you mean. Final Fantasy-style “select ‘attack’ eight hundred times; if fighting a boss, select ‘attack’ eight hundred times and ‘item -> potion’ two hundred times” combat.

• DocSeuss says:

The odd thing is that Wizardry’s actually kinda right.

• Wizardry says:

@Bhazor: And what would you know about the games I recommend? I often recommend games with better combat systems than the games you just mentioned.

• westyfield says:

Define ‘better’.

• mondomau says:

Sorry, can someone explain to me how on earth Dark Souls is a JRPG – at least in terms of combat?

• Bhazor says:

@ Wizardry

Well with the exception of Temple of Elemental Evil most of the games you recommend are of the first person no formation, no special abilities, no room for tactics style. The kind of game where most challenge comes from trying to navigate the menu. Where combat is Warrior A attacks Goblin, Warrior B attacks Goblin, Cleric A attacks goblin again and again with little to no variation. Maybe its personal taste but for me Dragon Age has more tactical depth than most of those games.

@Modomau

It’s an RPG from Japan. It’s kind of pointing out how narrow a description the acronym JRPG inspires. JRPGs come in many flavours and when somebody says “Ick a JRPG” they seem to assume every JRPG is Final Fantasy 5.

• Wizardry says:

@mondomau: JRPG means RPGs from Japan. It’s the same way Skyrim keeps getting called a western RPG when it has little in common with D&D.

@Bhazor: Uh, no? Never heard me talk positively about the Gold Box series or Wizard’s Crown? There’s a whole lot more I’ve mentioned too. Check out the following post I made on the RPS forum on the subject:

• Bhazor says:

@ Wizardry

Ahh, my apologies I remember you recommending the Gold Box games and I thought they were completely different.

• Craig Stern says:

I think it’s safe to say at this point that “JRPG” and “WRPG” have come to stand for certain characteristics that go beyond a game’s country of origin. (Sort of like how champagne has come to mean sparkling wine, rather than wine from a certain region in France.)

• apocraphyn says:

8. Dana says:

Im intrigued.

9. nimzy says:

It makes sense that Cartman is a wizard. Everyone knows wizards are assholes.

• Premium User Badge Rinox says:

Agreed. Second only to paladins, which I’m sure is what Cartman would have been if there was one. Paladin players almost invariably end up being a twisted abomination of what the class is supposed to be, which would be perfect for Cartman’s bent view of reality and justice.

I can’t wait to beat up some hippies now.

• westyfield says:

Not wearing a monocle = not a wizard.

• Bhazor says:

This is kind of what I imagined the RPG would be like

Real life augmented with the imagination of 8 year old’s. With gory violence and pitch black humour. Looking forward to this even without attaching one of my favourite existing studios to it.

• InternetBatman says:

I was pretty sure it would take more cues from the LoTR episode than the anime one. They even go on a quest in the LoTR episode.

10. kalidanthepalidan says:

This is most excellent. I’m really excited about this game. I wonder if there will be Persona-y elements within the social network database?

11. MikoSquiz says:

Those screenshots actually took me from 3% interest to around 20%, then the description took me back down to 0% again.

“Stupid that thinks it’s clever” is so much worse than just “stupid”.

• BAReFOOt says:

That’s the Dunning-Kruger effect for ya… People like you who are so dumb that they mistake their inability to comprehend for stupidity in what they can’t comprehend. And on top of all that, an inferiority complex, causing hatred against even the slightest hint of the possibility of an own imperfection.
      I bet you hated the film “Revolver” too, and for the same reasons. Well thank you very much, cause over here, where people generally understood the thing, it didn’t even make it to the cinemas thanks to people like you hating it so much in the UK. Even though it would have been a huge success, considering that when it came out on DVD here, it was a huge success and everybody thinks it’s awesome and leaves Snatch in the dust.

12. Abundant_Suede says:

For me South Park kind of peaked more than a decade ago. Since then they’ve lapsed into too much shock humor for the sake of being shocking, too many ignorant and irresponsible viewpoints promoted too casually, and humor that is just downright mean spirited, ridiculing people’s flaws with no real satirical value other than that making fun of other peoples weakness is funny. It casually trades on racist humor under the banner of satire, but it doesn’t feel all that satirical, and I doubt many of the people the show attracts are appreciating it on that level so much as they simply think the racial jokes are funny in themselves.

Basically, it’s the internet. I don’t need to pay for a game to wallow in the same misanthropic cesspool I have to tread through every day. But the biggest problem, is it just isn’t as funny any more. It’s tired, and it suffers the fate that all shock humor does when the shock inevitably wears off. It becomes predictable. (I do remember enjoying the World of Warcraft episode, though).

I realize that by having some of these opinions, I’m exactly the sort of person SP would mock. But when has that ever not been the case with bullies, to mock those who refuse to “go along with the joke”.

Luckily, it’s being made by Obsidian, so I know it will have mediocre gameplay and a host of technical issues, and I won’t be tempted at all to subject myself to it.

Oh dear. I seem to have committed the high offense of slighting Obsidian on RPS, AND demonstrated my appalling lack of humor by not morally absolving South Park in the name of satire, or finding all things acceptable in the pursuit of yuks. It occurs to me this may have been a tactical error. Perhaps this is a good day to take some time off from RPS and get some work done.

• Bhazor says:

Heh, ironically you are exactly the type of person the show is based around. The whole show is about inciting and subverting knee jerk reactions like yours. Exagerating to the point of rediculousness and then laughing at the people who actually take offence to it.

• mondomau says:

I don’t know what flack you got or if it was deleted, but I’d just like to point out that I suspect you (and a few others here) might be missing some of the subtler humour in South Park – almost every episode’s plot is working on two levels: the bit with the dumb, dick/rascism/toilet jokes (ironic or otherwise) is often a smokescreen for the (usually much more vicious) political or celebrity satire being weaved in the back ground, not the other way around. The ‘hidden’ part is easy to miss if you are only half watching or being presumptuously dismissive of the show.

I’m not having a pop (I honestly thought the same before I started watching again around season 10-11?ish), but before you tell me I’m wrong and you get *all* the jokes, do me a favour and actually sit down and really watch a few episodes from the last few seasons.
      Or not, whatever.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@Bhazor

I did acknowledge that that in my post.

Me: I realize that by having some of these opinions, I’m exactly the sort of person SP would mock. But when has that ever not been the case with bullies

I do have trace amounts of self awareness.

Anyway, it’s also clear I didn’t expect my opinion to be popular here. So carry on.

• Tyshalle says:

I was just gonna say that I disagree with you, and that I think that South Park has actually gotten better, funnier, smarter, and more mature over the years, but that was before I read your last paragraph and realized how arrogantly self-aggrandizing you are, and that engaging you in reasonable discourse is probably not possible.

That said, maybe you are more reasonable than you make yourself appear (though I mean, negatively stereotyping the internet and then ending your piece by getting up on a high horse, shitting on people here who perhaps like Obsidian, and then signing off by saying you’re done with this site for a while is without a doubt unintentional irony), in which case I’d suggest that you take a look around at critical articles that discuss the evolution of South Park over the 15 seasons or however long it’s been on now. I can understand if you simply find it distasteful because you have some inherent bias against obscenity, but when you lambast the show for being shock humor purely for the sake of being shocking, but then suggest that it’s not as funny as it used to be (that is, back in the day when it was far more shock for shock’s sake and much less perceptive, intelligent and topical), it just makes me think that your opinion is not particularly informed, nor insightful. And maybe, if you used to like it, then you should give it another chance.

But that’s just me.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@Tyshalle

How is acknowledging that Obsidian has a strong fanbase here “shitting on the people here who like Obsidian”.

Did I somewhere say “all people who like Obsidian are dumb” or some equivalent? Did I even Imply that? I may have implied I feared a backlash for that opinion, and that it would be met very defensively, but of course by your own response, that fear is clearly unfounded.

As far as I’m aware, I gave my own opinion of Obsidian, and acknowledged that it wouldn’t be popular because lots of people here are fans.

I understand you don’t like my opinion, but no where did I make any statement about Obsidian fans themselves, except to recognize that they do, in fact, exist.

[Edit] I’ll go even further here. There are a lot of really intelligent people that post on this site whose opinions I respect, that are fans of Obsidian for the things they believe Obsidian does well. I see their points. For my own part, I simply believe the things they do poorly result in a long string of games that are mediocre on balance. I enjoy certain things about their work, but I dont enjoy their work as a whole.

Is that better?

• Bhazor says:

Go watch Osama Bin Laden is A Farty Pants.

A brilliant little critique of Islamaphobia, American Superpatriotism, casual racism, rolling news and the war on Afghanistan.

All made less than a month after 9/11. Back when most of the media thought Mosques were secretly scud missile launchers.

• Tyshalle says:

I’m not sure how of everything that I said, the only thing that gets a five paragraph response from you is one of three things I said to suggest that you can very easily be considered to be a part of the very same internet kidz stereotype you lambast supporters of South Park for, but whatever. Like I said, rational discourse is likely going to be impossible with you.

Sorry if I mistook your very fine opinion of supporters of Obsidian (of which I am not one; in fact, based on your sarcastic edit-statement I think that you and I see very much eye-to-eye on them) as negative hyperbole. It’s just that you seemed to be so off base and wildly, almost willfully, inaccurate of your other depictions in the very same sentence that I somehow grouped them together. My bad.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@Bhazor

I understand they have some good shows. I tried to make a point of that in my post with the WOW show remark, but maybe it didn’t come across. Sometimes they do take a position Im sympathetic to, and of course that is much easier to like.

But they take a lot of positions that I think are irresponsible, overly convenient, opportunistic, and just mean spirited as well that really trouble me, and no, it’s not a matter of falling down political lines either. I’ve always generally enjoyed their satires of liberal stereotypes, and always try to support things that make us examine ourselves. I feel they cross those boundaries into cheap jokes at other peoples expense, and outright pandering to ignorance.

It wasn’t an overnight thing. I was a fan for a long time. I didn’t just watch an episode of Southpark, see a talking piece of human excrement, and turn my nose up. Over time, it became harder and harder to laugh, and I just got a queasier and queasier feeling watching the show. I can no longer overlook enough of what I dont like, to enjoy it.

I’m sorry.

• Abundant_Suede says:

@Tyshalle

My “edit statement” is not sarcastic in any way, and meant in utter sincerity.

I didn’t respond to your other statements because I have nothing to amend. I wont apologize for my opinion of the internet. It’s a terrible place with some wonderfully redeeming qualities and high points, but still a terrible place on balance.

I understand you don’t like what I say, but I dont believe I’ve disparaged anybody on RPS as much as you are inferring, and wouldn’t, as I consider RPS one of the exceptions those high points. That doesnt mean I agree with the consensus around here on every issue, and am unaware when I am saying something that will prove to be unpopular.

• Tyshalle says:

Fair enough. It’s not like I think you need to apologize for anything. And even though I disagree with you on whether the show is any good or not, it’s not like I think that your opinion is wrong and therefore I am arguing with you about it. It just seemed to me that you have a few inconsistent viewpoints about the show (such as it being shock value purely for the sake of shock value, but then saying that you liked it better in its earlier years, when it was far more shock for shock and far less topical and well thought out) and that you may have not picked up on some of the subtleties (though frankly, they’re not that subtle, but I can see how they could be overlooked if you are particularly sensitive to obscenity) that might make you appreciate the show and how much it’s grown over the years. It’s why I suggested you google some articles on the topic instead of trying to convince you myself. I know that when someone responds to someone else on the internet with disagreement, the knee-jerk reaction tends to be to try and prove the other person wrong, but I figure if you looked up what someone else had to say about it, you might feel differently.

And for the record, it’s not like I think the show is perfect or anything. It’s basically 15 seasons of making fun of people and their ideologies while almost never offering any solutions beyond being more reasonable/moderate and less crazy/knee-jerky, but I feel like the show is science fiction at its best. It presents most of its topics in such extreme circumstances that they basically become metaphors that are (if you are capable of getting past the obscenities) much easier to digest than having someone just preach to you (though admittedly, the show is very preachy at times). And admittedly, if your point of view strays too far from their libertarian/moderate stance, it is hard to go along with it. I remember a particular episode where they basically said that anyone who is atheist and anti-religion is full of shit, which to me seemed sort of out of character for the show (at the time, anyway), but I do think that more often than not, their stance is just anti-extremism, and while they don’t usually give better solutions for most of the issues they crap on, I do think there is a lot of merit/usefulness to simply pointing out the absurdity of extremism itself.

But again, that’s me. I’m not suggesting that your opinions are wrong. I just think that some of the anecdotal facts you’re basing your opinions off of might be a little bit shaky.

• Abundant_Suede says:

I’m not really arguing with the people disagreeing with me either. I figured the least I could do if Im willfully going to post opinions I know will be unpopular, is to stick around and take the flak. I’m just correcting where I think people are mistakenly interpreting something I said.

• Hanban says:

Something interesting to read in regards to South Park. I’m just putting it here because I like capital letters a lot.

• Craig Stern says:

I freakin’ love Film Crit Hulk. Great article.

• Metriculated says:

@ InternetBatman

It’s always been a sort of unwritten-rule that Stan and Kyle are the voices of Matt and Trey. . . Take for example the episodes based around the break up of their friendship and the birth of cynical Stan, it’s a fantastically ironic appraisal of South Park’s impact on comedy, its fans’ opinions of the shows development and the media at large, yet also gives an insight into the way the writers view themselves and their creation. One of my favourite double-episodes of all time, not to mention its use of “Tweenwave” (I do fucking love a bit of dubstep lol) and that Randy is a boss. . .

13. strange_headache says:

Wow, so much hate towards Southpark… I really don’t get it. Am I the only one who gets the blunt humor paired with social criticism? This series manages like nothing else that is currently airing on TV to play with and denounce the common media trends and social stereotypes. It is an exercise in what happens when you take these stereotypes and go all the way. The shock value does not come from the series itself, but the common prejudices that are defended by so many and belong, more often than not, to the most absurd things I have ever heard.

Southpark does not create these stereotypes and prejudices, they simply take them from society as a whole. The creators of Southpark just have the balls to take them to the extreme, but always within the constraints of their own logic. At first glance it may look like they are masters of the profane, but in my opinion they take their humor very seriously and never have I heard Try Parker or Matt Stone be involved in a scandal or seen them supporting an intolerant, narrow-minded and racist world-view. This contrary to many politically self-determined paragons of the righteous.

People need to make a difference between those who make take their humor as a sarcastic and ironic approach to a post-modern criticism and those who may defend the right values in their speech, but not their actions. I’d take a Parker or Stone over a Sarah Palin any day.

• strange_headache says:

Oh and I forgot to mention that Southpark is one of the few long running series that has actually managed to become better and smarter. I may have to agree that a few seasons in the middle were pretty disappointing bus the last ones a really enjoyable for what they are.

• InternetBatman says:

The problem with South Park is that their social criticism is a dull framework for good absurdist jokes. They resolutely dodge opinions on the issues presented in the show and then proceed to preach about them with the same message that everybody is stupid but the people doing the preaching. That turns a lot of people off and the funny jokes, the dead whales on the moon, go unnoticed.

And they have plenty of shock jokes that come from cheap visual gags that are well beneath them, not a brilliant analysis of social prejudices. Think about all the times they show people shitting or vomiting on screen.

This is going to sound a little harsh, but I think a lot of its fans are so proud of themselves for recognizing the social commentary that they don’t see how ultimately shallow it is, and that there are worthwhile criticisms of that aren’t reactionary and don’t center on the problematic racial issues.

14. celozzip says:

“The general critical concensus is that the show right now is the best it’s ever been.”

haha bravo bhazor! that’s hilarious! ahem. much like the simpsons (which died in the late 90s) south park hasn’t been ‘good’ in a long time, but i still watch it, it’s not as funny anymore but whatever… simpsons is a waste of time and family guy was never good so what else is there?

15. Navagon says:

The more I see of this, the more I’m interested. Erring on the side of caution though, given Obsidian’s hit and miss nature.

16. Shortwave says:

I can’t wait for this.. GIMMMME NOW!

17. Abundant_Suede says:

oops!

[misfire]

18. BatmanBaggins says:

Looks really cool, actually… For some reason, I wasn’t expecting it to look exactly like the show.

I’m not really sure why. Possibly because the only other South Park game that I played was that crappy FPS one.

19. Kleppy says:

I want this game, and the Jew thing made me burst out laughing, which is a pretty good start.

Also, as a Jew, I will play as myself.

20. Jahkaivah says:

This really is the best way of handling cartoon/comic video game adaptations. I wish Penny Arcade Adventures had gone this route with it’s gameplay.

21. Tei says:

Cartman killing treehugger elves just make sense.