RPS Is Blacking Out To Protest SOPA/PIPA

By John Walker on January 17th, 2012 at 6:08 pm.

I'm nude in this picture.

From 9am tomorrow morning, Rock, Paper, Shotgun will be blacked out in protest against SOPA and PIPA. The site will be gone, but for a single black page explaining why we’re doing this. And then Thursday morning we’ll be back. If you want to know why SOPA and PIPA are a problem serious enough for us to make a move like this (not a decision that tends to do wonders for your ratings, advertising, etc), read on, and watch the video below.

At RPS we genuinely believe in the astonishing wonder of the internet. An unpredictable, utterly remarkable endeavour of humanity, it has radically changed the world in the 16 or so years that it’s been a part of the average person’s life, and the many years before that when it was going unnoticed. It has challenged everything, shaken entire industries, and created hundreds of thousands of new ones. From every keyboard playing cat, to every regime overthrown by the connectivity it offers, this massive, ludicrous thing is something we all should be fiercely proud and jealous of. It deserves our protection.

SOPA and PIPA seek to destroy all of this, rendering the internet a system controlled by the State and large corporations. The incredible freedom will be taken away, replaced with a system controlled by those with the most money. After a year when the internet has been the foundation of radical changes throughout the world, from those able to network themselves to overthrow their oppressive regimes, to those who have made a mockery of super-injunctions, the incredible means of supporting previously unknown projects through Kickstarter and the like, to the many wonderful pieces of art that have flourished, after that year, and after the year before it, and the one before that, how can anyone sit back and not fight for this precious, precious thing.

That is why we’re going dark for a day. It’s a small thing, but it’s a way of raising awareness. It’ll piss people off when the site’s not working, and maybe some of those people will refuse to come back. I hope not. But you have to break eggs, and we’re not willing to tiptoe around this or pretend it isn’t happening. No, neither Congress nor the Senate will care that RPS is down, but the hundreds of thousands of people who visit RPS every day will. And they can pass that message on. This matters. Here’s why:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

This comment has been removed due to allegations of copyright infringement.

• Untitled says:

Sadly, I’m pretty sure the kind of censorship seen in the comment above is already possible through legal use of the DMCA

• Kefren says:

I’d never come across that before, until the other day when I noticed it in my Google results (if you are interested, it’s the screenshot in the ‘updates’ bit of http://tinyurl.com/7mbvwn6). Thanks to US legislation a non-US citizen has part of the Internet blacked out. A great example of why SOPA and every other silly bill that tries to hide part of the world should be stopped. We have to get our hands dirty to stop SOPA working (that doesn’t sound right, does it?) so well done RPS, but I’ll miss you.

• d3vilsadvocate says:

bah. They should only kill the site for Americans. How much can we Europeans do already agains this?

• alundra says:

@d3vilsadvocate

How much better would be this world we live in if this “it will never happen to me so I give a fuck” attitude would change into some thing like:

I care

• Lionmaruu says:

I’m posting here a copyright infringement for your pleasure:

Breaking rocks in the hot sun
      I fought the law and the law won
      I fought the law and the law won
      I needed money ’cause I had none
      I fought the law and the law won
      I fought the law and the law won

Robbin’ people with a six gun
      I fought the law and the law won
      I fought the law and the law won

• malkav11 says:

Europeans may not be able to do much to affect US legislation, but they sure will be affected by these laws if they pass. Isn’t it neat living in a global economy without a global government? :P

• Tyyr says:

“Hey Citizen, if you have nothing to hide, what are you worried about?”

• hemmingjay says:

I fully support the initiative to show our displeasure. I will not do any business online for the next 24 hrs either. On a related note, I forget how to masturbate offline.

• EmS says:

@ d3vilsadvocate
      if this actually gets through in america certain people will try to get it through in the eu
      well at least in germany something like pipa wouldn’t get through because it would be against our constitution

• Draega says:

This is why Europeans should care: http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/13/1548214/us-government-seeks-extradition-of-uk-student-for-file-sharing

If the US government can pull this s**t now in the name of copyright protection, does anyone want them more powerful?

• brokengod says:

@d3vilsadvocate:

First they came for the communists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
      and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.

Then they came for me
      and there was no one left to speak out for me.

• quicktooth says:

@brokengod – This is the Truth. We HAVE to fight for each other.

• malexmave says:

So, what _can_ we europeans do about this? I’d love to do something, but I have no idea, what. I can hardly call my senator (Well, technically, I guess I am in the jurisdiction of the Department of defense, but I don’t want to call _them_ to complain about SOPA/PIPA)…

2. Wizardry says:

At least let us play the text adventure.

3. terry says:

Hooray! No…wait…the other one.

4. PaulOHara says:

Crap, what am I supposed to do tomorrow? Actually do my college studies and be ahead of the class by a week or two? I will get everything done tomorrow and have nothing to do, which I guess in its own way is a good thing, that way I can play SWTOR and Saints Row :D

5. obvioustroll says:

So long as you’re not blacking up for Sopa.

6. Blackseraph says:

I think it is good thing that you care enough to do this. My opinion of sites who do this will only improve.

• TimA says:

Agreed. Good job, guys.

• McDan says:

Agreed again, Fight the silly people!

Hodge says:

• deke913 says:

Good show RPS…I’ll be looking forward to your return.

• noom says:

Also very much behind you doing this.

Don’t know how many others noticed, but the Metro (that’s a free British newspaper, non UK folks) ran wikipedia’s blackout on the front page today, so that’s nice; probably make a few more people take notice that didn’t know about all this.

• Terribleperson says:

Thank you RPS! Have you prepared a this-site-is-down-in-protest-of-your-stupid-proposed-legislation pun?

• Lone Gunman says:

• Lone Gunman says:

Fight the power!

cairbre says:

Fair play lads tis the right thing to do

8. Loopy says:

I have another one for you too RPS:

“Ghostery.com will blackout on January 18th in Protest of SOPA and PIPA”

Good to see you guys taking a definitive stand though. :)

9. Nemon says:

Then what am I SOPAsed to do?

lasikbear says:

Guess you’ll have to take a PIPAt other websites.

Some_Guy says:

These puns are a bit dark today, there a blackout?

• Fumarole says:

When I think of the government restricting rights in this way I get so scared IP myself a little.

Lamb Chop says:

we can just access the backup copy, right?

• alundra says:

for some kind of reason I never see this kind of threads in other sites…..

;-D

• Skabooga says:

@Alundra: Don’t feel shy, join in and bandwidth us.

• DiamondDog says:

That’s because no other site has readers as SOPA-isticated as us lot.

10. Brun says:

11. tungstenHead says:

I’ve been thinking about this blackout and how it’s intended to be seen as a “dry run” for if SOPA passes. I think that very secretly, SOPA is actually intended as a productivity booster. LESS WASTING TIME ON THE INTERNET, PEONS!

This conjecture is only slightly more preposterous than the idea that SOPA is intended to stop piracy.

12. Swanny says:

Isn’t SOPA Dead?
    I thought Obama said he’d veto it- i’m still in favor or a blackout, though. Even if it just raises awareness and (hopefully) buries PIPA.

EDIT: i was greatly misguided in saying this. Please read below for clarification by others.
    SOPA is only on pause for the moment. Obama never said he’d veto, just that he opposed.

• John Walker says:

Sadly SOPA is in no way dead. It’s shelved, and will be back soon enough. And PIPA is as bad.

• Ergates_Antius says:

• ResonanceCascade says:

Obama never said the V-word. His administration released a vague statement saying they don’t want to sign anything with the potential to limit freedom of speech, but he’s said that about a lot of stuff. Truth is, Obama has only vetoed 2 bills, and I would absolutely amazed if this was his number 3.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

It has been disquieting seeing a range of people suggesting that SOPA is dead, that the Whitehouse definitely will veto PIPA and SOPA and so on.

The corrupt powers that be have only made a small retreat on a small number of the issues at stake. They just playing dead so people stop paying attention and they can do as they like without scrutiny.

The EFF has a good article highlighting the problems that still remain: https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/how-pipa-and-sopa-violate-white-house-principles-supporting-free-speech

• brulleks says:

“It’s dead in the same way that the hideous monster is dead in the movies when it falls to the ground.

It’s lying still long enough to lull the stupid movie heroes into a false sense of victory whilst everyone watching the film is screaming “It’s not dead, shoot it again, shoot it again” at the screen.”

Woah, hang on – you can’t type that here. That’s straight out of a Hollywood script. Are you trying to get us all blacklisted/arrested/executed?

Good for you RPS. I wish I could convince our University website to black out for the day as well, but sadly I suspect the potential loss of student recruitment (yeah, right) would prove to have more sway.

• Tams80 says:

It’s probably doubtful that it will be vetoed unless some in the Obama administration REALLY object to it. Vetoing can be the end of a president’s career, especially if there are a lot of vested interests in the bill being vetoed. Those who passed the bill before the veto would just try their level best to use it against Obama at the elections and if they got in to power just try and pass it through again.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

Vetoes are certainly a big deal but wielding them doesn’t seem to have cost any previous president his job?

• Swanny says:

Ah i see- so they’ll wait for the November elections and see if they can push it then.
      Hell, i can hear almost hear the checks being written to both parties.

Edit- i see that they’re saying that the administration doesn’t support SOPA. They also didn’t support the NDAA, but that got signed.

• Brun says:

@Swanny:

More like they’d pull all of their contributions to vetoing president as retaliation.

• gwathdring says:

Ack. It’s funny that the abbreviation of a routine appropriations measure now has the ability to make me absolutely livid. If no one else does it I’ll have to organize some kind of campus event in relation to the NDAA. Never organized anything remotely like a march before … but things had gone to far the moment we started addressing acts of terrorism as a legally distinct type of crime. This is so far beyond that horrible misstep … and more than that, so much more casually done with such an enormous amount of congressional support and so lacking in transparency (I couldn’t find several of the Senate votes relating to the bill … they were simply listed as unrecorded by unanimous consent; I will assume, then, that I shouldn’t vote for any of the incumbents in my state).

13. ahluka says:

I shall heartily stand by RPS through this endeavour. Well, I’ll sit at home bored because RPS is offline, but I support it.

If SOPA / PIPA go ahead, I’m officially marking the day as “entered dystopian world” on my calendar.

EDIT: Does anyone else get the feeling that something like SOPA will inevitably be pushed through congress (or whatever the hell the phrase is)? It’ll happen with mass rioting, of course, but I have a horrible feeling that one day, it’s _going_ to happen.

Not to sound like a teenage angst machine or anything.

• Brun says:

Should that occur our only hope is that it gets challenged on constitutionality grounds and the courts put an injunction on it (preventing it from being active, pending a judicial ruling). I don’t think that SOPA/PIPA would stand up well in front of the Supreme Court.

• Torgen says:

That would be the same Supreme Court that declared corporations are people, that restricting cash contributions to politicians and their front groups is a violation of freedom of speech, and that corporations have the right to freedom of speech to whatever financial level they wish.

• Fidelicatessen says:

@Brun:

US Supreme Court, for the past 10-15 years (if not more), has been getting stocked with justices who will vote party line instead of their conscience. Keep in mind that Supreme Court justices aren’t elected (they’re appointed by the current president) and they serve for life. It’s highly unlikely that any measure supported by Republicrats will be overturned by the Supreme Court.

Also, big fat kudos to RPS for doing this. I will miss the site, but only for a day.

14. db1331 says:

I thought it wasn’t uncommon for the RPS staff to be blacked out at 9 in the morning.

15. celozzip says:

i’m torn between agreeing with you on this (and all the other blackouts organised) or saying it’s a waste of time as the powers that be don’t give a fuck that any websites are shutting down, especially rps. oh well, see you on thursday then.

• Meat Circus says:

The corruption endemic in US politics that allows things like SOPA and PIPA to gain traction require the cover of darkness.

The corrupt congressmen behind this enormity were hoping and praying that nobody was paying attention.

Well, we’ve gotten the payola-snorting cunts’ attentions. They know they are being watched.

• Brun says:

While I don’t deny that corruption exists in US politics, I think that a significant (if not major) part of SOPA/PIPA relies on the general lack of understanding of the issues they cover amongst congressmen.

Let’s face it, most of Congress is not really qualified to make a decision on these issues. For most of their lives the Internet was nothing more than a curiosity that connected mainframes at college campuses. That’s not their fault, and I don’t really blame them for not understanding it.

• Kamikaze-X says:

I feel that this is totally misguided.

Why black out a site that is, for the majority, atracting a readership who already subscribe to the same ideals against SOPA?

Wikipedia are doing it, and that may be effective in bringing attention to the subject, as people who are not involved in the discussion will be exposed to it.

You are preaching to the choir, and this choir can’t sing loud enough that anyone would listen, anyway.

• Meat Circus says:

Those who are too stupid to spot the rampant corruption amongst their colleagues are, I’m afraid, just as much to blame as those allowing Big Content to buy legislation.

mechtroid says:

Think of it this way: You’re one of the little runner boys for some senator down in DC. When you’re not busy being a gopher to them, you like to blow off steam by playing some TF2. You read RPS regularly, because they had those funny articles about your favorite game all those years ago. Wednesday comes, and before leaving for work, you decide to check RP–What’s this? Some black screen about SOPA? Oh, right. That thing. Now it’s gone too far.

Later in the week, your senator mentions SOPA in passing while talking to you. That fleeting look of disgust across your face speaks volumes to him about your opinion on the subject. And with that look, he’s pushed a little further away from supporting the thing.

• Tams80 says:

The point is that enough user of the sites ‘blacking out’ get annoyed and understand the message that they do something about it, specifically US citizens. Whether those citizens complaining (and in large enough numbers) is enough is a different question.

• Kamikaze-X says:

@ mechtroid

think of it this way:

Senator/person in any position of influence doesn’t give a crap what the guy who shuffles his papers and brings him coffee that is too hot/cold/milky/not enough sugar thinks about anything.

other than whether his tie matches his shirt and suit combo.

• Jesse L says:

@Kamikaze-X

The cry of ‘Lie down and take it’ never won any battles, or defended anyone’s rights. You’re campaigning on behalf of apathy!

• Pointless Puppies says:

Oh, these people in power are giving plenty of fucks over the websites shutting down. This little statement from one MPAA’s minions made it pretty clear they’re feeling threatened right about now:

16. Keroton says:

I don’t really support blackouts that are going to happen tomorrow…instead of showing us how SOPA would really look like, you are showing us how the internet will look like if you don’t pay your bills.

17. frenz0rz says:

Oh cripes, no Wikipedia or RPS for a whole day? If anything else goes offline I might have to go outside. At least I’ll probably end up going to bed about 2 hours earlier.

But honestly, good on you chaps. Fight the good fight and all that.

• Torgen says:

Reddit’s going dark, as is the entire I Can Haz Cheeseburger network.

18. Diogo Ribeiro says:

Like a sir, RPS, like a sir!

Alternatively, while some action is better than none, I do wonder what – if anything – this will help. Congress has been thoroughly described as ignorant of technology, so it’s not hard to imagine those old wheatered lizards not really paying attention if “the series of tubes” blacks out in protest.

• John Walker says:

It’s not about gaining the attention of Congress or the Senate. It’s about gaining the attention of people. Who then go on to shout at Congresspersons and Senators.

• Diogo Ribeiro says:

Fair enough, John, but I still think this may be too positive thinking – as in, I’m sure RPS gents and gentettes will take their thoughts and appeals to Congress or Senate, but something tells me that they aren’t very interested in listening to people in the first place. Government rarely does when it wants to preserve their interests.

Gap Gen says:

Yes, I’m not *entirely* convinced that this will be effective in itself, but I guess a strong signal by the industry in whatever form is needed. As people have said, I suspect America has long supported businesses over individuals, so it’s possible they’ll go through with this even though it’s a poor piece of legislation with no public support, but creating the impression that many in the industry are opposed to it is important.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Solidarity is important to any cause like this. Yeah, a couple sites blacking out won’t bring much attention to the issue. But the cumulative effect of hundreds of smaller websites blacking out in solidarity with the big guys like Wikipedia might.

• Pointless Puppies says:

These protests are about death by a thousand cuts. If as many citizens as possible rally together and pile on top it will make a difference. Congress would never listen to a thousand, ten thousand, or even a hundred thousand people, but if MILLIONS cry out a sustained note of protest and never let up, there will be pressure.

19. Nameless1 says:

You have my mouse!

20. Inigo says:

ROCK PAPER SHOTGUN SHUTS DOWN IN PROTEST
    US CONGRESS: “WHO?”

• Prime says:

That might have been considered humorous if the US congress was the target of this action. They’re not: we are.

• Meat Circus says:

They’re gonna feel the burn over Wikipedia like everyone else.

• Brun says:

Google/YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter are really the only websites with enough weight to reach a very large audience. If any one of those sites blacked out for a day I would have no concerns over the fate of SOPA/PIPA. Unfortunately Twitter has already committed to NOT blacking out and Google probably wants to lay low given their past legal troubles with the content industry and the fact that they’ve been painted as the villain by Big Content (i.e. blacking out could play into the hands of the bill’s supporters).

EDIT: Apparently Google is putting a link on their home page. Not as effective as blacking out but it’s better than nothing.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

“They’re gonna feel the burn over Wikipedia like everyone else.”

This is really very true. The rumblings are congressional staffers use Wikipedia pretty heavily on a day to day basis. The politicians might not know how the internet works but with Wikipedia down they’ll almost certainly feel its’ absence.

• LionsPhil says:

I fail to see how mildly inconveniencing a bunch of British proles is supposed to have any effect on US legislation regarding services they already control.

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

RPS is held in high regard by a considerable number of Americans, including a number of American games developers. RPS blacking out will raise awareness in the US.

21. Hoaxfish says:

A Blackout is a good excuse to stay in bed

22. Prime says:

America, the shining ‘city on the hill’ leading us into our glorious future yet again. *sigh*

The internet in it’s current form is by far the most wonderful invention humanity has ever created. To give corporations any more power over it than they already have would be monstrous. Good on you, RPS. See you Thursday.

• Splynter says:

I find it incredibly frustrating that my citizenship not being American, I have little power to directly affect the actions of an American government that can mess up the internet for the entire world.

• db1331 says:

It’s because we know what’s best for everyone. If we let you lot run things, the entire world would be putting vinegar on their fries, and that is unacceptable.

• Splynter says:

You take that back, you villain you! Vinegar on fries is glorious.

• Bhazor says:

Our electronic old men have made great strides to it.

To be honest I’d say pasteurization or fire were probably more important inventions.

• zomglazerz says:

I find it incredibly frustrating that my citizenship, even though it’s American, I have little power to directly affect the actions of an American government that can mess up the internet for the entire world.

• Splynter says:

Fair enough zomglazerz, but you do have a touch more power than the rest of us, as you have the ability to vote in American elections.

• Prime says:

@Bhazor. That’s why I chose the word ‘wonderful’. There are plenty of more fundamentally important inventions – like indoor plumbing, for instance – but what the internet gives people the power to do is, well, wonderful. :)

LaunchJC says:

What the dickens are fries?

• db1331 says:

Fries are chips. What do you guys call actual CHIPS, by the way?

• Brun says:

I think they call actual chips (like potato chips) “crisps.”

• Tams80 says:

Chips are oblong fried (or baked, or grilled) potatoes.*
      Crisps are flat fried (or then baked) potatoes.*

*need not be potatoes

• Buttless Boy says:

Okay, now explain “pudding”. Sweet food you eat after a meal? That’s pudding. Bag of pig guts? That’s pudding, too!

23. aircool says:

I fully support this gesture.

24. Joseph-Sulphur says:

RPS should also make their opposition to ACTA known, since its basically an international version of SOPA/PIPA.

25. tgoat says:

“From 9am tomorrow morning, Rock, Paper, Shotgun will be blacked out in protest against SOPA and PIPA. The site will be gone, but for a single black page….”

… with a link to the wikipedia article about SOPA. :trollface:

Johnnemann says:

Maybe the loss in ad revenue for the day would be offset if everyone who agreed with this stance became a subscriber! Just sayin’.

• Kodeen says:

Very good idea. I do agree with this action and feel RPS are being honorable in doing so, so I must throw money at them.

• Star Guarded says:

I didn’t even know this was an option, so thank you for pointing it out. I don’t have enough money to subscribe, but I’ll make a small donation since RPS is choosing to do this.

• Torgen says:

Subscription is only $2USD a month. I don’t even notice it, and forget that I’m even doing it unless I noticed the recurring charge while looking for something else.

TheTourist314 says:

Great, now I’m gonna have to do some actual work at work tomorrow.

Bluerps says:

The internet is the most important invention in the history of humanity since the computer. I completely support this.

29. scopie says:

Thank you Thank you Thank you RPS for doing this

30. DigitalSignalX says:

At first they came for the [REDACTED], then they came for the [IP ADDRESS BLOCKED]

ffordesoon says:

APPROVED

sonofsanta says:

I wondered if you’d be going down as well, given your stance so far. Hearty congratulations to you on it.

To all and sundry asking what the point is: it isn’t to make Congress/Senate aware. It’s to make The Public aware so that they complain to Congress/Senate.

33. asshibbitty says:

Cutting off the sopa to spite the pipa I see.

34. Unaco says:

Quick question to John, or someone from the Hivemind: Will it just be the main page that will be going black, or the forums as well? I ask because there is some organisation and communication via the forums for getting Gaming going… FroNapse tournament, BB Leagues, that sort of thing. Should we prepare to lose that line of communication for 24 Hours, or not? It’s only 24 Hours, so not a huge deal, but would be good to know in advance, so I can maybe jot down some details (was planning to make most of my FroNapse challenges for the current season tomorrow evening), or if people have anything really pressing that they’re using the forums/PMs to organise.

35. ReV_VAdAUL says:

Thankyou for doing this. Raising public awareness about this issue is very important.

36. Oneironaut says:

Looks like tomorrow will by my day to clear some of my backlog with the entire internet shutting down. Hopefully Backloggery will still be up.

37. vecordae says:

Good show. I am in 100% support of your decision. When I crack open a bottle of Taddy Porter later today I will raise it in your honor.

38. nrvsNRG says:

“It’ll piss people off when the site’s not working, and maybe some of those people will refuse to come back. I hope not”

why do you think this?
    i would think you would have 100% support(or some indifference).

39. Sirico says:

Most productive day the world will ever know. Good on you guys though

Colthor says:

Jolly good.

This is perhaps the only bit of lawmongering where I’ve not seen anybody come out in favour of it in comment threads and suchlike.

41. Edawan says:

Not quite related, but :
    “the hundreds of thousands of people who visit RPS every day”
    wow really ?!

• jonfitt says:

Yes really.
      I remember when RPS was knee high to a headcrab and everything was very quiet. But I think I heard recently that it is now the biggest PC-centric gaming blog. The lads don’t even bother cashing the ad revenue cheques any more, they just have interns turn them into papier-mache thrones.

42. Drake Sigar says:

The free day off for you is just a nice bonus, I’m sure.

43. evilcid says:

you should’ve shut down the site for one day without notifying the readers with a sign saying “this site has been shut down by SOPA” or something like that, then there would have been a major shitstorm of angry readers, telling people your shutting down for ONE day will only bug those retared people who religiously worship this site and feel the need to visit RPS evey single hour, I don’t think that it will affect as many people as you think, even though it was a really good idea

44. Bhazor says:

Thanks! This will make revising for thursdays Genetics exam much easier.

45. jonfitt says:

A noble act of solidarity. However I would question the rationale being to raise awareness. My guess would be that most people reading this website are familiar with SOPA/PIPA and why they are bad.
    In essence you’re preaching to the choir.
    Wikipedia going down will get attention, I would love for Google to join too. Everyone might as well forget going to work if that were the case!

46. Mitchk says:

Fair play indeed, no doubt I will be extremely bored for the next few days but at least its for a good cause.

It’d be nice to see some other internet giants follow suit. It would probably turn into The End of Days if Facebook went down for a while, but it would attract the attention that this needs to get turned around.

mineshaft says:

Solidarity. See you on the other side.

48. Navagon says:

Good on you, guys. See you on the other side.

Oh yeah, thanks mineshaft for making my comment look so original. :P

felisc says:

in unrelated news, a study conducted on January 18th 2012 shows an increase of productivity at work by 340% for the 17 to 50 years old pc gamers.

50. Thiefsie says:

The logic of many many people being bored without a gaming blog, when given the chance to play said games is rather interesting.

I fully support this stance and SOPA/PIPA can go die in a ditch. Chalk another one up for the anti-American sentiment of controlling the world. The sooner a superpower is dissolved into a wider democracy (at least on global issues) the better off we all are.

Strange thing this democracy, when so many feel so powerless against the choices of a relative few.

• Sian says:

I don’t know about you, but I’d rather not have my boss catch me playing games at work. Reading a blog is more sporadic and easier to hide.

• Fidelicatessen says:

I can read this at work, but I really shouldn’t be playi…

*looks up*