F’ray Few Dollars More: Fray Reaches Alpha

By Adam Smith on February 14th, 2012 at 1:58 pm.

Entire families live in each one of these boots. The rent is astronomical due to recent gentrification of the crotch neighbourhood.

It’s the future and some megabastard corporations are at war with one another, which is hardly surprising, but as this is Fray they’re not scrapping in first-person agent-shooting as some might have you believe. Their respective boards and committees have decided that the best way to keep the shareholders sweet is to go at each other in the hex-divided streets, plotting their moves and murders before seeing how each turn plays out in real time. Sounds like something I should be playing so now that the alpha is available to preorder customers I shall be doing just that. Paying now ($19.99/€17.99/£14.99) over at Desura gives immediate access to the current build. Here’s a trailer.

I’m slightly concerned that each turn has a time limit, not because I think it’s a poor design choice but because I’m the kind of person who panics and starts chewing a bishop if someone approaches my chess table with a timing device of any sort.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Steven Hutton says:

I liked Frozen Synapse a lot, but I think this is the game that I actually wanted all along.

• huw says:

Heh, well said. This game does look fantastic doesn’t it? It’s gone very high up my do-want list thanks to that trailer. I think I’ll buy in as soon as funds allow.

2. deadly.by.design says:

So, turn-based Syndicate Wars 2.0 with hex tile movement? Looks good to me.

Also, that UI is sexxay. I’ll consider the pre-purchase option.

3. Teddy Leach says:

Take note that this is the first alpha and is very feature-light and unpolished, for now.

4. Tuco says:

I’m following this from the start, since I crossed it casually on ModDB.
    I’m so buying the shit out of it.

5. JackDandy says:

I remember seeing that teaser thing for it some time ago. I’m glad it’s progressing well.

6. ZIGS says:

Dat interface

7. Prime says:

Aaarrgmultiplayer. Otherwise, very very tempting. People are just afraid of coding AI now, aren’t they?

8. patofnickof says:

Haaa finally another turnbased game for my brain. Reactivity and speed in actual game leave too many time strategy behind! This one will bring it back to meeeee! Preordered, tryied, fell in love… now wait and help the dev dev….. with constructive destructive comments!

Oh and I’ve heard their WILL be a singlemode later… Alpha… not even Beta be patient killa!!!

Comment on this story