Gabe On ‘Ricochet 2′ Delay. He Doesn’t Mean Ricochet.

By Alec Meer on April 23rd, 2012 at 12:30 pm.

Gordon always looked like a bit of an areshole in that picture, I must admit

The appearance of Valve’s Gabe Newell on the inaugral Seven Day Cooldown podcast seems to have generated all the headlines in the world. Apple’s new boss didn’t really visit Valve, DOTA2 will use a brand new kind of free-to-play and, now, why ‘Ricochet 2′ has been so long coming. There is, I’m afraid, absolutely no way that ‘Ricochet 2′ is a veiled term for another game rather than a sequel to weirdo Tron-like jumpy multiplayer mod Ricochet. And doubly-definitely not a game that might have a ‘Half’ in the title. No sirree.

When Gabe says stuff like “We end up changing our minds as we’re going through and developing stuff, so as we’re thinking through the giant story arc which is Ricochet 2, you might get to a point where you’re saying something is surprising us in a positive way and something is surprising us in a negative way, and, you know, we’d like to be super-transparent about the future of Ricochet 2″ he really, definitely, absolutely, truly means a sequel to Valve’s near-forgotten HL1 mod, and definitely, absolutely, truly not the long and torturous wait for a new HL title.

Newell claims the reason for the five-year silence on the next installment of Gordon’s adventures Ricochet is not aloof dismissal of fans desires, but an earnest fear that “we always have this problem that when we talk about things too far in advance. The problem is, we think that the twists and turns that we’re going through would probably drive people more crazy than just being silent about it, until we can be very crisp about what’s happening next.”

That’s all that’s let slip, aside from that “Everyone who was working on Ricochet 2 continues to work on Ricochet 2.

While this is scant information and even consolation for those who’s been hammering fruitlessly on the doors of Valve’s fortress of silence for a half-decade, it is worth observing it in the light of the employee training manual that also slipped onto the webernets this week. That goes into far more detail about the developer’s profound dedication to doing projects right and based upon the open creative input of everyone involved rather than to meet deadlines, and how that’s a perk of remaining entirely independent and more than a little wealthy.

You can listen to the full Gabe podcast here, and this selection particularly was via Develop.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. The Sombrero Kid says:

This is code for expect Half Life 2 Episode 3 at E3.

2. kyrieee says:

Serves me right for listening to podcasts on a friday night.
    I was like “They’re working on Ricochet 2? Awesome!” hahah

3. Mr. Mister says:

Wasn’t expecting that, I feel like I’m inside an Asimov book.

Ricochet was actually Episode 3.
    Deal with it.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

No, if it was an Asimov book, it would be:

Ricochet is actually Episode 3 SHOCKING TWIST.

ANOTHER SHOCKING TWIST, no, it is not Episode 3, its tf2,

only IT IS EPISODE 3!!!

• Mr. Mister says:

xD completely agreeed.
        Sometimes I wish they made a videogame taking place in the asimovian universe; if done right, would be more interesting and make more sense than Mass Effect.

• Hammurabi says:

Anybody wanna kickstart a game based on the Foundation series?

• Mr. Mister says:

And we knew it from the beggining,
        only WE DIDN’T KNOW WE KEW IT YET.

• Ridnarhtim says:

It’s … Team Ricotress 2, episode 3!

4. Capt. Eduardo del Mango says:

I posted this in the forum thread, but reading that article made me realise that as much as I’d like HL3… I’d actually probably be more excited about Ricochet 2. Did nobody else love it?

• frymaster says:

in the valve employee handbook, there’s an entry in the glossary for the space they’ve left to put the awards for ricochet once the world catches up and realises what a great game it is

5. Tei says:

Yesterday I won in the only ricochet server with people. yay, best ricochet player in the world, me.

6. Spinoza says:

Hey I don’t really care about this guy called Gabe , or the other called Gordon. Either I’m not into deciphering this wall of text or meaning it my entail , no matter how fascinating it maybe for some…
    But this picture… it seem.. so strangely sexy..

7. Okami says:

Am I the only person here who wouldn’t be surprised in the least if Valve were really working on Ricochet 2?

8. lijenstina says:

Hope this doesn’t backfire on them.

Like this bad pun did on my self -esteem.

9. Kemuel says:

…while some of us truly wait for more Ricochet. ;_;

10. buzzmong says:

I too wouldn’t be suprised if Valve were actually working on a real Richochet 2. Just for kicks.

• kastanok says:

All they ever do is just for kicks.

• Jim Dandy says:

The best and most important reason to do anything, I’d posit. If you just wanna make a buck, sell fries made by children.

11. RagingLion says:

I just listened to that Podcast I did’t take it to be a secret allusion to HL(2 Ep:)3 but then I can’t remember that bit on “big narrative arc”. It was boviously tongue in cheek though and I knew a lot of what was being said could apply to HL’s development just as well.

They say they do what they can to please there fans, so as much as the employees have freedom which could lead them away from HL if they think that’s taking them down a cul-de-sac in terms of not having core gameplay that’s interesting any more and able to be innovated on, they very obviously know people are clamouring for it and very probably want to please people by delivering on it.

12. Brun says:

Valve are going to wait until they have access to some truly disruptive technology before releasing HL3. The Half-Life games have always defined or redefined the genre, and I just don’t think they can do that with existing tech. They’re saving HL3 for something really revolutionary, as they should.

13. Snuffy the Evil says:

They haven’t released Ricochet 2 yet because they’re still waiting for the gaming world to catch up with Ricochet 1.

14. SCPete says:

Did nobody spot the t-shirt the guy is wearing on page 22 of the manual then in the top-right frame (Fig. 2-4)?

Looks like a HL3 logo to me, and you know how Valve like to hide things like this.

15. Wara says:

On that same podcast Gabe also didn’t try to doge a question about Origin and ended up making the answer more hilarious.

16. Jimbo says:

“consolation”

I knew it!

17. MythArcana says:

Is this site funded by v@l\/3 or something? It seems 20% of the articles here are about their crappy games/distro system. The game industry encompasses more than sT3@/\/\, folks.

• Brun says:

RPS’s Valve coverage is typically pretty sparse, given that 80% of the articles are either 2D sidescrolling platformer indie games or Kickstarters. They have been in the news over the weekend though, which might explain the sudden slew of Valve articles.

Also, it’s Valve and Steam.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yep, funded by Valve. The only explanation. You got it. Good call. Quite the observation.

Then again, you might conclude that a PC-exclusive website might naturally give a lot of coverage to the largest PC distribution platform, but that would just be silly talk.

• Fumarole says:

Silly talk? You’re addressing someone who typed v@l\/3 and sT3@/\/\. I’d say its their native language.

• PodX140 says:

This man knows his logic.

Seriously, what is with people and phrasing words like that? It sounds like the author must be 12.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Yeah wake up sheeple they’re as bad as Micro$oft and Tony B-liar.

18. TheManfromAntarctica says:

I’m starting to think that Valve won’t go ahead producing HL3 before they’ve made a second sequel to all their previous franchises: Team Fortress 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Portal 2, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (in other words: CS2), now Ricochet 2…. they even procrastinated a little more adding DOTA 2 to the lot! Is Day of Defeat 2 coming next or can we hope they will skip at least that one?

19. Kamen Rider says:

I’m kinda torn here. I kinda hope Ricochet is actually getting a sequel, but at the same time if it does they have a chance of ruining the original feel and charm of the first game. Actually, there is no “chance” that said charm would be ruined, it would be ruined. They can’t just spend five years graphically updating the same game and expect good results.

Regardless of if it’s real or not, I’ll more than likely stick to the original Ricochet. I doubt the fanbase will support Ricochet 2 tourneys like they have Ricochet 1 tourneys anyway. My Ricochet team is good enough to go to the tourneys and sweep house regularly so I’m pretty alright with sticking to the original.

Also, Ricochet is my most played game on Steam. I currently have 104.6 hours clocked with it.

• johntheemo says:

I can’t tell if you’re serious or not. I don’t want you to tell me whether you are or aren’t. The idea of Ricochet tournaments existing is beautiful. It gives me hope. You’ve changed my life today.

20. eclipse mattaru says:

An “areshole” would be like a Martian cave?

21. Tams80 says:

O I do hope he does mean Ricochet, I really do!*

* No, I’m being serious here, I really do.

22. muskieratboi says:

So.. hands up who here honestly, and non-ironically wants Richochet 2 with Tron Legacy styling and hats?

• daede says:

I want it! I even went through the trouble to make this petition:

Make Ricochet 2 happen at http://chn.ge/ISC4oa!

The first and only online-multiplayer-first-person-e-sport-ultra- disc-shooting game. I know we can trust gaben’s words 1 to 1 – so please I know we all want it so bad!

XD – I loved and still love it!