Alive! Bigpoint’s Universal Monsters Is Revealed

By Jim Rossignol on June 13th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

There seems like a good chance this will be terrible.
Of all the things to licence for a MOBA, the classic line-up of Universal Studios’ monsters – Frankenstein’s Monster, Dracula, Wolfman, er “Gill-man” and so on – makes an odd kind of sense. Antiquated but stylish, and yet it also sort of shows how time in move-world stands still. Anyway, the classic scenery-chewers will be the heroes in Bigpoint’s MOBA Universal Monsters Online, which is currently under development and taking beta sign ups now. Like so much coming from studios like Bigpoint, this won’t even required a download – it’s a pure browser game, and free to play, obviously.

, , .

1. Jugulator says:

So far, every BigPoint game was a steaming pile of crappy grinding and reminders that you have to pay in order to win… That was my experience with them, at least, and I really don’t think that with this game, they’re going for something different.

P.S.: Oh, and MMOBomb.com says that “In-game currency can be used to purchase items such as new characters (after a free-trial period), unique character skins, and special abilities.”. I don’t know why but I have a feeling that there will be some sort of “summoner spells” that will allow you to dominate people if you fork-over some cash.

2. jumblesale says:

MONSTROOOOO!!

3. Bhazor says:

No Zaat. No sale.

4. Torgen says:

Now I want to play my friend’s “Creature from the Black Lagoon” pinball machine. This game? Not so much.

• zeroskill says:

Oh man, Creature from the Black Lagoon was man favorite pinball, I’m jelly.

• Torgen says:

He had a LED setup that *really* enhanced the game, wasn’t at all garish like some you see. If you like pinball and classic arcades, and can get to Orlando, FL July 27-29, GameWarp is going on. Last year there were over 140 classic and newest pinball machines and classic arcade games, all on free play. I got to play games that I’ll never be able to own myself. I won’t be able to go this year, as my wife is flying across the country to see her sister, using our compensatory cash to do so.

gamewarp.org

• Arglebargle says:

Fireball!! Best wild old style pinball machine ever. Well, at least my favorite. Spinning disc in the middle of play, and up to three balls going at the same time. If you run across one, definitely try it!

5. misterT0AST says:

After League of Legends we never had any good Moba to play other than carbon copies of Dota (Heroes of Newerth, DotA2).
    So far we’ve only had Avalon Heroes, Realm of the Titans, Rise of Immortals, Demigod and none of them attracts me.
    I’m always happy to see some new game of this kind in development.
    By the way when is goddamn Smite coming out?!?

6. Berzee says:

This is a good idea for a game! (Whether the game itself is good remains to be seen; but these monsters are good monsters for a game).

Fitzmogwai says:

What the hell is a MOBA? Am I just really old and out of the loop? Do I have to hand in my “cool kid” badge and gun?

• ImAUnicorn says:

Its a bullshit genre made by League of Legends to market their DOTA game.

• GamerOS says:

MOBA stands for Multiplayer Online Battle Arena or some such.

lurkalisk says:

It’s the least sensible genre name ever to exist. Hell, CoD is an arena of battle that is usually played online with multiple others.

The best I’ve heard is ARTS, or “Action Real-Time Strategy”, That actually makes some sense to me.

8. InternetBatman says:

I wish they didn’t have a log in. I don’t want to create yet another log in.

9. Warth0g says:

God I hope the game is at least half decent. it’s a brilliant license, the Universal monsters are the most iconic of all time and my absolute favourites. I still watch Frankenstein, Dracula etc all the time. They don’t make movies like that any more…

10. dalin89 says:

I like this game, My Universal Monsters Online video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g4jYdIjjQk