Hero Academy Opening On Steam, August 8th

By Adam Smith on June 29th, 2012 at 6:00 pm.

Meet the Plato

This is the most splendid of news. If you don’t know Hero Academy, it’s a turn-based, two-player tactical game from the chaps behind Orcs Must Die and if you are now wondering why you haven’t heard of it, it’s because it’s an iOS game. Except on August 8th it’ll also be a PC game, as it’s coming to Steam and allowing cross-platform play. Opponents are played asynchronously, so you take your turn, inform your opponent and wait for a response. This means you can play loads of games at the same time and with its chessy appeal, you’ll probably want to. I shall welcome it to my PC with a smile and, oh look, Valve have provided an exclusive team. Trailer below.

It looks like they’re following the iOS route of having every team be purchasable, with new ones added on occasion, because we’re told that buying an expansion will unlock “a unique cosmetic item” in Team Fortress 2. Maybe some kind of belt or trouser.

, , .

1. jplayer01 says:

I’ve been waiting for an Android version for ages. I guess they’ve given up on it? Anyway, a Steam version gets a resounding ‘meh’ from me.

• cbirdsong says:

It’s probably much easier for a Windows/iOS shop to port a game to Windows than it is to get all the necessary expertise and equipment to properly port a game to Android. I imagine a lot of the reasoning in this interview with Days of Wonder, the publishers of Ticket to Ride, applies to Robot Entertainment as well. They just ported Ticket to Ride to Steam before creating an Android version, just like Hero Academy.

This game is a really well balanced turn based strategy game. Don’t overlook it because it came from a phone.

• Teovald says:

It really depends on what you want to do.
        If Unity is adapted to your gameplay/art style, then I think it is definitely the way to go since it will allow you to do Android/iOS/PC. I am listing Android first because you will want to launch on this platform first since the PlayStore will allow you to tweak your game very efficiently with the reports you get from the players & the data you are collecting (like for example if you discover that a lot of people die a dozen of times in level 3, then you know that something is wrong with it).

• Ultra Superior says:

I don’t like the cutesy-zynga-milkyourwallet-wink-wink kind of mobile gaming, but I’ve discovered few titles that I’d really like to see on PC. Radiant Defense, Robotek, Spaced Away… and all the space shooters that have returned to mobiles.

I don’t know why Valve hasn’t got an Appstore for these games already. Waiting for Microsoft Windows 8 Metro to fill that gap? Strange.

2. Njordsk says:

Aren’t Valve known for making loads of pants? Never seen exclusives trousers, liars !

3. abandonhope says:

Looks a bit appy for my tastes, but maybe. I do like this little sub-genre, but a game like, say, Haunts looks to be a little more grown-up and lot easier on the eyes.

Edit: when I say easier on the eyes, I guess I mean visually interesting. The Farmville cartoon look blinds me.

4. Zeewolf says:

The only question that matters with any turn based strategy game is this:

Does it have hot-seat play?

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Not on the iOS version. Also you need to register an account. That will probably put some people off. (Steam version may of course vary)

• Zeewolf says:

Yeah, it does unfortunately. Since I have no interest in playing against people online, a game that only features online play is… well, not something I want to spend money or time on.

It’s sad, because I can’t imagine that there are any technical reasons for it not to support local multiplayer. I mean, I’d obviously want single player too, but I get that writing an AI and missions would be a lot more work. But the lack of offline multiplayer is probably just because it doesn’t fit with their business model.

• drinniol says:

It wouldn’t work as hotseat because you have a hand that you play from, and not knowing what your opponent will play is a big part of the strategy. They’re adding some single player challenges in the current iOS version, too.

• Zeewolf says:

Well, I’ve played plenty of hotseat games where you’re not supposed to see your enemy’s screen/hand/units, et.c.

5. MistyMike says:

Am I expected to play on my PC a game for those phone thingies? I am offended.

Faldrath says:

The alt+text made me giggle :)

7. pakoito says:

I had already talked about this game in the forum. This and summoner wars are games on-par or better than Mojang’s Scrolls that I’d like to play a lot more but couldn’t because iOS.

Well, now I can. I saved 10$ to invest in the F2P features, which doesn’t make me specially happy but still, it’s the entry fee for Summoner Wars too.

• jthmmdom says:

I own the Summoner Wars board game. They ported it to Ios? It seems like nore board games are going this route as of late.

• tangoliber says:

I noticed that this game seems very similar to Scrolls. What is an example of a game like this where the units available aren’t random? I’d like to play something where maybe every unit has a cost, and you can build your side of the board however you choose… with many cheap units or fewer strong units.
      I’d like a good turn-based strategy game, but the random element seems like it make strategy less interesting.

• pakoito says:

Battle for Wesnoth? Card Hunter? I would like one like that too, but I never found one that would fill the gap.

8. Moraven says:

M.A.N. 2 is a great game if you want a less appy asynchronous/Play by Email like turn based game. From WarGaming.Net before they started on their ‘World of action’ games.

Have not played it in years, might just have to get back into it. Easier to manage than the real time of Neptune’s Pride.

9. malkav11 says:

This is one of those games I was quite interested in until I realized there was no singleplayer at all.

• drinniol says:

Maybe you should realize they just added it dude.

• malkav11 says:

Like…yesterday. So I’m not up to the minute on news for a platform I barely game on. -shrug-

10. Enkinan says:

The game I play most on my computer is doing a cross promotion with the game I play the most on my phone? Fan-freaking-tastic.