WOW Loses 1.1m Subs In One Quarter, Blames Diablo

By Adam Smith on August 3rd, 2012 at 11:00 am.

I am going to save the world

World of Warcraft had 10.2 million subscribers in February and now it has 9.1 million. Blizzard have been quick to point out that their ageing behemoth is still the most popular subscription MMO in existence and also to reiterate the cyclical nature of peak subscriptions. They fell before Cataclysm and the fall before Pandaria was expected. It makes sense that people would drop out when they’ve experienced all the content on offer but MMOData.net’s tracking doesn’t show sub levels below 10 million since 2008, at which point growth had been continuous. While subs will most likely recover with the release of the pandas on Sept 25, the returns may continue to diminish. During the earning call there were words about Diablo III as well.

As well as all the pre-expansion blues, Blizzard president Michael Morhaime provided another theory as to why subscription numbers might be suffering: “We’re also seeing that a number of players took a break from WoW to play Diablo III”. There are only two games.

With over 10 million copies of the loot and lag ‘em up sold, it’s almost certain that some people were indeed playing Diablo III instead of renewing their WOW subscription but then some of them were probably buying beer, fancy trousers or illicit substances as well and those things weren’t mentioned. In fact, I’d warrant that out of a million lapsed subscribers a fair few haven’t renewed because, with the economy in bits all over the floor, expendable income has become rarer than a panda with an active libido.

Activision has plenty of expendable income though, posting $1.075 billion in revenue for the quarter.

WOW is still an immensely popular game and it seems only natural for its population to decline as it ages. It’ll be interesting to see how much those numbers actually bounce back with the release of Mists of Pandaria. My feeling is that there’ll be a slight recovery, although not to the heights of a year ago, and then it really will be time for Blizzard to focus their attention on the next big thing.

I’m also keeping an eye on The Secret World and not just because I’m actually playing that one myself. Funcom’s tactic of releasing new content every month, announced as comic book styled issues, not only serves to move the world and story forward, but is also a way of offering subscribers an immediate return for their monthly payments. Whether it’ll work, whether it’ll be enough, that’s for time to tell.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Arglebargle says:

I’d really like to know the spread of those losses. Are their American, European, and Asian losses running in equal percentages, or is there a major drop in a particular area?

• Dowson says:

Other sources have said the biggest decline was in Asia.

• tambjo says:

I highly recommend this product because i have used it and it is displaying TV channels with awesome quality in my PC and laptop and it is also cheap.
      You can get 1000’s of TV Channels on Your PC or laptop for 5$ .Visit satellitetelevisionlive

2. Swabbleflange says:

I think they’ve been hurt by WoW’s ‘always online’ status.

3. Didden says:

It isn’t going to get any better when Guild Wars 2 comes out.

• Jesus_Phish says:

It probably wont get very much worse either. Time and time again MMOs come and take some of WoWs player base away. Time and time again some of those players will stay and others will leave either the game and go back to WoW or find a new game. From what I’ve seen of GW2 it’s not got very much going on in the end game, the same issue as TOR and look how that’s after doing.

• Domino says:

GW1 Still has a active playerbase after 7 years, and I’m sure GW2 will have the same – but again comparing both WoW and Guild Wars is Clementine and Tangerines.

I had played WoW for 6 years on and off and quit one month after Cataclysm because that game just turned into something that wasn’t of any interest to me anymore, Guild Wars has the distinct change of ‘sidekicking’ and level scaling to the area of content that you are in so you can never outgear content while still providing an active playtime. As for the PvP / World vs World it’s not a gear check but very so much so all about player skill while everyone is on a level playing field with gear.

As for SWTOR I really enjoyed it but again plagued with it’s only problems of being so easy to hack, I stopped playing after the first month, heck the game doesn’t (does now?) have any form of anti-cheat detection from what I remember people were using Cheat Engine in the game that even worked, people walking through walls capping objectives before the games even started etc, while not forgetting the terrible customer service that took days to respond with a copy + paste reply for a completely different topic unrelated to what your problem was. The other problem that arose was being unable to do group PvP with more than 25~ people in the same area.

Like everything people are entitled to their own opinion, and there will always be people that believe their own opinion is always the correct one. The whole X vs X arguments will never lead anywhere other than people arguing until the end of time. If everyone liked the same thing in this world then what kind of world would we be living in today.

Anyway as you were, my mid-morning rant over ;)

• psyk says:

“If everyone liked the same thing in this world then what kind of world would we be living in today.”

Depends on what everyone liked. If we all liked peace and kindness it would pretty nice, if we all liked war and being an arsehole then it would suck.

• Grygus says:

Well, that doesn’t make much sense; why would the latter suck? We’d all be getting what we liked. Sounds good.

• psyk says:

HAHA :) tis true

• PopeJamal says:

“Well, that doesn’t make much sense; why would the latter suck?”

It would “suck” because even people who love war don’t enjoy dying. And I’d presume that there’d be much more of that going on.

• Dominic White says:

“From what I’ve seen of GW2 it’s not got very much going on in the end game”

An interesting statement to make when the current beta events have only covered levels 1-30 out of 80. Your clairvoyance is impressive!

• Jesus_Phish says:

This has been said by people who have seen more of GW2 than the public betas have allowed. End game is a huge part of MMORPGs, so not showing much of it or announcing the plans for it seem almost worrying for end game players.

Yes I realize that there are people who like WvsW and PvP, but with WoWs massive subscriber base there’s a lot more people who expect a formula to MMORPGs, the same way there’s a lot of FPS shooters who would flip out when they find no leveling system or unlocks in a new FPS. They might not be right for this, but it’s what they are and there’s many many of them.

• stimpack says:

There are much deeper issues bringing down TOR than end-game. While I would agree with what you’re saying when it comes to most of the other MMORPGs that have been released over the years, I personally think that GW2 will do much better. In my opinion it does have a lot going for it, and I haven’t been able to say that for a while.

• Chris D says:

No end-game? Alas, it seems I shall have to content myself with playing through the main game at least eight times and then make do with unlimited amounts of PvP and world v world content. Curse my impetuous one-time only payment with no subscription fee!

Seriously, though. It seems that you can still do all the things that are traditionally thought of as end-game activities (dungeon raids, huge pvp battles and epic boss fights) in GW2, but you don’t need to wait till you hit max level before you can do this. Surely that’s a good thing?

• Aedrill says:

There is no endgame because GW2 is about something else. But even if we ignore this fact, there’s still something to do after you hit level 80. I’m talking about WvWvW. “But Aedrill, not everyone likes PvP, you know?” I know! That’s why you can go to WvW realm, and do PvE quests that will help your team win the game. It’s a win-win! You can do some “endgame” questing and it will actually matter, you will cooperate with the rest of your server. How cool is that? And, from what I’ve heard, quests in WvW are quite difficult so you will be challenged.

• apocraphyn says:

But there’s tons to do in the ‘endgame’. You can focus on exploration – searching for all the nooks and crannies you’ve missed, completing all the taxing platforming puzzles (which is pretty much all I was doing yesterday, during the stress test), going for 100% completion of all the maps and areas in the game. You can focus on structured PVP, with it’s individual “levelling system” and it’s level playing field. You can focus on World VS World, with it’s oft’ chaotic castle sieges and unending war between three factions. You can focus on completing all the Explorable mode dungeons, which are intentionally tough as nails. You can focus on completing achievements, if that floats your boat. You can max out your professions, hunt for rare items…blah blah.

But, of course, you can do those things (barring some of the dungeons) at any point. Guess that’s what they mean when they say they’ve ‘eliminated the need for an endgame’?

• Spen says:

So you’re saying that for a title other than WoW to succeed in this segment, it’s gotta be like WoW with its endgame hamster wheel? I don’t know, there seems to be many such titles already: AoC, STO, Vanguard, LOTRO, SWTOR, WAR, Rift …

Do we really need another?

• Julio Biason says:

“End game is a huge part of MMORPGs” And so are single-task-quests, time-blocked content (e.g., you can only do this once per day/week/month), out-pacing low level zones and constant progression in gear, none of which are present in GW2.

(I could also add “grind”, but GW2 do have grind, although you can do the content without ever being required to do so.)

I’m not saying that endgame is bad, it just that saying a game needs a specific endgame shouldn’t be the norm.

• Malk_Content says:

Remember if the game doesn’t drastically change into a gear treadmill and make all other content worthless when you hit max level then it has no Endgame. Everyone must have begrudgingly done all of the content up to that point in order to experience the Endgame and can in no way have enjoyed that content or be willing to go back and see how it has changed with the stealth event patches.

• Truga says:

A GW2 dev said that GW2 “end-game” starts at level 1. Now having played the game, I’d say it’s level 2, since tutorial gives you enough exp to level to 2.

• Malk_Content says:

I’d say it is level 11 as going into WvW before that isn’t that smart an idea (just don’t have the skills available, and you wanna buy the trait manual before going in.) Then you truly have access to and are capable of doing the 3 types of content.

Screwie says:

Aside from that, GW2 isn’t a subscription game. It won’t cost any more to play GW2 while maintaining their subscriptions elsewhere so the game probably isn’t going to put a huge dent in WoW’s playerbase.

However, if people do cancel their WoW subs in favour of GW2 it’ll be for more meaningful reasons than their wallet.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

The nice thing about the Guild Wars model (pay once for the game, expansions plus some microtransactions) is that people don’t have to stick to that game longer than they want to.

A subscription really binds people because, well, they’re paying for the time whether they’re playing or not. So choosing to subscribe (again) or stop your subscription seems a much bigger choice. I suspect people consider the expenditure, what playtime they’ll actually get out of it and what they could spend that time on otherwise much more on something they feel they should commit to or, well, at least do something with, in advance. Moreso than just buying a game once, being able to play it at your own leisure.

So GW2 doesn’t have to hurt WoW much (or at all) to be successful. But I’d say that’s more because of Guild Wars 2 than because of WoW.

• Lemming says:

I disagree, but let’s say you’re right and, forgive the cynicism, but given that this is not a subscription MMO why on Earth would NCSoft give a shit if you left because ‘there was no end game’? You bought the game and that’s the most revenue they are likely to see off you in the game’s lifetime.

• Claidheamh says:

Except for expansions.

• Lemming says:

GW1 expansions were stand alone.

And I said ‘likely’ because I was accounting for micro-transactions. Your bread and butter average player, will just be playing the game as is, most likely.

• Claidheamh says:

Of course, but I was just saying that if they really pull you in with a good game, you will be much more likely to buy expansions. Not to speak of microtransactions.

• Aedrill says:

Well, not really. If you like the game, you’re more likely to spend some cash in microtransactions, if only to make your favourite character look cool/funny. Besides, if you have fun and you feel you didn’t waste your money on this game, you will buy expansions. And since this game is an MMO people expect loads of content, so, even without the endgame, they have to provide you with lots of things to do. It may be less than in WoW & Co. but it will be much, much more than in any single player RPG.

PoulWrist says:

lol GW2 :D

• Shooop says:

lol you’re an idiot.

Back to /v/ with your idiocy.

• ImAUnicorn says:

>Getting /v/ out of just that
          >Idiocy
          The ironing.

• Shooop says:

I’ve read his posts on PCG too. He’s a completely worthless poster who fits right in with that lot.

• Phantoon says:

He’d fit in even better on Kotaku.

• derbefrier says:

lol i know right. Its always funny when people say they dont like it. Then get bombarded with fanboys telling them they don’t understand how it works like MMO gameplay is some mystery too us. Its not that complicated guys. Its an MMO with random events, a dodge button, lots of PvP, and no gear grind and a loose role structure in groups.
        I dont think it will be a bad game by any means i just don’t see how people think its going to revolutionize MMOs when its basically the same shit with some minor tweaks here and there. I am keeping my expectations low and waiting for a trial before i commit any time or dollars to this game. I have a feeling once the novelty of some of these features wear off (see rifts random events) the PvE side of the game will feel stagnant and boring . PvP is a different story and may be great but i have never been a huge fan of PvP in MMOs.

• Chris D says:

Perhaps.

But the common misconceptions don’t seem to be due to a lack of familiarity with MMO’s but rather due to people becoming so used to one way of making an MMO it seems to be hard for them to step back and see that there may be other ways of making a game like this that don’t rely on the same principles.

You can see that in this thread. People are concerned that there’s no end game or tanking. but are either of those strictly necessary? I don’t think so.

At this stage it’s too early to say for certain how it will work out but given how there’s been comparatively little innovation in the MMO genre I’m extremely interested to see where they go with this.

And, after playing a little of the beta, the 25th can’t come soon enough.

• caddyB says:

GW2 isn’t as good as everyone thinks it is. You’ll see. Not that it is bad.

• Vorphalack says:

As you seem to be designated speaker for everyone, please tell me how good I think GW2 is. I’d love to know.

• stimpack says:

I think you meant to say “Guild Wars 2 is a lot better than I think it is.”

• fish99 says:

Does it need to be when it has no monthly fee?

To me it doesn’t even need to be as good as WoW, because the reason I never played WoW, or any sub MMO, is I knew I would never put in enough hours to make it worth the sub fee, so for me GW2 is perfect – an MMO with no commitments I can play as little or as much as I choose.

• meatshit says:

No game can live up to its pre-release hype.

• Skhalt says:

Not sure about that. As much as I love GW2, I have the feeling that it is not a game for everyone, especially not for the average WoW crowd.

• vee41 says:

Hearhear. They’ll hit level 80 in 5 days and go ‘Where the hell is my gear grind? No endgame! Boo!”. And I’ll be there on the sidelines, watching, playing DOTA 2.

• TormDK says:

Agreed. GW2 is waaay to hyped currently. It does away with alot of things I like about MMOG’s in the “old” model with roles for instance. (Started with EQ back in ’99)

So while I have made the purchase, I don’t think it’ll be an anything killer for me. I like tanking or healing in MMOG’s, but neither is really found in GW2 as the roles were removed.

It is a decent game, but it’s not the next big thing ™ if you like having a role to fill.

But if you like exploring or PvP then it’s great. I do also like the content downleveler, but I am worried about the lack of meaningful gear upgrades.

• caddyB says:

That’s pretty much what I wanted to say, but didn’t have the intelligence score to do so.

• Claidheamh says:

Well, the thing is, if you like tanking or healing, you can do so with any class. They didn’t remove the roles, they just didn’t make them class-specific.

• briktal says:

Well without taunts/threat boosters and large/direct heals, you can’t really tank/heal all that well.

• Aedrill says:

You can’t really heal. Well, you can, but it’s fairly insignificant. You can support instead, make sure your team mates don’t take too much damage in the first place.

But tanking… Of course you can tank! What do you think Guardian and Warrior are for? It’s called Control, and it plays a little bit differently but the effect is the same – you engage the enemy so that they can’t inflict damage to the rest of your team. It’s less about soaking damage now and more about forcing the enemy to do what you want but it’s not that different from what people know from other MMOs.

• apocraphyn says:

You’re right about the tanking, Aedrill. Any class can do it really, though Warriors and Guardians have more effective tools (and heavy plate) to do so – especially Guardians, what with their Aegis and their bubbles.

Disagree about the healing, though. Truga below was speaking along the right lines – a correctly specced Elementalist or Engineer can heal fairly well. Still not to the standard of a ‘proper’ healer from a game featuring the trinity role set, but to a fairly competent degree.

…then you’ve got the individual heal skills that every class has, stuff like the Ranger’s Elite skill “Spirit of Nature”, that revives, grants constant heals and regeneration to all those that are near it…etc. etc.

• Aedrill says:

Yeah, I forgot about water affinity. But, just as you said, healing in GW2 is not as effective as it is in other MMOs so you can’t focus entirely on that because your team will lose if you do. If you play as Support you need to mix healing, boons and other stuff to be effective. That’s why it’s so different from traditional healing class.

• Claidheamh says:

I was just trying to inform TormDK, because he seemed to have a wrong idea of what they did with the “holy trinity”.

But I think you guys are applying the WoW (in this I include every single game with the usual MMO tank-glass cannon-healbot classes) combat paradigm to a substantially different combat system.

• Truga says:

Actually it’s different. On my elementalist, I can heal people well, and I can tank well. It really depends a lot on the build.

That said, it’s impossible to just stand there and spam heals on the “tank” while they take a beating. Heals are only there for when people make mistakes and take high amounts of damage, and tanks need to avoid damage via actually evading enemy skills, rather than some numbers on their gear. The numbers will help a lot when you do get hit though.

• Barman1942 says:

Actually it’s the next big thing *because* it doesn’t do all those things that MMO’s traditionally do. ANet have said that people who go into it expecting a lot of the things you like in the old model, you probably won’t enjoy it. You seem to imply it needs to have those things to be the “next big thing”, but how does doing the same thing that WoW and every other MMO that’s come along after it count as “the next big thing”?

• Jesus H. Christ says:

“meaningful gear upgrades” that is one of the funniest things I’ve read in a long time.

• Spen says:

GW2 certainly isn’t for everyone, just like every other game out there. What it does offer is a new take on the tired MMO genre. But I guess not everyone likes new.

Foosnark says:

If I had a dollar for every time someone said that MMO X is going to lose a ton of subscribers and go belly-up and regret the error of their money-grubbing capitalist ways when MMO Y is released, and then was proven utterly wrong… I’d have a very large pile of dollars.

• Beelzebud says:

Me either, then every discussion about games won’t involve “Just wait until GW2 comes out!!!”, as if its the second coming of christ.

I’m going to laugh when the people who love a good marketing campaign, above all else it seems, turn on GW2 and pick the next flavor of the month. You know, the same people who kept saying “Just wait until SWTOR comes out, before dumping it after a month.

4. MuscleHorse says:

Not that I’ve ever really been interested in WoW, but I can’t help but feel that the new expansion won’t help matters that much. It looks very naff.

Contrary to that, I’m looking forward to The Secret World’s free weekend starting this evening; first time in a long while that I’ve actually wanted to play a MMO.

PoulWrist says:

You mean online singleplayer?

• Tritagonist says:

I’m not so sure the new expansion will be all that either. I’ve always looked forward to the new expansions but this time I’m just not really interested – and I’m noticing a similar apathy in my (still very active) guild. It’s quite hard to put a finger on why, but perhaps it’s just a normal cycle of things. WoW is looking ever more dated, the mechanics have hardly changed, and they’ve run out of previously established lore and conflicts. It’ll be interesting to see how it develops.

• f1x says:

Well ,the new expansion offers really few interesting stuff

myself, I’ve been buying every expansion with quite some hype, but this one I’ll pass, my personal impressions:
      boring new talent system, pandas, lets face it, are not too exciting as a new race, and they are same for both factions, new continent: well done, but looks dull/uninteresting, pet duels: cba, new class, the monk : dosnt look bad but dosnt have anything really interesting or game changing

overall I think most of the problem is the game is simply extended and more streamlined, there isnt just anything that offers a new experience, while the previous expansions offered “something”

5. pkt-zer0 says:

I think the point was that since they both run on Battle.Net, this is something they can actually track. So it’s only those unaccounted for this way that are off buying beer, not all of them.

6. Matt says:

i actually think that there is some truth in their bizarre-sounding Diablo comment; a lot of WoWs fanbase are pretty devoted to the company brand and won’t outside.

And i think thats why Pandas in the Mist looks so flat to outsiders; its aimed at a userbase who sees WoW as “only” the game they need, so more subgames like the farming and pet balance make sense to that mindset, but its going to make the game more insular and simply slow its decline.

its certainly not going to make me resubscribe.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

WoW was the first MMO for a lot of people.. maybe even the first computer game they played for a longer period of time. That, the amount of users, social ties, attachement to the world, characters, etc. all help retain users.

I wonder to what extent older games (specifically MMOs) which are still being played benefit from a similarly dedicated playerbase.

7. Spinks says:

They’ve lost 2.9m subs since Cataclysm launched, which is about a quarter of the 12m they were posting at the time.

8. Cruyelo says:

I expect them to go back to 10m once Mist releases. They won’t go back to the 12m they had (don’t think they ever will) but WoW is still holding on quite well.

It’s probably gonna be two more years before the game goes under 6m subscribers (which will still be *amazing*, all things considered).

I wonder what will Blizzard do once the game gets down to 2-3m.

Foosnark says:

Continue to milk the cash cow, of course. It’s the only reasonable thing to do.

Gap Gen says:

Blaming the devil for your misfortune is a little old school, but it works.

10. misterT0AST says:

Once again Diablo compared to World of Warcraft by Blizzard themselves.

11. Screamer says:

“10 million sold”

But how many active players? Probably too soon to announce that the game is dead and will be unplayable soon when they switch off the servers.

• Jon Tetrino says:

What the hell are you talking about, son?

• MuscleHorse says:

Except despite the very vocal naysaying found here and elsewhere, DIII is actually a rather fun game beyond the niggles. I’m still playing it off and on with a few friends and I don’t foresee that Blizzard are going to switch the servers off anytime soon. I’m sure they’ll release some sort of download should that ever happen.

• Azradesh says:

It’s not an MMO, who gives a shit about active players? Just like with most games, people played it, finished it and moved on.

• fish99 says:

It’s amazing people still don’t get that. It’s like as soon as Blizz said ‘always online’ people thought they were getting an MMO and not an ARPG.

Let’s look at other ARPGs – Titan Quest – played once, moved on. Bastion – played twice, moved on. Torchlight – played once, moved on. Diablo 1 – played once, moved on. Diablo 2, played twice, moved on. I’ve actually finished Diablo 3 five times and put way more hours into it than any other ARPG, and yet people will still assert it’s failed to achieve some base standard for ARPGs. I’ve easily had my moneys worth.

There’s a guy on twitch who reckons Diablo 3 was the biggest disappointment ever – yet he played the game no less than 430 hours! If it takes that long to realize a game is bad, I dunno, maybe we should just admit we’ve failed and put the giraffes in charge.

/rant

• Ajh says:

I’m not disappointed in diablo 3 on it’s own, but rather as a sequel to diablo 2. I feel it didn’t do that well with that. I’ve honestly been poking around in skyrim again instead. Beat Diablo 3 once..was like meh.

..but rainbows and ponies. I want to buy that t-shirt still.

• Jesus H. Christ says:

I’m sure having played that many hours of a blizzard game, he suffers from permanent brain damage.

• Blackseraph says:

I was under the impression that Blizzard actually cared about that.

• Dark Nexus says:

Anybody who wants a solid multiplayer game? Doesn’t need to be “massive”, just needs to be “multiplayer” – and for all the talk of “online singleplayer” (which is indeed a horrible thing), let’s not forget that a lot of people do play Diablo games in multiplayer.

12. Unaco says:

10 million copies of D3 sold? That’s… That’s… well, that’s pretty impressive. Well done to them. Must have done something right with it, eh, if all those people have voted with their wallets in favour of it.

• caddyB says:

That’ll only happen once. My 20+ realid friend list is pretty much dead when it comes to Diablo3. They can’t sell another 10 million with Diablo 4, or a Diablo 3 expansion after the disappointment.

• Shooop says:

You hilariously overestimate gamers.

Gamers are just looking for the next shiny new toy to pick up. I guarantee Diablo 4 will break sales records and probably have the same problems.

• Jesus H. Christ says:

Nope. It was a lightening strike. 12 years + the ridiculous reputation of D1&2 lead to the massive sales. Nobody is going to be waxing nostalgic in 12 years about d3 and how pioneering and revolutionary it was.

PS even vivendi knows this.

13. Jon Tetrino says:

It was inevitable it’d happen eventually. We’re talking about a universe where almost everything has been seen and explored, every tactic perfected and every build created. There is simply nothing new to keep people coming.

Now I’m not saying the game will die any time soon. Hell, Everquest still has subscribers. But it is, obviously, slowly shrinking, and while expansions add a little bit of life, it won’t be enough to keep it from doing so.

By the time this actually starts affecting Blizzard, though, Titan should be around.

• Fincher says:

I’m certain the whole “endgame content = raiding” paradigm will hopefully come crashing down. Theorycrafting and raiding are quite fundamentally bad, IN MY OPINION, and the key to our MMO hopes and dreams lies in Ultima Online.

14. Maxheadroom says:

I had a good few years with WoW.
    Now though, like a song from the 80’s that I once thought was fantastic but now find find annoying and repetitive, I just wish it would go away.

I watch the dwindling sub figures with the same morbid fascination as the Death Clock.

Otherwise I’m actually a perfectly normal happy-go-lucky guy (Just felt the need to point that out :) )

15. DrOwn says:

I don’t think The Secret World really stands a chance. Just because an MMO isn’t a WoW clone doesn’t make it a good game. And Funcom doesn’t seem to be able to develop any worthwhile games.

16. Demievil says:

Does anyone else share my experience?

Went to go play TOR, thought it was okay but lacked some of the MMO polish of wow… but then when you tried to go back to WOW the experience had been salted and its ugly and terrible now.

17. Calabi says:

I think most wow players are probably afraid to leave it.

• Lemming says:

You probably aren’t far wrong. I’ve known many people who play WoW exclusively. They don’t even consider themselves video game players. Just WoW players.

18. Unaco says:

Another thing just hit me about this… 10 million copies sold of a PC only game.

• EPICTHEFAIL says:

There is still hope for our kind, the master race may yet live! Assuming that Blizzard`s stupid business decisions are as bad as it gets.

• socrate says:

just show that with enough over hyping we can be as stupid as console gamer and make a bad game look good

sadly then you look at the current player in D2 and realize there is more currently playing then in D3

• Gnoupi says:

The Sims would also like a word with you.

• Unaco says:

Why?

• Jon Tetrino says:

Sales of The Sims series in their entirety, with expansions, has sold about 44million copies on PC alone.

Source.

• Dark Nexus says:

As much as I love VG Chartz, their PC sales numbers are…. questionably low. They report 3.13m global sales of Sims 2 for PC, while other sources peg it around 20m. They report D3 as having sold 2.57m copies, not 10m+.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

For all that the supposedly PC-loving commenters here like to hate on Blizzard, Blizzard alone is about half the PC market*.

*excluding the mysterious dark empire of GabeN

19. Shooop says:

They’re blaming this on Diablo 3. So they’re saying the company is cannibalizing itself?

• Moraven says:

They said that 10 months ago at BlizzCon and the reason why they introduced the Annual Pass.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I suspect that’s why Pandaria is so fluffy, to prevent too much overlap with Diablo.

20. Cleeyah says:

2.9 million subs lost since Cataclysm. The game is clearly a failure and dying. Will be going F2P within the next months…

/sarcasm

21. Ajh says:

You know, I’d laugh at this if several of my old raid group weren’t only on my real id as diablo players these days. They’re not gone from wow forever, they’re just SO VERY DONE with dragon soul. I mean, it came out in november and isn’t actually that long. We were clearing normals on the RP server in an hour and fifteen minutes in the spring. Yes, a server with crap all for raid progression was already DONE with dragon soul. We still haven’t had our heroic ragnaros kill on this server (As far as I’ve heard. When I last paid attention this was true.)

So yes, they’re playing Diablo. They’re taking breaks from WoW. Because once again we have nearly a year with crap all to do in WoW and people don’t want to pay to stand around in orgrimmar.

• TheWhippetLord says:

Indeed. Unless Blizzard increase the frequency of updates, WoW’s player numbers are going to continue to go up and down like nobody’s business.

• SkittleDiddler says:

As someone who never played WoW past the free trial, I have no idea what you’re talking about.

• TheWhippetLord says:

WoW-like MMOs release ‘content patches’ every so often so people have something new to do rather than wait for the next expansion. If too many people burn through the new stuff (new raids, dungeons and so on) too soon you end up with people unsubscribing until something new comes in. A lot of players ran through the last raid added very quickly so are getting bored and many players I know haven’t played wow for months, due to the lack of stuff to do that they’ve not done.
      The last content patch was issued at the end of November which many of us wow players think is a bit too long ago.

22. SiHy_ says:

It’s interesting to think what WoW 2 will be like. Well, I guess not as interesting to me as I don’t actually play any MMOs but still, how do you follow up a game that’s been going for nigh on a decade?

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Since it will likely keep going for quite some time still, plenty of time to think about that.

• deke913 says:

They don’t even need Wow 2 for another 10 years ….an HD remake would bring people back by the millions without having to change anything but the graphics.

• socrate says:

they already stated a long time ago that WoW2 wasn’t a option and instead they would make another thing instead

23. Moraven says:

Funcom is not SOE, but SOE had the promise of Monthly content for DCO…

Blizzard goes the path of doing mega content releases and hopes they did enough to keep you interested until the next one.

24. ocelot113 says:

The reason they had spikes in WOW subs is because of Warcraft 3. Wrath of the Lich King was a story that people knew and loved from Warcraft 3. A great story from a Warcraft 4 and an accompanying WOW expansion would increase subs again.

No one gives a crap about the story now. They need another Warcraft 3.

25. Jraptor59 says:

My God, are they that stupid? There hasn’t been any new content on WoW for 6 months. Maybe if they gave players something to do, I don’t know, they might stay subscribed? Blizzard is killing WoW themselves, so obviously I can’t believe they don’t know they are doing it. Lets not mention that the Care Bear XP is the slimmest in WoW history. One new race, the monk class, and one new starting area. No big bosses or story lines, just cute little pandas that have content up to level 20.

• Shooop says:

A Skinner Box isn’t about giving the addicted new things to do, it’s about keeping them pulling the lever.

• afarrell says:

… and the larger-than-WOTLK area for level 85-90, and the 16 raid bosses (and two world bosses) in 5.0?

(and a bunch of other stuff to do while levelling or at top level)

They’ve learned their lesson from Cata, this is quite possibly the biggest expansion yet.

26. goettel says:

What killed WoW for me was that they opted to keep adding on stuff instead of mixing it in: raising the level cap (i.e. pissing on everything you’d accomplished in it up until that point, then doing it again and again) and forcing you to abandon those parts of the world you were most connected to for new zones (i.e. making any emotional attachment to existing zones irrelevant) just took the soul out of it.