Get These: KOTOR 2 And Its Restored Content Mod

By Nathan Grayson on August 24th, 2012 at 8:00 am.

But are you *sure* you're doing the right thing by killing the monster that's attacking you right now, Kreia? Are you? I mean, it's not like I'd know. YOU'RE THE EXPERT.

Vaguely controversial statement time! I far prefer Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2 to KOTOR 1. I mean, BioWare’s original Death Star laser blast into a rather bland Star Wars gaming scene is a classic for a reason, but KOTOR 2 – for all its flaws – showed sparkling glints of actual brilliance. Unfortunately, a lot of people skipped it due to BioWare’s lack of involvement, bugginess, and an ending that sort of, well, didn’t exist. But that was then, and now – as of today – KOTOR 2’s finally on Steam. So I’m going to show you how to turn it into the game it should’ve been all along.

It’s actually really, really easy. Simply go here to download KOTOR 2’s restored content mod [edit – link updated to latest version], which – after three years of painstaking excavation work – is finally complete. Just drop that in KOTOR 2’s Steam App folder and you should be good to go. Among other things, the infamous HK (as in, HK-47, the galaxy’s most lovable human hater) Factory and the story’s intended endings are back in. On top of that, the mod fixes “over 500″ bugs, because Obsidian, basically.

And now, if you need a bit more nudging, I will (without spoilers) put it this way: KOTOR 2 uses KOTOR 1’s formula to deconstruct Star Wars and tell a highly entertaining story in the process. While Star Wars as a whole trends toward sweeping battles between Obvious Good and Even More Obvious Evil, KOTOR 2 paints in impressively subtle shades of gray. It may not sound like much, but just wait until a certain someone questions your every choice all the time forever, regardless of alleged alignment. It’s quite a ride.

So yes, go play it. Otherwise, I will make my most disapproving face at you. It’ll look like this :(

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. John Connor says:

The HK Factory isn’t in it, that’s a separate mod.

• Bobsy says:

Granted it’s been a while since I played the mod, but I think you’re getting mixed up with the Droid Planet, which was more “not made” content than “cut”. The HK factory, if memory serves, is included, but bastard hard because you have to do it with only one character – HK himself.

2. mondomau says:

Very interested in this – didn’t suffer too much from bugs when I played it before, but I definitely felt it was a bit shorter than it should have been.
    Now I face an awkward choice – do I dig out my original retail copy and sit through the hideously long install times, or do I just blow the £6.99 on a Steam copy? Hmmm.

EDIT: Also, is there a decent mod out there to update the textures or anything?

3. Rob Maguire says:

You linked to the 1.6 version of the restoration mod. You probably want 1.8, which just came out a few weeks ago.

4. blayer32 says:

Why isnt there a mac port? WHYYY?? :(

• pmsppinto says:

Not sure if this was ever ported to Mac.. On the other hand, Bioshock 1 and 2 were and they are not in Steam. I get why but I wish Valve would make some effort on adding these (and others!!) to SteamPlay.

• iDragon says:

Sadly this has nothing to do with valve, and everything to do with how the porting contracts are made.

Bioshocks are ported by Feral interactive, and the license they agree for porting is currently incompatible with having the game on steam. Sometimes contracts can be renogiated to allow the game on steam, which Aspyr seems to be willing to accomodate, so many of their ports have now shown up, but I don’t think theres much hope of anything ported by Feral.

I think a large part of the issue is that for the game to appear on mac, you have to get both the pc and mac versions, so the revenue has to be shared between both platforms somehow if they were developed by different companies, and steam doesn’t have a good mechanism for determining which version is primary one for the user, from what I recall of discussion on civ iv.

elderman says:

Happily both Knights of the Old Republic games run well under WINE. I recently played both through on Linux. KoTOR was a little tricky to install because disk swapping was clumsy under WINE. KoTOR II installed without a hitch but crashed a few times, mostly while starting up. I think that’s due to the original game, and not the WINE environment. Both ran more than well enough to be a lot of fun.

• meatshit says:

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but KOTOR 2 was released back before Apple had switched to Intel processors. Porting to the PowerPC architecture was much more difficult, which is why very few people did it back then.

Lars Westergren says:

I’ve thought Kreia is one of the best written characters ever in the history of gaming. Like Planescape’s “What can change the nature of a man?” question, she felt like something that could actually make you think about some more profound issues.

Happily it seems I’m not the only one, latest issue of PC Gamer Sweden had a 4 page article about her.

• Bhazor says:

Hopefully that includes the pull out. Phwoar.

• Askeladd says:

I’d marry her.

• Iliya Moroumetz says:

Agreed to that. Characters with the depth like hers should be the standard, not the exception.

She’s also the reason why I have no inclination to play TOR, because I’ve heard no mention of her, despite the fact she was almost ready to shake the very foundations of the Jedi and Sith orders.

icarussc says:

I agree and I’ll do you one better: I think Kreia is possibly the most interesting character in the whole Star Wars canon. Absolutely she’s the most interesting … uh … person … uh … no spoilers … anyway, you know what I mean.

• Mightyfifi says:

Lars Westergren where can I find said article? I would love to read it.

AmateurScience says:

I heartily endorse this message. Go. Buy. Enjoy.

7. Lydia says:

My biggest problem with the game was the way they made Kreia smarter than the player by only giving the player less intelligent options for answers. That pissed me off to no end. And I always play the intelligent type in an RPG, so the problem wasn’t on my end.

There was also the unbearably bland art direction, especially on that fugliest of planets where the team gets split up. I couldn’t find anything to like about the companions either.

• Askeladd says:

Did you play it at the time it was actually released? It sure changed me.

8. Jason Moyer says:

It’s always amazing to me when I see people (primarily elsewhere, not on RPS) bashing Obsidian, when both times that they’ve done sequels to Bioware games they’ve done things that put the original games to shame.

• DarkQuiGon says:

Chris Avellone should shake your hand

• Luckz says:

How so? NWN2 is so much worse than NWN, which at least was a great framework for mods, while NWN2 expansions mostly add “not quite there” content and the base game somehow features a vastly nerfed engine.

9. GlasWolf says:

Well I think KotOR 1 wiped the floor with 2. The characters and (particularly) locations were far more interesting to me. The great criticism of 2 is that it was rushed and unpolished, but it feels barely even half done to me. The (minor spoiler alert………) Sith academy is probably the most boring bit of gameworld I’ve ever trudged through.

Now it turns out I’m just too dumb to have picked up all the subtlety in the plot. Meh.

• tobecooper says:

Don’t worry, man. Do some crosswords. I hear they help with the dumb.

But really, it seems perfectly understandable where you’re coming from. You cared for the locations and they did a poor job on them. You wanted likable characters and they aren’t a charismatic bunch. I wanted a cooler story and got it. It’s not about who’s better and more intelligent, but pure difference of preference.

• GlasWolf says:

I feel vindicated yet mildly patronised, which I think was exactly what you were going for. Well done you!

• Palehorse says:

I giggled throughout this exchange, so I logged in to say: gol

• Juan Carlo says:

Heh.

Vindicating yet mildly patronizing people is pretty much my default mode.

I’m a magnanimous asshole.

elderman says:

PC graphics improve the locations a lot. I just finished playing through KoTOR II a second time with the restored content mod. The first time was shortly after it came out on a console. I also recently played KoTOR I for the first time.

Warning, spoilers:

With graphics options turned all the the way up, several of the locations in the sequel had a lot more atmosphere than I remember, particularly outdoor environments. Telos felt spooky, with the dead planet behind force fields off in the distance. Dxun felt lush and threatening, whereas I remember it as a poorly disguised set of corridors from before. I’ve also always liked Citadel Station, the Ravager, and Malachor V as locations. Each feels right for the game world and the last two are appropriately epic settings to swing a lightsaber in.

In the first game, Taris, Tatooine, Kashyyyk, and the various ships and stations gave me the greatest feeling of being inside the Star Wars universe. On the other hand, I’m not a fan of Manaan, Korriban from the first game especially, or Rakata Prime. These locations do not surprise or excite me, feel appropriately epic for the setting, or fit the rhythm of the game. And the way Czerka was shoe-horned into the villain’s role in so many locations bothered me.

KoTOR II’s recycling of locations from KoTOR I feels a bit like a short cut. However, as far as locations go, for me the two games come out roughly even.

• GlasWolf says:

I loved Manaan, I even have the wibbly wobbly music playing in my head right now. I did play through 2 quite recently with the restored content mod, and can’t say it really changed my opinion – possibly because I managed to avoid the worst of the bugs first time round too. (Pity about the swoop races though.) Just way too much claustrophobic corridor. Korriban was just ok in 1, but the stories behind the academy and the tombs made it worthwhile.

1 just seemed more… fantastic. As it should be.

I also preferred Fallout 3 to NV, so I guess I’m just beyond hope…

• Jahandar says:

Don’t feel bad, you are not alone. I too preferred Fallout 3.

• Jenks says:

The only thing memorable about KOTOR II was the hilarious final act of the game. Like all Obsidian cash ins, it failed to live up to its predecessor in every way.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I respect your opinion, but you’re wrong. :P

If anything, Obsidian took Bioware’s existing narrative and their collection of fairly standard cliches and transformed them into a game with some actual depth.

• Kuraudo says:

It blows my mind that people like KOTOR2, let alone prefer it to KOTOR 1. Different strokes for different folks I guess, but christ – orders of magnitude.

• HeadlessBrother says:

The dialogue and characterization was better in every way.

KOTOR 2 has some of the best dialogue ever in a video game…..better than anything in KOTOR.

• HeadlessBrother says:

You said that your party members in KOTOR 1 were more interesting.

The thing about KOTOR 2 was that your party members all hated each other and they won’t talk to you until you’ve gained their trust. And if you don’t know how to gain influence with them, then you will never know their backstories.

Because let me tell you, their backstories blow the characters in KOTOR 1 out of the water.

You know that ugly black-ball droid G0T0 that everyone hates? Well, I’m sure no one even tried to talk to him and find out what he’s about.

If you get him to tell your backstory, you will find out that he’s the most interesting character in the game.

He’s actually the reason why the droids attacked you on Peragus, why Telos is the way it is, why Nar Shaada has these weird droids running around, he’s catalyst for almost half the game.

But if you don’t talk to him…….you’ll never know.

His backstory alone is better than any character in KOTOR 1, with the exception of HK-47

10. Roshin says:

I’m sorry, Nathan, but have you *really* gotten this to work?

Telling people to “just drop that in KOTOR 2′s Steam App folder and you should be good to go” seems odd when you’re downloading an .EXE. The mod says it needs to be installed in the KotOR2 directory, but right now it doesn’t seem like this works with the Steam version (see the Steam forums).

If anyone has successfully installed it with the Steam Version of the game, then please tell us how. If it’s working properly, the “launcher picture should have changed, and mention “version 1.8″ in the upper right corner” (from the readme).

• Demiath says:

I’m slightly confused by this as well, but note that it says that the external launcher is changed, i.e. not the game executable or the main menu or anything like that. And at least in my case, the game boots right into the main executable so I don’t even see the launcher and thus can’t use that as verification as suggested by the Readme. While I’ve not been able to find a separate EXE for the launcher, some of the related files are stored in its own subdirectory (or “folder”, for 21th century readers), and they are definitely changed by installing the restoration mod in the KOTOR 2 Steam directory.

(…but yes, merely dropping the mod into the directory as suggested by this article is obviously not enough; it has to be properly installed with the generic Program Files directory replaced by the corresponding Steamapps location etc.).

• Roshin says:

Oh, I see. I didn’t realize the “1.8” text referred only to the launcher. I looked for it when KotOR2 started up. Thanks for clearing that up.

Is there any way to check that the mod is installed properly?

• chaotic_madness says:

A tip someone gave on the steam forums for checking if it’s installed correctly on steam: go to the SWKOTOR2 directory, then launcher, then look at the swlauncher image. If that’s updated as the mod describes then it should be good to go.

• RobinOttens says:

I haven’t tried it myself yet, but steam forums and the rest of the internet tells me it should work fine. The new launcher is the only thing that doesn’t work with the steam version. The rest of the mod should be working fine.

• davidtobin100 says:

I haven’t a clue how to install this. The article is completely vague. Can anyone give an actual step-by-step guide to installing it? I don’t even know where the game or the steam apps folder is on my drive.

BubuIIC says:

Standard Steam directory is “C:\Program Files\Steam” (Or “C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam” I suppose)
        The game is then in “C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\swkotor2″ (The last one is guesswork, I only own kotor 1 on steam. look for kotor2, star wars something or knights of the old repuclic something).
        Then just point the .exe installer to this directory and you should be set. There is no easy way of telling if it worked though, as their modified launcher does not work with the steam version.

• davidtobin100 says:

That worked perfectly! Thanks for the advice. Maybe the article could list this?

11. Xari says:

Is it OK to play this without having played the first or will I be missing too many references and stuff?

• Rob Maguire says:

KOTOR 2 spoils the hell out of the first game. If you aren’t planning on playing KOTOR 1, go ahead. There are optional dialogues with Kreia after the tutorial that explain enough of the backstory that you won’t be completely lost (and you get to choose to a limited extent how the events of the first game unfolded in said tutorial).

BubuIIC says:

I played this one first and really enjoyed it. That said, some things in the story didn’t quite make sense to me. I really don’t know if this was because of not having played the first one or because of missing scripts and the missing ending. (Which should now be a lot better with the TSLRCM)
      I recently played the first one and while a nice game and enjoyable and all it felt a bit uninspired from a character development and moral decision standpoint compared to Kotor 2,

elderman says:

I played KoTOR II many years ago and only just got around to the first game. I actually think the game world is richer in the second for not having played the first, as repeated elements are done better in the sequel. However, if you play KoTOR II without playing the first game you’ll miss out on the thrill of cameo appearances by old friends and enemies, and the impact of seeing the settings changed will be diluted.

I don’t feel I missed out on too much despite playing the games in the wrong order.

BubuIIC says:

Does anyone know, why this came to steam just now and not a few years ago together with Kotor 1? The general consensus appeared to be, that LucasArts wanted to make it go away and never mention it again. But I’m glad it’s there now, One of the best RPGs I’ve ever played and I enjoyed this way more than the first one.

• DarkQuiGon says:

I think that Lucas Arts just pretended that this game was never born.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

I wouldn’t be surprised. In many ways it goes completely against GL’s “vision” of what Star Wars should be about. Which is a good thing and probably explains why I like it more than any of the films.

zapatapon says:

Possibly, after the release of the completed restored content 1.8 and RPS’s (and I suppose other outlets’) enthusiastic coverage, quite a number of interested folks started following the same path I did: frustrated not to find the game for sale on steam (or anywhere), they turned to isohunt. You need only take a look at the RPS comments to witness this. And possibly, someone at Valve pointed to someone at Lucasart that if they seized the moment, there would be some ka-ching to be heard, and this sweet argument overcame Lucasarts’ moral reluctance. I certainly will buy KOTOR2 in the near future, and it looks Iike I’m not alone.

Revisor says:

Please Nathan stop blaming Obsidian for the mess that was originally published as KOTOR 2.

Lucasarts cut the development time to make it for Christmas 2004.

“We were hoping we could bring the Xbox platform into December but didn’t want to make the formal announcement until we knew an earlier ship date would not compromise the quality of The Sith Lords,” says Producer Mike Gallo [of Lucasarts].

Lucasarts didn’t allow Obsidian to release the cut content in a patch.
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=3508 – The thread itself is already deleted

Straight from Chris Avellone:
    “It’s a bug fix patch. We haven’t heard back from LucasArts on doing a content patch. We asked some time ago, but they’ve been busy with the Episode III game, so no surprise there.”

Please stop blaming Obsidian for the quality of KOTOR2. Lucasarts did what it could to thwart the developer.

Tom De Roeck says:

Revisor STOP taking everything so seriously. Obsidian hasnt released a stable release in its life. Youd think that at one point they or their publishers know that QA is an important deal. Its true that theyve had pushed releases for ever now, but after this many games, this many bugs, you can’t put all the blame on the publishers. (and no, I know KOTOR2 was all down to lucasarts, but I was refering to later games they made)

Lars Westergren says:

> Obsidian hasnt released a stable release in its life.

Dungeon Siege 3, when they got to create their own engine instead of learning someone else’s in-house engine in a very short time, was extremely polished and stable. South Park will use it as well.

• Askeladd says:

Interesting, maybe we will someday see something KOTOR-like again from obsidian. They know the flavor, we only need another dish.

• MaXimillion says:

NWN2 was with their own engine as well, and that didn’t help it with the bugginess one bit. While they have been shafted by publishers several times, it’s not like their own quality control is top-notch either.

They do make good games regardless though.

• Yosharian says:

edit: hmm seems I was mistaken.

• Jason Moyer says:

The Electron toolset (in NWN2) was built on the Aurora engine, which has one of the crappiest renderers ever. Anything with high detail in Aurora chugs like crazy, i.e. NWN2 or some areas of The Witcher.

• Ragnar says:

QA, for better or worse, is generally done by the publisher and not the developer.

Obsidian, as the maker of sequels to other studios’ IP, don’t have a lot of leverage with publishers. Remember the whole “We’ll only pay you royalties if Fallout NV gets 85+ on Metacritic” thing with Bethesda? One could argue that it Bethesda had a conflict of interest in regard to QAing the game (though given how buggy Fallout 3 was, it seems they didn’t bother with their own product either).

Dungeon Siege 3 (Square Enix) was very stable, which shows that Obsidian can make a stable game, while Alpha Protocol (Sega) was a buggy mess, which shows that it’s not just a sequel thing. The different variables are engine (in-house developed or 3rd party) and publisher. One would expect that they’d have fewer bugs using an in-house engine, but AP was built on Unreal 3, and I have to figure that’s a pretty stable platform by now. So it’s entirely possible that Square Enix invested the money into QA, while Sega didn’t. I heard that Obsidian wanted to put out a release patch, but Sega told them to hold off and gather more bug fixes, which of course pissed off everyone who tried to play the game on release.

14. Bhazor says:

Going back Kotor 1 has aged horribly, Incredibly linear, with slow pacing, close to no tension, bad combat and a story which is pretty rote apart from the Shamalyan.

Kotor 2 though is still great with memorable characters, constant threats, good pacing and a story that completely blows apart the Star Wars universe. Combat’s still rubbish mind.

• neolith says:

This is interesting.

A lot of time has passed since I played KotOR 1 & 2, but while I am very fond of KotOR 1 because of its story, I remember hating KotOR 2 with a passion. Bugs and crashes aside I recall finding Kreia bland and boring, the story being a chore to go through and one of the endfights freakishly unfair. I also have vaguely bad memories of a blueish planet and a kid and a wookie that somehow were not my cup of tea.

As a lot of people here do seem to have far better experiences than me this raises a few questions for me.
      Did we play the same game?
      Do I remember the right game or did I manage to mix something up?
      Is there something about the game I just didn’t get?
      Should I play KotOR 2 again to see if I might like it better this time?

• USER47 says:

Kid and a wookie were in the first one:).

• CrookedLittleVein says:

And that ” blueish planet” sounds closer to Manaan than anything else. Which was also from the first game.

The only thing I don’t particularly like about Kotor 2 is the slog through Peragus. Though the sense of dread and inevitable doom is palpable.

• neolith says:

Thanks for the infos, guys. :)

I did a little reading and it seems that the chars I remember disliking despite Kreia are Mira and Hanharr. The thing about the kid must have mixed with what I remember from KotOR 1. I still have no idea where my mind dug up the planet.

Sigh… I think I am getting old, not properly remembering stuff from videogames. :\

• HadToLogin says:

You sure it’s Mira and Hanharr, not Mission (which was 14 years old) and Zalbie? Especially since you can only have one of those, depending if you were goodie or badass before entering one door. And that was really great, and really bastardly move on Obsidian part – great, because I can’t recall any other game that have such a major middle-game moment decided by player’s gamestyle – not through one line of dialogue or one bullet – and bastardly, because I had to play as a goodie Jedi for few moments, then I found mod that allowed me one-line-dialogue option to choose which one I wanted now :P

• Sycophanatic says:

should we call you Paleolith then ^.^

• InternetBatman says:

I would recommend playing it with the deleted content mod and the newest version. The real problem is this: it’s like a brilliant book with a quarter to half of the pages ripped out. There were some parts of the dialogue that felt really powerful, but had no preceding dialog to place them in proper context. This problem accelerates as the game reaches it’s ending, which is a problem since the ending has many of the best lines and ideas.

You’re supposed to hate Hanharr. He’s completely evil and lacks any charisma. You’re also supposed to pity him, since the concept of inescapable enslavement is built into his culture.

I played it long after release and noticed almost no bugs if that’s a worry.

• Lemming says:

And yet, when everything is considered that matters (plot, dialogue, RPG system), it’s better than Any of the Mass Effect games. Weird, huh?

Tom De Roeck says:

whats weird about that? Theyre made by two different people(s).

• InternetBatman says:

Who cares whether it’s better or worse than any other game, especially one made by a different company in a different genre? A game should be able to stand on its own merits, and Kotor II has plenty of them.

• Lemming says:

What are you two on about? KOTOR and ME were a) both RPGs and b) both made by Bioware.

I have no idea what you thought I was talking about. o_O

15. andytizer says:

A full guide to getting KOTOR2 to run with restored content, updated higher quality sound, widescreen resolution and other fixes: http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_II_–_The_Sith_Lords

16. Nimic says:

I remember reading at the restoration project forums that the game was now quite a bit harder. Is this the case?

• Wedge says:

That probably depends on how willing you are to go with broken skills. I remember last I played I could just spam high level force lightning to even get through the slog of a final dungeon. And with the right skill/stat layout, you don’t need to be playing a dark side character.

I was happy the game actually let me finish with a neutral aligned character, which seemed impossible in KotoR 1 without just being a herpderp evil mcbadguy for no reason half the time. Lots of the quests in KotoR 2 seemed to let you achieve points in both directions based on multiple decisions you made.

17. TimEatsApples says:

I have to say, I wish the restoration project was more modular. I want the bugfixes and the restored ending, but with a lot of the other content it adds back in it’s quite easy to see why it was cut – it either bogs the game down pointlessly, or adds dialogue that conflicts with the general thrust of the story. I’d like to be able to play the “restored content that was needlessly cut by LucasArts’ deadlines” without having to wade through the “restored content that was cut by Obsidian for eminently sensible reasons”.

That said, the bugfixes alone do make it a necessary download.

equatorian says:

I’ve broken up with a guy because, a few weeks in, he stated that ‘Obsidian are a bunch of hateful, lazy copycats who rides off the popularity of better games and make shitty, buggy sequels that completely ruins the series, e.g. KOTOR2 and New Vegas, and that story about LucasArts being idiots doesn’t count because it’s obvs an Obsidian lie.’

True story.

(No, really, it showed completely incompatible modes of thoughts and preferences between me and guy. Even though the break-up speech had to be one of the most awkward things I’ve had to say up to this point.)

• JonnyKayism says:

Marry me, please?

• baby snot says:

I want to hear the break up speech please.

AndrewC says:

It’s not because he dislikes Obsidian, it’s because he’s a pissily hateful moron. You did the Right Thing! I would not want to share a bed with an internet comments thread either.

I wonder what he thinks of Bioshock and ME3’s ending.

• CrookedLittleVein says:

This is one of the best things I’ve ever heard.

I had a similar incident once, now that I think about it. Though the argument was Fallout 3 vs Fallout NV. It remains a sore point between us to this day.

• NathanH says:

Equatorian is clearly a cRPG romance interest, escaped into the real world. You know, the type you have to religiously parrot back their opinions to them in order to get them into bed.

equatorian says:

Hey, it’s better than having a romantic interest berate and judge you for all the choices you make with games you enjoy.

………..come to think of it, that’s what Morrigan does.

• Grim_22 says:

I always loved it when she did that. Since I mostly play somewhat of a good guy, we ended up arguing all the time. Made the relationship seem so much more real.

Which, in turn, says a lot about my relationships. :(

19. Dozer says:

“KOTOR 2 paints in impressively subtle shades of gray.”

How many shades exactly though? Do we need to drop our copies shamefaced onto Clare Phillipson’s desk so she can burn it for our own safety, and the safety of others?

20. cryocore says:

Why does the article link to the very outdated 1.6 version of the mod. 1.8 the actual final version was released last month

21. Nimic says:

I think the article links to a two year old release.

22. CrookedLittleVein says:

I’m so glad this has finally hit Steam.

I’ll be even gladder when I’m not so broke I can buy it.

;_;

23. tigershuffle says:

My 10yr old son is currently playing this on my old Xbox1 ……he loves it.

I get to hear daily updates about his travels when i get home from work……its rivetting …..honest :s

Pity there isnt any decent modded stuff for that platform aside from ‘workbench’?

24. Lagwolf says:

I tried playing KOTR1 and stopped after 35 minutes (steam says). The combat was so appalling I couldn’t bare to continue… I bought it because some said it was really good…. I was a tad annoyed with my purchase.

25. BigKid66 says:

edit: the below was if using original discs. It appears the Steam version already may be patched and have the HQ music and video files.

Per the restored content mod’s readme (which is not available until after you install it, as best as I can tell), you should apply the official patch before installing the mod. I did not not do this so had to re-install everything.

“1. If you’re using an older version of TSLRCM, it’s strongly advised to re-install before applying 1.8. It’s required if you use the non-mod installer for 1.8 (english version only) or have many mods altering the same files as we do (dialog.tlk, global.jrl) as both your mod and TSLRCM can give unexpected errors otherwise.
    2. After re-installing it’s advised to apply the official patch (1.0b). Non-US versions require you to install 1.0a first, then 1.0b, US versions can install 1.0b right away. Make sure to apply the patch that fits your version. Also after installing 1.8 the official patch can no longer be installed!
    3. If desired, apply the high quality music and/or movie patches
    4. Install 1.8″

Also, there were some official high-quality music and movie patches released after the game was released. You may want to install those also (7 files).

26. Narzhul says:

I didn’t like KOTOR 2. The post-apocalpytic thing would probably be better in a world that’s not Star Wars.
    And I didn’t like any of the characters, nor do I remember anyone other than Kreia.

27. greenbananas says:

Gah, bad reply. Anyways, good game, yes? Better than 1. Much better, in fact.

28. Nimic says:

How do I get this to work then? Do I just point the installert to my KotOR2 folder, and that installs the entire thing? Do I run the standard game .exe, or is there another somewhere?

29. Iskariot says:

ATTENTION!

THE LINK TO THE RESTORED CONTENT MOD IS A VERY, VERY OUTDATED VERSION OF 2 YEARS AGO!

Version 1.8 was released on 24 july 2012.
    Just realized other have noticed this too.

• Jason Moyer says:

If you click on the link and go to ‘downloads’ the only available download is version 1.8.

30. DyingTickles says:

I just bought this off Amazon to replace my lost copy a couple weeks ago after the article about the 1.8 restoration mod. And now it’s on Steam. Time to buy it again! Whoever is in charge of it now needs to know there is a demand for deep, involving games like this.

31. cptgone says:

this article made me add KOTOR2 to my Wishlist. RPS is the bestest!
    (i got the 1st one in a Steam Sale but couldn’t get it working. maybe i should try again…)

32. Sidewinder says:

Does anyone know if they’ve stripped out the SecuRom?

33. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

That wasn’t a vaguely controversial statement at all, Nathan!
    Obsidian fans are the loudest bunch on any kind of game forums.

34. Nix Nada says:

I’ve had this article bookmarked, just waiting for the next Steam sale. And here it is. Ah, lovely…