Fortnite: PC ‘First And Foremost,’ Launching As Beta

By Nathan Grayson on September 4th, 2012 at 10:00 pm.

Generally speaking, Epic’s a company that likes to put its best foot forward. When it debuts a new game or engine, everything’s polished to a gloriously gritty sheen – even if a look behind the curtain tells an entirely different tale. So Fortnite‘s PAX presentation was – for many reasons – a strong reminder that the crayola-colored survivor is Different. It began, for instance, with Tanya Jessen, Cliff Bleszinski, and co running us through very early Unreal Engine 3 prototypes of Fortnite’s combat – complete with desolate checker box backgrounds and near-superheroic levels of Aliasing-O-Vision. But that’s the point: Epic considers its construction-centric opus a “living project,” and it wants fans in on the ground floor.

“Next-gen is here,” Bleszinski began. “Next-gen is a high-end PC. It’s been here for a while. The PC never died. The PC never went away. This game is going to be a PC game first and foremost.”

First up, combat. We were shown a video of one of many potential weapon options: the crossbow. Initially, it fired a normal bolt. Nothing terribly special. Next, though, Epic followed with three concurrent bolts, then an immobilizing lightning trap, and – most impressively – a grappling rope that could bridge vertical gaps and be tip-toed across. In terms of enemies, meanwhile, a ghostly “Troll” took center stage, passing right through defenses and literally stealing the clothes off a character’s back.

Later clips, however, showed off snazzy Pixar-meets-Tim-Burton-style Unreal Engine 4 environments and enemies that were more interested in taking lives than pants. (But maybe they still wanted pants, too. I can’t actually claim to understand their full motivations, as Bleszinski would only note that – despite their zombie-like appearance – so-called “Husks” weren’t born of any sort of infection or undead plague.)

One especially funny clip saw a character named Dennis cackling at a small Husk from behind a wooden plank wall, only for a rotting flesh mountain of a Husk that best resembled one of Left 4 Dead’s Tanks to punch a hole clean through it – and right to Dennis’ unprotected face. The smaller Husk then leaped in, stole Dennis’ hat, and started dancing in a very old-timey cartoon fashion. It was brief, cute, and no one got their entrails neatly minced by a chainsaw gun or anything.

That, too, is a major driving idea behind Fortnite, according to Bleszinski. While showing off concept art of an early, vaguely STALKER-esque take on the world, he explained that those sorts of styles can be very emotionally taxing. In short, bullet-ridden bursts, sure, they’re manageable, but Epic’s hoping players will spend hundreds of hours with Fortnite. Or, as Bleszinski oh-so-eloquently put it: “You want people to go, ‘Oh, that was bright colorful and fun’ – and not, ‘I’m gonna go slit my wrists now.’” He also added that “We don’t want to be in the same space as the awesome Day Z. If you don’t want to be in that space, you stylize. We wanted more slapstick.”

Next up, it was the building system’s turn. In short, each blueprint produces a see-through projection of the structure it’s going to create, and then you can reposition, rotate, and even modify it. For instance, lopping a couple cube-shaped spaces off a square wall produced an arch. Putting a blueprint into action, meanwhile, prompts everything to fly into place in a manner that best resembles Bastion in reverse. It certainly seems more streamlined than, say, Minecraft, but the results – at least, at first glance – look no less impressive.

Well, after some time, anyway. A clip of Fortnite’s progression began with a player constructing a twig hut out of hastily hacked trees on day one. Then night fell, and – with the arrival of Husk after Husk in all their facial-skin-hoodie-clad (seriously) glory – so did the hut. In later days, however, the player upgraded to a log fortress, complete with choke points, railings, and sniper nests. By day 14, the player had crafted a sledgehammer, which they then used to bust down old buildings’ walls and amass a stockpile of bricks and stone. Then the video cut to that night, with the player perched proudly atop a full-blown, multi-story castle replete with what could’ve actually been mistaken for a stairway to heaven.

Admittedly, I imagine Epic dramatized that part a bit to pick up a few extra “oooooos” and “ahhhhs” (an actual in-game day apparently lasts about 24 minutes), but you get the idea. Interestingly, though, Jessen noted that players can – if they so choose – steer clear of combat entirely and only build, or vice versa. She described it as “opt-in combat,” though creation and survival modes apparently aren’t separate. It remains to be seen, however, exactly how Epic will pull that off.

To conclude, the developer once again drove home Fortnite’s “living project” status, explaining that it’ll debut in 2013 as a “quiet” beta in order to engage the community and see what they like. Then it’ll build onward and outward from there. That said, the blueprint for Fortnite’s release isn’t entirely set in stone. Characters, for instance, will be persistent, but Epic’s not sure about entire worlds and the servers they’ll inhabit. The developer’s definitely trying to figure something out, though. “I wanna build my cool fort and at least hang onto it for a little bit,” said Bleszinski. On the subject of mods, meanwhile, Jessen noted that “We honestly don’t know yet. [Mods] are something we’d like to have, though.”

So we don’t have all the answers, and other questions – like that of single-player and whether or not it will exist at all – still hang over the project’s head, but I’d be remiss if I said Fortnite wasn’t looking impressive. There’s obviously a whole lot of game here, but Epic’s trademark penchant for making the little things feel good seems primed to shine through via the chunky, loot-driven metagame of knocking down trees, buildings, and even things like fire hydrants (which become jump pads!), and some impressively versatile combat. Fortnite’s ambitious, open, and still very much in flux, but I’m looking forward to seeing where it goes.

, , , , .

1. Steven Hutton says:

Wow, ok, I didn’t think I’d ever get this excited about an Epic game. That seems like tremendous fun already.

2. GetUpKidAK says:

It’s quite nice to hear that Epic are approaching this quite openly.

3. WMain00 says:

I’m somewhat bemused by the sudden change of tune Cliff and Epic are taking now that the PC is leading the industry again. I can’t say I’m particularly pleased by it; it shows hypocrisy and immaturity. It also makes me very reluctant to support epic’s products. How far away will it be before Epic once again reverts its comments back to a “the pc is dead, dead!” mantra?

• TCM says:

Immaturity would be shown only by sticking to an untenable position unsupported by reality — see Ubisoft’s stance on DRM.

Hypocrisy is only shown if you don’t have significant time to change your stances or views before saying something entirely different to try and curry favor with a different audience.

This is neither.

• subedii says:

I don’t recall “significant time” being a factor. They issued quite a few statements over the years about how bad PC gaming was. It’s not surprising people remember, especially because around that time basically every website was spinning articles about the “death of PC gaming” in this new magnificent console age.

This is after lauding it repeatedly when they were launching UT3. Which flopped terribly for a number of reason, at which point they basically blamed the whole thing on the PC-side audience on three or four separate occasions. And then they launched it console-side. It still flopped, then they just stopped talking about UT3 altogether for some reason, can’t quite imagine why.

The key point being, if this flops, would anyone be terribly surprised to see a repeat performance? That’s the real test of “hypocrisy”, if we’re seriously going to go there. At least that’s what I’m reading from WMain00′s comments. And I don’t believe even you would go as far as to say that it would be some kind of unthinkable (perish the very thought!) response from Epic or something, particularly given previous history.

Still, I doubt it’ll flop, so I guess it’s moot in the end. But yes, Epic’s constant remarks now about how “the PC never went away for us!” are just flat out lies, I will happily say that with basically no hesitation. If they’re back, fine, whatever, but let’s not pretend otherwise.

• Sheng-ji says:

People are allowed to change their minds. I’m not talking about Cliffy B here, as everthing that man says in public is carefully designed to sell as many epic games as possible, or schmooze the investors, but in general people change their minds all the time. This is not what makes someone a hypocrite, hell, I disagree with stuff I said yesterday after I was proven wrong!

• kanali654 says:

Super Hot! Come to China Tablet PC!Super cheap!Very practical!Cheap Andr oid 4.0 Tablet PC!A minimum of $ 60! Not to be missed! http://Gaoji.us/vy

• subedii says:

Not really, they have never said anything about “changing their minds” with regards to the platform. They are flat out saying now they’ve always been these great supporters of the platform. Which is quite simply untrue, and yes, if we’re genuinely going to go there, actually is hypocritical to then make their current and completely opposite statements in order to support the release of their new title.

If they actually said “well now well feel different”, then at least it wouldn’t be a lie, maybe, but that’s not what they’re saying.

So gee, I dunno, ultimately they can say whatever they flipping well want, that’s always been their prerogative. But I’m not going to pretend that the two sets of opposite statements are something they need to be defended on. So if the daft attitude and surly statements they always adopted before now have resulted in the same coming right back at them, I’m just going to think it’s amusing to try and cry foul now. They aren’t children, and it’s not the fans fault that Epic constantly chose to make those statements. They did that all on their own.

Stellar Duck says:

I would agree if they had changed their mind and said so.

They haven’t. They’re pretending they always had the current stance which flies against the tweets by CliffyB and other statements made. That’s not changing ones mind. That’s just being dishonest and silly.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

You’re not sure why PC gamers are mad at Epic? Here, let me remind you of the sort of things they have been saying for years.

“BULLETSTORM DEMO COMING TO 360/PS3 JANUARY 25th. In other news, PC gamers are grumpy about this.”

That’s a direct tweet from CliffyB, guy in charge of selling me PC games.

EPIC GAMES IS ONLY INTERESTED IN ME INSOFAR AS I CAN GIVE THEM MONEY. In other news, they can go to hell. Not sure why I would bother to support Epic when there are plenty of PC gaming companies out there (Valve, Mojang, CD Projekt, Bohemia, the list goes on) who like my money, and are willing to respect me as more than a walking wallet.

• TCM says:

So you hold a personal grudge for things said over a year ago on Cliffy’s twitter account, and thus feel that, regardless of the quality of their games or the potential turnabout of their opinion, Epic games are not worth supporting ever.

Makes sense to me, but then, I don’t have a brain stem.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

You say “Over a year ago” as though it were a long time.

I do feel that Epic are less worthy of my support because of their comments and behaviour, yes. I don’t see what’s so odd about choosing to not support a company that has decided the people to whom they market are not worth their time until they need our money again. You’re saying that I should just go ahead and forgive them now that they have changed their minds, but sort of what we are implying here is that they only changed their minds once it became profitable for them to do so, and that this is perhaps just a cynical ploy to make some quick cash. Based on their track record, I would be not at all surprised if as soon as their first PS4/XB720 game is released we start hearing “All PC gamers are pirates.” etc etc again.

• PopeJamal says:

I hold a personal grudge against people who take me for granted and treat me like shit. Both of these apply to Epic.

If you want to bat your eyelashes and pucker up anytime someone so much as throws a screenshot your way, feel free. I’ll be over here in the corenr with the other elephants telling Epic to go fellate themselves.

• MarigoldFleur says:

The PC is not “leading the industry again” and it’s pretty rash to say that considering the breakdown of game sales across all platforms when it comes to multiple platform releases.

• HisMastersVoice says:

Last time I checked the PC market was the biggest and fastest growing game software market. Not to mention the most innovative. I’d say that counts as “leading the industry” even if people higher up aren’t willing to admit it.

• MarigoldFleur says:

When and where did you check? Because there are a few things you’re missing here, like the fact that console software sales on cross-platform releases still dramatically outperform PC sales, the fact that we’re very much on the cusp of a new console generation, and the innovation thing is almost impossible to quantify. You kinda need to back up your claims here.

• MarigoldFleur says:

So I went ahead and checked and, sure enough, somebody did say that about the PC market. However, as always, context is terribly, terribly important. It’s the fastest growing market in terms of the free-to-play/microtransaction market and there are no actual numbers backing up the statement, which came from an EA CEO. This is the same thing we saw in the mobile market a few years ago before they reached their current saturation point.

• HisMastersVoice says:

Growth data is actually easy to find – 15% between 2010 ans 2011 for the PC, compared to an overall 2% decline in general video game sales. Market value is harder since there seems to be no real aggregated data for console software sales and most reports do not take Steam into account.

• Buemba says:

“Last time I checked the PC market was the biggest and fastest growing game software market.”

Surely that must be IOS by now?

• HisMastersVoice says:

Dunno about growth metrics, but in terms of sales, Android and iOS games accounted for about 8-10% of total revenue in 2011, though that appears to be just unit sales, not further monetization.

4. Paul says:

Finally something creative from Epic! First game I am looking forward to by Epic since…UT 1.

5. Laffles says:

‘PC GAMING IS DEAD!’….

‘loljk guys we want some of dat tf2 pie is that cool with you guys?’

• TCM says:

Because people can never change their opinions ever for legitimate reasons.

Also this looks nothing like tf2, in any way whatsoever. Did you base your opinion entirely on the opening screenshot, or did you actually read the article before providing your ‘insightful’ commentary?

• Laffles says:

Yeah man, Epic totally haven’t back peddled here at all. Get real dude. Tim Sweeny said stuff like ‘Consoles are leaving Pc’s behind’ (What?) and that ‘the PC is not suited for a gaming platform’, publicly… It was his own retarded way of justifying to the PC community they they don’t want to waste manpower/money on staying loyal to PC consumers. A total dick move considering PC gamers are what made them a successful company in the first place.

They have clearly changed their tune here and it’s not because they ‘changed their opinions for legitimate reasons’(realllly?) It’s because they want more money. They are not doing you a favour here. They are hypocritical and slimy.

• TCM says:

Because that isn’t bitterness over years old statements that should be forgotten as soon as they have decided to bring out something legitimately interesting and unique as an apology, no sir. This is incredibly serious gaming topics. Hail the PC master race, down with all the drooling console monkeys. God save you if you are actually capable of letting a company change its stances, you are just forgetting all the evil crimes they have committed.

• Laffles says:

TMC confirmed for either mindless Epic fanboy, Epic CEO or head of Epic PR

• TCM says:

At least have the decency to double check that you spelled my name right when demonizing me like that. Man, you’re a disgrace to the PC Elite.

I also like that the best counterpoint you can think of for my statements is ‘EPIC FANBOY’, it says a lot about your mentality towards things like this.

• Laffles says:

the fact you keep going on after I’ve explained my opinion and that you’ve replied to every single negative comment on this article. ‘Fanboy’ or someone personally involved with EPIC is a pretty obvious choice really isn’t it.

• TCM says:

The problem is that your opinion is borne of bitterness, and I was not aware that disagreeing with a malformed opinion was grounds for attacking your opponent in a debate about the merits or lack thereof of a particular product, service, or company.

• dE says:

Drop bait, wait, flame away.
            Although I never quite got the fun in bomb-running discussions like this.

• theleif says:

@Laffles
            Or maybe he’s just ok with the fact Epic seems to have changed it’s view on the PC as a viable platform. Sure, there have been some dickish comments in the past from the devs, but they seem serious about this game. That’s frankly all I care about. They might give up on the PC after this game again, but so what? It’s not like we don’t have an abundance of great developers making great games for the PC right now. The PC has far more exclusive (and great) titles and developers than any console. That makes me a happy puppy.

• RegisteredUser says:

People are allowed to change their opinion just as much as we are entitled to sticking with ours if we’ve realized that someone is an opportunistic douchebag, only out for money and saying whatever is convenient for them at the current point in time.

If those are the relationships you enjoy and wish to support, feel free, just don’t expect everyone to.

6. Beelzebud says:

They think they can use us as ATMs so now PC gaming isn’t dead anymore.

• TCM says:

The desire for profit has no basis in morality, and your romantic notion that it does is quaint.

AlwaysRight says:

Are you on a mission to reply to every comment?

• Beelzebud says:

If you don’t get paid to do this, I feel sorry for you.

• TCM says:

The only way I can eke any amusement out of my day is posting on comment threads for gaming news.

• Kucd says:

Even if he does get paid for it, I still feel sorry for him.

• RegisteredUser says:

“The desire for profit has no basis in morality”

Someone has to seriously catch up on their reading(I recommend “The protestant ethic” by Weber, just randomly).

7. Net_Bastard says:

If this is F2P then you can just forget it.

• subedii says:

Don’t be daft.

Facebook and F2P. IIRC Mike Capps said that was the only really feasible business model PC-side. :P

Jokes aside, I’m almost certain this is going to be F2P.

• Victuz says:

Wait a minute… what leads you to believe that it’s going to be F2P? So far most if not all the games in that, err… “sandboxy, freeform, constructy-thing” (seriously somebody figure out a name for the bloody thing) genre have depended on purchase payment. This makes sense because monetizing this kind of a game via F2P means is:

1. Hard. What I mean by that is, if it’s like say Minecraft where you build stuff, and than defend it, or just build for the sake of building, and don’t really do anything else. How do you monetize this? Item boosters that drop 2 bricks instead of 1? The only thing I can think of are skins but honestly if the game is going to be modable than any halfwit could google “changing skins in fortnite” and I’m sure he’ll get a premade tool that does it for him.

2. Under high risk of scrutiny. Gamers are often very, difficult to work with. They get used to things and despite what they might often say most of them REALLY don’t like changes. If the game is what it looks like and Epic decides that they want to monetize it via the “boosters” I mentioned, than I’m more than certain people are going to bitch about it, and worst of all bitch about it with their wallets which is much easier in the case of a F2P game that you can play as much as you want and than just ditch when it starts demanding investment.

I do hope that people realize that while everyone nowadays seems to prize the F2P model as the ultimate solution to everything. It really isn’t, it has it’s limitations, it has it’s problems and more often than not adding it into your game forces mechanic and gameplay changes on a deeper level than could be expected and splits the community in one way or another. (like the MMO’s where raids/dungeons have to be purchased)

8. Davie says:

God damn it, all you bastard commenters do is complain. This looks like a genuinely interesting project from a company that’s had its low points in the bro-shooter area, but has done plenty of excellent games as well. It could be something fresh and innovative, or at least a fun diversion in the Minecraft vein, and all I see here is “Waaaugh, they said mean things about my platform of choice years ago and there is no possible way they might have changed their minds about that! Greed and hypocrisy!”

It’s a shame to see RPS’s wonderful games journalism wasted on such an entitled, joyless, pessimistic and petty reader base.

• Kucd says:

Entitled. There’s that word again.

• MarigoldFleur says:

It’s being properly applied here considering the context.

• mrmalodor says:

I think that as a consumer I am entitled to a quality product. Don’t you?

lurkalisk says:

No. Providing a quality product is certainly what I’d like people to do, but you’re not entitled to a damn thing.

See, this is why you see that word so much, because so many think the world owes them something.
        I’m not advocating social Darwinism or some such nonsense, I’m just saying that a quality product comes about because of a quality developer that wants to do right by their customers, not because you deserve it as a member of the glorious order of the Consumers.

• subedii says:

His statement pretty evidently means that if he’s paying for a product he should expect a quality product for his payment. And it’s a stance I personally would agree with.

He is not stating that he is “owed” any quality of product, good or bad, for free (which is the only reasonable manner in which I can understand the nature of your response. If otherwise, then feel free to correct).

And before anything else follows, neither of the two above paragraphs is a statement on the final overall quality of the product, good or bad.

lurkalisk says:

He should get a quality product for his money, but he is not entitled to one. He’s merely entitled to a product. That’s what I’m saying.

• mrmalodor says:

I see. Then don’t complain next time you find a piece of rat in the expensive crab soup you ordered. After all, you’re not entitled to a DAMN THING. You got your product, it’s a soup with some crab in it, now pay and shut the fuck up.

• Kucd says:

Well lurkalisk, you’re all that’s wrong with modern corporations and stupid consumers that don’t stand up for their legal rights of consumer protection.

You can either be stupid or actually stand for your right to a quality product. And yes, it is a right despite what the “entitled-spewing” crowd loved to blabber about.

• TCM says:

What makes a game a quality product is subjective.

You are entitled to a well made meal that is up to standards of hygiene when you pay for it, you are not entitled to a well written book when you pay for it. You are entitled to quality service when you pay for home cleaning or lawn mowing, you are not entitled to something you will enjoy when you buy a movie ticket or a piece of art.

I would never accuse somebody of being entitled if they complained that a game was horrifically buggy, or had an unplayable framerate. But I will sure as frig accuse them of being entitled if they feel that the experience should be tuned to their personal standard of quality.

Harlander says:

Shouldn’t you be accusing people of being self-entitled?

Otherwise, you’ll be walking down the street and going “You there! You’re legally required to be paid no less than £6.08 an hour! Confess!

Stellar Duck says:

You’re right that I/we are not entitled to much. However Epic MegaGames are not entitled to my money either so I’ll keep not buying their games until such time they cater to me.

I’m not entitled to them doing that but I’m sure not buying stuff I don’t want. It’s fairly basic.

• subedii says:

True, I’d say it has its influences gained more from Minecraft.

Not that this is a bad thing, but they have a ridiculously hard time even admitting that it might have had a smidgen of influence on their product.

Could it be good? Who knows. Nobody’s seen much in the actual way of gameplay. What everyone here has seen is previous history, so I can’t really be surprised at the response. And let’s be honest, if the fans here are ‘bitter’ or ‘childish’ about Epic, I will flatly say that Epic’s constant comments over the years have been nothing less than the same.

Or at least, I originally wouldn’t have said that if they’d actually stuck to their guns on the matter. I could at least respect that CliffyB and Mike Capps had a strong viewpoint on how the platform had failed. But then to go and do a complete 180 and pretend otherwise? Yeah, that’s just dumb.

All in all? Bitterness begat bitterness. Not hugely shocking. I mean if Ubisoft frequently talks about how awesome they believe the PC platform is as well, but it’s not like responses to those statements are a-typical either.

Leaving all that aside though, attitudes to the game itself are all tempered by something that most people here suspect pretty strongly (largely because Epic have been hinting around it for a while now): That it’s likely to be always-online, and probably F2P. Which just makes things harder for it in terms of audience perception, because if nothing else we’ve all seen just how badly that model can get screwed up.

• njursten says:

I guess a lot of the commenters are a bit butthurt and exaggerate with the “they’re only greedy”. But Epic deserves a bit of flack. If they hadn’t gone all out with the “PC gaming is dead”, people would’ve complained far less now. Not very gracious to pretend you’ve always been rooting for the PC. Maybe they have, but they just seem populistic with how they switch between extremes.

The game sounds interesting! I’m hoping for less action and more of a survival game though.

• RegisteredUser says:

“entitled, joyless, pessimistic and petty reader base”

Unlike your confrontational, in your own way elitist self-righteousness(clearly having the one and ideal notion of how people should respond to whatever they encounter in mind while writing)?

Ironically enough, you fit into “our” crowd perfectly just like you are appearing to the world right now.

(Btw we’d be less pessimistic if constant fears of being second class gaming consumers weren’t also always confirmed with bad ports, terrifyingly intrusive / backdoorable DRM, delayed release dates and piecemeal DLC. But good to see you pretend like we are it out of spite instead of good reason, makes it all the more charming when it happens once more with the next title..)

9. KaMy says:

I can’t stand CliffyB and all his idotics remarks about the PC after spitting on it a few years back (mostly about users and how they always whine and hack, damn it was original and ballzy instead of just saying thaty they preffered the consoles for the easy and large market of consoles) or Epic involvement and abandonment in the PC league wich name i can’t remember but damn it looks cool and i want to play it. But i still hold a grudge against those guys so it’s kind of a pain to choose either to play it or just raise my finger to them.

liquidsoap89 says:

Initially I was under the assumption that the images Epic was showing were just concept art. But with every article I read I see new images, and I’m starting to think that they’re actually in game (or at least in engine).

That’s pretty crazy if so.

11. Danorz says:

you weaselly little git, cliffyb. you’ve been jumping up and down hooting and hollering about the death of the PC for years you enormous tool.

12. Buemba says:

The game seems interesting, but I’m more curious about the UE4 tech that’s powering it. Hopefully it still allows for easy access to the game’s config through .ini files since some developers still can’t be arsed to add something as simple as “turn v-sync on/off” to the options menu.

13. Shodex says:

First and Fortmost. That is all.

14. Thiefsie says:

Hey CliffyB – Don’t be surprised if very few people on PC who have been around the scene for longer than 3 years don’t give a shit and therefore don’t play this game.

Cheers.

15. Tei says:

So is Orcs Must Die 3: Minecraft. Nice.

16. Azune says:

Liking the art style i’ll most definitely try it.

17. Muzman says:

Epic are kind of fair weather PC friends it seems. The game sounds cool though.
    I’ve always liked that ‘I am Legend’ kind of “during the day, prepare for the night” type scenario.
    A lot of games have sort of done it, like Minecraft, but having it as a central focus could be rather neat.

18. Milky1985 says:

Sorry epic, but I just can’t accept your change from bitching about PC users and taking the piss with comments like the ones about the bulletstorm demo, to “PC is the best”.

Just because your new engine has sod all chance of running on the current gen consoles doesn’t mean I will accept yo back to the PC gaming fold with open arms, you are gonig to have to earn the respect back, and its gonna take a while.

19. SelfEsteemFund says:

Is swearing no longer allowed in the comments? But it’s still fine in the articles right?

edit: Apparently so, well that’s not stupid at all. RPS morphing into Kotaku perhaps?

• SelfEsteemFund says:

Hey cliff & the rest of epic! Just wanted to say in the unlikely event that you’re reading this that we’re sorry but no we haven’t forgiven you for destroying unreal tournament, dumping on/neglecting the PC & all that other nonsense you’ve put us through over the years.

Also this game just looks like a poor smattering of established PC titles (great innovation there) & the only reason it’s coming to PC is because your awfully unoptimised engine can’t run on the consoles. Yes I am bitter actually but don’t forget you’re complete [that c word], have a great day! :D

20. Shralla says:

Why the fuck am I supposed to believe CliffyB who has been doing nothing but sucking console cock for the last five years?