Boss Wave: Defender’s Quest Gold, Steam Release

By Andrew Smee on September 10th, 2012 at 12:00 pm.

Oh no! The zombies are coming in easily defineable channels of right-angled marching!

It’s time for my regularly scheduled Defender’s Quest plug: Defender’s Quest is a disarmingly low-fi tower defense/rpg hybrid adventure released last year which immediately excelled due to its easy charm and unending efforts to make the player happy. Speaking of, the previously announced free-for-existing-customers Gold Edition has just released, and boy oh boy is it a doozy. The chaps at Fortress of Doors just love to spoil their fans, and if you haven’t yet tried it, now’s the perfect time because it’s just become bigger and better than ever.

The actual game has remained as accessible and worryingly moresome as ever, with just a few tweaks to make it even more entertaining. As a quick introduction, you lead a merry band of adventurers on a surprisingly interesting story-driven quest across a diseased and cursed land, fighting the enemy through your magical ability to Tower Defense (each character in the group representing a tower) while leveling up your party in an RPG metagame, replete with divergent skill trees and item equipping, all hung around an eminently customisable experience that you can tailor to your own petty whims and thoughts on difficulty.

It’s fantastic, is what I’m saying, and it remains the best Tower Defense game I’ve played. Have a gander at mine and Adam’s thoughts of the previous edition for a better idea, but be quick about it! The new stuff is coming thick and fast like a late-game horde:

New Game+ mode!
7 new sidequests!
Lots of new cutscenes! (for the sidequests)
8 bonus battles!
8 magic books for Azra!
Unique item upgrades, with special powers!
Re-balanced spells that grow with Azra’s level!
Advanced targeting logic for defenders!
New enemy types!
New bosses!
Mod support!
Tons of bugfixes!
Tons of balance tweaks!
Preview enemy stats before battle!
Detailed enemy and status effect info in battle!

There’s a detailed explanation of all the new features on the Fortress of Doors blog by Lead Developer Lars Doucet.

So it’s not just new stuff – fantastically, Fortress of Doors fixed things I didn’t even realise were broken, such as the targeting logic for your Towers. Here’s one of the new features: “CHEAP: If the current target can be killed outright with a cheaper attack, use that instead of the best one. This lets you avoid overkill.” I mean, I certainly never thought I’d be getting excited over targeting systems in a Tower Defense game, but for someone who is apparently completely obsessed with efficient horde destruction this is the sort of thing that gets me hard. Factor in the newly added ability to save targeting configurations for individual Towers so you don’t have to fiddle with them every time you deploy so you can further create a discrete army of Towers specced for different situations and, well, I’m going to have to take a moment.

I’ve only dreamed about this fidelity of control. It’s everything you could possibly want from a Tower Defense game. Well, I mean, if you’re as mad as me – the difficulty level scales such that you don’t have to worry about things like targeting logic at all, if that’s your thing (you weirdo). But it’s there if you want it, which is the entire ethos of the game. It’s also coming to Steam (no set date yet), so then you’ll have no excuse.

Alright, I’m going to try and defeat that bastard god-sheep once and for all.

Defender’s Quest Gold is currently on sale direct from the developers for a piddling £6.44, and you can also try the large demo, updated to Gold version, on their website. Clear your lunchtime plans.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. Abndn says:

A story written by a real, live English major! Can it be interpreted homosexually?

2. RegisteredUser says:

This is the Tower Defense game you must try. There’s a lengthy free demo.

Its made by nice people advocating DRM free gaming and long term support (check out the article “The four currencies on Gamasutra e.g. and other entries on their blog Fortressofdoors for ideas such as FreeLC), the game itself is a mix of simplified RPGish leveling and actual TD, and it has very lovely visuals(though I actually liked the more quaint original visuals a touch more).

This is one game that kept me enthralled and shows its made with a certain uniqueness. From a team that deserves all kinds of “ideological” support the way they view making games and treating customers.

GO GO GO!

• frightlever says:

Nothing bad could ever happen because of blind “ideological” support, could it?

• RegisteredUser says:

Well if you think that financially supporting a company that advocates 1. being free of DRM and 2. continued free updates and 3. encouraging deeper thought models than just “all pirates are non-convertible evil people and pirate out of spite purely” is bad, then sure, that kind of thing is bad.

I have no idea what you are on about, to be honest. Have you read even one of the related, relevant posts, articles, essays? Been to their forums, seen how they inform, interact and support their product?

I have. Making an informed recommendation to you then is “blind” support?

• Manburger says:

He’s just being a contrarian grumpygrumps, I, for one, apreciate your enthusiasm!
          It’s important to support people who do awesome stuff.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Hear, hear. You could even have said GO once more and I’d still be with you.

Also, yes, I will join the chorus of Buy This Game It’s Really Rather Good.

3. Salix says:

This is good and makes me happy, more Defender’s Quest can only make the world a better place.

4. Zanchito says:

I played through it once and couldn’t complete all the missions with 3 stars, but it was money very well spent. Looking forward to replaying it with the new additions. Is it possible to add it to steam if you got it from the devs? Oh, I’ll be not lazy and look it up myself.

5. cptgone says:

hurray! thank you very much, Fortress of Doors, and of course RPS for sharing the good news!

6. Revisor says:

Just another vote to the camp of You Have To Try This.
    It’s basically the best tower defense game available.

7. Atic Atac says:

Already bought this a while ago. It’s great!

Hope I get a Steam key.

8. MondSemmel says:

Is RPS going to write a proper WiT of this game, or is the article Adam once wrote considered a WiT even though it’s not called that?
    This game deserves a WiT, because it’s the best (non-maze) tower defense game ever made.
    Now, I haven’t played all tower defense games there are, but I have played lots of them. I played all the Blizzard RTS games, and so I played gazillions of user-created tower defense maps. There are hundreds of brilliant ones. But DQ, as a whole package, is better than any of them, I would argue. It’s better than Defense Grid, System Protocol One, or Unstoppable Gorg. Plants vs. Zombies has more charm, I would say, but DQ has a broader range of difficulty – PvZ didn’t really offer much of a challenge if you were used to tower defense games. I didn’t enjoy Sanctum, Dungeon Defenders and Sol Survivor. And the Soulcaster games were brilliant, but rather hectic.
    So, with that said, DQ is the best tower defense game ever made. Or rather, it already was that even before the Gold version was released…
    (There’s still room for someone to develop the perfect maze-building tower defense game. Although Desktop Tower Defense probably comes closest to that goal.)

• Ragnar says:

Here’s your WIT:

You should go and buy Defender’s Quest, it’s great. It’s made by nice indie devs who believe in customizing your game to be as hard or easy as you want, long-term support with free updates, multi-platform releases, and are against DRM. They even believe in lengthy demos where you can save your progress to import into the full game.

The game is a fun tower-defense / RPG-lite mix, and differs from most tower-defense games in that the maze is built for you. You will like it, your significant other / spouse will like it, even your 8-year-old child will like it.

Unless, that is, you hate all things tower-defense, rpg, and fun. In which case you should go and sulk all by yourself while the rest of us enjoy playing Defender’s Quest.

9. noodlecake says:

Grrrarg! No controller support!? What is this rubbish!? I am a PC Gamer. I deserve every concievable option for my games! Waaaah!

10. Carra says:

Play the demo, you’ll know if you like the game.

I bought it half a year ago and it’s a great tower defense game. Recommended to anyone who enjoys the genre.

PS: I hope I now get a steam key :)

11. Chizu says:

Finally played the demo of this, after never getting around to it in the past.
    Definitely buy this once I have some cash, hope they give steam keys to people who purchase before it comes out there.

12. vodka and cookies says:

One of the best tower defence games I’ve played really well worth buying even if your not keen on TD style games it can if you want be pretty easy to beat and has a nice story too.

13. Martel says:

That’s just great, this is one of my favorite TDs. Already beat it, but maybe this will give me an excuse to fire it up again.

14. LifeSuport says:

Hallo y’all,

I just wanted to give my words of support for this title. I just finished the demo and bought the game. To me it feels like a turn-based gauntlet with an overhead adventure map.

I disagree with those that say the writing is game-pig-trough fare, at least so far. Granted the industry has gotten so poor-rich with Hollywood writers that it makes id software’s early lack of any story seem like a masterstroke. So that is a pretty short yardstick. But it fits within the game setting and works.

My only gripe is the dialog bubbles. I find I’m never looking at anything but them during the talking phase. I can’t always tell who is speaking without tracing back to the mouth since they are bunched up top and overlap the character below.

If the developer is reading, my design tip would be to make the dialog bubble background color coded for each character talking and bring them into that vast space center screen between the characters so the focus is on the characters, even if they aren’t doing anything. Otherwise fade everything but the dialog bubbles and give the text the stage.

!you’z shoulda buy itz!

Thanks RPS for this find!

15. Phoenix00017 says:

Thanks for the kinds words Andrew! (This is Anthony, lead designer and partner of Lars). It’s so cool to see this game finally getting near completion. :) And thanks for the support everyone – we’re thrilled to hear so many people having a great time with it!

16. eleven0911 says:

whirlston machinery
    Glad to be here and see this. Many thanks for sharing.

17. Devan says:

Awesome! After I finished the game I’ve been checking periodically for that Gold update and not it’s finally here.
    For anyone who hasn’t tried this yet, it’s worth every penny.

Comment on this story