Cardboard Children: Spartacus

By Robert Florence on November 4th, 2012 at 12:17 pm.

Hello youse.

I haven’t seen Spartacus, but from what I hear there is a lot of blood in it and plenty of exposed breasts. I don’t know why I haven’t watched the show, because I enjoy both of these things. Don’t you think there are too many TV shows to watch these days? It seems like people are recommending new TV shows every week, and expecting you to buy a box set and watch about seven episodes before it starts to get good. Seriously! “You need to watch about the first five episodes to get properly into it.” Five hours?! You mad?! I barely have one spare hour these days, never mind five.

But let me say this. Whenever I do have some spare time, I want to play some board games with my lovely friends. And now I can play Spartacus: The Board Game. And it’s bloody brilliant.

SPARTACUS: A GAME OF BLOOD AND TREACHERY

You’re surprised, right? I know I was. Film and TV tie-in stuff is supposed to be crap. That’s the law of gaming. So the minute I saw this thing in the shop, my crap alarm went off.

My crap alarm just got louder when I saw the price. It cost me thirty quid, which is pretty inexpensive as far as board games go. I bet you can find it elsewhere cheaper too. My crap alarm was waking up the neighbours at this point. My hat was vibrating off my head. But I bought it. Why? Because it said the word “TREACHERY” on the box. And that’s always going to suck in a horrible human being like myself.

The game is for 3-4 players. Each player is a Dominus of one of four rival houses. You will build your influence, buy slaves and guards and gladiators, and ultimately send them out to fight for you in the arena. The game is mad simple.

The first phase gives everyone an opportunity to play Intrigue cards on themselves and each other. Each Intrigue card demands that you have enough Influence to play it. Here’s the first cool thing about the game – if you don’t have enough Influence to play a card, you can ask the other players to lend you their Influence. This introduces a great deal of negotiation and bargaining right from the get-go. You can pay other players for their Influence, or make some promises. It even creates the chance for you to ask another player to lend you their Influence so that you can play something beneficial to them, only to stab them in the back by playing something that hurts them BAD. This game is nasty.

The Intrigue cards are beautifully thematic. You can attempt to poison other gladiators, you can prostitute your slaves for coin, and you can spread ugly rumours about your rivals. Your opponents can try to thwart these cards with cards of their own, or by sending guards out to deal with the problem. (Guards are cards that can be played into your house, and can cancel events with a successful die roll.)

And that’s just the first phase!

The next phase sees everyone go to the market. This allows open trading of equipment, slaves and gladiators. More negotiation, as the players make deals with each other. More opportunities for promises to be broken. Then there’s an auction. (An auction mechanic too? This game is like a board game greatest hits compilation.) The auction allows bidding on new cards from the Market deck. Some of these cards will cause furious bidding. Many slaves come with hugely advantageous powers. (Some slaves even let you look at the auctioned cards in advance, which is a massive help in this phase.) Some gladiators are MONSTERS. Equipment for your gladiators are always worth a bid. This phase is just brilliant, and the closed-fist auction can often see you overpaying for stuff and roaring in fury.

The last thing you will bid for is the opportunity to host a gladiatorial battle in your arena. This will gain you influence and allow you to choose which players participate. When you win the chance to host you can behave like a total DICK. Maybe you’ll ask the players to give you money for an invite? Maybe you’ll invite someone you know has no gladiators, so that they have to decline and lose Influence? You are a DICK.

I know what you’re thinking. A battle mechanic too? Surely not.

THE ARENA

Amazingly, the last phase of each turn flings in a solid competitive battle mechanic. Plastic miniatures on a hex board, moving around, rolling dice. The whole deal. Like everything else in this game, the mechanic is simple and streamlined. Each gladiator has three stats, and these tell you how many dice you throw. These dice also act as hit points. As you take hits, you lose dice from your pools. It works brilliantly, and is a fun game in itself.

Every player can make bets on the outcome of the battles. You can even make a bet that someone’s head will get sliced off. This means, yes, that you could send in a shitty gladiator just to see him get torn to shreds. How Roman is that?

Successive victories will see Gladiators become champions, and they create more coin for their Dominus whenever they attend a fight. Oh, and remember me telling you that you can be a DICK when you host a battle? The host also has the power to decide the fate of a surviving loser in a gladiatorial battle. This means, yes…. YES.

YES, this means that you can do the whole thumb-up/thumb-down thing at the table, executing an opponent’s gladiator. This game is NASTY.

MY KIND OF GAME

Simply put, this is my kind of game. If you love stuff like Cosmic Encounter, high-interaction stuff with simple play and a whole lot of thematic crunch, then you will go fucking NUTS for this. A few weeks ago I played City of Horror and was sure that it was my Game of the Year, but Spartacus will give me some problems in the final reckoning. There is so much going on in this game, but it’s all so clean and clicks together beautifully. But a warning – the game is nasty. People will get pissed off at the table. There will be curses and insults and stamping feet. But my god, if you’ve ever wanted a board game where you can get pissed off at a rival and then have a chance to cut their head off in glorious battle, you must buy this.

Whenever the game ends in any kind of tie, players just send their best gladiators to the arena and settle the score that way. If it ends in a four-way tie, you have a tournament. How amazing is that? The game has such confidence in all its parts. If the arena battle element was weak, the whole game would collapse. But it all holds up. It all works. It’s a cocky, swaggering game that takes a pinch of this game and that game, mixes it all together, applies an adult theme and pulls everything off better than most other games on the market.

And it’s cheap. Fucking BUY this. It’s that simple. Buy this game.

KING OF TOKYO: POWER UP EXPANSION

As you know, this is a recommendation column. It’s not a review column. If I talk about a game on this page, you know that it’s because it’s worth talking about. Occasionally I get sent games to cover. I only tell you about the ones I think are worth your coin.

I’m making an exception here.

I love King of Tokyo. It’s an essential purchase for any board gamer, in my opinion. But this new expansion went down like a lead balloon. My group of five have played King of Tokyo hundreds of times, so we were keen to see what these new Evolution Cards bring to the mix. Whenever you roll three hearts in the game you can take an Evolution card from the deck, and it will give you a power of some kind. Don’t get me wrong – the powers are cool. But the problem is with the chasing of the hearts. Too much healing.

Power Up makes King of Tokyo longer. And that’s a bad thing for my group.

It’s amazing to see how fragile game design is. King of Tokyo never fails for us, and yet with this expansion and some more minutes on the clock, we were all bored out of our skulls. Now, if you play King of Tokyo with a smaller group, of three maybe, then this expansion might actually improve the game. I don’t know. But for our group, a group of five, it was useless.

I’m keen to hear your take on it. Has anyone tried it with less players? Does it help? Do let me know.

See you next time! Until then, Stay Dicey! (Could someone think of a new sign-off for me?)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Squishpoke says:

Well, then. I’m gonna have to check this out, considering that I’m a sucker for unique games like this.

2. sendmark says:

Spartacus board game sounds a good laugh. Any game that requires you to negotiate with and betray other players is always that much more interesting.

The TV show is ok – I found it a bit depressing, it’s like all the dark bits of Games of Thrones without the grander scale or Tyrion’s wit.

3. slive cinclair says:

Spartacus (The TV Show) is great fun if you put your brain into neutral.
    The third series was so dreadful nothing could save it though.

• magicwalnuts says:

Yeah, the show is fun, the first two seasons are full of nasty intrigue, brutal jockeying for power, lustful betrayals, and secrets. But then the third season really falls apart in all departments except gore. The lead had to be replaced, tragically, and then we had another main character swap out that pretty much swept the legs out from underneath the character interaction. The dialogue and plot were a step down, and the action became sadly repetitive with an extreme overuse of slow motion. Definitely going to check out this boardgame though.

4. McDan says:

Shame about the King of Tokyo expansion, was probably going to buy that. But me and the friends usually play with 6 players and it can drag out when there’s 2/3 people left. Looks like it’s the spartacus game for me!

5. MOKKA says:

I liked the King of Tokyo expansion. I found the base game to be a little bit too short and the expansion adds more ways to build up your monster.
    It can also lead to some interesting comebacks, where a player who struggles do get anything done at the start can win the whole round because he picked up a bunch of useful mutations.

But we played it in a four-player group so it might be possible that it gets too long with more then four players.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

I’ve got the expansion on order, and it sounds like the it might suit me. I usually play with 3/4 people (sometimes just the two of us) and a game usually feels a bit too short.

6. TCM says:

You know, between this and Battlestar, I think that the law of tie-ins is reversed for board gaming.

• malkav11 says:

I have a friend with a basement full of godawful television tie-in boardgames. Battlestar and Spartacus are just exceptions to the rule, the same way Escape from Butcher Bay was a videogame exception to the rule.

7. Jubaal says:

Thank bugger for that! I’ve pre-ordered Spartacus from my local board game store and was worrying I may have backed a turkey. Looking forward to it even more now. Cheers Rab, great column as always.

8. Radiant says:

Spartacus the TV series is pretty fucking brilliant.
    Starts off kind of corny but then very quickly realises that every actor on it is, deep down, batshit insane and turns everything up to 11.

9. Jake says:

I think Spartacus is pretty much the most entertaining TV show I have ever seen. I wrote a bit about it on my blog – it’s really worth a watch and is much more consistently enjoyable than say, Breaking Bad (controversial!)

• Phantoon says:

Is it because it has more tits? I don’t watch TV, but I’m pretty sure Spartacus has lots of frontal nudity.

• sonofsanta says:

Why stop at just frontal nudity? Spartacus literally covers every angle. When the first episode features slaves whose sole purpose is to warm up the dominus & his wife before they get down to it, you know where you’re at with a show. Foreplay slaves. Brilliant.

I’ve always considered it as GoT with the half the politics taken out and twice the penises and boobies put in.

• Jake says:

Spartacus does have more tits than Breaking Bad yes (unless you count Jesse).

• LennyLeonardo says:

Wait… are you saying that Spartacus has precisely one less tit than Breaking Bad? I’m confused. No, hold on…

• Vandelay says:

Does it stay good though?

First season took a long time to get going, but the prequel was pretty great from the beginning. I have heard mixed things about the third season though. I also can’t see how they can keep it going without Batiatus.

• Jake says:

The third season is nothing like as good unfortunately. Ambiguous wording follows to avoid spoilers…

Without that guy that could act, was interesting and did hilarious swearing, the show really struggles to do anything except fight scenes. The replacement actor for Spartacus is also not as good unfortunately. And the show is a bit odd when they are not in an arena as often, same problem as the first few episodes of season 1, the budget creaks a bit under the strain of providing different locations and the gladiator fights are the highlights anyway.

It’s still a decent show though, especially near the end of the season where it gets back to the old ultraviolence. A guy gets shot in the face with a flaming catapult, that’s worth the price of admission alone.

10. moocow says:

“I barely have one spare hour these days, never mind five.”

Surely you have a lot more free time now you don’t have to write Eurogamer columns!

(Too soon?)

11. Scouter says:

New signoff?

“Stop flipping the tables?”

12. Chaz says:

I’M SPARTACUS!

and I demand royalties from this here board game.

13. RogB says:

JUPITERS COCK!

• Vesper says:

Yeah, “Jupiter’s Cock” is quite a nasty card ;)
      This is a really good tie-in game, which is every bit as surprising, as stated by Mr Florence.

14. uiywoisdf says:

ONLINE STORE :

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

Best online store

Best quality, Best reputation , Best services

—**** NHL Jersey Woman $ 40 —**** NFL Jersey $ 35

—**** NBA Jersey $ 34 —**** MLB Jersey $ 35

—**** Jordan Six Ring_m $ 36 —**** Air Yeezy_m $ 45

—**** T-Shirt_m $ 25 —**** Jacket_m $ 36

—**** Hoody_m $ 50 —**** Manicure Set $ 20

—**** handbag $ 37 —**** ugg boot $ 43 —****

—**** sunglass $ 16 —**** bult $ 17 —****

+++ http://fur.ly/92gq ++++++++++

15. bill says:

I know what you mean about TV shows…. and they all involve so much attention these days. I have a huge pile of box sets and recommended shows that I haven’t gotten to yet.

What ever happened to shows like Battlestar Galactica 1980 or Knightrider or A-team where the same thing happened every week so you could just watch shows when you felt like it?

16. Easy says:

Hell’s NO, Rab! Stay Dicey stays. It’s your trademark, your mojo, your Z for Zorro. Staaaaay Diceeeyyyyy (with echo).

17. Shadowcat says:

Nice write-up on Spartacus, Rab; cheers. That’s the second rave about this game I’ve seen. Must… resist… temptation…

I appreciated the warning about the KOT expansion, too. I was already apprehensive about that purely because I suspected that unique powers would unbalance the game, but it sounds like that isn’t the main issue here.