Vaguely Does It: PC GTA V “Up For Consideration”

By Alec Meer on November 20th, 2012 at 3:00 pm.

A PC gamer feeling sad that he might not get to play GTA V, yesterday

The recent torrent of marketing and marketing masquerading as news surrounding the latest GTA V trailer came with one unsettling ommission – any mention of a PC version of Rockstar’s newest open world misanthropy odyssey. There’s still no definite news of a release for the One True Format, but Rockstar have at least not ruled it out when the question was put them.

Speaking to IGN on the matter of formats beyond Xboxy and Playingstation, oft-elusive Rockstar VP and GTA writer Dan Houser offered only “Everything else is up for consideration. That’s all I can give you.”

He also stressed that Rockstar being unbeholden to a platform holder meant “we can do what we want wherever there’s the appropriate business opportunity and chance to find a market. If that’s on Apple we put something on Apple. Wherever it might be. I think that’s the fun in what we do. We see ourselves as a content company that uses technology. We don’t make it; we use it to make the most fun stuff.”

So, we’re not any closer to an answer than we were previously. I’d be surprised if the game didn’t release on PC, but I suspect it won’t be until next year at the earliest. If it doesn’t arrive, that’d make it the first GTA outside of the portable ones that skipped PC – even though the mega-res, mega-anti-aliased bullshots released to promote the game reveal that at least some manner of PC build does exist.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. luukdeman111 says:

Surprise, surprise!

2. bluebomberman says:

Well GTA4 doesn’t even run on my AMD Radeon 4670M in any resolution but 800 x 600… gonna ignore all the hype until they commit themselves to a quality port. (And let’s face it, Rockstar does not have a good rep for quality ports.)

• Optimaximal says:

^ obligatory ‘Game released after my mobile graphics chip doesn’t work well on my mobile graphics chip’-rant

• bit_crusherrr says:

I don’t get why anyone who wants to play PC games would use a laptop as their main gaming thingy.

• S Jay says:

I for example: I am basically homeless, migrating from place to place. I am so addicted that I would carry a desktop around just to play, so I bought an Alienware 14″ (which is borderline mobile)

• Enso says:

Maybe if you didn’t spend all your money on games you could afford to settle down, find a nice girl, start a family. Your brother has. Why can’t you be more like him?

• Gnoupi says:

People who move between several locations, who want to play PC games, and who have a weak back preventing them from carrying their desktop computer and its accessories with them.

• Fiatil says:

To be fair, when I went off to college I bought an Asus laptop for a decent price with an nvidia 9500M in it about 5 years ago, and it still works pretty damn well for most things. I finally got enough spare change to buy a new desktop last year and I play all of the fanciest new stuff on that, but the old laptop still works really well for 90% of the stuff out there right now.

• RandomGameR says:

I’m a hardcore gamer and all of the top PC games play great on my laptop.

Zynga Poker, Farmville, Solitaire… You name it, I can play it.

• ulix says:

Obligatory “From what I’ve heard Max Payne 3 was an excellent port, and it’s built on the same engine.” comment.

• SkittleDiddler says:

Contrary to popular belief, Max Payne 3 is not universally loved for its technical performance. It’s obviously head-over-heels better than GTA4, but to pretend MP3 is some kind of paragon of engineering brilliance is a fallacy.

Ignore all that if you were being facetious.

• bluebomberman says:

Games that run well at 1080p using my AMD Radeon 4670M: Civ V, Alpha Protocol, Bastion, Overlord, Dragon Age Origins, King’s Bounty the Legend, Trine 1 + 2, DC Universe Online, Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Games that run well at 720p: Assassin’s Creed II + Brotherhood, The Old Republic, Deus Ex HR.

Games that run horribly: LA Noire, the original Assassin’s Creed, GTA 4.

Yeah, clearly my graphics chip is so underpowered that I shouldn’t expect to run GTA 4 at a resolution higher than 800 x 600. *rolls eyes*

• Snargelfargen says:

Dude, just turn the graphics sliders down below 25% and you should be able to run it decently. GTA 4′s settings go up ridiculously high. I’m not exagerrating when I say that no computer available today can run it with everything maxed.

Part of it is the shitty engine, but it also has a lot to do with the allowances. The sliders let you extend the view distance and rendering of lights and shadows to absolutely ridiculous distances that never come into play. The developers should just have capped the graphics settings at something within reach of hardware available at the time.

• bluebomberman says:

Can’t. The game won’t let me change resolutions. It refuses to run at anything besides 800 x 600.

Tried to jury rig it using pcgamingwiki.com’s advice. No dice.

• Snargelfargen says:

Assuming the option for changing resolution is unresponsive (Is that right?), have you tried running in windowed mode?

• bluebomberman says:

My memory is hazy on this but I think it ran in a crisp, highly detailed, and buttery smooth 800 x 600 window. Like playing through a peephole. *weeps*

• Lekker says:

My rig would like to disagree.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Yeah. Bastion. That game’s a beast, yo.

None of those games come close to having to render as much lighting, shadows, and objects as GTA4 at high settings. Skyrim would be much more apt, but all those others are complete lightweights by comparison.

3. Kestrel says:

10-to-1 odds it’ll be another shoddy Rockstar PC port.

• povu says:

I heard LA Noire’s was alright? Aside from the rockstar social club nonsense.

• mrmalodor says:

Noire’s port was pretty bad actually. So bad that it stuttered like hell on dual core systems unless you started the game with a certain command line parameter.

• banski83 says:

Ooh, I didn’t know about this. What’s the command line parameter? Or is the relevant info easily googlable (is that a word? It is now)?

• terry says:

I think it was -str if memory serves. Google LA noire single thread rendering and you’ll find it.

• brulleks says:

Do you know, I think I was so distracted by how poor LA Noire’s gameplay was that I failed to notice whether it was poorly ported or not.

• OnionPowder says:

Did you play Max Payne 3?

• Knufinke says:

Max Payne 3 was a good port. It was so good in fact that I wouldn’t call it a port with it’s spacewasting amount of fine hd textures. But then again MP always was a PC series and GTA, well, not… really.

• Beelzebud says:

I’m not sure how you can say that and be serious. GTA got its start on the PC. The first two games were PC exclusives, and every single GTA game released since has had a PC version. It might not be their main focus, but to say GTA was ‘not really’ a PC franchise is just wrong.

• HadToLogin says:

Which two games were PC exclusives? GTA1 with it’s maybe three months of exclusivity (PC release – October 97, PS1 – December 97). Or maybe GTA2, which, at least in Europe, was released on consoles earlier then on PC?
            Or maybe you’re talking about Liberty/Vice City Stories?

• Kestrel says:

Admittedly I did not play MP3, although I saw a friend run it rather well on his PC. Max Payne seems to be the exception, not the rule. GTAIV was a disaster on my hardware (which is decently high-end).

• Scare Tactics says:

Well it ran fine on my 6 year old PC. Never had any problems with GTA IV.

• stupid_mcgee says:

GTA4 was a disaster on consoles. I remember playing it on my friend’s 360 and I was very surprised by how much slowdown and stuttering there was. I think the engine, as a whole, was poorly optimized. Most likely due to R* having to learn the ropes of newer tech and building a brand new engine for it.

• HadToLogin says:

MP3 is small game, where nearly everything is scripted (maybe enemy moves aren’t, but many of them feel to be doing same thing with every respawn…). In GTA, there’s constant work, hardware must decide about civilians, how car are supposed to go, what cars to spawn. And after this decision, GPUs must render them, RAM must delete and add those random data over and over again.

• Stevostin says:

The only “shoddy” PC port Rockstar ever made is GTA IV. Still it’s more beautiful than the console ones and highly moddable. Also, you can make your playlist.

Rockstar does have a good history with PC Port actually. The really ugly part is the “no port” for Red Dead Redemption.

4. Domino says:

It would be silly not to, as mentioned It wouldn’t be surprising if all the of the promotional content was rendered using a PC build. They should just give a definitive answer either way because them ignoring it isn’t going to make it go away or lessen the frequency in which these questions are asked.

If they say they won’t then they are only digging themselves a bigger hole from all the backlash that would ensue causing even more of a commotion, they are probably still trying to learn their lesson after the last terrible port that was GTA4.

• bglamb says:

It”s not gonna stop anyone with a PC buying it when it’s released, and creates another fresh round of marketing masquerading as stories about a news item which is only news because Rockstar are being deliberately coy.

Seems like a pretty good plan to me.

• Banana_Republic says:

Nah, it’s going to stop me from buying it. If Rockstar feels they can play f@#$y-sucky with PC users, I’m done doing business with them. The poor offering they made of GTA4 makes that decision all the easier. These days, PC exclusive developers have dibs on my money. Devs who create multi-platform games and make a solid effort in their PC ports, even if imperfect (hello, Gearbox), will also see my money. But I no longer accept getting the high hat from devs who treat the PC platform like an afterthought.

Of course, that will only allow them to claim that the PC platform is dead because their sales are so low. Let them claim that. Nobody but console idiots believes the PC is dead anymore. That canard has long since been exposed as so much console propaganda. If Rockstar won’t build for the platform, many others will step in to fill the rift and provide PC users with the superior experience that ONLY our platform can provide.

Adieu, Rockstar.

• DrGonzo says:

Rockstar aren’t a publisher, they don’t have a say it what it comes out on. So your anger is misguided, and should probably be aimed elsewhere.

• Lanfranc says:

Rockstar is both a developer and a publisher, although they are owned as a subsidiary by Take 2.

• SkittleDiddler says:

You don’t really believe that, do you?

• stupid_mcgee says:

As Lanfranc said, they are a publisher. They published L.A. Noire, which was developed by Team Bondi. Take-Two was the distributor. R* has actually been a publisher since GTA2.

• exenter says:

The last GTA V trailer looked pretty bad, even worse than GTA IV in some places. I doubt it was PC footage.

• Valvarexart says:

This. It looked like there was no AA and the textures looked like something from 2004. I would have been excited about the trailer…. 10 years ago.

• Citrus says:

I don’t know what you are complaining about. All the console gamers on RPS LOVED the GTA-V trailer. So many people posted how excited they felt and how it was the bestest looking pile of crap that has been shined EVAR.

5. Sigvatr says:

This is Rockstar speak for “We’ve been working on it for years.”

• Sigvatr says:

…although it will still be a terrible port.

• x1501 says:

Have some faith. Rockstar Games have been releasing PC games since 1997 and GTA IV is their only truly bad PC port I can think of.

• Gnoupi says:

San Andreas was not particularly amazing on that matter, from what I recall.

• exenter says:

San Andreas was a horrible port.

• x1501 says:

Was it as bad as GTA IV? I didn’t get a chance to play it back in 2005, but according to GameSpy’s review, “The PC version suffers from a few technical glitches and generally looks a little dated compared to other PC titles, but still feels like an improvement over the PS2 version…”

• Stevostin says:

No, it was an ok port at a time where nealy no one was doing port. It still was better to play than console, thanks for the aiming with a mouse, the high res & frame rate, the mods, etc.

• Fiatil says:

Huh, I remember buying it at launch with my at the time not so awesome PC and it ran great. Maxed draw distance and all of that.

• Snargelfargen says:

Do you have any references to San Andreas’ port having issues? I remember almost my entire dorm pirating it when it came out, and it worked ok on everybody’s crappy student laptops.

• InternetBatman says:

They haven’t done helicopter controls right on the keyboard for any of the GTA games. They’re far from perfect ports.

• skinlo says:

No game has though, including Microsoft Flight Simulators.

• Snargelfargen says:

Binary input isn’t really suited to helicopter controls, unfortunately. The behind the scenes work to get cars driving somewhat normally is already pretty sketchy, which is why a lot of driving games on pc don’t feel right without a steering wheel or gamepad.

6. Njordsk says:

Well fuck you then.

I don’t get R* attitude toward PC.

“Ok take bully years laters, then no, you won’t get RDR. But please take max payne, and superbly optimized on the of that. And please take LA Noire a year later too. Gta 5? Why the hell would you want that?”

Stop playing with my nerves R*

• GallonOfAlan says:

Their attitude is that the consoles are their cash cow, and if they think that money-wise it’s worth doing a PC version even with the staggering rate of piracy that a title like this will attract, they’ll do it.

• Stevostin says:

I think the “PC is piracy” is really old now. Piracy is bloody high on console : you just need a DVD burner and a torrent, after all. Actually I wouldn’t be surprised to learn that piracy is lower on PC than console nowadays, thx to steam sales.

• dE says:

“They have that attitude because whenever they do release anything on the PC, a small handful of people just bitch about it. Sometimes for good reasons, most of the time, however, for even better reasons.”

Fixed that for you.
      I’ve also got the feeling that you’re mistaking discussions about issues with a game as “bitching”. Fun fact: Discussions are not whining. Having technical issues with a product and talking about it, is not whining. Being dissatisfied with a non working product is not bitching. The words bitching and whining are a great marketing trick, getting some folks to place blame solely on the consumers for failures of the product. As well as making them seem like dissatisfied kids, a mental image meant to ridicule. Please stop buying into that idea. It’s harmful.

• x1501 says:

EDIT: The original message I was replying to got deleted:
      “They have that attitude because whenever they do release anything on the PC, people just bitch about it” and so on.

GTA IV was quite possibly one of the worst PC ports of the past decade. Buggy, extremely slow, unoptimized, laden with up to three types of DRM (Steam + GWFL + Social Club), and missing some of the most basic PC features such as SLI and AA support. If you’re implying that most people complained about it for “silly reasons” alone, you’re only demonstrating your ignorance on the subject.

• Whenn says:

You might be surprised, but the average GTA consumer doesn’t care about SLI or AA. He just wants to play the game. I know it might sound weird to you, I mean, how could anyone enjoy a game where outlines are slightly pixelated and he can’t run two video cards at once?? but it’s the truth.

• x1501 says:

Er, the only reason some of us wanted to be able to utilize two video cards at once because the game ran like a slide show on most medium-range machines back in 2008 and it was cheaper to buy a second 512MB card for SLI (if your MB supported it) than to buy one of then-new 1GB replacements.. Even today, I have a high-end 2011 PC and I still can’t smoothly run the game with everything on maximum.

Edit: Reply is bugged again. Replying to Whenn above.

7. Bork Titflopsen says:

There is a market for GTA on the pc!

A pc is made of technology, you can use it to make the most fun stuff!

Even better, you’re already using a pc to make the most fun stuff for outdated technology!

Logic!

8. shiromar says:

Can we expect a bad port again in a year and for it to be fully playable in 2?

9. Vernalagnia says:

I will never understand their coyness when it comes to PC releases. They always make them, eventually (except for RDR, inexplicably) and they always sell fairly well. Based on screenie evidence they almost certainly have it running on a PC of some flavor – so why bother with the run around? They have the time and money to release the PC version the same day as the console versions. It really baffles me that they act like it’s pulling teeth.

• MiniMatt says:

I’d hazard a guess it’s not so much a “will a PC release make money?” question (answer likely being “yes”) but an opportunity cost question – ie. “Will time spent building a PC release make us less money than that time spent polishing / patching / releasing DLC for consoles?”. The answer to this second question is also likely “yes” for a good chunk of time after console release.

• UncleLou says:

None of Rockstar San Diego’s games have made it to the PC: Red Dead Redemption, as you mentioned (and the predecessor Red Dead Revolver), but also Midnight Club 1 and 2 and Table Tennis.

All (I think) of Rockstar North’s games, otoh, were ported to the PC. At least eventually.

• terry says:

Well, I’d imagine in swap for taking all that glorious platform exclusivity money they’re probably not allowed to say “Oh yeah and you’ll be able to get it on PC in glorious HD for a fiver in a Steam sale half a year from now”.

10. DickSocrates says:

The GTA games are the only mainstream console titles that I’m interested in and unfortunately for me, Rockstar are basically the only publisher now who doesn’t automatically release a PC version at the same time or a few weeks later. I genuinely don’t understand Rockstar or Take 2′s attitude to PC. That RDR never came out is the weirdest/dumbest decision in years. But lucky for us, we get crappy LA Noire and Max Payne, neither of which that many people would have been bothered about not getting, while everyone signed RDR petitions.

To make it even wrose, Take 2 are basically bankrolled by Rockstar, no other games they make sell and they seem to publish losses every quarter unless a Rockstar game came out and bailed them out. Yet they don’t maximise their revenue.

Dumbfoudning. Am dumbfounded.

11. rocketman71 says:

Well, that’s fine, because by putting so much malware in GTA4 and not releasing RDR for the PC, Rockstar lost any loyalty I still had for them.

Me buying GTA5 or any other game from them is not up for consideration anymore. There are much better companies with much better games out there, and even some that care about PC gamers.

12. Graeme says:

I played the original GTA on the PC when it first came out and completed it. Then I completed GTA 3. I also complete Vice City. Those were fun games.

I can’t remember if I completed San Andreas. That was fun in places.

After buying GTA 4 on Steam, and after spending a couple of hours getting the RockStone Social Hangout and Gamers For Windows installed I played about 45 minutes of GTA4. That was not fun. Had to sit in traffic and go on a date. Couldn’t get out of the little starting zone. Done.

To me GTA 5 looks like a lot more of the same, more real less fun.

• Kyrius says:

Go play Saints Row 3! No, seriously, it’s all about the fun ;) Sometimes they make more sex jokes then normal (or do they?), but the mayhem you can cause is awesome!

• Stevostin says:

I never really liked GTA game before Chinatown. Then I tried GTA IV and it’s one of my favourite game. I quite like the III and SA, but not that much, because I am put off by exactly what you like. I want the immersion, feel the city, the mayhem stuff gets old very fast but living another’s life never gets old. I’d like a GTA with police that chase you when you drive like a crazy guy, with deadly bullets, where you have to put your money somewhere and may loose it, where dying is game over, with choices in the story line. I don’t want achievement, stupide jumps, weapon to be picked up like i am playing fucking mario. I don’t want the “gamey” stuff that kill immersions. “Gamey” is fine, but it’s anecdotical to me. That’s no the meat I am after. Let the fun to 5$ indie games, I want the immersion, I want good story, good dialogs, a strong sense of place.

• Meldreth says:

” I want to steal a car and tear around like Steve McQueen in Bullitt. Get chased by the cops, clothesline a biker and ride away on his bike. I don’t want a story, or multiple character, or girlfriends, or jobs or bills. I get enough of that in real life. I want fun escapism. ”

Well then that’s great, cause you can do all that in GTA IV ! I don’t want to sound like a jerk, but your comment seems pretty unfair.
      You ” had to sit in traffic ” ? This is going to require some explanation. And about the girlfriend part, yes there’s one mandatory mission where you have to take one out on a date. All the rest is optional. I get that people disliked the story in Gta IV, claimng it was too serious and maybe didn’t even manage to be believable, but the fun part of the game is still there.

13. Shortwave says:

Crap attitude, it’ll clearly be a piss poor port as usual.
    Consoles can keep it, I’ll play it at a pals some day I’m sure.
    At this point I’m happy I can finally sort of keep 60fps on IV.
    I’ll play it through once, it’ll be fun. I’ll move on.
    I’m good.

14. Whenn says:

“…even though the mega-res, mega-anti-aliased bullshots released to promote the game reveal that at least some manner of PC build does exist.”

Really? I thought they developed the game on the xbox itself, programming with 360 controller on-screen keyboard etc’

15. mrmalodor says:

My purchase of any upcoming Rockstar products is likewise up for consideration.

“even though the mega-res, mega-anti-aliased bullshots released to promote the game”

Come on, we all know that official screenshots are pre-rendered and doctored these days. Nobody wants to show all those blurry textures, flickering scenery and shimmering shadows.

16. Ultra-Humanite says:

What a goddamn philistine.

17. Revolving Ocelot says:

Sigh, this has reminded me of Red Dead Redemption. Now I’m sad.

Then again, I’ve never bought a Rockstar game on PC since hearing about the horrible optimisation of GTAIV. I don’t have a quad-core processor!

18. FullMetalMonkey says:

*Clears throat*

19. Valvarexart says:

I honestly hope they don’t bring another shitty game to the PC. Everything they made after VC has been crap. GTAIV is decent with modding, but in my opinion one of the most overrated games out there.
    Just take a look at the trailer for GTAV – it’s embarrasing. Let them keep the console market, but I could care less if they release it on PC.

20. Strutter says:

Didn’t they say it would be released on pc, ps3 and xboxy 360 simultaneously when gtaV was first announced? They sure went back on that.
    I never had any issues with the gtaIV port but I hope they stop using gfwl this time.

21. FullMetalMonkey says:

I can feel the petition coming in the air of the night.

Oh lord!

Ba dum dum dum dum da dum dum cha!

Plik plik plik plok plok plok

22. Cold Steel says:

@Rockstar, provide mod support and you’ll have many sales *hint
    * Skyrim *hint*.

23. Cooper says:

Indeed. Why aren’t Rockstar being asked this question?

“Your screenshots are clearly from a PC build, so why no PC reelase?”

Or are too many journalists happy to go along with the PR bull that palms these off as if they’re indicative of the release version…

24. Tuskin38 says:

Files for GTA5 were found in the social club folder after a recent update. They were just copy and paste of MP3′s files, but there were some unique stuff in there, including a couple pictures that were obviously place holders.

25. Citrus says:

Well maybe if PC gamers would stop sucking the balls of developers/publishers like Bethesda, UBI and Rockstar, begging for games and posting about them on PC ONLY SITES THAT STILL POST ABOUT UNCONFIRMED PC GAMES.. yeah you know what? Anyone with more than a braincell can figure out why developers treat PC gamers like shit and still make profit after release a shit port months or years later.

Most PC gamers these days have no self-respect. Why should these developers/publishers? Then again, most PC gamers these days are console gamers who finally got tired of playing shit looking games on their consoles and dumbing down the gaming industry. These console-breeds can be identified easily by lurking in Steam forums where they ask questions like “this game supports Xbox controller? I love playing FPS with controller.” or “MY DELLBOX-4000 CANNOT RUN THIS GAME, I BOUGHT ANOTHER COPY FOR XBOX AND ANOTHER FOR PS3 WHILE TRYING TO RUN THIS ON PCEH”. You will also find these consolers bitching about how “elitist” PC gamers who spend money on their rigs are, usually on RPS these days.

We will probably see a interview on RPS with Rockstar soon enough considering how things are going.

*GTA-V*
    Coming maybe probably sometime soon on PC.. if you all are nice to us.. beg you like the “master race” you are.. lulzsuckersitwillbeashitportgoplayhotlinemiamiwhatever.

26. Reinou says:

F you Rockstar, your attitude sucks. I will buy GTA V, but I will wait until it’s under $15. If I have to wait a year for the PC version, I have no problem waiting another year or two till it drops in price. I’m not willing to pay more to a company that treats me like a second class citizen and continuously releases shoddy ports. If GTA V is more like GTA IV than San Andreas or Vice City, then I’m not really that interested anyway.

27. The Random One says:

Mac version confirmed then?

28. fish99 says:

This sounds like “let’s pretend we’re not releasing on PC so people are conned into buying the console version”, just like last time. If they actually don’t release on PC, that’s Rockstar done for me, no more purchases, ever, not even stuff they publish.

As for GTA4 being a bad port, yes it is, but PC is still the best way to play GTA4 if your hardware is good enough. 3GHz quad + 460 and you’ll be getting better framerates than the console version, in a higher resolution with the graphics sliders way higher, plus the combat feels better on a mouse.

29. Archangel says:

And nothing of value was lost.

C’mon, Rockstar — makes some games we’ll actually be interested in, instead of flogging GTA for the umpteenth time. Oh wait, RDR, which you didn’t bring to PC. Never mind, you insufferable food trough wipers.

30. RockandGrohl says:

I honestly think that if a petition were to come about, and it was professionally done, Rockstar would take notice, ALA Dark Souls..

31. CrazedIvan says:

why don’t they crowd source it, set a minimum that they would think needs to sell to justify whatever they need to justify. Then have anyone who is willing to buy, fund the converting/making of the PC version.

You know its because they think people will pirate the hell out of it. This way, they get their money and w get the game.

I dunno, I’m just spit balling here. I want this game for my PC!

32. Caiman says:

I am strangely unmoved by this news. After the abysmal porting of GTA IV to PC, their refusal to port RDR, and the generally declining quality of their games of late, I’m really not that concerned about playing essentially the same game as San Andreas with better graphics. Been there, done that, moved on. There are far too many games out there to play anyway, this just makes the decision-making process easier.

33. Monkeh says:

IMO such a big ‘ugh’ that they don’t make it for the PC right-away. I mean, I could understand it (from a business point of view) that they would hold out on a PC release when they still had those exclusive release contracts. Now it’s just plain lame.

34. s0beit says:

I’d still buy it for some minimal fun, but I’m not impressed by Rockstar these days. They have, for what seems like no reason at all, blown off modding support. You can’t even make your own multiplayer mods through scripting. In a sandbox game of this magnitude (talking about GTAIV and beyond) this is completely inexcusable. It was excusable back when they were using the excuse “It’s renderware, we can’t just give out the tools!” because, well, it wasn’t their intellectual property. (Although, they could have released a mission editor and file editor without having to force the modding community to do it, even back then, and they didn’t)

I’m almost completely fed up with Rockstar as a PC gamer. The only reason I loved and played GTAIII and beyond on PC is because of the modding support shoehorned in by hard working people that they constantly try to shit on. Rockstar wants to sell DLC, so the modders have to go! I guess is their rationale, completely forgetting that it’s the modders who made (multiplayer, and other) mods for previous installments of their series and that’s the only reason it sold so well in the first place.

People still play GTA-SA online with each other, I can guarantee you, right now, there’s more players online in MTA-SA and SA-MP than there are in GTAIV’s horrible, boring PC online mode. There’s also a ton more mods for GTASA, built on a pile of nerd bodies and years of hard work and absolutely no assistance from Rockstar. They really are a bunch of dicks.

Comment on this story