Wait, What? – The Humble THQ Bundle [Updated]

By Nathan Grayson on November 30th, 2012 at 9:00 am.

Update: I got in touch with the Humble Bundle folks to find out more about how this out-of-nowhere partnership came about. See what they had to say after the break.

Original: I was incredibly tempted to begin this post with a joke about how the charity slider on this Humble Bundle is redundant, because THQ is already basically a charity. That would be mean, though, so I opted to– oops, I already did it. Hm. Shame backspace was never invented. Anyway, the latest bundle of densely packaged humility puts the spotlight on a decidedly non-indie THQ, but oh well. Indie’s a pretty terrible word when it’s used to write off great games because they weren’t coded by a half-person team in a garage-bedroom constantly beset by subarctic winds and ravenous wolverines. So, right then, let’s take a look inside.

As with pretty much everything Humble Bundle touches, this one’s basically gold. For the low (or astronomically high) price of whatever you want, you’ll get Darksiders, Metro 2033, Red Faction: Armageddon, Company of Heroes, Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts, and Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor. Oh, and if you beat the average, they’ll toss in Saints Row: The Third as well. To put that all in perspective, the average (as of writing) is just a hair over $5.

Unlike previous Humble Bundles, however, this one’s Windows and Steam-only, so it’s not entirely DRM-free like previous offerings. Granted, it doesn’t claim to be, but still.

It does put the Humble Bundle in a bit of an odd position, though. Even when promoting non-game products, it’s always taped a “No Mega-Publishers Allowed” sign to its treehouse. Granted, THQ’s seen better days, and – given its boldness with interesting games – it’s a cause worthy of support. But the Humble Bundle’s clearly expanded its borders – not to mention picked up restrictions like DRM – so I can’t say I’m entirely sure where it draws the line anymore.

But I guess I don’t have to, because a rep from Humble Bundle told me. Neat!

“When THQ expressed interest in our pay what you want plus charity model and willingness to let us bundle so many top tier titles, we couldn’t believe it at first,” the rep explained to RPS. “But trying to turn up our noses at this epic chance to make gamers happy and help worthy causes like Child’s Play and the American Red Cross could only have been defined as arrogance.  We had to try and we were extremely curious to see what would happen.”

“So far, it’s been pretty well received: we’re on record pace both in total sales and number of purchases.  It looks like we’ve passed the two million dollar mark in just 16 hours. We are hopeful that this excitement is growing our community in a way that can only help our future promotions, and rest assured that indie bundles will continue to be an important part of our business.”

, , , , , .

1. Drafman says:

Damn you Black Friday for getting all my money! Is there anyone kind enough to gift this bundle to a poor sucker?

• Suits says:

you have two weeks to make $1/5. really now

• Drafman says:

And to get a credit card at a bank, I doubt I’ll make it. And of course I’m only asking for a below average bundle, nothing more.

• Bhazor says:

A below average bundle?

What?

• Puckoidiot says:

A bundle for which has been paid below the average purchasing price, and thus does not include Saint’s Row 3.

• Armitage says:

The last 2 times you begged on RPS for the HIB could have been a clue that its time to got get a debit card. You are a sad human being and should be banned from commenting on this site.

• Slinkyboy says:

Yep, he should quit whining.

if you live in the States, go to Kroger and ask for a temporary credit card for net use.

States as in AMERICA: The free land.

RobF says:

Blimey.

• mouton says:

I live in Poland – which is just north of Mongolia – and I have a online-only credit card that costs peanuts. So really.

• MrBRAD! says:

sent ;)))))

• lordcooper says:

Sent you a message

EDIT: And a bundle.

• Drafman says:

Got it! Thanks man!

• BreadBitten says:

Wow, that was…generous!

• dontnormally says:

You got swindled too.
        Don’t.
        What the hell.

• Drafman says:

Don’t worry, nobody got swindled.

• Yglorba says:

It’s $1. I think that when you’re saying “hey, I’m going to give $1 to a random stranger on the internet because he asked for it,” it’s hard to say you were swindled.

Smashbox says:

Cool – it’s like those 3 dudes who ask me for money four times every single day as I walk up the street I work on.

• tetracycloide says:

It has already forgotten that I’ve gifted it a humble bundle…

• codename_bloodfist says:

Heh, that’s pretty funny.

• SelfEsteemFund says:

Didn’t realise we had such scumbags on RPS, what a shame.

• mazzratazz says:

Wow, he didn’t even bother to change his username. One of the sadder things I’ve seen on RPS :D

• dontnormally says:

Banhammer.
        Someone please.

• Gorf says:

WTF?!
        So what the hell does he do with all the bundles he gets?
        This makes me sad.

• frightlever says:

All that effort tracking down links.

Irony. I am aware of it.

• kalirion says:

Now look what you’ve done. For the price of a measly $1, this humble individual has been making people feel pretty damn good about themselves. And now YOU have made them feel like the suckers that they are.

Who is the real villain here, I ask you?

• seamoss says:

Not that anyone will read this since the story fell off the front page, but if you look closely you’ll see that for Humble Bundle 6, I’m the one who gifted him the bundle, which is why I remembered his nickname.

To be clear, I hold no hard feelings towards Drafman – he asked for a bundle gift each time and, as you said, some nice person (myself included – ha!) decided to give him one. I personally don’t have any problems with people who ask for change on the streets either – I used to always give them a dollar or so until I got married and the wife made me stop (not out of meanness or anything like that).

As for hunting down links, it’s no more than searching for “rock paper shotgun humble bundle drafman” in Google.

• Drafman says:

Yup, still looking for a job.
        Well, see ya guys when HIB7 comes out!

• Hahaha says:

Bye bye pikey scummer, hope you get a new email and user name next time.

• Drafman says:

There’s no reason to be that mean, and I do actually play the games and don’t sell them.

• Hahaha says:

Strengthen that skin, getting called a pikey scummer is going to be one of the less harsh things you hear in your life.

• Drafman says:

Sure, tell yourself this if it makes you feel better. :)

• Halbarad says:

Drafman – how do you expect people to react? I’m not going to call you any names, that’s pointless, but you have already admitted you’re going to beg for another bundle the next time one is released which is rather pathetic. Not saying you’re pathetic, just the act of announcing your future begging is, in itself, pathetic.

Others can call you what they want, you are the one constantly begging and getting away with it. Do you not have £0.62 ($1)? I doubt it, we all have that available but you’re just running a con where the other people just give you games.

• Apocalypse 31 says:

Good find. I’m not sure what’s more pathetic; the fact that this guy is a blatant liar, or that people continue TO BUY HIM THESE BUNDLES….WTF?

• Armitage says:

Begging on the internet, really ?! GTFO!

• chumm says:

My 13 year old brother created a paypal account, researched how to make money on the internet, filled out a couple of surveys and got paid $2 which he used to buy a previous HIB. Don’t act so helpless.

• Xepter says:

*sigh* A dream would come true, if MY brother would do the same thing, instead of asking me what to do the whole time ._.

2. StingingVelvet says:

When I heard this was coming I was like “OH YEAH DRM FREE AAA GAMES!” Now that it is here I am understandably disappointed and feel slightly betrayed. It’s not that Steam is horrible or Steam sales bad, it’s just against what the site was about and betrays my DRM free principles. It’s like a friend suddenly voted for Romney after you spent years together working for Democratic causes.

I’m sure people more focused on the “indie” part feel similarly about the THQ part.

I still gave them the minimum for the soundtracks and the one game I didn’t already have (Tales of Valor) but man, this thing is just a colossal bummer when it should be an exciting development,

AndrewC says:

Super cheap games and helping charity.

Llewyn says:

It’s hard to have sympathy with your position that getting a game you didn’t have plus some bonus soundtracks for $1 is ‘a colossal bummer’.

• StingingVelvet says:

If all you care about is what you get, rather than what it means or the principles involved, then yeah I see your point.

• Guvornator says:

For the love of God. If you don’t want it, don’t buy it. Just please don’t use the phrase “understandably disappointed” when a big publisher gives you decent games for a stupidly low price. Steam isn’t even the worst thing in PC gaming, never mind the world.

What you’re basically saying is “I’m not prepared to give to charity, because of my desire to have un-DRM’d games”. Which is a pretty dodgy stance to get on your moral high horse about…

Or if you do feel that strongly, give ALL the money to charity and none to the developers.

EDIT: Ah, I see you got there ahead of me. Fair enough.

Llewyn says:

No, I would care about the principles, but you killed off any sympathy for your position by just taking advantage of getting something for almost nothing instead.

• Yglorba says:

It’s not just that it only costs $1.

I can get this bundle by donating to charity. I do not have to give THQ or the Humble Bundle guys any money.

Think about that! I donate $1 or $5 or $10 to a charity to give games to kids or to the EFF, and THQ gives me six or seven of their AAA games, at no profit to themselves.

I find it very hard to be cynical about a company that is offering to do that.

• fooga44 says:

It’s hard to give sympathy for someone who caves in the face of corporate propaganda and the erosion of gamers rights to own their own fucking games THEY PAY FOR. God the DRM loving morons make me sick.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

It betrays your ‘DRM-free principles’, and yet you still wantonly slapped down a *full dollar* to slobber over some of its contents. You seem to be more Romney than you try and give yourself credit for.

How about simply enjoying this [partly charity] bundle for what it is, rather than pointlessly over-analyzing a ‘dark side’ that really doesn’t exist?

• StingingVelvet says:

I gave it all to charity and only did it for the DRM free soundtracks. I will never play Tales of Valor and only activated it because giving it away would be worse.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

“I gave it all to charity” (ref: $1 purchase)

I can only thank you for such an (unintentionally) laugh out-loud moment there, Mother Theresa. May your (Poundstretcher-bought) halo of humility and justice shine brightly!

Also…

The point. Missed. Completely.

• StingingVelvet says:

I paid $6 so I got all the soundtracks. They aren’t worth any more than that to me. I will never, ever play Tales of Valor. How much I give to charity or do for the community is not defined by how much I pay for the latest humble bundle.

Take your arrogance and assumption somewhere else please.

• Bhazor says:

Bwa ha ha ha ha!

Thanks for that Stinging Velvet, I needed a laugh.

• abandonhope says:

So you paid THQ and HB nothing to get something, but you’re in it for the principles, eh? You’re an annoying little human being and I continue to dislike you.

• Axess Denyd says:

Romney gave $4 million to charity last year. He gave a dollar.

I think Romney is winning.

• PopeJamal says:

But Romney has probably been responsible for putting hundreds (thousands?) of people out of work by closing down companies. That negates his charitable (and tax deductible) donations in my book. Besides, what does that have to do with The Humble Bundle?

Not a god damned thing.

Anyway, I am also disappointed in this bundle, but I will probably pass on it because it serves NONE of MY primary purposes for participating in bundles (in order of importance to me):

-Does it promote gaming on Linux/Android? No. That is a priority to ME and a key reason why I participate in humble bundles. I hardly play most of these games anymore anyway.

-Does it promote the notion of DRM free game releases? No. If at all, not much. I have literally dozens of other places I can buy games with DRM and I can afford to spend more than $1 if needed. There are much fewer choices for DRM free game outlets. (Oh, and BTW, I love Steam, so don’t even try that angle either.)

-Does it give me good games? Not in my opinion. I’ve already got the “Must Have” ones in this bundle (Metro). These other titles are just “meh” in my opinion (which seems to be backed up by the fact that THQ has one foot in the poor house.

These bundles offer me nothing I NEED and not even anything I particularly WANT, so throwing money at this bundle would be yet another example of me participating in the hollow consumer culture that is so pervasive in our society. I’m trying to cut back.

“What about the children (charities)?” you say.
          They can fend for themselves. The EFF is full of lawyers who all probably make more money than I do and I don’t personally feel that children in hospitals need gameboys. I assuage my first world guilt by donating money and food to my LOCAL shelters and charities so I can avoid this particular guilt trap. Plus Childs Play was created by those tools at Penny Arcade, so screw them on principle and by association.

So look at that. I’d say it is entirely reasonable to be disappointed in this bundle without being a (complete) greedy asshole. The wonders of the world never cease!

• Yglorba says:

Romney counted his (mandatory!) tithe to his religion as a charity, though. That hardly qualifies, since 1. it’s mandatory if he considers himself a Mormon, and 2. even aside from that, donations to your religion are intended to advance a social and political cause — they’re not about giving money to the poor, they’re about spending money to make something happen. Donating money to a religion or a political party is no more charitable than spending it on a physical object.

(Of course, when you’re running for president, donations that become known to the public have a much more obvious and much more crude application — again, buying good PR is not charity.)

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

This is attacking the messenger. Who cares what the OP took advantage of or got for next to nothing. It doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that humble bundles, presumably based on principle, have always been DRM free. That is not the case with this bundle, as it just gives you a Steam key. Great games, great price, too bad Humble Bundle couldn’t stand by certain principles that some customers appreciated. Is it going to matter? I’m sure this bundle will sell just fine.

• ThinkAndGrowWitcher says:

Please avoid taking this out of context for your own commenting needs – there’s no messenger-shooting here. The OP is being ‘shot’ for the delivery of his own message, resulting from principle-based hypocrisy and extreme daftitude.

• Squishpoke says:

Heh, it’s not like Obama is any better. /american poltics

• daraujo says:

He’s a pretty cool guy!

…in the fabulous world of imagination.

• Acorino says:

Well, he is, if you can distinguish between more shades of grey than merely black and white, that is. Yet he isn’t Mr. Perfect, of course.

• Aedrill says:

I can distinguish between at least 50.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Far from Mr. Perfect…. but thankfully also far from George Bush.

• acheron says:

Don’t know why we’re arguing about this here, but: no. There is basically nothing redeeming about Obama. Other than that he proved one can win a presidential campaign entirely founded on bullshit; I guess that’s kind of a new discovery. (Usually campaigns are just 80% or so bullshit.)

But whatever; we’ll survive, and people a decade or two from now will use him as a punchline like Jimmy Carter.

• Tyranny says:

Nothing? You really can’t think of anything?

…are you a Marxist? (not the Groucho kind)

• Baines says:

Nah, most US elections in the end are bullshit combined with greed, fear, and/or hate.

Both the Democratic and Republican Parties weed out anyone actually qualified to be President, because anyone actually qualified isn’t going to appeal to the individual parties.

• kalirion says:

I dunno about this “founded entirely on bullshit” business. For me, the determining factor both times was that he was not the other guy.

• stupid_mcgee says:

Facts? None.
            Figures? Nope.
            Statistics? I don’t see any.
            Any form of metrics? Nada.
            Citations or references to anything to back up the argument? No.

Hyperbole? Check.
            Platitudes? Oh yeah!
            Ad-hominem? You betcha.
            Slippery slope? Lightly done, but it’s certainly there.

Wanna know what the qualifications for President of the USA are? Being born in the USA, living in the USA for the past 14 years, having not served more than one previous Presidential term, having never been impeached, having never incited a rebellion, and being above the age of 35. That applies to a lot of people. The qualifications for President are pretty low.

And, truthfully, you want to know what’s really wrong with American politics? Unthinking idiots like you.

• Brise Bonbons says:

“Heh, it’s not like Obama is any better. /american poltics”

Almost certainly sarcasm (I can not internet sarcasm, sorry), but as a start I could point out that one side believes women should have control over their bodies, whereas the other does things like mandate invasive medical procedures and interfere with access to basic health care.

I know the US political parties are both pretty conservative compared to the Eurozone and Canadian Left, but I have to push back against this ridiculous narrative that all US politicians are basically the same, even if it’s said in jest.

I mean, one side thinks scientists probably know what they’re talking about, the other thinks creationism can be taught as an equal alongside geology and biology.

I think the one thing Right and Left can agree on in the US is that the parties are very different indeed.

• duffers says:

‘Left’ parties across Europe especially are enacting austerity measures equal or worse than the right ones. Meanwhile, in America, they manage to galvanise a falling electoral vote on a bogus dichotomy between the dogs of hell and the ‘lesser evil’, which they’ve done every election. Funny that? Funnier is that this idea that if you let the Republicans in, women will be stopped entering abortion clinics and religious studies will replace science class in schools despite several Republican terms where nothing of the sort has happened. It’s bread and circuses shite that has no real bearing on what’s going on, lack of jobs, failing living standards, dismantling of the welfare state and the burden of sorting this mess being placed on the working class yet again. Obama isnae going to sort any of that out either. A plague on all on their houses, if voting changed owt, they’d make it illegal.

• Brise Bonbons says:

I won’t dispute that the left and right share a baseless faith in the power of Austerity, but you’re not paying attention if you can’t see the huge impact of enacted Republican policy at every level, from local government to federal obstruction.

Voter suppression, inclusion of anti-science nonsense in textbooks, enacting fetal heartbeat laws, the slashing state and local budgets… These are all things that the Left simply doesn’t do, at least in the US, and these policies have a very real impact on people.

Now, granted, the modern Left is a shadow of what it should be, but it’s fucking bonkers to argue that the Right isn’t demonstrably different – i.e. radically socially conservative and aggressively hostile to science and critical thought, and that’s just the stuff that everyone can agree on. Shall we talk climate science, tax policy, environmental and industrial regulations? How about inclusion of women and minorities in government leadership roles?

No matter how spineless the modern Left is, they’re still demonstrably different than the Right on a whole host of topics. That austerity is not one of them is ridiculous, but doesn’t invalidate the point.

• duffers says:

Oh wow, the Democrats are going to lay off thousands of workers, give out pay freezes and cuts, dick about with another war, carry on the failed one still hanging about, claim there’s no money when companies are recording massive profits and regrettably inform everyone they just have to tighten their belts…but at least they have women in government doing it, who realise global warming is real.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Well I’m gutted that there’s no Mac versions of anything in this bundle, but I don’t think that takes away that this is a great bundle and to be encouraged. There’ll always be Gog.

• Narzhul says:

If you actually thought it “betrayed” your drm-free principles, you should’ve just skipped out on it. There will be other humble bundles with drm-free games for you to stick to.

You yourself chose to betray your own principles, don’t blame other people when you did the very same thing.

• Rhuhuhuhu says:

I’m on your side that I think it’s not very much in the spirit of the other bundles. I also think its a bit of false advertising. They tell you that you can buy all those games for a cheap price, but there is a trick. If you own any of those games already, you won’t get the extra copy that they advertise!

It’s a nice offer, but it doesn’t offer anything that I don’t already have, so I’m out for this one.

Lim-Dul says:

It’s not a trick. Previously you were getting infinite non-Steam/non-Desura copies of games because they were downloadable from the website itself.
        Here, only Steam codes are offered and this is how Steam has always worked – whatever bundle you buy (even during sales) will not give you extra copies of games you have in your account.

• pyroj says:

Ive always seen the message telling me, I wont receive extra copies, and I have from 2 separate humble bundles, one for torchlight and the other I forget. I was able to gift them both away so… <_<

• El_Emmental says:

Context:

- THQ is going under real fast.

- THQ published several good/interesting games.

- Several developers rely on THQ for their current development project(s).

- I haven’t heard anything too bad about THQ employees.

These people are in a serious vortex of uncertainty, might be looking for a job in the next 6 months, will certainly fall down to barely-above minimum wage soon.

The guys at Humble Bundle told them they could help them, by trying something that was never tried before: a Pay-What-You-Want bundle with expensive AAA games.

The 5M they’ll likely make by the end of the bundle will help pay the bills, pay the salaries, reassure external investors wishing to buy THQ.

Sure, the Humble Bundle “reputation”, values, took a little hit. But they’re helping out a group of people in serious trouble, in an industry where everyone else see it as an opportunity to crush their opponents, hire these poor people at intern/students rates.

To me, Humble Bundle is doing a dirty thing, but it’s the right thing.

Sure, you could sit on the sidewalk and laugh, as THQ executives empty the safes and run away, and employees with kids start hunting for IT slave jobs. You could say “ha ! you got what you deserved !”, take the piss at that “evil publisher”.

Or you could just not be a d* and lend a hand to a publisher who funded great games (minus Homefront).

• Syra says:

I’m with you buddy its a real win win. A masterful piece of goodwill generation for THQ, certainly Jason rubin’s work.

Don’t forget that rubin has a bonus clause in his contract if he can raise the share price of the conpany to a certain level by the end of this year too… So it’s quite cleverly calculated too.
        Hell, when I got the email I immediately wished I had some shares!

• wererogue says:

Sanest response yet. It is possible to be sad that this is the first DRMed, big-name, Windows-only bundle, and yet recognize that Humble are doing a good thing for people in need.

• soco says:

Would it have been nice to get DRM free and have the bundle be multi-platform, of course.

Is it a good deal where you can donate to charity and get some great games, YES!

The thing that gets me is that those that are complaining about this bundle will be the first to say something like “I have all the sympathy in the world for those who lost their jobs” when THQ goes under a year or two from now.

• DClark says:

Yes, when I saw the bundle I thought to myself that it’s a bit different compared to what they normally do, but I shudder to think that should THQ not be able to pay the bills at the end of the day we’ll have the likes of EA, Activision, and Ubisoft drooling over the thought of snapping up THQ franchises for cheap.

I don’t have any problem supporting the THQ Bundle if it helps keep those other publishers’ grubby hands off THQ franchises.

• fooga44 says:

The reality is I agree with some of what you say but because the purchasers supported THQ in its time of need it owes the customers DRM free versions of these games. It would be a sign of sanity for them to go DRM free on all their games in the future as well and either hook up with humble bundle / GOG.COM instead of promoting drm bs.

• El_Emmental says:

Removing DRM is not that easy, and it IS a risk-heavy decision. You need to discuss it with shareholders, with the top decision board and everything.

Here, we have a bundle of 4 AAA games available for a single dollar, and another AAA (SR3) available for 5 more bucks.

Regarding the “risk” involved, I think we reached a new high regarding AAA publishers, personally I thought it was an april joke of some sort, THQ pulling a pay-what-you-want with their most popular games (and not just secondary, small budget, games) like that is a new record.

I don’t think they could *also* remove the DRM at the same time, even if it would make perfect technical sense, as all these games are cracked for months/years now. It would have been nice, but I don’t think THQ is in a position of taking such uncertain risks with no clear reward (= the vast majority of people don’t care about DRM like Steam).

• Mordsung says:

Living by principle is a terrible way to live one’s life.

Things like principles, or morals, act like a way that the person can avoid rationally considering each individual situation in its own light.

Living by a code means that you don’t think about certain decisions, you just do what your code says you do and carry on, regardless of it was the superior way to solve an issue or problem.

Every situation is different and nuanced. What is wrong one time is right another time.

• sinister agent says:

“Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.”

• Emeraude says:

Universal relativism is nice but overall limited.

Blindly following one’s principles may be bad, but when “rationally considering each individual situation in its own light”, you’re still going to have to fall on rules and axiomatics – on experience-built principles – to judge.

• Lanfranc says:

“Principles are boring, cheap games are awesome!” [/T-Rex]

• LennyLeonardo says:

“Each decision should be analyzed rationally, unemotionally, without principle or morals so as to come to the best possible solution to a problem or answer to a question.”

“best”? What’s that mean?

• Mordsung says:

The heat death of the universe will spell the end of all human life, and life, and suns, and planets, and everything.

Hence best is whatever leads us to a possible way of stopping it, or escaping it.

For, in the end, our common doom connects us all.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Oh, ok.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

congratulations.

you’re insane.

tomeoftom says:

But you can’t stop it; it’s an intrinsic law of not just this universe but /any possible one/. IMO, the better shared objective would be to learn all we can about the universe – if I’m going to lose I’d rather know the rules of the game first. Physics, astronomy, space travel – all other life should support that or produce art. Art ‘n’ science, bro. It’s all we can do.

• kalirion says:

No problem is insoluble in all conceivable circumstances.

The Singularity will provide.

• Mctittles says:

So in your infinite wisdom you deem the “heat death” is guaranteed to happen? Not possibly the big freeze, big compression, never ending creation/expansion, multi-dimensional crossover or any of the thousands of other speculations on the Universes End?

• Skabooga says:

Keep emotion in as part of your decision-making process. Emotion is the mechanism by which we ascribe value to things. Also, there’s nothing wrong with having principles as long as they are correctly subordinated to each other, much like Asimov’s ‘Rules of Robotics’.

• Spider Jerusalem says:

if you thought that the humble bundle servers could handle hundreds of thousands of people downloading this many giant titles for perpetuity, you should only feel betrayed by your own ability to reason.

• LintMan says:

As I see it, the humble bundles were generally about:

1) Pay what you want
      2) Charity
      3) Indie
      4) DRM-free
      5) Multi-platform

Those are all great things, but in order of importance, that’s how I would number them. Obviously, this fails on numbers 3-5. But:
      - THQ is no fat cat Activision or EA. It is struggling and is selling these AAA games at indie price levels: Steam prices: Darksiders – $50, SR3 – $40, COH bundle – $50, Metro2033 – $20, RF:A – $20 and you can get them all for $6. So I think they deserve a pass on this one.

- Not offering DRM-free versions stinks, but realize a few things:
      a) These are AAA games and are likely FAR bigger than most indie games. For sure, SR3 is a MASSIVE download that would strain the humble servers.
      b) The games are likely all tied in to Steam not just for DRM but also for Steamworks multiplayer, achievements, etc. Pulling that out, replacing lost functionality, testing and QAing it all is not quick or cheap.
      c) If they are seeking a white knight/outside investors, them doing a bold move like removing the DRM from what are still a few premium AAA games might potentially fighten those inveestors off.

- This deal is likely only happening because THQ is sinking fast. They don’t have Mac or linux versions of these games (AFAIK), and it’s too late to ask them to do it now.

So, all things considered, Humble could provide a fantastic deal for its customers, while also helping one of the more innovative publishers (which is also struggling), while ALSO helping charity – at the cost of compromising its agenda a bit. Or, Humble could guard its “principles” and reject THQ. For me, this is a no-brainer.

• Moraven says:

They originally never had Steam keys. They made it a feature once many asked for it.

I would be curious how many of their steam keys get redeemed.

3. SquareWheel says:

Based on the FAQ I’d say this DRM/big publisher deal is a one-off thing:

Q: Why is this bundle different from all other bundles?
    A: THQ Bundle is not the new direction of the company, it’s one more bundle thing we’re doing among many other bundles, like Indie Bundles, eBooks, Music, Android, etc. It won’t impede our efforts with other established bundle types, this is just a cool experiment that we’re excited to be trying out.

I would hope they’re not giving up on DRM-free and cross-platform support, because they’re one of the best sources for games for Linux gamers right now. I have faith in the humbum guys though.

Surreal moment in this bundle: Moving the slider all the way towards a big publisher and away from charity. What have I become.

• Narzhul says:

Nothing wrong with that. I gave it all away to THQ. No sense in pretending it was “for charity” when I knew full well that I wanted the product, and they should be compensated.

If I wanted to donate to charity, I’d donate directly to charity, not because I want something in return.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

I donated to charity…. by moving the slider all the way up for THQ

elderman says:

The bundle’s doing pretty well at the moment, so it may be a one-off experiment worth repeating from the Humble Bundle folks’ point of view.

Personally, this bundle evokes contradictory responses from me. I’m always glad to see Humble Bundle doing well. However, THQ, Steam-, and Windows-only promotions feel like unwelcome guests in my insular indie gaming world (Lalalalala, I can’t hear you talk about modern AAA games!). On the third hand, this is a Humble Bundle I’m not tempted to buy (not on my platform of choice, not my kind of games), which is a bit of a relief as my wallet and I are suffering promotion fatigue.

I guess I agree that this doesn’t change how I think of Humble Bundle, but I do worry that they may find the lure of high revenue for less trouble (no porting woes) with Windows games hard to resist in the future leading them to deprecate the coolest parts of the Humble Bundle Formula.

• enobayram says:

As a software developer, I find it sad that in this day and age, we’re still talking about “porting”. Who’s still STUPID enough to start a platform dependent project? With so many efficient abstraction layers, cross platform libraries, engines etc. I don’t get it…

• Rich says:

Who? A depressingly large number of people, that’s who.

Csirke says:

That’s just silly. Did you read the Valve Linux pieces for example? http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

Using an abstraction layer doesn’t magically solve your platform woes. You might be able to run your program on all platforms with it, but there’s still going to be considerable engineering work involved in bugfixing and optimizing for each platform. So if the only thing you do is go for the multi-platform libraries, and then optimize for your home platform without putting in the extra work, all other platforms will get a slow, bad product. Plus, you already had to work a bit more, because (surprise!) doing stuff in a cross-platform way is more constraining. Game design’s need for speed makes it usually go for low level solutions that are by nature just not portable.

So I am happy about the indie bundles cross platform nature, but where the whole project is done by 2-5 people, the extra work needed for that is much smaller, especially since they usually use simpler graphics, so they need to optimize less. I don’t expect AAA studios will go for it until it can be shown to be economically profitable for them to put in the 1-2 extra programmers for the job.

• Bhazor says:

Not to mention Source games on Mac ran like crap at release and took another six months to get even close to Windows performance.

• InternetBatman says:

If the default payment spit between this and other bundles is any indication, THQ would already have around $700k more in sales for mac and Linux each, probably going out to a full million by the end. More if you they can count the money given to charity on their taxes. If you figure it takes six programmers at 70k – 90k year six months to port an engine (which seems a bit low), they make a small bit of profit from the initial ports – a few hundred thousand at the very most most.

However, that puts them as the largest fish in the extremely small steam on Linux pool, makes an easy port for Darksiders II and provides a new market to sell SR3 DLC to.

[edit] I had no idea they used so many unique engines. Every game (except company of heroes trio) uses a different engine. To do them all it would probably be around $1.3m.

• wererogue says:

Several of these games (Red Faction and Saints Row, at the bare minimum) are already multiplatform games, with a cross-platform architecture. The studios will have most likely used tools and libraries that they developed themselves for previous products to make developing for XBox360, PS3 and Windows convenient and efficient. But there’s *still* a massive overhead to adding a platform once the game is complete.

In the end, the #1 rule of high-performance software building is “know your hardware”.

• InternetBatman says:

To be fair the Geo-Mod and UE3 engine had their cross platform capabilities worked out a long time ago.

• Armitage says:

Those tools didnt always exist, and the developers who learned the trade before they existed, don’t want to learn a new framework or engine. Also, I’m sure you know its not as simple as slap on a new engine.

• djbriandamage says:

Welcome to Super Splash Brothers for Windows! Press X to continue.

4. Legion23 says:

It´s kind of a nice idea but has some problems. Considering that Saints Row 3 is region locked and I never bought it for that reason for example. Would the version in this bundle even work for me? So I have to pass again on buying. Seriously THQ I would love to buy your games but you don´t make it easy for some of us.

• neolith says:

I’ve seen several people claim that they cannot play SaintsRow from the bundle here in Germany due to the region lock.

The lock and the Steam only thing make this the first humble bundle I am actually disappointed by…

• AIAndy says:

Looks like they fixed that issue for people buying after a certain time:

• Legion23 says:

Just read the same on steamunpowered. The guys at Humble Bundle pledge to fix it when you email them but I assume you still get the region specific and censored version of the game which you only can play multiplayer with people who have the same cut version.

• neolith says:

Thanks for the info, guys.

“I assume you still get the region specific and censored version of the game which you only can play multiplayer with people who have the same cut version.”
          Wait – not only do I get a censored version, but it also prevents me from playing with people having the ordinary one? That’s news to me.
          Bummer – I would’ve bought the bundle for just SR as I already own the other ones, but I have no interest in getting such a castrated version of the game. So back to square one I guess – I am still disappointed. Just for a different reason now. :(

• D3xter says:

You can still use a VPN to buy from Humble Bundle and get a Key for another region and unlock SR3 on Steam doing the same. I unlocked my Retail UK copy back in the day through VPN.

• Emeraude says:

You know, that’s one of those things I really dislike about Steam-like overlays.

Need to ask, can you nowadays buy multiple versions of the same game on Steam ?

(For example, can you have access to a censored and non censored version of the game from the same account ?)

• elsparko says:

No actually you can’t use a VPN to buy from HB. I did just try via a russian gateway. Humble Bundle doesn’t use geo ip apparently. As I now have two (needlessly) censored versions of SR3 I think they ask paypal for the country of your shipping address.

I can not even pay without an paypal account as my german mastercard is somehow not “supported”. I would have prefered a warning like “we do not understand the german laws and therefore will give you a censored version: [accept] [cancel]“. The main reason I bought the bundle in the first place was my hope to get an international (= uncensored) key for SR3.

• Acorino says:

dito, elsparko.

5. lizzardborn says:

I said it in other places too. I think that this being steam only is mostly of the poor condition THQ is in – they don’t have the resources to prepare and test DRM free games and ports are unthinkable. Also just throwing steam keys is costing them nothing. And I honestly prefer whatever money they have at the moment to go to CoH and Metro.

I don’t think this is a sellout or something like that.

• f1x says:

Sellout? seriously, ain’t that such a childish concept? I dont care if they sell out or not as long as they keep offering awesome bundles, you can still give all your money to charity or to the Humble Bundle team so cant see any problem
      and the games.. the games!

The Steam part is understandable, its a matter of time or resources, of course it would’ve been better without any sort of DRM but still looking at the games included, I gladly accept Steam

• lizzardborn says:

Well you could have checked the comments section in ars or hn, to see the amount of sellout accusations. How dare they work with publisher. Move away from their roots. Experiment. Try something new. I think this is an awesome bundle that is great value for the money. And it is going quite strong for now – so the market have spoken.

6. Commander Gun says:

“Granted, THQ’s seen better days, and – given its boldness with interesting games – it’s a cause worthy of support. But the Humble Bundle’s clearly expanded its borders – not to mention picked up restrictions like DRM – so I can’t say I’m entirely sure where it draws the line anymore.”

How about you ask them? I mean, RPS does do some interviews and such right? I’m sure they like to answer some question from RPS :)

• The Random One says:

I agree! You guys should go and journ it up!

Sometimes I forget that when I call RPS a glorified blog I’m being facetious.

7. luukdeman111 says:

I don’t understand the negativity about this, yeah sure, it might be a large company but as long as it offers great games for whatever you want to pay, what’s the difference between THQ and an indie company from a consumer standpoint?

I honestly can’t imagine anyone being disadvantaged by this deal…

• f1x says:

Exactly, this bundle is simply amazing, when I recieved the email from Humble Bundle yesterday I had to read it twice to believe it

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

Yep, I already have all the games but got the bundle anyway just to give the humble guys a thumbs up.

phlebas says:

It’s not so much the choice of company – THQ have made some interesting games and people seem quite happy to support them. It’s that Humble Bundles so far have made a big point of being multiplatform and opposed to DRM on principle. Doing something new is an experiment; doing something that goes directly against your previously declared principles bothers people.
      That said, it is indeed a bargain price for some good games. I’m just a bit disappointed at Humble going with DRM.

• ZephyrSB says:

Which is odd, because one of the main perks of supporting Humble Indie for me has always been getting games I’ve already bought DRM-free direct from the Indies to activate on Steam.

phlebas says:

Conversely, I often use the bundles (or GOG sales, for that matter) to get DRM-free versions of games I already have on Steam.

• luukdeman111 says:

Alright, that might be the only small thing against them, eventhough I don’t understand why people would dislike steam. For me it is the only DRM that gives more than it takes away…

8. AngoraFish says:

Best. Bundle. Ever.

9. Ajsman says:

Well as for the DRM free part, most people I know are actually somewhat disappointed when you can’t activate games on Steam. So I think they will not care if Humble Bundle betrayed their DRM free principles.

But I can see why some people don’t like it.

• gwathdring says:

I’m trying to think of a humble bundle game I bought that I don’t have both a DRM free copy AND a steam copy of … there are a few, but they are not many.

I get really confused when people find DRM-free to be a downgrade. I mean … I like Steam, too, but I don’t think it’s that hard to keep backups on a hard-drive. I guess that could get expensive, scaling up your hard-drive every so many years … I’m sort of in a tight spot space-wise right now and unwilling to spend my way out of it. Huh. Oh well. Steam’s cool, but I’ll always prefer DRM-free.

• Axess Denyd says:

I like having a copy on Steam because it’s a much more reliable archive than keeping it on a hard drive at home, or physical media. I bought a couple games on steam after losing license keys or running over a disc with my chair. I have also lost many hard drives over the years (lost as in “they were destroyed”, not “misplaced”).

Steam should be around, if not indefinitely, then at least longer than I’ll be interested in any of the games that are on it.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

You do know you can get all games you ever purchased from humble bundles through the humble bundle website?

• Axess Denyd says:

That’s true, but I just meant that I like having a remote copy more than having a backup locally.

darkChozo says:

The obvious reason is convenience. A Steam game is about the easiest thing in the world to manage; installation is one-click (well, two, but close enough), patching is automatic, everything is effectively backed up, and everything happens in the background without the user having to pay much attention to it. That’s a valuable service in itself, and the downside (vendor lock-in, some degree of Internet dependence) is negligible for the majority of people. Not having a Steam version means that you lose all that, which is annoying for some people (Personally, I mostly prefer Steam versions but don’t care that much overall).

10. Inigo says:

The best part of this has been watching people on twitter shrieking about how this has somehow ruined Humble Bundles FOREVER.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

That’s nothing. This morning I didn’t boil the kettle properly, and now COFFEES ARE RUINED FOREVER!

• Gnoupi says:

This, and the eternal whining of Linux gamers. Quite amusing.

• rustybroomhandle says:

And they have every right to. Humble has always been a reliable go-to for Linux support, and indeed Humble has been a champion in getting ports done. Can you blame them for worrying that perhaps this small concession might perhaps start to go away? The reactions might be strong and irrational, but it’s not without reason.

• El_Emmental says:

I thought Linux users were more aware of what’s currently going on in the video game industry, and how THQ is really in trouble.

I guess the fanboyism is stronger than awareness and knowledge.

• wererogue says:

It is possible to be grateful, hopeful, worried, impressed, inspired and disappointed at the same time, in different amounts, by the same thing.

I agree that RUINED FOREVER is a stupid reaction, but there are plenty of people just saying that it’s a bit sad to see Windows-only, DRM-only games on Humble – which it is, as well as being incredible to see Humble swallowing their pride (I suppose they’d have to – it’s in their name) to help out THQ.

• Unaco says:

You were saying, Gnoupi…

• rustybroomhandle says:

Unaco, my thoughts on the thing are here http://warpgate9.com/humble-thq-bundle/ and you will see no whining there. No need to be churlish about it.

• Unaco says:

I don’t know… Sounds a bit whiny to me.

• rustybroomhandle says:

That’s just your bad home-schooling literacy level causing you to be confused.

• El_Emmental says:

either edited out, or originally not that whiny imo.

“As far as publishers go, THQ ranks fairly low on the evil-o-meter, so with that I am hoping this works out for them.”

If the whiny part is that “Good or bad, things are not how they used to be”, I’ve seen way worse in terms of “booh, they RUINED IT FOREVER”.

• Unaco says:

It was the “this is the opposite of everything the Humble Bundle stands for” part that I felt was a bit whiny. And in his message above where rustybroomhandle says that irrational responses are not without reason… or, all of the whining is justified.

@rustyf*cknut

It’s also quite funny that you accuse me of having a low literacy level, and yet you claim that irrational responses are not without reason. Do you know what irrational means? Without rationality or reason, generally. Let me guess… old school, new school, home school, shit… you didn’t even go to school, did you?

11. flang says:

The Steam requirement is a little distressing, but they’re not exactly hiding it from us. It’s right there in a big red-bannered warning at the top of the page. As long as they stick to their word and continue to offer DRM-free bundles at their usual pace, I’m fine with this. Everyone knows the situation THQ is in right now.

That said, I imagine I’d be pretty ticked if they start making Origin- or UPlay-required bundles next.

• Godwhacker says:

Well, if you want to pirate it the DRM free version is already available. Steam is DRM, yes, but given that you can re-install your games at any time, on any computer, and at no cost, it’s very nearly as good as just keeping them on an external hard-drive.

• AngoraFish says:

Also, never need to patch anything ever again. Tell me you can get that with pirate versions.

• gwathdring says:

Only with some damn near super-human script-fu.

• MaXimillion says:

You can for most of these games, since they’re certainly not getting any more patches in the future.

• Emeraude says:

AM I the only one left that actually hates automated patching ?

• Narzhul says:

Probably. I certainly as hell am not going to manually look for patches for hundreds of games after using Steam.

phlebas says:

I don’t know about hate, but I do miss Zombie Michael Jackson.

• Emeraude says:

Then again, I still read patch notes before choosing to install them, and manuals before playing games.

Damn I feel… “old” isn’t the right term… Disconnected. I’m really just a fringe case nowadays I guess. No more part of the main community of players.

• flang says:

Except there’s also a lack of privacy for those who care about that (not so much with Steam as other services, but still), plus you still are dependent on Steam itself to play. It’s not a big deal to me, but it definitely makes a difference. I still prefer pay-once, keep-forever DRM-free games to Steam or anything else, and I imagine so do most other HIB fans.

12. HadToLogin says:

It’s quite surprising you expected Steamworks games and especially Metro – game that had (have?) always-online DRM called “only Steam-Cloud Saves” to suddenly not use Steam.

And really, so much hate for getting 4 great games even for $1? Just because of Steam?

13. TechnicalBen says:

If they had a heart they’d add HW2 to the list or even their Good games. ;)

PS, I know HW2 was not quite by them, they bought the studios out after it was released.

14. NathaI3 says:

The only games i don’t own already (due to steam sales, particularly the THQ publisher pack) are the 2 CoH expansions and the new red faction game. And i don’t really have any interest in them. But i like the idea of humble bundle having more publisher bundles, as i’m not invested in the DRM free or indie parts of it at all, and basically just want cheap games (hey at least i’m honest)

15. HaVoK308 says:

So nice of Jason Ruben to raise the Average with his $1000 donation…I wonder what slider he used.

• LintMan says:

“So nice of Jason Ruben to raise the Average with his $1000 donation…”

How dastardly! I can’t imagine how much he raised the average with that unseemly donation!

But wait, we can calculate his foul deed…
      With his donation:
      Total: $2,479,051.31
      Purchases #: 435,266
      Average: $5.69548

Without his donation:
      Total: $2,478,001.31
      Purchases #: 435,265
      Average: $5.69308

So he shifted the average by a whopping $0.0024! Ouch my wallet! Thanks for nothing, Mr Ruben!

16. BurningPet says:

Who cares about this being non-indie?! THQ has real men working there, real families, real kids who are dependant on the publicity this can give to the new company of heroes (2).

This is a company on the verge of a bunkrapcy, a company which produced my second favourite RTS up to date (Men of War being the first) and i sure do wanna see them live through to produce even more good games.

its a good deal, no, let me rephrase, its a sdeal (steal deal) and i insta bought it.

BubuIIC says:

I don’t care about Indie or not, but I do care about this not being multi-platform and not offering a Steam free version to download as a backup.

17. Prime says:

Well somebody seems to like this: “Total Payments = $2 million and rising….”

18. Teovald says:

The removal of the EFF is a downer for me.
    I have nothing against Child’s Play but their action is meaningless in the grand scheme of things…

• Hoaxfish says:

I’m happier supporting the EFF more than Child’s Play, but I’m not sure the EFF would feel happy about being linked to a Windows/Steam/DRM-only bundle

Buzko says:

… said the commenter on a news site about electronic entertainment. What. The. Fuck.

Child’s Play makes the mundane horror of hospitals a little less mundane and horrifying for sick children. What have you done lately?

• Bhazor says:

I volunteered at a Childrens hospital.
        It was much more effective.

I hate childs play because its such a blatant shield. Even the creators said it was basically something to make the industry look slightly less shit whilst going through a bunch of lawsuits. Its the equivalent of a politician being accused of having an affair and then visiting a hospital to say “Look everyone! Look at how great I am! You can’t criticise me because I’m helping kids! If you criticise me then you want these children to be operated on without aneasthetic! You disgust me! Here I am helping these kids! Think of the CHILDREN!!!!”.

• LintMan says:

“I hate childs play because its such a blatant shield. Even the creators said it was basically something to make the industry look slightly less shit whilst going through a bunch of lawsuits. Its the equivalent of a politician being accused of having an affair and then visiting a hospital to say “Look everyone! Look at how great I am!””

Huh? The creators of Child’s Play are Penny Arcade, a web comic. They created the charity because the press was demonizing GAMERS, not the gaming industry. PA wanted to show that gamers are not what the media’s stupid sterotype says they are and they could be a force for good. It has nothing to do with game industry corporate whitewashing any more than any other types of corporations donating to other types of charities.

“For what effect it does it is ridiculously expensive. For the price of a console you could have their parents stay in a hotel near the hospital for a week. I think I know which would bring more comfort to 5 year old kid.”

Probably more like 2-3 nights or less at most hotels in the big cities where these hospitals are located. And that console gets to be used by dozens of children over the course of several years. Not such a clear-cut choice.

• El_Emmental says:

Child’s Play put an end to the “video games are for asocial psycho murderer” bullcrap, and also helped bring gaming in hospitals. I cannot say how thankful I am to that organization.

However you have to understand that Child’s Play is really acting like a NGO there: it is providing healthcare service (nb: a depressed, inactive, isolated patient will be less likely to heal/get better – it is a much important part of a health care system than most people think) in a rich country fully capable of providing that. It would cost less than $5 per citizen to fully equip all hospitals with video game entertainment systems.

Meanwhile, the EFF is a providing a counter-lobbying service for all Internet citizens that no government or state will ever do – it’s not even down to being able to fund such service, it’s simply that, fundamentally, the current system doesn’t make such counter-lobbying possible for governments or states.

• Bhazor says:

“Child’s Play put an end to “Video games are for asocial psycho murderer” bullcrap”

No it didn’t. They’re still making hyperviolent, tacky, hollow, thought less garbage. It’s just now they can hold up a picture of a dying brat and say they’re a socially responsible company. Look at the trash the industry sells to kids now compared to the games of the PS1 or Snes generations. Back then the best games were designed for kids with bright vibrant colours and PG rated violence (lots of guns, not a drop of blood). Now the only kids games (bar the Nintendo stable) are terrible tv tie ins. Everything else in the mainstream is aimed at horny teenagers. Instead of taking a long look at its self and questioning why they have to rely on titilation and violence and what affect it could be having, the industry just put up a smoke screen and forgot all about it.

• mondomau says:

“It’s just now they can hold up a picture of a dying brat ”

Not cool bro, not cool at all.

• Whosi says:

Yeah, really. It makes you wonder what he/she/it volunteered to do at the hosipital, spit in their food?

• Bhazor says:

Funnily enough being seriously ill doesn’t magically cure you from being an arsehole. Most kids are just kids, some are brats. This is as true in a hospital as it is in a playground.

One ten year old boy on dialysis had once threatened his mother with a knife when she wouldn’t let his friend stay over (this before he was diagnosed), he treated his parents like crap and he has attacked several other child patients. My friend also told me about a thirteen year old who had been in the hospital a couple years earlier who had been injured trying to physically attack a girl.

If me calling a kid a brat is offensive to you. You don’t know many kids.

• mondomau says:

Nice back peddling,

Buzko says:

I’m not sure I understand what you’re saying. Child’s Play is a Non Government Organisation. The fact that it is working in rich countries (and not-so-rich, apparently they’re in Egypt now) doesn’t change that. It is trying to deal with an existing need.

And I really don’t understand the lines about states not being able to lobby for “internet citizens” under the current system, or changing the system from the “outside”. How is Child’s Play more beholden to The Man than the EFF?

I guess the phrase “the grand scheme of things” bugs me. There’s always a better place to put one’s effort. One could argue that anything that doesn’t try to deal with the explosion of the sun or the heat death of the universe is meaningless, in the grand scheme of things.

• Bhazor says:

Not to mention the statement
            ” $5 per citizen to fully equip all hospitals with video game entertainment systems.”

First lets remove non tax payers. Now I can’t be bothered looking up all the statistics but lets say 66% are tax payers. That’s over 200,000,000 people. $5 each means that it would cost $1,000,000,000.

I hope hospitals could find a better use for that cash injection.

• El_Emmental says:

Well, I didn’t said “the grand scheme of things” (Teovald did), I was simply putting things into perspective for Buzko, explaining *what* could have led Teovald to say this, and why it wasn’t just “hospitals don’t matter”.

I said it, and I’ll say it again, Child’s Play is one of the most brilliant idea in the meta aspect of gaming of the last 10 years, and I really love what they’re doing. I don’t know how much money I gave to them through the bundles and other events organized with them listed as supported charities.

However, as I said the EFF and Child’s Play aren’t providing the same services to humanity, and it is the same debate regarding NGOs helping the local populations in Africa, Asia and other continents.

Some NGOs are focusing on providing water, food and basic health care to as much people possible (especially when there is millions of refugees), while other NGOs are focusing on setting up a local infrastructure (through logistic, expertise, training, microcredit, etc) for the long-term.

Both are vital and are saving millions of lives. However, sadly, the world and the way societies work, the former type of NGOs, emergency and “direct” service ones, are directly being exploited by the system.

The results are catastrophics: when a famine happens in a country, sack of rices/cereals are sent to reduce the casualties to the thousands (and not letting them reach the millions). But what happen next is pretty ugly.

Soldiers are capturing the food aid, slowly selling it to the dying population (payment made in anything, including children/men for the army, women for forced prostitution (aka state-endorsed rape)), and also selling it to nearby countries/regions (who will sell it back to the starving population at high price) in exchange of guns, greatly helping the current government/armed group to stay in power.

Meanwhile, all the food-producing infrastructure is destroyed in that country/region, because the war lords and foreign merchants took over the food market.

Example:
            - locusts storm destroyed the crops.
            - farmers are ruined, whole country is starving.
            - NGOs/states are sending in food.
            - army/armed rebels capture that food, slowly sell it to keep the price high (and force people to join them to simply survive), thousands of people die from starvation.
            - famine ends (other types of food now available during that season), but malnutrition will make more victims.
            - the food market is constantly affected by the war lords selling their old stocks as the food price slowly go down.
            - meanwhile, the few farmers who survived the locusts, and all the farmers who planted new crops right after the locusts storm, can’t recoup the cost of the locusts storm and are really struggling to set up an efficient food-producing infrastructure…
            - … resulting in a new famine the next year, as locusts come back again. War lords steal food again, etc…

NGOs providing services that *should* be done by the state, are perpetuating the current flawed system and actively preventing it from evolving. It is the saddest thing about NGOs, but that’s what is happening.

Once you start sending food:
            - you need to send troops to prevent war lords from stealing it
            - you then need a food distribution infrastructure
            - so you need civil servants
            - so you need taxes to pay them
            - then you need a judicial system when they (or the police, or troops) steal the food and sell it at higher price
            - then you need a nation-wide food-producing project, with 0% loans for farmers (and make sure no hedge-funds bank is involved, as speculation will destroy the entire reconstruction)
            - but then you need education to handle such bigger infrastructure
            - then you need a middle-class, being able to afford such education
            - then that middle-class will be against war
            - and will also ask the government to renegotiate the deals for the oil, ores and other ressources the Europe/US/China are extracting from the country

To prevent famine, you need to build a state. Building a state will prevent you from bullying it that easily. So, just send rice sacks in front of the cameras and watch people starve away.

So the oil/ores stays affordable, so the oil/ores companies keep making huge profits and won’t force a government change, so the price at the gas pump stays “affordable” (as in, no riots in the streets), so citizens stay quiet.

This is why I have mixed feelings when NGOs are asking you to donate $10/year to “Help Africa”, when you know it’s not gonna actually help these populations in the long-term.

In a perfect world, states should ask me to pay $1000/year (even more if I’m rich) to put an end to Africa’s exploitation – but they’ll never do that, and I’ll never trust them enough for that.

And who wants to gave up on their car entirely (yay public transport) and +50% price on their computer (mostly made of ores and chemicals) anyway ?

Regarding Child’s Play, they’re doing a good thing, but it’s turning something that should imperatively be a public service into a charity-based “extra”. That’s why *some people* might prefer donating to the long-term NGOs.

Personally, I’m cool with both of these people: they’re trying to make the world a better place, it’s just that they’re not going through the same path.

• Teovald says:

“Child’s Play is patching up a crack in the system, the EFF is improving the system from the outside.”
          Thank you. my point really.

Child’s Play is picking up the ball where the US government dropped it (the US Healthcare system is in a ridiculously bad state). It is a valuable service but how exactly is CP changing anything here ?

I tend to only help NGO that really address issues, not just patch things up, that’s all.

• InternetBatman says:

Same here. Childs play provides a nice ameliorative affect, but I think the EFF is an extremely important organization.

• Emeraude says:

One is patching to symptoms and structural byproducts, the other is trying to address underlying principles. Both have different fields though, and even if I clearly favor one other the other, I don’t really see a point in begrudging the good each brings.

• Kaira- says:

EFF not being a donatable charity in this bundle might have something to do with THQ supporting SOPA.

Shar_ds says:

Gave money to charity and got Tales of Valor for free (and some other games). That’s good enough for me!

20. Spoon Of Doom says:

I already own Company of Heroes and Saints Row, but I probably would have picked up Red Faction in the inevitable Steam christmas sale anyway, and I’ve been somewhat interested in Metro for quite a while. Judging by the demo, Darksiders is not quite up my alley and nothing I would have purchased for full or even half price, but I’ll gladly take it as a bonus to those games and give it another try. Awesome bundle for my money.

Wait, you mean I get soundtracks on top of that as well? And I can support one of the very few publishers which has interesting games and which I actually like, but which is slightly in trouble financially? I would pump a lot of money into this, if I didn’t have to worry about paying, food, rent and christmas gifts for relatives and such. Went for how much I could and put that slider all up to THQ.

21. Ovno says:

But I bought all these as the THQ bundle from steam ages ago, I think…..

22. phenom_x8 says:

SOLD, Give all to THQ (with some tip for HB), may it help them finishing Metro 2034, JC 3, SR 4,DS 3, … I think they need more charity than anything else

and homeworld 3, CoH 2, DoW 3, Space Marine 3, WWE 14 (ah, I hope that series get a PC port)…

Wow, imagine how many great games they had, It’s a shame if they trully died! And this bundle clearly reminded us of it!

Also Red Faction, I hope they’re back to their Guerilla root.

23. Askeladd says:

I already have all those games. I don’t need two licenses of the same game and I’m not obligated to save a company that went into financial distress.

• DaWalrus says:

I bought the full bundle even though I have played all of them and have most of them on my Steam acc.
      No one is obliged to help THQ, but I personally directed all of my money to them because I enjoy their games and would like to keep playing them in the future.

I’ll probably gift the surplus games to my friends.

• wererogue says:

I don’t feel obligated to save THQ. I would rather like to see Relic, Volition et al continue to be successful and be able to work the way they like, and it seems like THQ have been able to do that for them.

24. Hoaxfish says:

well, I’d certainly say this makes THQ more humbler than that EA “pay what we say” bundle

25. Xaromir says:

Don’t bother if you are from Germany – you’ll only get the censored version of SR3.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

That’s a shame really. I hate this censorship in Germany. I imported the UK version of Saints Row for my Xbox (yeah I know, I’m a dirty consolero), and was dismayed to discover that I could neither use the coop DLC code that game with the game nor any of the other DLC. Hell, probably the DLC wouldn’t even work if I bought it! Region locking and censorship can really ruin games. I mean, SR3 was fun enough in single player, but I can only imagine the blast it would have been to play through it with my buddy (who had the same problem).

• Xaromir says:

The problem i have with the censorship of SR3 is that it’s not only a visual things, but also influences the gameplay, and that’s when i’m absolutely not willing anymore to buy a game. In the German version you can’t take civilians as shields anymore, they don’t drop money, and the police is coming after you a lot quicker in the German version, they also messed with the “Whored Mode”. It’s just not tolerable when it influences gameplay, though i have a hard time putting up with censorship at all.

• Spoon Of Doom says:

That’s pretty much my stance on censorship as well. It’s always annoying, but if I have a bit less blood or something, I can live with it, if I have to.

If it heavily alters or disrupts the atmosphere (like characters sitting down and shaking their head instead of dying when shot, I think that was in Half-Life 1), it’s a serious issue, but one that I might even overlook if the rest of the game is really, really good.

But if you start altering or removing gameplay, essentially giving me a lesser game (while still making me pay more than in a lot of other countries, but that’s a different topic), that’s just plain silly and reason enough to not buy a game at all, if there’s no possibility to circumvent it or get hold of an uncut version.

Extreme region locking can be just as bad, like in my example given above – lack of research on my part, I guess.

26. obvioustroll says:

Have the previous bundles been DRM free? Never noticed because I always added them to Steam.

27. skyturnedred says:

Well, this is just all kinds of awesome!

28. citiral says:

This bundle is awesome.
    And to all you dislikers, look on the bright side: If we (the PC-gaming community) manange to “save” THQ from bankruptcy with this bundle, it might convince them to put some more effort in their console ports.

29. InternetBatman says:

I want Humble Bundles to stay an indie thing (and I complained about Bastion at the time), but I can’t help but feel sorry for THQ. Of course I’m getting it, just for SR3 if nothing else, but I think this is a desperate move to raise as much cash as possible and to make them look more attractive to a buyer.

• D3xter says:

Well it seems to be working, their stock went up by 40% following this: http://www.google.com/finance?cid=655998 (which isn’t that much seeing the place they were in previously)

• mbp says:

Are stock market investors really that clued in that the know about Humble Bundles? I thought their knowledge of gaming was limited to Modern Warfare and Angry Birds on their Ipads.

• InternetBatman says:

I’m surprised that they’re that clued in that they know about humble bundles, but not enough to know that this was coming there have been rumors going around for a while.

• El_Emmental says:

THQ probably released the information that 2M were already in the piggy bank, making THQ more visible and with a little more cash in their hands, thus making speculation about being bought out by a big company more probable, thus making its stock value rise a little.

30. mbp says:

I think this is a hugely interesting development.

What happens if/when a AAA developer (albeit not a market leader) discovers that they can make more money giving their top quality games away for peanuts than trying to sell them for a normal price. If Gabe Newell hasn’t been telling us lies this won’t just give THQ a temporary blip of sales it will increase the sales of these games LONG AFTER THE SALE IS OVER.

• InternetBatman says:

I think the effect of a sale will be reduced for AAA games because they’ve already had a lot of coverage and a substantial advertising push behind them.

31. Shadowcat says:

> so it’s not entirely DRM-free

using the special “in any sense whatsoever” value of “entirely” that you invented for that paragraph.

I guess it saves HB’s servers from taking the download hit, but I was a little dismayed to see them presenting a non-DRM-free bundle. The non-cross-platform part is more understandable, but also disappointing — although I do most of my gaming on Windows, I absolutely LOVE the fact that the HIB had seemed to have settled into a “you must be cross-platform” stance, which (given the popularity of the bundles) was an undeniable win for cross-platform development and gaming in general.

I hope this is a once-off.

32. Randomer says:

Holy crap! They’ve already broken the HB6 total revenue in under 24 hours!

33. Etherealsteel says:

Wow some people are really grumpy over this Humble Bundle not being totally DRM free. I’m like “seriously” dude you get some great games and you help charity. A win-win for everyone. I really don’t care if it has DRM as long as it doesn’t have that Always-on DRM or that stupid Games for Windows Live crap that I hate, then I’m cool with it. If it bothers you this much then maybe you should just not buy it. Does it really matter if the game is DRM free or not if the bottom line is helping people out “Fur Charity!”.

• Emeraude says:

Another good example of “it’s not a problem if it’s not a problem FOR ME”.

34. elfbarf says:

Humble Bundle hasn’t been exclusively indie for quite a while. Shank was published by EA and Bastion was published by WB.

Hell, it hasn’t been indie since the first one if you count Penumbra; it was published by Paradox.

Malibu Stacey says:

You forgot to mention Psychonauts in HIB 5 which by Tim Schafer’s own approximation cost $13 million to make & was published by Majesco. Awesome game but no way ‘indie’ by any stretch of the imagination.

35. Roz says:

I own metro, Bought the bundle anyway, just because SR3 was only $6.

36. themastadon85 says:

any1 wanna gift me a spare (below average, so no saints row) humble bundle? don’t have a credit card or any possible way of paying for it, but this bundle is kinda epic :)

37. Acorino says:

I must say I’m a bit disappointed in myself because of my blind trust in the Humble Bundle. Okay, they did say that the games are only for Windows and on Steam, and my issues with that aren’t that big, even if I didn’t notice this warning before I paid. But: Saints Row 3 censored for German users. Only some of the soundtracks in FLAC quality. 10$ paid and now I feel it wasn’t worth it. Too bad, really.

Lim-Dul says:

Really, disappointed for $10 because Saints Row 3 is censored (your country’s fault, not THQ’s or the Humble Bundle’s) and the soundtracks (which are entirely icing on the cake) are not in FLAC quality.
      Man, people have become quite spoiled, haven’t they?

And then in parallel they complain how video games are too expensive! LOL!

• dE says:

To you it’s the icing, to others its actually the more important part. Case in point: I’ve bought it precisely for the Soundtracks. People have different interests. Your vitriol and bile is kinda missing the point.

• Acorino says:

I mainly bought the Bundle for Saints Row 3. And while I don’t listen to FLACs regularly they’re a necessity if I want to convert to another format without losing more quality than has already been lost.
        Soo…I got something alright, but not what I wanted. Am I spoiled? If I’m spoiled for buying something because I want it specifically, not just to give some people money, then yeah, I’m spoiled. But my guess is: so are you.

Another thing: Germany’s censorship laws aren’t a secret, they actually seem to be pretty infamous even internationally. So it’s the Humble Bundle’s job to take such issues into account if they offer a product worldwide. Wouldn’t have been a problem if they offered the games DRM free on their site. Thing is: GOG.com offers games that are censored in Germany uncensored for German gamers. So I didn’t think this would be a problem going in. Oh well…

BTW, did you notice that you can neither download the soundtracks per Torrent nor support the EFF as charity? Odd, isn’t it?

The more I think about it, the more I dislike this deal. I was so blind in trust towards the values of the Humble Bundle that I didn’t even read the DRM and Windows only warning. There’s still no warning for German users, though. And about the missing FLACs.

I am disappoint.

• Low Life says:

I can click on any of the soundtracks and see either “Available in MP3 format” or “Available in both lossless (FLAC) and MP3 formats.”

I’m sorry, but if the format of the soundtrack is at all important to you, you have no excuse to not spending the five seconds required to check that.

The SR3 issue is more understandable.

edit: Wait, I just replied to someone who didn’t even notice all the disclaimers about this being Windows/Steam only. Oh well.

• Acorino says:

Well, I did say I’m disappointed in myself having had such blind faith in the Humble Bundle. Blind means not being able to see. So of course I didn’t read the warning. Oops, stupid me!
            I guess it’s a lesson in trust for me.

Thanks anyway, for reminding me that you’re the perfect human being!

• neolith says:

“your country’s fault, not THQ’s”

Er… no. Some of the laws regarding games are borderline stupid here in Germany, I’ll give you that. But in the end no one will stop you from distributing a game like the ordinary version of SR here as long as you properly label it 18+. This IS actually THQ’s fault.

• dE says:

Properly label it AND the kinda important part – not sell it to minors.
          Don’t trust me on that, trust the guys that know, like let’s say the USK:

“Games with a USK rating of 18 may be displayed for public sale and may be advertised. They may not, however, be sold to children and young persons. The German Children and Young Persons Protection Act makes provision for a possible fine of up to €50,000 for retailers who fail to comply.”
          URL: http://www.usk.de/en/the-usk/faqs/ (30.11.2012).

And thus it’s not THQs fault anymore. See: Lack of proper online age verification. So no, not THQs fault. The german government requires that such a thing is put in place if you are to sell to germans. And since up to this day no one has created such a system (and it’s unlikely it ever will – unless we suddenly embrace face recognition or DNA identification and similar bullshit). But I’m kinda starting to repeat on these issue, so I’ll jetpack out of here now.

• dE says:

They really, really have no way of providing the non censored version to germans. Say thank you to the politicians. They’d be in all kinds of trouble if they did. It’s sad but not really their fault. Now the soundtrack thing… well, yeh I somewhat agree. It’s still a remarkable bundle (even if I already have everything I’m interested in).

• Emeraude says:

Well, there’d be one if not for the DRM. Say thank you to Valve.

• elfbarf says:

I doubt that the German government would be happy with them providing Germans with a direct download to an uncensored version.

• dE says:

That way requires a perfect, non fakeable way of identifying people as 18 years old. Good luck creating that. Even the E-Postbrief isn’t enough – and that’s hyped by the government itself for that very purpose. I wouldn’t even blame Valve as their current implementation could get them in a shitload of trouble with the german law (it’s easily bypassed).
          If you see shops that seemingly do it better, chances are they’re simply ignoring german law.
          Everything hinges on the online proof of age. Without a reliable one, it can’t be done.

• Emeraude says:

Oh, there’d be an easy one, but then we run into the problem of how banks basically co-opted payment from the hands of governments.

• Acorino says:

They really, really have.

• dE says:

I don’t particularly regard illegal as an option, sorry.
          /just saw your comment about your Skidrow version. Helps put your comments in perspective. Please understand that a business absolutely can’t and shouldn’t adopt your stance on law.

• Acorino says:

Unless you know the particular fine points of these German laws, I think we should end this discussion here. Because it might still be legal, or indeed, it might be not. I have no idea of their exceptions or how far reaching they are.

My stance on laws? They should follow morals. Morals shouldn’t follow laws.

• dE says:

Then please do inform yourself. It’s not exactly rocket science. However I get what you’re trying to do here, since laws are always up to interpretation to a degree, you’re essentially trying to deny replies.

• Acorino says:

So you did inform yourself? Care for a quote?

Generally we don’t know the laws we live by, except implicitly. Yeah, we know certain things are wrong, because we heard about it, because we read about it, because we intuitively feel it.
            I could inform myself for this discussion, and for my point to remain valid, this would be the right way to go. But all I say is, if we discuss further about the law, we should actually do it with the law on hand.

I’m just confessing my ignorance here. Maybe you’re not as ignorant. So, you might quote it, and then I happily discuss further. :)

And yeah, a law is proven in court, obviously. :P That’s why it isn’t my favorite topic in the world, I guess. Now I feel like I started something I shouldn’t have. Oh well!

• dE says:

A short fyi, I made a rather lengthy post about the applying law, but it’s stuck in moderation queue because of whatever. So here’s the short version:
            1) SR3 EU Version is on the BPjM Index – thus its distribution in germany is illegal and under threat of a prison sentence. I assumed it was age 18 only.
            2) the respective law is the Jugendschutz Gesetz (JuSchG). The respective clauses that apply are 14 and 28 for games without an age rating and 15 as well as 27 for games that are on the BPjM Index.

Especially 28 states that you must not make a game available to minors which isn’t fit for their age. The law doesn’t explicitely state the need for age verification. But as a retailer, you need to find a way to make sure you’re absolutely not selling your 18+ game to a minor. It can be argued that such a system can’t be reliably achieved, but most shops within germany or game import companies from austria or switzerland, generally demand a copy of your ID. It’s wonky at best as some lawyers are looking for ways to exploit that. However not bothering with this topic at all is a surefire way towards the fine named in 28.

• Skabooga says:

Looking at it from a glass half-full sort of view, though: HOLY CRAP WHAT AN AMAZING DEAL.

• Acorino says:

Well, I had already downloaded a SKIDROW version of Saints Row 3 before, but haven’t played it so far. Too many games I bought to play first! The prospect of owning the game legally cheaply mainly drove me to buy the bundle. So at least that’s what I have now: the ownership license of the game in a legal fashion.

• LintMan says:

@Acorino -

So you pirated Saints Row 3 and so already have the uncensored version, and now paid just 1/4 the regular price for a legit copy of the game, plus the soundtrack, plus 4 other AAA games. And you’re disappointed because some of the songs didn’t come in FLAC format?

Here, this is just for you.

• Acorino says:

Oh, I’m not begging for pity, not even of the sarcastic kind. But I feel like I fell for a deal that wasn’t as good as I hoped for, and just because I thought the Humble Bundle firmly stood for certain values and offerings. Wholly my fault, like I said. I promise to be more attentive the next time around!

38. Liudeius says:

Just keep those Humble Tip and Child’s Play sliders down. They do not deserve 15% of the proceeds, and Child’s Play is a stupid charity. How about helping those who CAN’T pay to be in the hospital. Oh no, boredom is a life-threatening condition.

xao says:

Yeah, whatever you do, make sure that sick kids have fewer recreation options because some people are even less fortunate! Fight the power!

• Randomer says:

When the HIB first launched, I was pretty excited that they included Child’s Play as one of their charities. Now, after a number of years of Child’s Play being my charity of choice, I’ve started to have a change of heart. I like what Child’s Play does, but I do think that it is less important than other charities out there. That’s why I’m pretty excited that this bundle includes the Red Cross as a charity option. From a utilitarian standpoint, I think that the Red Cross can contribute to the greater good better than Child’s Play can.

• luukdeman111 says:

So there are people out there who have a passion, and try to do good with their passion. They decide to help children by giving them something small, they work their asses of just to see a kid smile….

Meanwhile, behind a computer somewhere, Liudeius is sitting on his lazy ass ranting about people not doing enough good for the world…..

Surely we should all pay attention to the wisdom you speak!

39. Buemba says:

The HIB for me is purely another way to get awesome games for dirt cheap and help some charities along the way, so I don’t mind if they start doing bundles with major publishers (Hell, if they make a Call of Duty Bundle bundle I might finally get the post COD4 ones).

Indie Royale and Indie Game Stand seem more intent on giving lesser-known indie games visibility so I’d raise an eyebrow if they did something like this, but I can’t think of many games in previous HIB that weren’t already very well-known and successful prior to their inclusion in the promotion.

40. Kaira- says:

“Unlike previous Humble Bundles, however, this one’s Windows and Steam-only, so it’s not entirely DRM-free like previous offerings”

You have a curious definition of “not entirely”, Nathan. To me it reads “not at all DRM-free like previous offerings”. I mean, how could something be “not entirely DRM-free”? It’s a binary issue – either it’s DRM-free or it isn’t.

• Unaco says:

“Not entirely X” is a figure of English speech, usually used in an ironic sense when something is entirely X. Can’t remember the text exactly, but it comes from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, where it is used to describe something as “not entirely unlike tea”.

• The Random One says:

Actually, I think “entirely” is modifying “DRM-free” and not, uh, “not”.

The meaning you read is: “This is not entirely like previous offerings, which were DRM-free.” Which does sound weasely.

But the intended meaning was: “This is not like previous offerings, which were entirely DRM-free.” Which is perfectly true.

41. killbilly says:

I got in for $25 just to get Saint’s Row the Third (I used to play Operation Flashpoint and Air Warrior with the tech lead artist on SR3) but I’m wondering if they’ll do the later add-ons that we’re used to seeing with Humble Bundles. I have my fingers crossed for Call of Pripyat.

42. LionsPhil says:

So much for “humble”, eh?

43. Joe The Wizard says:

Honestly, I think it’s great. I would happily pay for a Humble Bundle for mega developers that unlocks through Steam where I know a percentage is going to charity. I would pay the same thing on Steam and none of that money goes to charity at all (as far as I know). So yeah.

And 15 bucks for Metro 2033, Darksiders, and Red Faction Armageddon? Done. That’s like a beer a piece. Even if I only play each for about an hour, it’s worth it.

44. Alexrd says:

I would actually pay a good amount of money if the games were DRM-free. THQ had nothing to loose. Since that didn’t happen, they get nothing from me.

45. Hahaha says:

USD6.00 for all of it that’s what 3 something quid, also THE HUMBLE THQ BUNDLE no indie connection at all. RPS readers are getting more and more anal is hilarious. RPS reaping what it sowed since 2010.

Just have to link this post from the board as well

Gamers missing the boat since birth

46. Qofi (Hero(in(e))). says:

““Part” of Humble Bundle’s business, eh? Sounds like we can expect more non-indie bundles going forward. So there you go.”

Do you ever visit between game sales? Indie games are only a part of their service. They have, like, book sales and things. Indie games were already a “part”.
    Let’s just hope that, now, it won’t be a significantly smaller part.

47. LintMan says:

Sorry, reply fail.

48. ShatteredAwe says:

*Wishes for a free copy*
    Lost all my money in the Steam Sale, Q_Q

• ShatteredAwe says:

Also, if I happen to have some of these games on steam Already, then will I just have extra gift copies? Just want to know.

Martel says:

You won’t, 99.9% of Steam games don’t work that way. If you beat the average you’ll get 2 keys, otherwise you’ll get 1 key that unlocks all the games. Any you already have are essentially “lost”

• ShatteredAwe says:

Darn. Was going to abuse the Trade Forums with this.

Thanks though.

49. Slinkyboy says:

Is there anyone kind enough to gift this bundle to a poor sucker? Please! I would be very thankful!

50. greyoda says:

Someone maybe wanting to gift a below-average bundle to a kid without credit card?