Particulate Planetary Exploration: Perennial

By Adam Smith on December 3rd, 2012 at 2:00 pm.

Perennial is a side-scrolling exploration game with shiny collectibles that are best collected in combos. The playable prototype, which is packed with extremely attractive particulate polish, is available for download and it managed to take up far more of my Monday than I’d expected. The minimalism of the graphics and design wouldn’t be out of place in a game that ends up being about walking to the right and then dying, metaphorically and philosophically. Shortly after you leave your house, Perennial banishes all such thoughts by providing a super-speedy powerup and from then on the pace is more akin to Sonic the Plumber, with bugs to squash and tiny tunnels to slide through. Download here and check out the Greenlight page.

I haven’t finished the prototype yet but John Polson at indiegames.com, where I first saw this, reckons the ending is enjoyable. It certainly wouldn’t be a chore to play for just a little longer because it really is a delightful little game.

Even though there are points to score and I’m certainly not adverse to dashing, jumping and sliding through an area to maximise a combo, the real joy of Perennial lies in looking rather than doing. In that sense, it has something in common with Knytt. It helps that everything, from a crushed roach to the drops of water falling from a cavern ceiling, looks fantastic and the planet’s changing colours are so enticing.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mikmanner says:

Yeah that’s really fun, music in the trailer is… Well, I’m quire bored of chiptune in indie platformers.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

A shame. But personally I do so very much enjoy a good chiptune. At least you can mute the music (yeah I know you shouldn’t have to do so to enjoy a game).

• Niko The Maestro says:

I find myself turning off the music in most games. It’s a much more immersive experience when I can just hear the sounds of the in-game environment (espicially with headphones).

• jessicahutchins7 says:

Blake. I can see what your saying… Jeremy`s c0mment is flabbergasting… on sunday I got a top of the range GMC since getting a cheque for $6391 this last 5 weeks and also ten grand this past-munth. without a question it is the nicest-work Ive ever done. I started this three months/ago and practically straight away was bringin in more than $76, per hour. I went to this web-site.. http://www.Google.MEL7.CoM

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

For those interested: the chiptune used is freely available over at the modarchive (http://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=140490). Found out through Greenlight of all places.

2. HolyShitMatt says:

Loved it, absolutely. Hit a fail state because of the second ability, but I still had a fantastic time. Thanks for sharing!

3. GeeKay says:

FFS, where did my evening go to? What a great little game. Have to say, I enjoyed the tunes and the overall atmosphere. Brilliant!

Toupee says:

Loved it! At times it felt very derivative, but as I kept getting more and more upgrades, it just got more and more fun. I kept thinking, “This game could be so much more,” and then it would go and show me that it already knows that. :) Best hour spent of the day!

5. TehK says:

Leaving aside that this game does indeed look lovely… I wonder what makes this game an “exploration game” instead of, let’s say, just a platformer or a jump&run?