Bridge Of Size: Little Big Mansion

By Adam Smith on January 14th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

April Monday is the cruellest day, seeding despair out of the week’s end, mixing memories and regrets, spurring dull chat with colleagues. What better way to recover from the onslaught of the weekstart’s blues than with a free browser game? Let’s just hope this particular game doesn’t have melancholy, atmospheric music of the sort that could plunge a chap into frowning reveries. Of course it does! It’s a lo-fi puzzler set in a lonely mansion during a thunderstorm, jaunty sounds of jollity would be ill-fitting. Little Big Mansion might not be cheery but it is cheering, at least for anyone who enjoys odd mechanics based around size, space and the eternal problem of getting from point A to point B.

The current version is a prototype built for what the designer calls “the unofficial Norwegian Championship of Gameplay”. It was certainly clever enough to make me grin so I reward it with The Unofficial Adam Championship Of Unexpected Cleverness, January 14th Edition. I won’t spoil how it works – as the instructions inform at the beginning, ‘Use Arrow Keys and Mouse’.

You’ll be fine. Don’t quit before you find the wardrobes.

Via @samim.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. captain567 says:

Didn’t know April was demoted to just a day, now.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

DEMOTEFACE

• MuscleHorse says:

I’ve reread the opening sentence three times now and can’t decide whether it is rather clever and I’m rather not, or if it’s just a mistake.

• DonJefe says:

You didn’t get the memo?`It was in all the papers. September is a week now and December stretches over the whole fourth quarter. It’s a right mess…

• mwoody says:

And “afternoon” is now a delicious raspberry quiche.

• Berzee says:

That sounds excellent, but eggs cause me severe and impolite sicknesses. Are there any words that have become less egg-centric raspberry treats?

2. actionthom says:

This was super-fun! I rarely get beyond room 3 of one of these indie platformer things usually, but this was great :)

3. The Army of None says:

Is that a Robin Trower song reference, Adam? Quite excellent!

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0d1HilfLxA is the song Bridge of Sighs, for anyone interested.)

4. Bhazor says:

That was brilliant. Like the best puzzlers it’s amazing how quickly your brain adapts to insane mechanics so you do convoluted juggling acts without even consciously thinking about it. Go ahead and try to explain how you solved the second to the last level without confusing yourself more than the puzzle did.

The boss fight was right the fuck out of nowhere though.

5. jeanjoan421 says:

before I saw the receipt for $9577, I didnt believe that my cousin could realie receiving money in their spare time on there computar.. there neighbor started doing this for only a year and a short time ago repayed the dept on there condo and got a brand new Renault 4. read more at, http://www.bit90.com

6. The Random One says:

The game is good, but I hope they remove the ‘boss battle’ from the finished version. Nothing angers me more when I’m playing an atmospheric puzzler than suddenly being thrown into a slapdash attempt at another genre.