New Republic: Obsidian Actively Pitching More Star Wars

By Nathan Grayson on February 8th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II was utterly masterful. Sure, it had more rough edges than a Sarlacc Pit who’s also a door-to-door woodchipper salesman, but the underlying tale mixed oppressive darkness, moral grays, and an eye for exactly what makes Star Wars tick to stirring effect. Personally, I think it far outstripped KOTOR 1, but to each their own. Naturally, though, I nearly grinned my face in half when Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart told me his Black-Isle-based collective is lobbying heavily to develop a new Star Wars RPG. “I would say it’s within the top three pitches we’ve ever come up with,” he told RPS during a recent interview. But wait, what about the EA-shaped Death Star hovering over The Old Republic? Well, Obsidian’s new tale is set in a very, very different time period.

“There’s a lot of different eras in Star Wars, and that’s what we would focus on,” Urquhart replied when I pointed out that The Old Republic’s relative lack of success could have Disney seeing that license in a less than favorable light.

“We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts]. Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It’s the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it’s Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK. You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story.”

“We also latched onto it because it has elements people remember, but not the stories. It can just completely not involve [the movies]. It can tease them, but nothing else.”

Of course, then a certain gigantic mouse fee-fi-fo-fummed along, unhinged its gargantuan plague ridden jaw, and swallowed Star Wars whole. So what happens now? Is Obsidian back at square one? Urquhart doesn’t think so.

“It’s something we’re still hoping for, even with the Disney/Lucas stuff going on,” he said. “It changes things a lot, but you know, we’re gonna push on it. I would say it’s within the top three pitches we’ve ever come up with. We really worked on it hard and distilled it down to these eight or ten pages that really sold the story and characters. Then we sold it off to LucasArts and got a call back later that day. They were like, ‘This seems really cool. We want to talk to you guys, like, tomorrow about it.’”

“We haven’t [talked with Disney yet]. We’re kind of waiting for the smoke to clear. But that’s one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again].”

Granted, it might be more of an uphill battle than Urquhart anticipates. Disney, after all, opened its Star Wars salvo by saying that it’d rather focus on mobile and social games over console-y triple-A fare. But Urquhart thinks more than a little of the house of mouse’s statement was simple posturing. Putting all your chips on console (and, by extension in this case, PC) doesn’t sound good right now. But once the veil of silence surrounding new machines finally lifts, that might be a very different story.

So yes, a lot of things are up in the air, but Urquhart’s confident. And I’m hoping to high heaven he’s right to feel that way. Assuming it all does work out, though, here’s hoping Obsidian actually gets to finish its ending this time.

Keep an eye out for the full interview – about the future of RPGs, the PC, and a certain post-apocalyptic series that I guess a few people like – very soon.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Drake Sigar says:

“Personally, I think it far outstripped KOTOR 1.”

Damn right. I will pray for this.

• Bhazor says:

Any Obsidian news gives me A New Hope.

• jimangi says:

(Ok, let’s see how far we can take this)
        I just hope Disney don’t just commission a boring FPS spin-off. I’ve had enough of this Attack of the (COD) Clones.

• Xardas Kane says:

just as long as LucasArts don’t Strike Back and rush it like last time.

• mr.black says:

Also Obsidian devs have a great Legacy.

• Alphadrop says:

With Obsidian behind the wheel it definitely won’t be a pile of Sith.

2. unangbangkay says:

Please let the Force be strong in this one.

That said the “between-Episode III and Episode IV” territory is increasingly crowded, what with at least two Force Unleashed games taking that space and a ridiculous amount of fiction relating to the rise of Vader and the Empire (Wookiepedia knows all!) stuffed in as well.

Sure the “Oh my all the Jedi are dead/being killed” angle works (it was KotOR II’s angle!), but maybe there’s a better space to pull it off in.

• Bhazor says:

Anything that moves it away from the prequel trilogy is fine by me. If it cuts down the number of Jedi then that’s even better.

Episode 3 looked like a fucking 90’s rave with all the glow sticks.

• Tuskin38 says:

Don’t you mean Episode 2? There were a lot more sabers there then Episode 3

3. Jerion says:

Make this happen, you brilliant people.

4. thecat17 says:

Am I the only one who finds this news depressing, and thinks we should all get over Star Wars because the last three movies were so horrible that it made the entire series unredeemable and yet another game beating the dead horse would be a waste of Obsidian’s talents?

• savagenick says:

Did you even play KOTOR?

• RobinOttens says:

I felt KotOR and it’s sequel proved that the series most definitely is not irredeemable. They were both prefectly fine Star Wars stories on par with (in some ways better than) anything the original film trilogy did.

• gritz says:

No, the KOTOR series is not as good as or better than the original Star Wars trilogy. That’s just insane.

Lars Westergren says:

I’m with you thecat17. What is Star Wars these days apart from the fan service stuff of bombastic soundtracks and wooshing lightsabers?

I’m all for Obsidian doing more AAA work, but considering Disney burned them once already with Seven Dwarves I would be hesitant to go there again.

• Low Life says:

Good games based on Star Wars released after the new trilogy (I’m counting everything after the first movie of the new trilogy. Also I’m just throwing these off the top of my head so I might be missing some):
      Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast
      Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
      Knights of the Old Republic
      Knights of the Old Republic 2
      Rogue Squadron 2: Rogue Leader
      Republic Commando
      The Old Republic (Yes, I just went there. Great for one or two “playthroughs”, I got my 50 euros’ worth)

Why would any of these games be worse because someone made a bad movie (or three.. and the Christmas special, but we don’t talk about the Christmas special) set in the same universe? That’s just silly.

• Chris D says:

I think it’s not so much that a good Star Wars game is impossible to make, just that at this point the affection we had for the setting has been burned up long, long ago. If it gets good reviews I’ll likely pick it up but at one point anything Star Wars would have been cause for massive anticipation and that just ain’t the case anymore.

• JuJuCam says:

Both Battlefront games too. Battlefront 2 totally still holds up, it’s what Planetside 2 would be more like if your actions had meaningful long-term consequences.

• TsunamiWombat says:

“Good for one or two Playthroughs (TOR)”

Well, yes. Too bad it was an MMO and not the single player game it should have been.

• SuicideKing says:

We need another X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter, that’s what we need.

• ScubaMonster says:

So because of some bad movies you’re willing to write off an entire franchise? I guess you’re not a Star Trek fan then either.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I think there’s simply too much Star Wars. Too many movies, too many spin-offs, too many books, too many toys, too many games. It takes up a place in our culture so dominant that it sucks all the air out of the room, leaving little space for any fresh ideas come up.

• Melf_Himself says:

Let’s not pretend that the original trilogy was some kind of amazing story. It was good because pew pew light sabres, pew pew lasers, and that’s the same reason I LIKED most parts of the latter 3 movies.

Also to the OP: KotOR II was pretty fricking average. The combat system was atrocious. NWN2 was average as well. I know Obsidian are ex Black Isle, but they’re like… the Danny Devito to the rest of the team’s Arnie.

5. Core says:

Didn’t Disney also make a statement recently that they are not interested in making violent video games?

• abandonhope says:

Disney likes all the money.

The only concern I have is that they might want a game to tie into the new Abrams-flavored trilogy instead. I’m not sure if brand dilution is high on their list of concerns though, and there always seems to be an appetite for near-concurrent releases across different genres.

• bleeters says:

I’m not sure any rational person would look at the KotOR games and deem them violent.

[edit] That was more aimed at Core. Apparently I clicked the wrong reply button.

• abandonhope says:

My reply button was sexier.

• Vorphalack says:

Certainly no more violent than any of the films, so it would be quite hypocritical to block this project based on concerns over violence while concurrently developing the next movie.

JiminyJickers says:

Well, Star Wars isn’t thaaaat violent. The games were never very violent themselve. Hopefully Disney will see that and let this project happen.

6. RobinOttens says:

Great news. I’d rather they magically find a way to make a more direct sequel to KotOR II’s sort-of open ending. But whatever man, anything Obsidian makes gets my support. They’ve proven they know better what makes Star Wars tick than Lucasfilm itself does.

Let’s hope this works out!

• unangbangkay says:

Sadly KotOR 2’s ending (the original one at any rate, I haven’t played the modded/complete version) is not open any more. The detailed events of what happened to both Revan and KotOR 2’s protagonist (canonically female, it seems) are covered in The Old Republic and its attendant side-fiction.

• RobinOttens says:

: ((((((

Crap, so… can Obsidian take that plot and make a singleplayer game out of it that isn’t MMO grinds please?

(I did play the extended/modded ending. It doesn’t change the content of the ending per se, just adds some more events for your party members to have something to do. Making it feel a bit more complete.)

• povu says:

I never plan on playing TOR, is there a place I can read up on the story of Revan and the Exile after KOTOR 2?

• Bhazor says:

… oh fuck you Bioware. Fuck. You.

You took Obsidian’s Valhalla like idea of great heroes leaving to confront a vast faceless enemy that threatens existence itself and you turned it into a doom fortress, with a god damn love triangle just in case you hadn’t quite ruined it just yet.

Fuck you Bioware.
            Fuck you.

Also
            “Surik joined Revan in his mission to kill the Sith Emperor, who had been plotting an invasion of the Republic for centuries. She, Revan and Lord Scourge joined forces in their common cause and attacked the Emperor. However, Scourge seemingly betrayed his Jedi allies and stabbed Surik from behind, killing her instantly. Her death helped Revan in delaying the Emperor and his plans. ”
            She is betrayed by a man called Lord Scourge.

Fuck. You.

• Barberetti says:

I met Revan during my brief adventures in TOR. All I remember about him was that he had a stupid voice. He would have fitted right in as the villain of the week in any of the old 80s kids cartoons.

7. savagenick says:

After Bioware completely went to the dogs, Obsidian is essentially our only hope RPG-wise. I seriously want this to happen. No, NEED this to happen. WE NEED this to happen.

• effervescent says:

I’m with you on this one. BioWare was top dog but, as you say, it went to the dogs. We should see what becomes of DA and ME but I’m not getting my hopes up.
      Obsidian on the other hand always had potential but hasn’t proven it can overcome its technical issues. It’s true though that, as far as I know, its the only company that can be expected to deliver a great story. Are there any others?

• Ragnar says:

CD Project if you’re focusing on RPGs specifically. Plenty of good stories being told in adventure games.

8. greenbananas says:

I might not be particularly interested in more SW, but “more KotoR 2″? Yes, please. Just don’t let Disney find out Obsidian was/is involved with those guys at South Park Studios.

9. tnzk says:

Not the biggest fan of Star Wars, but I found KotOR II so jarring. Star Wars is green lightsaber vs red lighttsaber: good vs. evil. When it gets all morally ambiguous it just doesn’t become Star Wars.

I found the original game had a much greater understand of itself, simply because it stuck with the Star Wars space western vibe. Furthermore, that’s how Star Wars stories turn out when done right. It’s the evergreen science fiction good vs evil.

If Obsidian wants to get dark, best just choose another IP, or make their own. It’d be far more interesting.

RedViv says:

KotOR 2 is about Star Wars picking itself apart. That only works when it’s a Star Wars game.

• kael13 says:

That grey spin on Star Wars was exactly what made the game so interesting. Straight up light vs. dark is the oldest trope in the book.

• zain3000 says:

Personally, having replayed both games recently, I found Bioware’s adherence to the traditional “good vs. evil” tropes to be the dullest part of the game. KotOR 2 delved into a grey area of morality that a lot of other devs have a hard time grasping. Who here, having played KotOR 2, would claim that they weren’t constantly exasperated (in the best of ways) by Kreia’s constant reprimands for doing the obviously “good” or “bad” thing. To her, it wasn’t what you did but why you did it. That stuck with me.

ffordesoon says:

Exactly.

Not to mention that the most woefully underexplored (or, if we’re talking about the prequels, poorly explored) aspect of the Star Wars universe is the effect of Jedi-to-Sith corruption on the universe at large. How must the Jedi seem to Joe Public in that universe? They’re all-powerful Space Wizards who occasionally go insane and murder a planet or two, they rarely intervene in conflicts even when those conflicts are a pretty obvious threat (fair play to KOTOR 1 for doing a pretty good job of exploring this), the Space Magic they worship is as likely to make them shoot lightning from their hands as it is to give them healing powers, they’re always waging holy wars against each other that they make other people fight in, and the allegedly “good” ones hypnotize people if they can’t get inside a place fast enough.

And yet they’re always treated like unambiguous heroes by everyone they meet. Why? Because George Lucas said so? They’re a massive disruption of normal life. People should be as scared of them as they are reverent.

And in Episode III, a Jedi war hero goes on a rampage and murders most of the other Jedi and his wife in service to a dictator. And the remaining Jedi cover it up to save the lunatic’s kids, who could easily be ticking time bombs. Are we supposed to believe that nobody even questioned the “heroic death” of Anakin Skywalker, especially when a pregnant Padme Amidala bit it at the same time? He was running around murdering all of them and screaming about them being Sith! Nobody caught that? There aren’t rumormongers who know the real story? And if there aren’t, why aren’t there? Did the Jedi use their “mind tricks” to suppress that information? No Jedi stationed somewhere distant grew disillusioned with the Order’s silence on the Anakin issue?

These are all hooks that have never been used in a Star Wars story, to the best of my knowledge, and they’re practically tailor-made to be answered in an Obsidian RPG.

DrAmateurScience says:

A Star Wars game where you don’t play a Jedi/force sensitive would be great. Actually really enjoyed the imp agent vibe in SWTOR (didn’t enjoy the lonely grind though). Would love to see that angle leveraged some more, and setting a game between eps III and IV would be a great way of doing that.

• Fanbuoy says:

As in the upcoming 1313?

DrAmateurScience says:

Yes that too, although having never played an Uncharted game I’m in unfamiliar territory as to whether I’m excited by it or not.

• Ragnar says:

You should be excited. Uncharted games are really good. I’ve yet to play 3, but 1 was very good and 2 was excellent.

• Koozer says:

I heartily recommend SW: Bounty Hunter on the Gamecube/PS2. You get a jetpack and a scan visor!

• TsunamiWombat says:

Republic Commando was a fantastic game that never got a sequel and you should try it on steam.

;_;7 Sev

• Brun says:

It really boggles my mind that Republic Commando never got a sequel. As a squad-based shooter it was no Rainbow 6 but it was still an excellent shooter and it provided a really well-grounded perspective on the Star Wars universe. It was “realistic”, or at least plausible, in that it portrayed the clones as a believable military unit, and avoided the sort of high fantasy (Jedi, force use) and Wild West (Smugglers, Bounty Hunters) aspects of Star Wars. In that sense I suppose you could say it was more science fiction than fantasy, unlike typical Star Wars games/movies. You would think, given the popularity of CoD, that such a perspective would have wide appeal.

• Ragnar says:

I agree, I think you could set up a very interesting RPG set around being an Imperial Agent.

You’re trying to pull strings and change things for the benefit of the Empire while trying to maintain your cover and keep it subtle. The less suspicion you raise, the better the Empire rewards you for completing the missions. You have to decide how best to accomplish each goal, and, if discovered or suspected, you have to decide how best to deal with it.

11. Risingson says:

Sometimes Star Wars fans forget something as obvious as this: the first trilogy is a letter of love to classic pulpy books and classic filmmaking. And there was a lot of humor on them, sometimes screwball-like dialogues and punch lines that made the movies not only adventures, but Howard Hawks era adventures. And they work so well because of that: because they are fun. “Spaceballs” hasn’t even half of the laughs, after all.

Now, that I realize this is asking too much. Gamers don’t laugh anymore.

• RobinOttens says:

Wuh? Obsidian (and Bioware as well) have always had pretty OK humor in their games. And the KotOR games had plenty of fun-time pulpy adventure in them.

You’re right about those pesky ‘gamers’ though. Being one of them, I have to say; I hate laughing! >.</

• Bhazor says:

Sadly most modern Star Wars seems focused on “Darker and Edgier” instead of fun.

But yeah “Everything’s fine over here… how are you?” is one of the most underated comedy skits in Hollywood.

• Brun says:

To be honest though, the Original Trilogy was much, much darker in tone than the Prequels, which often bordered on outright campiness. That campiness has been inherited by many of the derivative games and material, with a few exceptions.

12. DClark says:

A game based around Order 66? Yes please.

• Fanbuoy says:

Isn’t that pretty much what Force Unleashed did? I quit not too far in, but it sure seemed like it.

• InternetBatman says:

It did, and it was excellent for it. Whoops, I meant battlefront 2. Force Unleashed was terrible.

13. adonf says:

If they plan to reuse assets from their (canceled?) South Park RPG it’s a day-1 buy for me.

DrAmateurScience says:

Ubi bought the publishing rights in the THQ fire sale so I think it’s still coming once they’ve given it the once over.

• adonf says:

Last time I checked, South Park Studios were disputing the sale.

DrAmateurScience says:

Oh. Bumcakes, I’ll file that under ‘development hell’ for the time being.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I vote for renaming the ‘development hell’ file to the ‘bumcakes’ file.

• RatherDashing says:

That was before the sale. The announcement of the various sales(including the Ubi one) said that all interested parties were on call to show that any objections had been dealt with.

• vasek45 says:

Cancelled it wasn’t, my young padawan

14. Bladderfish says:

This article has inspired a thought in me:

Why don’t publishers have a poll on their websites, containing short pitches from said publisher’s developers, that people can vote on to request games?

Am I insane or could this work?

• kataras says:

What???? And what would all the marketing/sales people and the decision-making executives do for a living then??? Did you think about that??

• SominiTheCommenter says:

Won’t somebody think of the pitchers!

• Bhazor says:

Dear god, you heartless bastards. Thats a death sentence for executives and those working in PR.

Those cretins couldn’t survive in the real world.

• Bladderfish says:

But the PR people would still have something of a job: they’d have to push the polls far and wide so that they reached more than those few who search out such things. Essentially it is cutting out the middleman, but it wouldn’t necessarily mean job losses. More a change in roles.

And face facts, the first publisher that did this would have swarms of people visiting them if they advertised the idea correctly.

• RobinOttens says:

Cool idea. But I predict something like that would reach only a small percentage of the potential audience and would only represent the opinions of those people who would go out of their way to read a developer’s pitch and then vote on it.

• Bhazor says:

Sadly true.

With big companies they want to aim as low as possible and you certainly don’t want to take theirs fans advice. Much better to just keep chasing the money train. MMOs popular this week? They announce an MMO. MOBA’s popular this week? Announce a MOBA.

• aliksy says:

I don’t know if you’re aware, but most fans are fucking idiots. Look at fan fiction sometime.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Indeed. We’d get something like an FPS about Darth Vader force choking Jean Luc Picard to steal a ring to rule the universes while watching Seven of Nine do a pole dance with princess Leia. And dinosaurs.

15. Rao Dao Zao says:

I hope the new game will have a story about courage so it can be called Knights of the Bold Republic.

strangeloup says:

Or maybe it should have a section on an ice world, so it can be called Knights of the Cold Republic.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

It’s going to be about a used speeder salesman. Knights of the Sold Republic.

• Supahewok says:

Maybe it’ll be about a space prospector: Knights of the Gold Republic.

• Chris D says:

They should totally use that name but it should be about what happens when C-3PO opens a gay bar.

• Chris D says:

I hear it’s about the Mos Eisley tavern being slowly mutated by a sentient fungus. The only one able to stop this is Jar Jar Binks who’s tongue contains an enzyme that can reverse the progress. Of course no one trusts him so he has to do it while everyone else is asleep.

It’s called Nights of the Mould Re-Pub Lick

16. bigjig says:

I wouldn’t exactly call KOTOR 2 ‘utterly masterful’. Impressive story, but godawful gameplay.

• iGark says:

What exactly was wrong with it? I’m not an expert on an RPGs by any sense of the word, but it seemed fine to me and pretty much the same as the one in the original KotOR.

• Asurmen says:

I played on hardest difficulty, and yawned my way through the game apart from difficulty spikes due to how certain points of the story were told (trying to be non-spoiler here). Other than that, the gameplay was precisely the same as KoToR as passives made very little difference. You only needed 2 lightsaber forms really.

All in all I preffered KoToR over KoToR 2.

• aliksy says:

It’s d20. That’s pretty much all you need to know if someone says “The gameplay is pretty bad”.

• Bhazor says:

The gameplay was hugely improved from the previous game. Much better paced, harder fights, more nuances in combat in terms of passives.

It’s still not great but it’s definitely better.

• djim says:

It is easy to say KOTOR 2 was much better than KOTOR 1 after 10 years of modders fixing it. We should not forget that at release it was unfinished.

• Bhazor says:

Nope

I played it at release with nothing but the official patches. It blew the original out of the water.

• gritz says:

Agreed 100%. I got excited at the beginning when I was picking my path based on my ability to hack computers, sneak past enemies and open locked doors. But then it quickly devolved to bad d20 repetitive combat, and I had nerfed myself by sneaking instead of fighting for XP.

A Deus Ex style game with lots of freedom to explore and handle things your own way would be great. Another “endless rooms of 5 enemies to hit with your lightsaber” is something we don’t need.

17. amorpheous says:

*sigh* Another tired old franchise being resurrected due to mouth breathing masses salivating over sequels, prequels and everything in between as well as lazy developers/writers not being able to come up with anything original…

• Bhazor says:

Kotor 2 is the absolute poster boy of what talented writers can do with tired, worn out, anally retentive franchise.

What they did? They took it out back and blew it to pieces.

• bleeters says:

Shockingly, people tend to want more of things they like.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Unfortunately, that is the very thing that turns things you like into things you don’t like.

18. eightbitrobot says:

I couldn’t care less about another Star Wars RPG..

Would love to see Obsidian do more work on Wasteland 2, not just Chris Avellone.

19. Alexrd says:

Finally, a Star Wars RPG during the timeline of the movies! I prefer the first KotOR to Obsidian’s KotOR II, it’s less buggy and doesn’t have that “anti-Force” stance from some characters. Let’s hope Avellone respects the universe a bit more this time.

• InternetBatman says:

Really? I still think the idea of a villain that hates the force is fascinating and rational. I think it might have worked better if the villain either wasn’t force sensitive or wasn’t so present in the game.

• Bhazor says:

The guy has an Episode 1 avatar. He is beyond hope.

• Alexrd says:

Oh, the typical Star Wars prequel hate bandwagon…

• Mrs Columbo says:

I have a bad feeling about that.

• Alexrd says:

You have a bad feeling that different people have different tastes? Welcome to the real world.

• excel_excel says:

he was quoting ‘the bad feeling’ line that’s in every Star Wars movie and game……SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT RECOGNIZING IT! SHAME.

• Alexrd says:

To hate the Force is to hate life itself (in-universe). I’m not sure that’s a good premise for a villain. Even the Sith main purpose is to avoid death at all costs.

• Bork Titflopsen says:

You should read up on the Rule of Two

• Alexrd says:

Why should I do that? Did I say anything that contradicts such rule?

• aliksy says:

Villains who hate existance and want to undo it all have been done before. It can be interesting.

I ran a game of Mage once where the antagonist believed the only way to be truly free was to achieve complete oblivion. As long as one exists, one is stuck being that. Your past keeps you chained to what you were. You’ll always be the scared little boy you once were, etc etc.

Lars Westergren says:

> To hate the Force is to hate life itself (in-universe).

That is what the Jedi keep telling people, that does not mean it is true. If you wanted to control and manipulate people, wouldn’t that be a great lie spread? “Sure, you could oppose me, but that means opposing life and existance itself!”

Arguments like that in-game is in fact what makes Kreia the most awesome Star Wars villain ever. A tragic villain if she is wrong, or possibly a great unsung self-sacrificing hero, if she is right.

• Bhazor says:

My interpretation was that Kriea was trying to kill causality and return free will to the people. It’s one of those brilliant ideas that completely changes how you see everything. The force guided Luke to save the galaxy. The force also guided the empire to conquer it. The force is a tool that has taken over its user, Jedi are given far more responisibilty and power than their means allow and get culled like sheep once the Sith arrive. Jedi are shown as petty squabbling beuracrats, more interested in council politics than confronting the real dangers. The whole game is about Kriea trying to prove that the force is no more powerful than a blaster or stun baton.

Kriea is by far the most interesting character in the whole Star Wars canon.

• InternetBatman says:

Nihilism is an amazing motivation for a villain. It is a great source of self-destructive behavior (some people are destructive because they want to kill everything including themselves), and on a large scale leads to a villain who follows their own code of ethics while being utterly inimical to life.

20. Tei says:

KOTOR is the best thing of Star Wars. But the are more stories to tell.
    Fuck star wars and all “brands” names, here and forever.

21. aliksy says:

I will be approximately 100000x more excited for this if it doesn’t use d20 as the underlying rules system.

ffordesoon says:

Guh, this.

D20 is a fun tabletop system, and it is AWFUL in a video game.

22. Citrus says:

KOTOR 2 made Star Warts interesting and fun. But I’d rather have Obsidian create a new IP based on Alpha Protocol universe.

23. Brun says:

I’d rather have Jedi Knight 3 than another KOTOR game, especially since we just had SWTOR.

24. Xardas Kane says:

I AM THROWING MONEY AT THE SCREEN, BUT THIS IS NOT KICKSTARTER AND NOTHING IS HAPPENING!

25. Strangerator says:

I thought one of the coolest things about KOTOR 2 was that I could actually make some pretty unique character builds. How about a heavy armor wearing, dual blaster using jedi? I wasn’t forced to use a lightsaber, how novel! Kinda makes me want to load it up again.

Disney doesn’t care about quality, primarily. They want to make the most money while offending the smallest number of people. I predict JEDIFACE.

26. MeestaNob says:

I’d give anything for them to ‘officially’ patch their game with widescreen support and all the stuff they were forced to cut. I’d pay big money for a HD re-release.

27. jakorap says:

I’m not how I feel about Obsidian developing another Star Wars game, considering all of the technical issues, cut content (for multiple reasons, one of them being that they were too close to the deadline with unfinished content), flaws, and general problems with some of their past games, like Kotor 2, Fallout NV and Alpha Protocol. I love pretty much everything about Kotor 2, but it sure as hell had it’s fair share of technical problems and cut content. I think Obsidian really needs to step it up a notch for their next game so it’s not unfinished, unpolished, lackluster, and full of bugs and other technical issues.

• Cerius says:

Yes, because I’m sure Obsidian wanted to release KOTOR2 that way…

What?

28. Cybexx says:

Obsidian has had too many polishing issues across too many games with too many publishers to believe that these issues stem purely from publisher relations issues.

That said, they always tend to make interesting games, flawed as they may be. Games like Alpha Protocol are worth sticking through the jank to see their interesting narrative mechanics through. So I say good luck with the pitch. Disney seems a pretty fickle publisher as far as triple-A releases go but I assume they will be wanting some bigger hardcore Star Wars games to coincide with their new Trilogy. We’ve even seen with LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean and LEGO Marvel Super Heroes that they are willing to license out their properties to other publishers.

29. BaZe says:

Do or Do not, Obsidian. There is no pitch

30. Ice Tops says:

The only Obsidian rpg that I have experience with is kotor II, and I honestly think that it was a better game in every way than Kotor I (even without the restored content). I have faith that if they are given the greenlight for this project (please, Obsidian, use a Jedi mind meld on Disney!), it will be spectacular… especially on the new gen consoles.

I lost faith in Bioware after swtor. Please, Obsidian, help the fans that wanted a Kotor III! You’re our only hope!