Scribblenauts No Longer Arbitrarily Unavailable In Europe

By Nathan Grayson on February 16th, 2013 at 10:00 am.

Maxwell's smile is so unabashedly gleeful that I'm almost not disturbed by the fact that he's flashing it because a dragon's killing god.

Remember when Scribblenauts Unlimited simultaneously launched in all territories thanks to the lightspeed techno-magic of the 21st century? Well then, congratulations. You evidently live in a pristinely wound clockwork dimension where things actually make sense. Others of us aren’t so fortune. Case in point: the entirety of Europe. While North America got the whimsically open-ended puzzler back in November, Warner Bros decided to shove its European release date into “early 2013″ for no apparent reason. Seriously, even developer 5th Cell was basically baffled. But now, finally, mercifully, anyone can grab it on Steam.

On the upside, Unlimited’s definitely worth the wait. Defying the extremely brittle shackles of Warner Bros region-locking, John scribbled naught but good things about Scribblenauts. (And, OK, also a few totally legitimate criticisms.) Still though, these are the words you should be paying attention to:

“When Scribblenauts Unlimited all comes together, it’s unquestionably a magical thing. Being tasked with turning a station wagon into a fire engine, I was told I needed to provide a DJ with something he could wire up to it to make it loud. A siren seemed the obvious choice, but I wondered – maybe, just maybe? I typed in the word, and yup – it offered me two choices: a traditional siren, or the alluring sea monster. Picking the second one, there appeared a winged, green-haired lady, warbling notes. I gave her to the DJ, who carried her over and attached her to the car. Done.”

Steam Workshop support’s also part of the package, so if you go rummaging through your infinite bag of tricks for something that simply doesn’t exist (for instance, Pokemon or a version of Jesus who’s made of cheese or a shark that’s also a minigun), just get it from somebody else. Or make it yourself. The editor’s pretty simple, so the strange, twisted reaches of your imagination are your only limit.

So yes, go! Create things! Frighten children! Scribblenauts will run you £22.99.

, , .

1. Yanahma says:

Still too expensive for my liking. I’ll wait for the 50% sale. Which is torturing me a little bit, because I’ve heard and seen so many good things about this game.

Phinor says:

I actually bought the game for $7.50 during Amazon sales. Just had to wait couple of months for it to actually unlock, but at least the price was reasonable for what was basically a pre-order.

So it’s quite probable that it will drop in price quickly again.

• ikbenbeter says:

To be fair, the game costs much more on WiiU and 3DS

Llewyn says:

I’d have been fairly happy to pay something around ‘full price’ for it if it hadn’t been for that ridiculous Amazon sale; if the publisher’s happy with it being sold for peanuts months before it’s even available here then I’m happy to wait until it’s at a similar price again.

• terry says:

Even with that ridiculous discount, I’m still annoyed at the delay. Regional restrictions, eh?

Ham Solo says:

You could download it in europe earlier, though.
    And you could just use the “exe” file in the game folder to start the game.

3. onsamyj says:

Combine cat and toast. Just sayin’.

4. JFS says:

‘s a good thing the world finally has unlimited access to this game.

5. Renegade says:

Bah and I had only just bought Crusader Kings II in the linux sale. I was going to wait for scribblenauts to pop up in a steam sale but knowing that the game has workshop support I want it now!

Gap Gen says:

You can make anything appear in CKII, as long as it’s a horrifically inbred child.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

That’s uncannily accurate. One of my dynasties had a scion who would have been indistinguishable from a potato but for the fact that he could not be used to power a digital clock.

6. Tuckey says:

Pirated it, got bored of it, forgotten it existed by now

• DickSocrates says:

How many other games did you pirate around that time? Back in the olden days when I cared enough to bother pirating, I never enjoyed anything I downloaded. It was all valueless.

• Cunning Linguist says:

I doubt those paying top dollar on release date enjoy shit or boring games more. Good games are good regardless of whether they’re payed for.

7. Nickel says:

So, did Mr Slaczka reveal the reason for this ridiculous delay? Because I’m pretty sure he said that there were actual, real and totally not-bullcrap-related reasons that he just couldn’t talk about until later.

• BTAxis says:

Maybe there was a reference to a “ninja” somewhere that they had to change to “hero”.

RedViv says:

It has been alluded to that it has to do with something in the publishing contract they have with Nintendo of Europe.

8. SkittleDiddler says:

You Euros aren’t missing much. The game is a lot of fun for a little bit, then you start to see how many limitations they placed on the usable vocabulary and it starts to feel pretty strictured.

Pro tip: you can’t create a vagina tower. It just doesn’t work.

9. DickSocrates says:

Is there even a proper game any more? All I saw were tasks, barely any platforming. And the change to areas rather than levels seemed like a mistake. Even when you do a task, the animation and feedback is sorely lacking so you don’t feel like you’ve really done the thing that was asked.

All the videos of people experimenting seemed pointless too, you make a thing, then you make it fly or give it a flaming sword. And that’s about it, you can’t do anything compelling with what you make.

• Spengbab says:

It’s a proper non-game game. An anti-game? Not interested either, but apparently there’s a market for it.

• The Random One says:

Wait, solving tasks is not a game? Did the adventure game get kicked out?

I did find it too repetetive though, mostly because I think I was too creative for the game and later on just played it safe, and ended up missing out on interesting combinations that would have indeed worked (like moving a big spiked ball by attaching it to a tiny tow truck, putting a thief there so he would steal the truck, then putting a diamond on the other side of the room to the thief would drive there to pick it up and drag the ball with him) (it didn’t work because I tried ‘carjacker’).

• terry says:

Was there ever any platforming in Scribblenauts? I played both the DS games but I can’t recall a single moment that required anything more than running like hell from whatever angry entity you accidentally created.

10. OrangyTang says:

From a previous article, the developer said:

“Nope. It’s due to stuff I can’t talk about until 2013. Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts were released NA and EU the same day. Trust me. I want your money.”

…and other such comments implied there was some kind of big… thing…. happening with the EU release and that we’d all be happy we waited and they could tell us more later. So what happened? Has anyone managed to follow up on this?

I want to believe they weren’t bullshitting us on this, but I’m still not seeing any reason for the delay.

Llewyn says:

I think you read too much into that. He couldn’t talk about it because it was imposed by the publisher, with whom he has a contract that won’t allow him to discuss why said publisher is effectively screwing him out of European sales.

11. Strangerator says:

This is a fairly simple game, but the real fun to be had is in finding out what all they’ve put in there.

One of my favorite combos is “narwhal” and “minigun”. And yes, just like in the real world, narwhals can fly, and be ridden.

If you just create the obvious answer to solve puzzles, you will likely find the game boring. Try to find ways to solve puzzles that make you laugh. You’ll be surprised how often it works.

• sinister agent says:

Don’t be ridiculous. You can’t ask people to play something. Games aren’t meant to be played with, they’re meant to be “beaten”.

• Mrs Columbo says:

Ha. I’ve never understood the use of the term ‘beaten’ either. It’s not a war. Unless the game’s Men of War.

• Cunning Linguist says:

Most likely the phrase comes from good ol’ ‘murica, where if you’re not fightin and winnin, you’re a loser.

Anyway. It’s out there. I remember chuckling at guiding enraged mammoths and giants to trample on bandits in Skyrim and my girlfriend -who knows nothing of games- hearing me cackle and asking “you winning?”

I guess i was, in a cowardly way.
          BTW Skyrim won , and the long-neglected girlfriend dumped me.

win some, lose some.

• NathanH says:

You have to watch out though, one minute you’re innocently beating your computer games and next minute Cara Ellison is harassing you about BDSM.

• Mrs Columbo says:

Gawd has she been doing that to you as well? Tsk…

The woman’s insatiable.

Gap Gen says:

The only way to win is to wear a FROG COSTUME and FAST JETPACK at all times. And, indeed, in the game itself.

• The Random One says:

I prefer a FAST MAGIC CARPET. I might take you up on the frog costume though.

Or just a HANDSOME FEDORA, which is a fedora wearing a fedora.

• Velko says:

So far, my favourite means of transportation is a BLUE FLYING MAGICAL KANGAROO wearing a moustache, but it’s got itself a tough competitor from HUGE FLYING MECHANICAL STURGEON.

• Rognik says:

My personal favorite puzzle solutions:
      -Giving a fisherman a grenade is an acceptable way to help him fish.
      -Stopping an internet pirate can be accomplished with an intercontinental ballistic missile (why hasn’t America thought of this before?)
      -A person can’t sleep because their roommate is snoring. Solved by making the person deaf.
      -Santa needs a gift for nice children. “Creepy Old Man” is an acceptable gift.
      -Santa needs a gift for naughty children. “Dirty Panties” is an acceptable gift.
      -Rudolf needs to be even brighter to guide Santa. Making Rudolph radioactive is acceptable but then Santa walks past Rudolf and dies of radiation poisoning.

12. Greg_Robinson says:

just as Michael explained I’m impressed that a mother able to profit $9421 in four weeks on the computer. did you read this site…. http://www.snag4.com

neofit says:

Don’t care much, I am put off by the “children aged 3 to 5″ art style.