Oh My God JC, A Trademark – Deus Ex: Human Defiance

By Alec Meer on February 27th, 2013 at 8:00 pm.

Schmexy!

Now, don’t go jumping to any conclusions just yet. That’s how poor old Richard Kimble ended up having such a hard time of things. All that’s happened is that Squeenix have taken out a trademark in the name of ‘Deus Ex: Human Defiance.’ It could be anything. It could be nothing. It could be a game. It could be a movie. It could be another ropey spin-off comic. It could be a typo. It could be the official Deus Ex pancake mix.

It’s probably a game though, innit?

“Deus Ex: Human Defiance,” then. A trademark for it was taken out in Europe by Square Enix’s UK office yesterday, and I guess the re-use of ‘Human’ is the telling part if it does indeed relate to a new DX game. After all, 2011’s successful resurrection of the series probably reached more new players than it did DX veterans, so ‘Human Revolution’ likely carries as much marketing clout as Deus Ex does by now.

The trademark seems to cover everything. Specifically, “Computer games software; computer games, comprising computer software; video games, comprising computer software; video games software; games for mobile phones, comprising computer software; computer software for computer games, video games and games for mobile phones supplied on line by means of multi-media electronic broadcast or network transmission; publications in electronic form or other data provided by means of multi-media electronic broadcast or network transmission; disks and tapes pre-recorded with computer game software, video game software, feature film entertainment or other electronic publications” and also “Printed matter; books; educational and training materials; computer game strategy guides; stationery; magazines and periodicals; newssheets; and newsletters; photographs, postcards and posters; comics, comic books, and cartoons.”

Much as the official Deus Ex stationery set is appealing, ‘games’ is the most frequently recurring term in there, so I’m going to cautiously predict/hope that is indeed the true purpose of this trademark. In which case, woo!

I’d really like to see Eidos Montreal get to make another DX. Everything I’ve read suggests they’re well aware of what did and didn’t work in DXHR, and of course they’d have more publisher confidence behind this time around. I did ask for this.

Also, I discovered while searching the trademark applications site that there’s an Italian chocolate called Deus Ex. Puts ‘soft centre’ in a whole new light, eh?

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. FurryLippedSquid says:

My pancakes are augmented.

• cronach says:

I never asked for this syrup.

• Vorphalack says:

”I never whisked for this!”

And neither will you with the Deus Ex official pancake mix! Just add water to the nanite powder and enjoy delicious pancakes in minutes!

(nanite powder may or may not contain nuts)

• x3m157 says:

That reminds me of talking about the best thing to go with nanite cheese in Planetside 2 yesterday…

(the answer was nanite Tostitos, in case you’re wondering.)

• thecat17 says:

The food system. Hmmm. Now that you mention it. Wait a minute. This isn’t right.

• zain3000 says:

I wanted orange marmalade. It gave me lemon icing!

• heldelance says:

Ah the memories. I really need to install DX again and listen to Gunther go on about the machine.

• Scumbag says:

I’m starving! Dont you have anything to eat?

• Bob says:

Sorry kid. All I have is this pancake mix, a litre of milk, 50 grams of butter, a skillet, a portable stove, an egg flip, and a plastic bottle full of maple syrup.

• MrUnimport says:

You mechs may have copper elements to toast your bread, but I’ve got heat vision.

2. coldvvvave says:

Desperate.

psepho says:

Hmm. I get home from work and immediately see TMView linked on RPS — it’s like a weird recurring nightmare…

4. Hoaxfish says:

Next up, Deus Ex: Human League

5. omicron1 says:

My hopes this time round:
    *Female main character. That would offer an intriguing new angle on the whole “privilege vs. wealth” theme.
    *New color scheme. Gold was nice, but… Something else, please?
    *A storyline that places you on the outside looking in where augmentation is concerned. Maybe you play as a cat burglar and slowly make your way into the high life, only to discover it’s not all you dreamed it would be? Maybe you get open-world elements, Thief-style robberies, and actual augmentations?

• RandomEsa says:

How about show how someone would get augmentations and how they would become addicted to the drug so much that they would sell everything they got to get even a dash of it. The thing that the deus ex trailer showed but the game didn’t deliver. Still HR was one of the best games in this generation. I just hope they don’t half ass it.

I guess the title could be “Deus Ex: Invisible Revolution”

• PearlChoco says:

How about teal? Maybe with some orange?

Gap Gen says:

I guess there’s gonna be a female character if we’re introducing De Fiancé.

• Hoaxfish says:

“My breasts are augmented” is hardly futuristic

• finbikkifin says:

It is if they’ve got a taser function and play your mp3s.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

I LOL’d

• smb says:

Yeah, built-in taser. That’s one way to cut down sexual harassment while maintaining artificially large boobages.

• Totally heterosexual says:

Just speakers instead of tits.

• heldelance says:

Depends on the augment. It could be like in that weird, severely frakked up Jap movie, The Machine Girl. There was that one villain that had drill-tits. She could scream “My breasts are augmented!”

• Berzee says:

I agree with these bullet points! (In the meantime you can always play Invisible War for an optionally female protagonist =)

• Canisa says:

Oh, hey, don’t worry that the new game didn’t have a female protagonist in it; you can play a ten year old one that’s widely regarded as being the worst in the franchise instead!

6. zgtc says:

I wonder if it’s a reverse initialism (as with Painkiller: Hell and Damnation) and if this is just a prettying-up of the original.

7. deadly.by.design says:

I believe my official reaction is “YUSSSSSS.”

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

I second that emotion, I do think that in many regards Human Revolution managed to surpass the original (it came up short in others, obviously the boss fights for one); the art design was astounding, the environmental storytelling in say, Adam’s apartment created one of the finest mis-en-scenes in any game, the mechanics were atypically polished for the genre’s standard, the hacking system was glorious, the pseudo-randomised conversational confrontations were a unique approach to NPC interaction, feeling genuinely like a contest of wills and augmentations and systems were used more consistently throughout than in the original.

I think it was the first time one was free from the introduction, in the lobby of Sarif Industries, looking up at more offices than in two UNATCO headquarters sandwiched together, being able to explore every single one, being able to hack every computer, search every desk and talk to every NPC, I realised that not since Metroid Prime has a game delivered on such a cogently and artistically realised fictional world. Being set free on the streets of Detroit and then Heng Sha, only further surpassed that feeling.

I’m looking forward to a sequel (and Thief 4) more than Half-Life 3.

8. Sparkasaurusmex says:

You know Deus Ex HR was pretty good, and the flaws were obvious.
    I think obvious flaws should get nixed in any sequel. Probably won’t outsource boss fights, that’s for sure.

• deadpan says:

I see Human Revolution as Eidos Montreal’s practice run for Thief 4. If they learn from their missteps and keep the parts that worked that game is looking pretty good.

• morgofborg says:

Eidos-M are making Watch Dogs, aren’t they? I hope to see some of its open world, hacking, and NPC interactivity in a Deus Ex game.

• Teovald says:

A real story this time around would be nice.
      HR’s story felt like the Hollywoodian remake of a foreign indie movie.
      The game mechanics were also a bit flawed, I ended up chain choking all my enemies.

• Runs With Foxes says:

HR’s flaws are more fundamental than boss fights. They need to learn how to design levels, for starters (more like the dock, less like everything else). They need to lose the cinematic pretensions, so ditch the endless cutscenes and those stupid takedowns. They need to add consumable items like the old lockpicks and multitools so players have more options. They need to design a stealth system that’s more interesting than a modern day Pacman. They need to rework their XP system so it encourages you to complete objectives how you want instead of rewarding you for every single action like a good little dog. They need to design some augmentations that are actually interesting and useful, and probably resist the urge to devote a huge chunk of them to a shitty minigame.

• aliksy says:

Oh, yeah, the xp system in DX3 was pretty bad. It strongly encouraged silent takedowns, which meant you really wanted to clear the entire level if you wanted to get your level-ups quicker. I thought that was a bit stupid.

• transientmind says:

Awh, but I loved those cinematic takedowns! I’d do them JUST so I could see the clever ways of quickly taking out two people almost simultaneously!

• Jamesworkshop says:

XP system was fine

Combat heavy characters only use about 5 augmentations, the get every augmentation style just means excessive tedium and buying stuff you must never use.

You buy 10 praxis kits and many can be found in the enviroment, XP is not everything, losing XP doesn’t make you weaker, you don’t gain level like skills, like in DX1.

argumentations don’t exactly make you better with the shotgun or heavy rifle.

The weapon upgrades are far more important.

• Tyrone Slothrop. says:

The excellent DLC, The Missing Link showed they learnt their lesson in regards to boss fights.

9. F3ck says:

Actually read this around midnight (Pac/US) and later dreamed of HR…

…a damned fine game that – minus certain elements (e.g.,requisite boss fights, etc) – needs to be revisited.

I’ll buy the living shit out of a sequel…threequel? No – what’s after that?

10. Yosharian says:

What I want this time round: the game they promised us the first time, that is a game which is based more on Deus Ex than DE: IW.

11. Kinth says:

Adam Jensen: ” I did actually ask for this” Not bad.jpg

Llewyn says:

Never mind the damn game, tell me more about this chocolate!

• thecat17 says:

Pre-Order Most-Expensive Edition will be encased in the latest technology of chocolate. Eating the whole box unlocks the elusive “My sweet-tooth is augmented.” achievement in Steam.

• transientmind says:

Nevermind the chocolate, let’s hear more about the stationery! Is it weird to be a stationery nerd? There’s just something about crisp, clean, blank pages all in a row and virginal pens and pencils that just really excites me. I would absolutely purchase loads of Deus Ex stationery and mail my friends letters they didn’t ask for.

13. mehteh says:

” series probably reached more new players than it did DX veterans”
    I couldnt get past the obvious and cliche japanese designs. Archaic inventory management, chick in hte very beginning has an over-the-top hair style, boss fights that contradicted your playstyle, etc and above all it felt like a console focus FPS.

• finbikkifin says:

I played Deus Ex back in the day, and regularly did the “Damn. Reinstalling.” thing whenever someone mentioned it, and I didn’t find Human Revolution to be console-focused? It was a good game, and a good Deus Ex game.

Also, seriously, you’re complaining about “archaic inventory management” and then saying it doesn’t feel enough like a PC game?

• mckertis says:

“I didn’t find Human Revolution to be console-focused?”

DX1 had ten activatable augmentation. DX:HR has four.

• JackShandy says:

That’s a common argument that confuses Complexity with Depth, and Depth with PC Gaming. Ten Augmentations are not automatically better than Four.

• Voon says:

And? If it’s console-focused, it could’ve been another Invisible War instead. Plus, you can only choose one of two augs for each body part. Most of which aren’t that useful anyway.

• Runs With Foxes says:

Considering a lot of their influences were ‘underground anime’ (actual quote) and console games like Metal Gear Solid, it’s no surprise …

• Cockles says:

If it was a cconsole focus FPS then that was not an obvious hinderence to me, I’d be interested to hear why it was console focused and what was wrong with it being so.

One thing I seem to remember people complaining about was the items highlighting and the game showing you where to go at every second (or something along those lines) and this made it a console-style game, which is funny because I didn’t even realise that you could highlight items, either I turned it off in the options without realising, or the hardest difficulty just switched these off automatically. Being the obsessive about reading every thing and opening every crate, I played it a 2nd time with these aids on.

I’m not saying that was your argument by the way.

14. wodin says:

I remember the massive out pouring of praise when it first came out..yet for me I grew bored quite quickly to be honest..it was a decent game but no classic..well it isn’t for me anyway.

I find that with most games where people praise to the heavens these days. The only game in recent years I’ve found truly is something special is Crusader Kings 2. The rest like HR and Dishonoured I found good but they didn’t blow my mind nor did they have lasting appeal or replayability.

I’m hoping some of the Kickstarter games throw up a true classic. Oh and even though I promised myself not to do it I find myself getting very excited about the possibilities of is that game you can hack phones and traffic lights etc etc, if thats as open world as it appears it could be something special.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

Still havent finished it. Got bored at the Chinese Labs bit and never went back. Now when I load up my save game I’ve forgotten how to play and can’t be arsed to re-learn. Definitely not one that pulled me in.

15. SkittleDiddler says:

NO DAMN BOSS FIGHTS PLEASE.

16. Infinitron says:

Judging by the name, there’s a chance the game will be about the rise of the NSF and the beginning of the breakdown of the United States as seen in the original game. Maybe we’ll get to meet Leon Woods.

17. finbikkifin says:

I agree with the main image’s mouseover text. If I hadn’t already played the game, that piece of art would get me looking at it. It has style~

18. jussipe says:

Old men are the future.

19. deadpan says:

Defiance?

Somebody at SquareEnix has been reading my Legacy of Kain/Deus Ex crossover fan fiction!

20. CMaster says:

Things that would be nice:
    Using the oodles of memory in the new consoles to have “proper” Deus Ex levels, where there is an actual building/facility and you take your own approach.

A storyline that isn’t about saving the world, but something more personal. What work went into the characterization and so on in DXHR got somewhat lost in the globe trotting and somewhat daft Ragnarok scenario.

PeopleLikeFrank says:

“A storyline that isn’t about saving the world” is my wish for pretty much every game made forever now. Can’t really count the number of world- (galaxy-, universe-) ending EPIC THREATS OF DEADLY EPIC OMINOUS DEADLY DOOM I’ve thwarted. (Minus one million extra points if “foretold in prophecy”.)

• transientmind says:

See, this is why I enjoyed DA2’s story and main character more than DA:O – ‘Champion of Kirkwall’ seemed to happen by accident and seriously bad luck, with motives that were human (‘toppled an entire system of religious governance, but honestly really just wanted to save my sister’) rather than world-saving champion of destiny.

• MrUnimport says:

Yes. This is massively important. Buildings that are BUILDINGS, bases that aren’t a series of connected rooms in sequence to take out guards in. This is one of my most major disappointments about DX3.

The boss fights I have no qualms with, the only real issue is the amount of damage they do/soak up. Something more forgiving, and mechanics-focused, like in a typical Metal Gear Solid, would be quite welcome.

At least we can agree the boss fights were better than in Deus Ex 1, right? Where you took out your biggest gun and tried to outspam the other guy? Or lined the area with LAMs early on?

21. povu says:

The Missing Link shows that they know how to do proper ‘boss fights’ in Deus Ex.

22. Lone Gunman says:

It’s not the end of the world; but you can see it from here.

23. Alexander says:

I’m asking for a new game so hard it hurts,

24. Liudeius says:

Nice, I just got into DX:HR, and yes please, I would like another (also I’m hopeful about that CD Projekt project in case DX fails).
    Of course that’s only after using cheat engine to hack the battery bar to regenerate fully so I can actually use all my cool powers rather than “melee attack, sit around for a minute and a half, cloak for a few seconds, sit around for a minute and a half, melee attack” and so on. (or 20 seconds if you max regeneration, but still, I would prefer five batteries ready to use and only have to wait if I’m using it excessively.)
    Also to give myself an extra 10 praxis and not have to worry about having to play one exact play style (stealth, ghost, pacifist, double take down) to be able to get exp.

While rewarding players for skill is nice and all, when the rewards actively discourage variety of play, it is a terrible system.
    That and when the basic game design discourages use of your augmentations… That’s kind of stupid. If I want CoD, I’ll play CoD, I want augments. (On a side note, DX the first, does it have a good augmentation system? I’ve been eyeing it on GOG.)

PeopleLikeFrank says:

Yes. The augmentation system and skills are completely separate in DX 1, so your weapon or hacking ability is totally unrelated to whether you can jump 15 feet or cloak or whatever. I’ve missed the separate skills/augs in every DX game since. It definitely lets you mix & match your abilities & play style much more, since you can do things like install the melee combat aug or invest in the melee weapons skill, or both if you prefer to min-max.

As for augmentations, you have to actually find a canister containing the augmentation before you can install it. You then have a choice of 2 mutually exclusive augmentations per slot. So you can choose to either run silently or run fast & jump high, for example. In this sense, it’s much like the augmentation systems in the later games.

Get it! Its status as a classic is well deserved.

25. cjlr says:

As long as it still features my uncle in major roles, and bizarre cameos of Montreal architecture, then I don’t care. I’ll take it.

26. Kid_A says:

Be interesting to see if we get another comic book out of those “printed matter” trademarks, the one that came with Human Revolution had surprisingly good art direction.

27. farsighter says:

Greatest game about getting friendzoned.

28. Velko says:

My ninth is augmented!

/elitistmusicianpuns

29. guygodbois00 says:

Oh, my God, JC Denton, surely?

30. Megakoresh says:

Hello, and welcome to the speculation. It’s not the beginning of hype, but you can see it from here…

31. Spoon Of Doom says:

Dammit, I haven’t even finished Human Revolution yet, and it’s been so long that I don’t even really remember where I was, let alone what decisions I made or who I met, so I guess I’ll have to start from the beginning.
    I hate earth for having only 24 hours in a day.

32. Captain Joyless says:

It will be a microtransaction-based F2P mobile game.

33. Bobtree says:

DX:HD will have a new upgraded ending machine with 5 buttons! More than 4! Not 6! FIVE!

34. F3ck says:

It’s probably a game though, innit?

Nope…it’s a movie.