Post-Modern – ‘Call Of Duty: Ghosts’ Busted

By Alec Meer on April 24th, 2013 at 4:30 pm.

Another year, another Call of Duty. So Jesus told Moses, and so Moses told Gandalf, and so we all now know it. The obvious money’s been on this year’s slice of shooting man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man after man being a new entry in the Modern Warfare series, but UK supermarket Tesco briefly put up a packshot for something called Call of Duty: Ghosts earlier today. It’s gone now, but not before I assembled the following high-res pic out of its weird image zoom thing.

(That sounds like it’s a setup for a trick. It isn’t, promise).

Just imagine the beetroot-red face and furiously flaring nostrils of Bobby Kotick when he found out this had been leaked:

OH MY GOD IT’S A SOLDIER IN CAMOUFLAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where do they get their ideas?

Notice the PS3 logo there. That suggests this will be ‘current-gen’, as those console oiks call it, and that may affect the pretties of the inevitable PC version. Then again, there might well be a ‘next-gen’ version too. We know nuffink right now. Other than the thing about the soldier in camouflage, but anyone could have guess that. Also, Infinity Ward appear to be at the helm once again, as per the year on/year off pattern they share with Treyarch.

, .

1. andytizer says:

Please can we start calling this COD:GOATS (courtesy of @dartt).

videogone says:

I hope this title will match up to the traditional high standard set by stealth sections in action games.

Edit: If anything, this ghastly cover shows that the series is a mere ghost of its former self, etc.

3. razster says:

Rather dull looking cover. Guess they’re taming things down a bit. Cookie cutter, AWAY!

• Ultra Superior says:

White male. Whale.

Had they used black woman instead, they’d save on camouflage and they could pay her less. It’s game industry after all, huh? Kotick hates money I guess.

• Atrocious says:

You like Blomen?

• Baines says:

You know women are moved to the back of the box for DudeBro shooters.

RedViv says:

Which, if we were to take up the suggested depiction of a darker lady, might showcase a few problems more clearly. Can’t have that.

• Baines says:

Content like that might need to be restricted to the manual. If you can find a manual.

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Oh come now, the manual will certainly be included! …in your program files/CODGOATS/bin/local/support/eng/files/pdf/manual folder… it’s four pages: how to install (mostly irrelevant information unless you own the CD) and a very well written epilepsy warning.

• Syra says:

I’m sorry did he just say a black person could save money on camo and totally get away with it?

colossalstrikepackage says:

I don’t know. I’ve blocked sexist posters. Who knew some of them are racist too?

• BobbyDylan says:

Why would it be racist? Sure, it’s a little coarse in a society that’s ravaged by as much guilt as most western nations are, but can’t see it being racist. Soldiers darken their skin to be harder to see in the dark. Having a darker skin would (satirically) be cheaper. I don’t see how this is any worse than saying ginger haired people are prone to sunburn.

• Ultra Superior says:

Would the game be situated in arctic daylight, rather than ghostly night, they’d do best to opt for a fair skinned lady to slash the costs. Dammit can’t think of anything sexist. Balls! Women have no balls!

lurkalisk says:

Seemed pretty obvious to me Ultra was satirizing Activision…

• Sparkasaurusmex says:

Not only that but they work for less money!

darkChozo says:

But does it have shoots?

• nimzy says:

But does it have explosive barrels? This is kind of a deal-breaker for me.

• Brun says:

What about cowering scientists in white lab coats? If there’s any staple of 90′s-era FPS that needs to return, it’s that!

• Ultra Superior says:

I hate all of the mundane walking.

I hope it’s one giant mounted turret sequence with cool QTE bossfight at the end.

• burben says:

Does it have scripted set pieces? Call of Duty’s been lacking in this department and if this doesn’t evolve the series like CoD 7 I’ll only buy the Limited Edition.

• BobbyDylan says:

Dont be absurde, it’s not a Battlefield game.

• Drake Sigar says:

Do we get to kill foreigners? My xenophobia hasn’t been fed in months!

RedViv says:

Do we get to kill foreigners in a country that seems to use the completely wrong language on signs everywhere? That would be best.

• Jamesworkshop says:

Yes, like in every non-civil war ever

Gap Gen says:

And even then, you can always pitch into someone else’s civil war. I hear Syria is nice this time of year.

5. d3vilsadvocate says:

*Yawn*

6. v_ware says:

Could have guessed that.

7. Timberfox says:

At least this opens up the series for more naming conventions.

Call of Duty: Poltergeist

Gap Gen says:

Zombie ghost mode. Calling it.

darkChozo says:

Communist Werewolves mode. Calling it.

• staberas says:

No way they are THAT creative , Zombie Neo-Nazis! there :P

• Eddy9000 says:

I would so play a game with communist werewolves. Even if it was CoD.

• Pockets says:

The Werewolves were COMMUNISTS! – A B-Movie SWAT-like shooter filled with McCarthyism, lycanthropy and the occult. I now want that so much :(

Gap Gen says:

I too want a game where werewolves are a metaphor for the Red Scare in the US.

• finbikkifin says:

If Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon has any lasting effect on the industry, I hope it’s that developers will start programming zombie modes, sigh, slap their foreheads, and goddamn pick something other than zombies for a change AND NO THAT DOES NOT MEAN JUST USE DINOSAURS, USE DINOSAURS IF THEY’RE THE BEST FIT BUT AT LEAST CONSIDER OTHER OPTIONS oh look, I forgot to take my medication this morning and it’s sitting by my keyboard.

• finbikkifin says:

I mean if it has to be the undead, try skeletons or something. “Oh god, my bullets go right through the holes between their bones!” “The bayonets do nothing!” “SMASH THEM WITH YOUR RIFLE BUTT AND BOOOOOOTS!”

Werethings are good too. Halfway through a team deathmatch, the moon comes out and a bunch of players from both teams randomly transform into werewolves! Everyone else has to team up to fight them off! Or werebears! But no. That’d be more interesting than zombies, we can’t have that.

9. v_ware says:

I wonder what insane acronym they are gonna make ghosts stand for.

10. Yawny says:

I predict unlockable hats just like in TF2!
    Why else would they have a hat covering about half of the poster, while the soldier is barely visible?

• etho says:

I hesitate to point this out, and reveal the shameful extent of my COD knowledge, but I believe that is the character Ghost from the Modern Warfare games. He always wore a balaclava with a silly skullface fingerpainted on it. There were rumours a while back, I think, of a spinoff game all about him, and, well, this appears to be it.

11. Milky1985 says:

I guess Ubisoft and Tom Clancies lawyers will be looking over this one with a fine tooth comb, if they ever tell the ghosts to check ahead by saying “Ghosts, Recon” a lawsuit will head there way quicker than a bullet from a gun :P

12. Loyal_Viggo says:

‘Call of Duty : NAZI ZOMBIES’ is a much better name.

The more Nazis and more Zombies there are, the greater the profit!

Surlywombat says:

How many graphics will it have?

• Ultra Superior says:

3-4 hours on normal difficulty

Gap Gen says:

Well, not too many, as I suppose this will be on the xboxs and tionplaystations. Perhaps seventy? Or is that too high. It’s been a while since I counted.

14. Arithon says:

This is a “next generation” title. The cut-scenes and swearing come on the disc, but the actual game is only available as paid DLC….

15. Blinky343 says:

In a way, it’s reassuring to have CODs and Maddens tick out year after year

16. jokigenki says:

In a departure from the series thus far, this is a game in which you play an elite special forces soldier on a camping holiday. The whole game plays out around a campfire, where you must try to tell the scariest story possible. If you win, you are awarded the GHOSTFACE.

wengart says:

So the main character will probably be Ghost. He was one of the guys for CODMW2.

He has a comic book: http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Modern_Warfare_2:_Ghost

• Ultra Superior says:

They call him duty. I mean they call him Ghost, because he disappeared from TESCO.

Gap Gen says:

“Hello…? Oh hi, yeah… what? No, it’s Duty on the phone. Yeah. No, sorry, was just talking to my friend here. Yeah, it’s cool. You’re bringing bullets? Sweet, yeah, we’re running low. Nah, take your time. The enemies are respawning continuously, so we won’t activate any triggers until you get here. Cool, yeah, 20 mins is fine. OK, love ya… no, sorry, Pripyat is on the other line, gotta take this. See you in 20.”

• Ultra Superior says:

!!!! :D my oh my.

I have never subscribed to any RSS feed but I’d subscribe to your comments.

Gap Gen says:

It’s like blogging for the lazy and parasitic.

Also I like the idea of TESCO being a paramilitary organisation.

• Trumpeldor says:

I want a game where I play as Strelok’s buddy Ghost, called Call of Freedom: Fall of Duty.

18. Dowr says:

Where’s the orange and blue?

19. AnotherGamingEnglishman says:

Wait wait wait wait… Is that a Modern Military Shooter cover that doesn’t involve a solitary figure walking solemnly through a nightmare of photoshop grunge brushes with a backdrop of oddly placed vehicles?

20. MonolithicTentacledAbomination says:

That is a pretty terrible cover.

21. marsilainen says:

They should start naming these like EA sports games and just add the next year to the end.

Lambchops says:

No one has said “I ain’t afraid of no ghost” yet!

For shame, RPS for shame!

• Berzee says:

This is because, deep down, we know.. We know we’re afraid of a ghost.

RedViv says:

Mostly of the kind that you can only get to go away with a camera.

colossalstrikepackage says:

All this talk of fear is weak. You know who to call!

Gap Gen says:

There’s something strange, but it’s on the next road along so, ah, fuck it. Going to bed.

23. MOKKA says:

Tesco… Wasn’t that the place with the horsemeat?

24. Ultra Superior says:

His nostrils are helluva flaring.

25. MaryMcNeill24 says:

Emily. I can see what your saying… Anthony`s remark is incredible, on saturday I bought Chevrolet after having made $4484 this-last/4 weeks an would you believe ten grand last-month. it’s actualy the easiest work Ive ever done. I actually started nine months/ago and right away began to bring home more than $86… per-hr. I use this web-site, Big44.com

26. Artificial says:

Black Ops II was my first and most probably last foray into the Call of Duty series. I got addicted to it for the first few months and played it at every possible moment, but in the end it just felt so stale.

27. zeekthegeek says:

Ghosts? Aaaah, too spooky.

28. Jasper says:

Its good to see that Shepard found a job after his role in the mass effect series ended.

29. Radiant says:

Why would anyone buy anything for the ps3 or 360 this year?
    They’re just going to have to throw the game in the bin when the new consoles come out.

• Grygus says:

My estranged ex-friends in the console gaming world seem to believe that purchasing a console too close to release is a bad idea; they feel like you’re just setting yourself up for artificial shortages, bugs in manufacturing, and perhaps even missing features by not waiting for the second run. No idea how many people actually think this way, or how accurate it is, but there’s a reason for you.

darkChozo says:

In addition, late-cycle console games tend to be the best of the bunch, and often look better or close to early-cycle games in the next cycle. Developers being familiar with architecture and such.

In addition to the addition, new consoles tend to have software issues in addition to hardware issues, for the obvious reason that they don’t come with a multiyear catalog of games. Often “good” games don’t start showing up for anywhere from a couple of months to over a year after the console releases. Therefore, there’s not much reason to unplug your old console for quite a while.

RedViv says:

Only if they throw their consoles away instantly. Which people rarely do, I would imagine. Unless I’m some kind of grand exception.

Gap Gen says:

The PS2 still sold ridiculously well even after the current generation came out. Something about it being less than a hundred Queenpounds and not a squillion currency units.

30. Rollin says:

Oh good, the world needs another Call Of Duty game, it’s been months since the last one.

I tried to play Far Cry three but there wasn’t a corridor to walk down with locked doors on all sides, so I screamed and had to Alt-F4 before the jungle took my mind.

darkChozo says:

*reply fail*

(seems to be happening a lot to me lately for some reason or another)

RedViv says:

So how many player characters died in MW3 and BLOPS2? How many have to die this time to make up for the lack of novelty in this?

33. Jamesworkshop says:

COD:GHOSTS, Simon “Ghost” Riley reference or new franchise split

34. johnxfire says:

For shame RPS, this looks nothing like postmodernism at all. For shame.

35. analydilatedcorporatestyle says:

Did they ever diable the nukes in Russia in Modern Warefare 2. Never found out, got bored of moving and those peskies just kept on coming. I value the dust on the CD case more than it’s contents………

36. TheBarringGaffner says:

I want this to be 4 hours of running around an abandoned mansion shooting bedsheet ghosts while the protagonist repeated shouts “Ghosts ghosts ghosts ghosts ghosts ghosts ghosts!”

Henke says:

At the risk of getting ostracized by the RPS Kool Kru, allow me to (probably) be the first person in 3 pages worth of comments to say something positive:

I like the title, and I like the coverart.

• P.Funk says:

You like this generic mil-shooter nonsense? It promises nothing but generic unimaginative derivative swill the likes of which no doubt we’ve seen before and should surely expect to see over and over and over and over and over and over until eventually somebody nukes the two studios responsible for this. Sadly this would ironically prevent them from using their own dramatic annihilations as inspiration for the new title.

Frankly, that this crap works on people is half of whats wrong. You eat with your eyes apparently, and you just want to eat sawdust painted olive drab.

Can we get a war game that isn’t grainy and solarized and blue-hue’d to death? PLEASE!? I feel like we’re stucking gaming’s blue period. I think everyone must think that when you join the forces you get permanent 5 o’clock shadow and your whole world tints like your expensive Oakley’s.

Do you like CSI Miami? Do you get a little tickle in your junk when Horatio puts his shades on? Cause his one liners are like TV’s version of a Call of Duty game.

Yeesh.

38. Zero-Crescent says:

So I guess this means that we can call the antagonists… the Ghostbusters.

39. soaponapope says:

i disagree with this article. Call of Duty hasn’t jumped the shark quite yet. MW3 somehow managed to meet impossibly high expectations. you are thinking of Medal of Honor or Mortal Kombat. those two jumped the shark and just wouldn’t go the hell away. COD isn’t quite there yet. many developers outsource filler content to fund and maintain the flat managerial structure and agile development cycle needed to make a game like this as good as it is without crossing into Blizzard Time or Valve Time.

40. yeezus says:

” So Jesus told Moses, and so Moses told Gandalf,” thats a pretty stupid thing to write