Real-Time Collaborative Game Making: CraftStudio

By John Walker on April 24th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

We first spotted CraftStudio last year – a collaborative game making game, inspired by, but only loosely related to, Minecraft. Players share the tool by which games are designed and created, allowing people to work in teams as they develop, or even collaborate with strangers, creating games in all manner of genres. Blocks are pretty central, the nostrils on the game’s face, but the variation is offers is damned impressive – see below. And now, the beta lives.

The beta starts today, letting people into… well, it’s a lot easier to watch this:

With an emphasis on accessibility, one-man prodigy creator Elisée Maurer explains, wanting people to be able to start making games without any previous experience, or training. And wow, it looks powerful. The online collaboration element really seems like a winner here – I’m looking forward to seeing what games are born of it. Here are a few examples of what already has been:

There’s a restricted trial version available for free, and the full version costs €20 during the beta period (going up to €30 on release).

, , .

1. shrk says:

Really simple tools and some creative freedom?!
    I hope this makes it easier for more creative minds to get into game development and produce gameplay so great that we can all ignore the fact everything looks like Minecraft!

• calibypolege says:

Asher. even though Susan`s blog is cool… on friday I got a brand new Mazda since getting a check for $8080 thiss month and also $10,000 lass-month. with-out a doubt this is the easiest-work Ive had. I began this three months/ago and immediately got me more than $72, per/hr. I went to this site wow65.com
      (Go to site and open “Home” for details)

2. AnotherGamingEnglishman says:

I think “the nostrils on the game’s face” is the most ridiculous use of nostrils yet today.

• Koozer says:

This nostrils thing is really starting to get up my nose.

• theBU3NO says:

The idea of giving a game nostrils is nothing to sneeze at if you ask me.

3. nimzy says:

I think, rather than spending money on another programming environment, I can stick with Eclipse (free) and make something using voxel.js instead. Plus with github and an IRC channel you basically get the same experience.

4. stele says:

What the hell is that creeper doing to poor Luigi???

5. rustybroomhandle says:

Incidentally, at Ludum Dare last year we used Minecraft as a collaborative creation tool. :) Doing so again this weekend.

6. KDR_11k says:

I could have sworn that I’ve seen Blender implementing an online collaboration system. Since Blender also has a game engine and thus can be used as a WYSIWYG game development tool that would fill a similar role.

7. mikmanner says:

I think the streamlined 3D modelling and animation tools look very interesting, be good if you could export the results to use in something like Unity.

8. zul says:

I remember being interested in this the last time RPS posted about it. I’d really love to give it a go!

9. The Random One says:

I’m sad the creator didn’t follow my suggestion to rename it Craftcraft.