The Truth Is In Here: The Bureau – XCOM Declassified

By Adam Smith on April 26th, 2013 at 10:02 am.

It’s alive! The name change from XCOM: Mad Men Edition to The Bureau had been anticipated for some time, but we weren’t entirely clear as to whether the former first-person reboot would retain any trappings of its original title. Moments ago, a video and press release revealed that 2K Marin, they of Bioshock 2, are indeed working on the game and that it will be called The Bureau: XCOM Declassified. It’ll also be out on August 20th. I’m glad it’s a period piece and I’m glad it still has XCOM in the name because I’d enjoy seeing at least some of the transition from men in fedoras with retrofitted alien tech to hovering super-snipers. Here’s the trailer. It’s live action.

Splendid music aside, it doesn’t actually tell us a great deal, does it? My hope would be for smaller scale investigations, as suggested in the original trailer from wayback when, which would probably have been welcomed with open arms if it hadn’t had those four letters at the end. There’s definitely room in my life for a terrifying, against the odds struggle, with a first-person view and some basic squad commands. If I had my pick of XCOM spin-offs, this sharply dressed number would beat Interceptor and Enforcer into the dust.

Here are the details:

Set in 1962 at the height of the Cold War, The Bureau tells the origin story of the clandestine XCOM organization’s first encounter with a mysterious and devastating enemy. Originally established as America’s covert defense against the Soviet Union, The Bureau must adapt and overcome a threat unlike anything the world has faced before. As special agent William Carter, players will call the shots and pull the trigger, leading their squad of agents in the high-stakes secret war for humanity’s survival. Paramount to repelling the outside threat is The Bureau’s ability to cover-up the enemy’s existence in order to prevent worldwide panic.

In the spirit of the XCOM franchise, The Bureau’s calculated combat design requires players to think and act tactically. The game’s third-person perspective gives the player a sense of spatial awareness and grants them the freedom to transition in and out Carter’s unique Battle Focus ability seamlessly — heightening the tactical shooter action. The Bureau also fully embraces the concept of permanent consequence. As our last line of defense, every command can mean the difference between life and death for Carter, his squad and mankind.

Aside from the fact that my eyes automatically achieve a state of glazed indifference whenever I read phrases like “carter’s unique Battle Focus ability”, I’m quite happy about this. We’ll hopefully see something from the actual game in the near future.

Oh. And I can’t be the only one who noticed the carefully framed shot of slow motion agent bum at 56 seconds, can I? Swoon!

, , , .

Lars Westergren says:

> to transition in and out Carter’s unique Battle Focus ability

So, pause to issue squad orders?

Looks really nice. Sounds like they moved away from Gears of War and towards Rainbow Six? Awesome if so. Also, first live action trailer that I actually liked in ages.

• Groove says:

Yes, let’s pray that it’s sexy-modern-shooter code for ‘pause button’.

I may have paid for a whole seat, but I only need the edge at this point.

• FFabian says:

Some sort of painesque Bullet-Time or Slow-Mo effect is more probable I think.

• Grey Poupon says:

I was thinking what Fallout 3 did to the aimed shots. Though I hope it’s nothing like that, I found it horrible.

• Groove says:

Yeah, Fallout 3 was a fairly questionable interpretation at best. Although the idea of the Bureau being a cross between X-Com and Max Payne sounds pretty hilarious.

Gap Gen says:

A 1960s Rainbow Six would be amazing.

And by Rainbow Six I mean Raven Shield, not the thing where a shape-shifting alien killed the series with its mandibles or whatever and stole its form, then went to Vegas.

• neonordnance says:

Hey now, Rainbow Six Vegas was rock-solid. They succesfully streamlined the game into a cover-shooter, introducing new mechanics like one of the best character persistence systems that I’ve ever seen, while still paying homage to the classic series with modes like Terrorist Hunt. I think you’re thinking of the terrible, consolized Rainbow Six Lockdown and Ghost Recon 2.

As for this game, I was one of the biggest decriers when it was first announced, but you know what? They fixed it. They moved XCOM from the title to the subtitle, which is EXACTLY what they should have done. This has a lot of potential as a high-quality spin-off. The fact that Firaxis went and released a “real” XCOM game didn’t hurt either. As long as the core brand remains a squad-based, turn-based, permadeath strategy monster, then they can spin it off all they like.

And that live-action trailer? Fantastic. Absolutely smashes it out of the park, building the tension to unbearable levels and then leaving me wanting more. It also accurately replicated the age, carefully juxtaposing futuristic elements over a very well-realized depiction of 1950′s spy games. Game marketing people, take note.

2. wodin says:

That would make a great TV series..good film direction there..

Henke says:

Yeah I liked it too. It takes a bit too long to get to the punchline perhaps but the last minute or so it pretty excellent, and leaves you with a feeling that “shit is about to go down” while at the same time being quite restrained and low-key.

• HisMastersVoice says:

Well, something like that would get me to watch TV again.

RedViv says:

Mad Men plus X-Files plus a bit of SCP Foundation. That would be neat.

• Nick says:

Kinda like Dark Skies!

• BobbyDylan says:

Thank you…. that’s what I was trying to think of.

RedViv says:

Except maybe not utterly forgettably bad this time around!

• belgand says:

Not enough Spielbergian whining about how important his children are. Or how the aliens only seem to want to steal our children. Aside from the utterly forgettable nature of the show itself the complete and utter child/family focus of the show ruined it for me. Sort of like Terra Nova as well.

FhnuZoag says:

I await the internet’s surprise when this game turns out to be a cycling simulator.

3. Ansob says:

I’m really glad they stuck through with the last redesign – Brothers in Arms: X-COM Edition actually sounds like it could be fun, and the aesthetics still look really neat.

4. SandmanXC says:

I’d love a world where all trailers are this good..

• deadly.by.design says:

“In a world where all trailers are this good, one man…”

5. jalf says:

The Bureau tells the origin story of the clandestine XCOM organization

So… that’s why in the *other* XCOM, they were so amazed at encountering alien life on Earth…

And, I guess, why they said nothing at all about the *last* time the organization dealt with an alien incursion…

Really, couldn’t they have thought this out better?
    Heck, maybe just pull a Red Alert, and say “this doesn’t in any way fit into our original timeline. So what? Suck it.”

Pretending that it fits into the same continuity as the other XCOM game just seems contrived and like it could undermine both games.

But apart from that, I am intrigued by the game itself.

• John Connor says:

XCOM has just been activated at the start of Enemy Unknown, which means there were no or few existing personnel on the project before the aliens showed up. It wouldn’t exactly be a massive retcon for there to be a previous activation of the XCOM project.

In fact you could easily say the old XCOM was created to fight the cube aliens, and when that job was done XCOM was kept on ice. It would explain the Skyrangers and other high technology XCOM has access to at the start of the game.

• jalf says:

But you would expect the science lady to at least mention looking through the old files or something, no? Maybe even comment that the aliens appear to be different from the ones back then.

Or perhaps just not flat-out *say* during the first mission how incredible it is to see alien life on Earth for the first time ever. You know, at a very minimum.

It seems unnecessary to me to call it the “origin story”. Why not just call it an alternate-universe (well, more alternate) XCOM? Again, like Red Alert is to C&C? That would actually be really really cool. (Also, if they do that, could we please have Kane show up too? :D)

Anyway, it doesn’t bother me hugely, it just feels weird that XCOM has hardly been released before they decide “hey, let’s retcon and break the continuity”. And it seems disrespectful to Firaxis.

Especially when they don’t really *have to*. When they could either just remove the XCOM name entirely, just say “It’s XCOM, but it’s not the same XCOM as Firaxis’ XCOM”.

FunnyB says:

Well, you can see them censoring documents in this trailer, so it’s not entirely impossible that the 60′s XCOM destroyed all evidence (even their own records) of the aliens after they beat them. It might be a bit illogical, or even stupid, but it’s not impossible.

RedViv says:

It would certainly fit the era.

• Groove says:

Especially since covering up everything is listed as a key objective and gameplay mechanic. Covering the aliens up so thoroughly that even their own agency forgets about them sounds wonderful.

Having them come back would be a great segue into X-Com2: TerrorFromThePast.

• sinister agent says:

Honestly, given the way most government departments and many private companies act, I’d be surprised if they didn’t do their utmost to keep as much useful information away from people who might need it in future. Next time you play the new XCOM, imagine a single office in your base where works one guy who’s spent every day of the war screaming down a phone at some fuckwit jobsworth who’s sitting on years of research because doing anything else might require an original thought.

• jalf says:

So, the people in charge kept the XCOM *name* (which means that they must have known about its history), but didn’t inform anyone *working* on the XCOM project that the XCOM project has dealt with fighting aliens before?

That sounds even dumber… ;)

• Zulthar says:

Who says they didn’t tell anyone? Employees with lower rank don’t need to know. The player knows and probably all the other high ranking guys.

• jalf says:

Except then you’re back to the initial problem. Surely the science lady, or the mysterious council man count as “high ranked”. And yet they both act as if aliens on Earth is completely unheard of.

So no, I really don’t think it makes sense.

Again, I can live with that. A good game is a good game, whether or not they contradict themselves on the story, it just seems so deeply unnecessary to start contradicting themselves so soon, less than a year after the first game, the first part of the story, came out.

FhnuZoag says:

Calling it now, the main character in The Bureau ends up being the Shadow Council guy.

• solidsquid says:

Why destroy it? Maybe they just classified it in a way that non-members of the Bureau wouldn’t have full access to it as they weren’t on the list. Eventually, when those involved in the initial project moved on or passed away, the project was forgotten about besides some specific pieces of technology which already had cover stories created on how they were invented just because nobody knew to ask for clearance about it.

The shadow council could be another remanent of it, a contingency plan which was written up by the Bureau as a contingency plan against the aliens re-appearing. It wouldn’t have classified information, and depending on how paranoid they were while writing it might not even mention that there *was* any classified info, but it could be written in a way which took into account what they knew the future version of the Bureau would have to deal with. Call the plan “Project XCOM” and you’ve got an explanation of how things continue on.

That said, we’ll just have to wait until after they release it to find out how they’re going to ret-con it, anything else is guess work

darkChozo says:

Rewatching the tutorial level of EU, they definitely don’t act like aliens on earth was an unknown factor (I mean, that wouldn’t make sense anyway, given that XCOM literally exists to fight extraterrestrials). There’s some shock in horror, but it’s less “oh god what’s going on” and more “what are these things” and “oh god bodies mind control blegghhh”. I mean, there’s not much ambiguity, the opening cutscene mentions an extraterrestrial attack in like the second sentence and specifically activates XCOM in response.

It’s moderately odd that they don’t mention old XCOM (well, odd within a holistic view of the continuity, anyway), but it’s not exactly going to be a hard thing to explain away. EU takes place in a near-future setting, meaning probably 2015 or 2020 or something. This looks like it’ll take place in 1962 and may well not actually involve the modern XCOM organization. It’s not inconceivable that the information from this would either get lost or locked away by the government, especially considering the convert ops theme.

• jalf says:

God, the more of these “explanations” you come up with, the more glaringly obvious it is that this makes no fucking sense.

I mean, read the last string of comments, and tell me that “this is how XCOM:EU would have been written if it was about the *second* alien invasion, rather than the *first*.

No offense to anyone, but you’re really not selling it. :)

As a rule of thumb, if you have to rationalize it entirely *outside* the game, and have nothing from the game to base it on, then it’s not a very convincing theory.

FunnyB says:

Now that I think about it, in XCOM:EU you can se in the intro how aliens are invading the earth. So, XCOM is activated at the start, and your soldiers go in and doctor Vahlen is surprised to see actualy evidence that aliens exist.

Isn’t that weird? Earth was being invaded, people would have noticed what happened in the intro, and the XCOM project was activated for a reason, so why was she surprised to see the aliens?

It might fit in with all the alien activity in the 60s being censored, and the Bureau guy becoming the “Shadowy Council Guy”, and XCOM remaining a small department not really sure why it exists (research perhaps?) until the (new) aliens invade and XCOM is reactivated in full force, but it’s members oblivious to what they are fighting…. Or something like that… I don’t know…

• mouton says:

Continuity? Seriously?

c-Row says:

My body instantly grew a mini-vagina at that point.

7. rb2610 says:

Is it just me or does it seem to have a bit of a Fallout-esque vibe?

RedViv says:

It’s set in the 60s. Why would it not? Fallout is just The 50s and 60s But After The End In The Future.

Haphaz77 says:

Is it the pip-boy thing he wears?

8. Blaaaaaaag says:

I need a pair of them pants.

9. dangerlift says:

The very idea that this game might exist at some point in the future keeps me warm at night.

RedViv says:

I do hope this turns out to be more fourth quarter of BS2 than first three quarters of BS2.

• Low Life says:

What’s up with the fourth quarter of BS 2? I’ve never played it further than the first couple of hours.

11. Jockie says:

I think everyone is a lot happier to embrace this idea now that the world has a proper X-com game.

c-Row says:

Well, in case this doesn’t sell, it’s less “See, nobody’s interested in the XCOM franchise anymore” and more “See, people like TBS more than TPS” now, which is good.

• Banana_Republic says:

The world has had a proper X-Com game since the 90s. There have been nothing but weak pretenders to the throne since then.

Gap Gen says:

I’d be happier if it was just “The Bureau”. Much punchier than the flabby full title. Still, I understand the marketers have to shoehorn license titles up in there.

• Samwise Gamgee says:

Then it would be confused with the sketch from The Day Today, by perhaps two people, one of them being me.

Gap Gen says:

“I’m closing The Bureau… for an hour.”

DrScuttles says:

Guess I’m another one, then. And here’s an obligatory link.

• jalf says:

Yay, now the rest of us can be confused too. I can feel the confusion flowing over me already…

• Hillbert says:

This is supposed to be a high class alien hunting organisation! Not some two bit nipple peep show in Rio de Janeiro…

• Zekiel says:

“Quick, get him inside the Bureau!”

Thanks for reminding me of this. It was wonderful…

• Stevostin says:

I’d be happier if it had no tie at all to X-Com. I bought that one on the hype here, finished it in the hope that at a point, the game would reveal, but it just never did. To me it’s a below average game on nearly every level, poor game design, poor art, poor soundtrack – a bit like Dead Island in another genre, the pitch is the main thing (although they do have some talents in Dead Island).

I’d be way more interested in an adventure game than a tactical one, too. That being said, if they go tactical, they may make it better than XCom. Wouldn’t be hard but unless it’s turn based, I see little chance of this being more attractive to XCom fans than the original FPS setting anyway.

13. leebradley says:

1962 was the eve of the sexual revolution and the concept of “teenagers” as a distinct group (where before there were only children and adults).

Therefore it is ONLY SENSIBLE to conclude that XCOM Declassified is about puberty and sex, as well as the US government’s fear of the upcoming revolution.

Bravo to 2K for broaching this subject, but boo for coming down on the side of the conservatives.

3/10

• Kusz says:

You do know that xcom involves researching, and using alien technology, right?

• King in Winter says:

research project: alien frictionless lubricant
        research project: alien probe
        research project: alien illustrated magazine

• engion3 says:

that’s your opinion..

Gap Gen says:

“In the promo we see a boy, possibly 11 or 12, encountering a monolith. His life is about to change.”

I imagine it’s probably the first time he’s seen a large black penis. I’d drop my bike and take a look, too.

Lars Westergren says:

I will never look at 2001: A Space Oddysey the same way again.

Cross says:

Even though it showed us no gameplay, that was a really good trailer!

15. kwyjibo says:

I liked the original Mad Men styling, now it looks more Tinker Tailor, either way, cool as fuck.

16. staberas says:

” From the creators of Bioshock 2 ”
    The guys in the marketing department look at each other ….
    “Yeah lets remove that line…”

FhnuZoag says:

Bioshock 2 was a good game.

• Ringwraith says:

The combat was definitely on the ball, and I think the plot gets underrated due to being eternally stuck in Bioshock’s (sans final third) shadow.
        Also it made you feel like a Big Daddy, down to the CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP CLOMP you made when walking.

FhnuZoag says:

Yeah, the key problem was that Bioshock 1 benefited from the surprise and novelty of the Rapture setting, whereas with the second game the novelty is gone, so the game naturally had to work harder to keep people interested. I’m not going to declare B2 was the best game ever (some people might well like it more than B1), or anything, but I think a lot of the criticism feels very unjust.

It’s certainly not something people have to pretend doesn’t exist.

• Ansob says:

Bioshock 2 was a much better shooter than Bioshock 1 with much better-written characters and a much better plot.

So yes, it was actually a far better game than Bioshock.

• Vegard Pompey says:

They should’ve said: “From the makers of an unspecified Bioshock game.”

17. Archipelagos says:

Very, very nice! I wouldn’t mind live-action trailers if most of them were up to that standard. Quite looking forward to seeing what they do now.

18. SirKicksalot says:

The amazing art style is gone.
    I hope everyone who bitched about the FPS rots in hell.

19. Tetoro says:

Well-directed trailer, let’s hope the game is at least as good

Haphaz77 says:

I wonder about base-building and research/geoscape options.

cpt_freakout says:

That looks good, but it’s the music that bought me.

22. Shinwaka says:

The trailer looks a lot like something from Taken the miniseries (by Steven Spielberg and presented on the Sci-Fi Channel).
    Owen Crawford, so evil he’s cool.

23. Bhazor says:

I am actually starting to get completely sick of the late 1940s to early 60s “Americana subverted” setting. It seems like anything wanting to be different has to be set in those twenty years between WW2 and The Beatles. Madmen, Mafia, LA Noire and on and on and on. You know you can’t subvert something when the most common version is already subverted.? Men drank alot and insulted women, we get it. It’s like saying you’re going to make an Alice in Wonderland movie but you’re going to make it surreal or a war film about how War is maybe a bit violent and dehumanising.

24. Vegard Pompey says:

OK, here’s my theory. (Sorry about my missing next-to-q key.)

Back in the 60s or late 50s, some government guy outlines and proposes an XCOM project as a defense against extraterrestrials. He/she is told that the proposal is rejected, but it is established in secret. The 60s qave of aliens is defeated and the XCOM project is deactivated, but the aliens have double agents in the government that are able to erase all trace of the project. Somehoq. And then, in the future, there is reason to believe aliens are invading and so this old XCOM project is revived qithout knoqledge that it has ever been used before and oh god this is stupid sorry I’m just trying to make sense of this.

• Ravenholme says:

My problem here is as it was when they first announced it – Turning XCOM, an inherently international organisation, into an America, Fuck Yeah! initiative.

• Banana_Republic says:

This is the American perspective of their own project. What makes you think that similar agencies wouldn’t exist in other countries, also busily covering up what’s been taking place? My assumption is that the original X-Com was comprised of all the relevant assets from everywhere in the world, which could easily have been pulled from operations like this, that each nation had been keeping secret. But this isn’t supposed to be a globe-level strategic simulation. It’s much smaller in scope, so they would need to focus on only one single project in one nation. Why not America?

• RakeShark says:

Well, there’s a possibility of different countries doing their own alien defense departments in future installments.

I would totally buy a Ж-КӨМ set in Russia.

• drvoke says:

You missed a trick there. Could’ve done that post not using any terms having that letter. Achievement get!

• Skabooga says:

You should totally post more often. Replacing all your ‘w’s with ‘q’s makes it seem like you have the most fantastic accent.

25. Kusz says:

Too bad we already knew, that this game had been in the works. If this marketing campaign came out of nowhere, this would had been really great. Although, deleting all the previous footage does fit with the theme.

26. soldant says:

Wow. I don’t hold much hope for the game, but I want a TV series right now.

That said, I’m still curious to see where they’re going with this. Actually even though I just said I don’t hold much hope, I kind of hope that they went back to the drawing board to make something more interesting.

27. DXN says:

Looks excellent.

28. Grygus says:

I liked it, but Dead Island’s trailer has made me wary of cool trailers that don’t reveal anything about the game itself. Thanks for the few minutes of tension, I was entertained, but it seems doubtful this will have anything to do with the game itself. which makes me wonder why we’re not seeing anything about the actual game.

29. Moraven says:

Cowboys & Aliens arm thingy
    MadMen Setting
    Men In Black objectives (hide the truth)

Here is hoping its any good. I am kinda glad it isn’t a FPS anymore.

• Banana_Republic says:

Making it third-person isn’t doing it any favors. It’s absolutely the worst way to play a shooter. I’m just waiting to see if they’ve incorporated a cover system before I write it off completely. No tactical shooter worth it’s salt, scripts the act of a player using cover.

I fear that too many lame console mechanics will have wormed their way into this game, for it to be playable. But I’m still hopeful. Just not as hopeful as I was when I still assumed that it would be an FPS.

• Zenicetus says:

Third person is better if this is a squad-based shooter and you play the commander (Mass Effect, etc.). It’s better for situational awareness of where your team members are located, and what they’re doing.

30. JarinArenos says:

“From the makers of Bioshock 2″ … so… that’s what you’re going with, huh? Sure you want to remind people about that?

• Xocrates says:

Given how many people keep ignoring what still is a damn great game, and arguably the best out of the Bioshock series? Damn right they should.

I don’t get the reaction some people have to Bioshock 2. I fully understand that they might ignore it out of (a somewhat overzealous) reverence to the first one, or that they might be disappointed by it on account of being fairly derivative from the first.

But to act like it’s a terrible game that shouldn’t be brought up? Why?

31. Dangersaurus says:

This made me really want a Floor 13 + X-Com mashup.

32. JFS says:

So, the US founded XCOM? Too bad there’s already established lore about the origins of XCOM, that namely lists Japan as the first country to respond to alien threats with a specialized paramilitary organization (the Kiryu-Kai). See http://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Background_(Enemy_Unknown) for reference.

But well, I guess you can explain everything with parallel universes, handwaving and MURICA.

Edit: Oh, and what about that PipBoy? Ah well, might still turn out to be an enjoyable game.

• Banana_Republic says:

You folks are really too touchy. And I thought we Canadians had an inferiority complex when it came to America.

Let me just put this to rest then. Julian Gollop and his brother created X-Com and they are Brits. That makes X-Com (et. al.) British.

Can we go now?

darkChozo says:

Enemy Unknown counted as a continuity reboot, I think. So it’s an alternate universe, kinda sorta.

And I think the fact that the aliens showed up 50 years earlier is probably a larger plothole :D.

33. Lemming says:

I really don’t see why this needs to have XCOM anywhere near it. The Bureau seems perfectly capable of standing alone as its own franchise.

• Mbaya says:

I agree. I like that they seem to be taking elements from the XCOM games as inspiration, but feel this could have been the start of a new franchise in its own right.

Actually looking forward to seeing more of the game – and if the trailer is anything to go by, I’d rather like a mini-series or something too.

34. mollemannen says:

whats this? they actually did something clever?

Chaz says:

Third person, aww! I thought it was gong to be first person.

36. bluenine says:

time to watch that X-Files episode with the smoking man’s origin again:)

37. S Jay says:

What I got from the trailer: it is a X-Files movie about Minecraft.

38. Alto says:

Game trailer music needs more viola solos. Thank you 2K, you’ve sold me.

39. Scandalous says:

I know that this told me nothing about the game. I know that live-action trailers can be grossly misrepresentative of even the tone of the finished product. I know that this game has had a turbulent time in development.

I know all this and I still loved this trailer, am excited about the game, and want to buy a viola.

40. Zenicetus says:

It’s a great trailer, but I remember some of the criticism of the original gameplay footage wasn’t just complaints about it not being classic X-COM, but that the combat looked very shooter-generic.

I want to see some in-game combat before I get too excited. After Bioshock Infinite, I’m not sure I want another game with a fabulous idea and setting, and boring gunplay as filler between the interesting bits. I hope they have something interesting in mind for the actual combat and squad control.

• buzzmong says:

Just to say something, the critiques against it looking very generic shooter were not about the original round of videos. They portrayed a rather interesting game focused on investigation.

The heavy critique was on the second and third rounds, which were showing off a very generic title as you say.

I have a feeling that the change in scope in the original project wasn’t the fault of the developers, and the resounding success of a tactical turned based shooter in the same franchise along with the panning the videos of this got last time around has perhaps made upper management give the studio a chance to return back to their original premise.

41. oyog says:

[redacted]FACE

42. BreadBitten says:

Why is it the kids’ hairdoes that fall prey to anachronism in all period pieces?

43. Kester says:

This trailer kind of makes me want to play a game about redacting things.

44. Drakedude says:

I hope they hint (or show) a bit more about what the hells been done to us (without making earth the centre of the universe for the umpteenth time), and hope they have a good, fresh reason for why we can begin to compete. Psychics, eh? How about some witches? How about some meddling precursors? How about distinct, competing aliens? Who else has gone to ground? Hell, who else is from here? It doesn’t even have to be a very old play, though you could well do that if done properly. How about having one of the more powerful species recently arrive and get to work, ignoring our smaller plights, and we’ve only been fighting the scavenger’s, aspiring species, the recently toppled and every now and then bumping into a rival? Trying to build up an understanding of the politics of the milky way from scraps of information and a position of near-complete ignorance sounds like it would fit the Cold War setting perfectly.

I agree, it should be international, if guarded and abstract, and i think one of the best ways of handling this would be to have the bureau simply be an distinct organization, handling it’s own mess into the present day and leaving this particularly proactive bunch of aliens to a military division. The dripfeed of technology and resources, hell, even the manpower, could be justified by humanity fighting a war on all fronts. After all, the suddenly credulous public which you mollify by defeating terror missions wont exactly be fun and games to handle (with an unavoidable trickling of alien-based technology which you gave to those poor countries, too). I wonder what happened in those lost countries, eh? I’d bet even the inhabitants didn’t notice- for a while at least.

I will watch this with interest.