Where Eager Devs Dare: Lose Yourself To Ludum 26

By Alec Meer on April 30th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

I wonder if 'EatYourBeef_Doug' ever expected his name is 8-point lights like this

Yeah, Notch’s game got a mention on its own, because a big name is a good way to encourage those who otherwise wouldn’t be interested to take a look at the many splendid things created as part of the twenty-sixth Ludum Dare global game jam. It is very important to reiterate, in this case via the medium of a post (and in addition to the one below singling out The Unseen), that you will be generously rewarded for looking at LD anyway, regardless of whether or not anyone you’ve heard of is involved. Ludum Dare – and many other speed-development events across our blue’n’green marble – is the bleeding edge of game-making, where ideas and pure talent hold far more sway than fancy graphics and big-budget explosions. It is ur-game and omni-game, a wild, wonderful badlands for all the potential that software holds.

I’m afraid I don’t have any highlights to share with you in this post as, quite frankly, team RPS is outta time this week. Too many digi-plates are currently being spun by everyone, and in my case my brave/poor partner will be giving birth any day now (so if I suddenly stop posting for several weeks, it won’t purely be down to laziness or forgetting my login, for a change), so it’s not looking like we can rummage though Ludum Dare 26’s 2345 (at the time of writing – it’s still rising) entries from developers big, small and medium-rare. 2345! Incredible.

All of them were created between Friday and yesterday, all of them relate to the chosen theme of ‘minimalism’ and I’m willing to bet every one has something of worth to it. Hopefully we’ll wind up covering a few more here and there over the next few weeks, and I’m sure the ever-heroic Porpentine will include a few in Live Free, Play Hard in the coming weeks. Please though, take a look yourself, click randomly on things that sound like a good time, and share anything you reckon is particularly excellent below so other readers know where to best point their hands, eyes and ears. 2345 free PC games! You can’t say fairer than that.

Well, you could say “2346 free PC games, ” I guess.

« »

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

CelticPixel says:

Programmer art makes me sad : (

However, there’s some excellent/crazy ideas on display here!

2. AtomicB says:

Not all of them are programmer art! Some are clearly artist code ;) Good mix though.

Obligatory self promotion of own title – link to ludumdare.com

MajorManiac says:

I love how you got the Something-Face pun into the game name. Perhaps next year RPS readers could use that as a theme.

3. Captain Joyless says:

Jesus… it’s spawning?

Congratulations, Mr. Meer. :p

colossalstrikepackage says:

Congrats on the forthcoming miniMeer! It was good to know you Sir – your excellent work will be missed until your return.

Hmm-Hmm. says:

As the above gentlemen said: I hope everything goes well. Also, Congratulations.

Crimsoneer says:

Sidenote – i think you can still register and vote for stuff, if anybody feels they’d enjoy that?

Also, if you’re a gamer, you should try making games, and LD is an awesome beginner goal :)

EDIT: Nope, you can’t. Still, take part next time!

• CMaster says:

Pretty sure that the judging is peer-judging – as in you have to have submitted something to be able to vote.

MajorManiac says:

What a wonderful box of delights. Any recommendations?

7. Clavus says:

Minimalism kind of sucked as a theme. Not that I should complain, I didn’t even finish my game properly, although I did submit it: link to ludumdare.com (self-promotion ho!)

• phlebas says:

Minimalism did seem a bit odd as a theme for something like LD – were the entries noticeably even more minimalist than usual?

8. Meat Circus says:

Right, just played all 2346 of them.

7/10.

9. DedHedZed says:

Shoutouts to RockPaperShotgun for acknowledging that Ludum Dare is more than just whichever indie celebrity has entered this month.

Also, shameless self-promotion, I guess.
    link to ludumdare.com

It’s got llamas in it, in case that sways you in any way.

10. rustybroomhandle says:

Wooo, yeah shameless self-pimping time!!

Our entry, Jetpack Jester:

link to ludumdare.com

Assets made in Minecraft, processed/animated in Blender/Maya and game made in Unity. 37 people made this game, which is almost half as many people who made Skyrim. :D

• Berzee says:

“Assets made in Minecraft”
      I think that’s the second time I’ve heard of someone doing this. It will never stop being weird/grand. =P

• rustybroomhandle says:

Previous time might have been us too. Did the same thing for LD24, different type of game and engine though. It’s fun when you hve a whole bunch of eager people of all ages participating in such a thing.

Incidentally, one of the Ludum Dare deals on tools to use was for Voxatron, since you can also export meshes from the built-in voxel editor in that.

11. matthias_zarzecki says:

Happy to Oblige!

“Budget Squad” is a pixelly submarine-action-game. Cost-cuts have removed weapons from one ship, and armor from the other. You control both
    link to ludumdare.com

“X Press” is an endless-runner, during which the environment becomes more and more simple, increasing its difficulty in the progress
    link to ludumdare.com

“Please Ignore the Dancing Llama” is a fast-paced Wario-Ware-game starring two tophatted British Gentlemen and a Dancing Llama, all set to a funky beat.
    link to ludumdare.com

“Whatever Game” sets you up a pixel inside a Mondrian-Painting, with the power to turn the world and destabilize it. Features voiceover by an /Excellent/ Disinterested Narrator.
    link to ludumdare.com

“Balls Balls Balls” is a Auditorium-esque Physics-Puzzler in which you push Balls by creating small, circular shockwaves. Said to be very relaxing and “impressive, given the timeframe” (also I made it)
    link to ludumdare.com

Hope these prove interesing enough to cover :D
    -Matthias

12. HiroP713 says:

I had a great time participating this year and it’s really cool to see so many entries. The quality keeps improving each time around.

If you have a chance please give my entry a try and let me know what you think.

emertonom says:

It’s well done and interesting; I like the noises particularly. It went on a bit long, and the space was larger than it needed to be; by the end it was a bit of a chore to walk around and locate stragglers. Still, cute.

13. cafeine says:

Best postmortem ever: link to ludumdare.com

Once again Sosowski proves he’s a madman.

14. Ithildin says:

Must…not…spam…

Oh, what the heck, some more self-promotion here.
    link to ludumdare.com

Minimal gameplay, minimal graphics, minimal sound…and minimal starting feedback, which gets 99% of the people lost. D’oh! It’s somewhat addictive once that you’ve figured out how to match blocks and all that, so I dare you at least give it a try ;)

15. grimpunch says:

Obligatory self promotion :)
    link to ludumdare.com
    My game was minimal as fuck! it’s also on all platforms :)

16. CMaster says:

I made a forum thread about LD26 here:
    link to rockpapershotgun.com

My game is Mnimalize this!, made in about half the time as I scrapped my first project for being bad.

Best I’ve played so far is The Paper Concorde:
    link to ludumdare.com

I’ve also played a couple of “thought provoking” games, but well, they haven’t been very good, or provoked any very interesting thoughts. (“The job centre is useless” and “person you love dieing sucks” are not exactly groundbreaking).

17. CMaster says:

Grrr, first post awaiting moderation.

My game:

18. kirby_freak says:

Saw people posting links to their games, so figured I’d join the self promoting and post the link to mine. :D This was my first Ludum Dare, and the first game I’ve actually finished, even though I’ve been programming with Game Maker for over a year, so that was pretty nice. I hopefully had a different take on the theme than most, even if its a bit… Preachy? Also, have heard complaints that its too difficult in the beginning. While that was semi the point, to make it even more of a rush when you eventually become the most popular, I may have made it too hard. Just persevere a bit and be careful walking the hallways, I promise the end is fun. Hopefully :P So, hope someone plays!

link to ludumdare.com

Side note: First post on RPS woo!

19. unusualcadence says:

Oooo hello. I made a game called Invertigo, and it’s getting more love than I ever expected it would! Hooray!

If you like shooting things in a manic fashion, check out this thing:

link to ludumdare.com

It was so much fun to make, and nailbiting too, hopefully you will have a fun few minutes playing it!

20. Attrition says:

Shamelessly yours:
    link to ludumdare.com

It’s been received very well, considering I only started it on the last day.

21. kyynis says:

This is currently my favourite entry. It’s Space Funeral -like take on Gravity Bone, if that makes any sense. CMaster’s game was pretty solid too!

22. OrangeeZ says:

Our Jam entry called ‘Truth Only’ : link to ludumdare.com.

Hope you’ll enjoy our game!

23. Spliter says:

Bah, everyone here is shamelessly self-promoting. Shame on you!
    Ekhm…
    My bunny game:

24. BipolarMike says:

Would anyone like to pilot a majestic Space Jellyfish?

25. JumbocactuarX27 says:

Oh, I’ve found the LD26 shameless self-promotion thread.
    My game is about stick figures fighting inside of bottles:

26. CMaster says:

You’re probably going to hear (it’s about sound, get it, oh, never mind) a lot more about this one:
    link to ludumdare.com

Well worth a play. Web-based too.

Not mine for the record.

27. Christopher Schulte says:

I’ll join in for this self promotion party

28. radbrad says:

This is a web game I made, it’s an experimental game in storytelling