Fableulous: Folk Tale’s Silly Sandbox City Building

By Nathan Grayson on May 2nd, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I picked this screenshot in part to highlight Folk Tale's impressive ground-level camera option that really backs up its RPG elements, but mostly because COWWWWWWS.

I am legitimately surprised we didn’t spotlight Folk Tale sooner. It looks like a marvelously ambitious fantasy city-builder – featuring fully explorable building/dungeon interiors and an adventure-focused RPG component – with some admirably silly humor to boot. That’s right up our alley, but I checked every stylishly steamy manhole cover and dumpster full of unfinished game diaries I could find, and all I discovered was an offhand namedrop in a Greenlight update. Weird. Now, however, it is time to right that most grievous of wrongs with eight minutes of sensually revealing gameplay footage. Developer Games Foundry even installed a polite narrator man to explain it all to you. Build a bridge past the break to see the whole thing – but only if you consider it a fiscally responsible architectural decision.

I know, I know: the art style looks a little too World-of-Warcraft-y in some places. But otherwise, there’s some serious promise here. So first, here are the basics:

“Folk Tale is a sandbox fantasy city builder strategy game in which you lead a ragtag band of peasants in growing a small settlement into a thriving market town, while the dastardly Slavemaster Urzal and his minions plot your downfall. Sound the rallying call and head out into the wilds with parties of heroes and fight back the tide of evil in a game of endless possibilities.”

“Rule with tyranny and oppression, or liberalism and justice. Play as a merciless expansionist hell-bent on destruction, or as a gold-hoarding mercantilist who’ll sell their own grandmother. With random events and dynamic story, in Folk Tale you never know how the story will unfold.”

According to Games Foundry, the initial version will be entirely dynamic, with a story-based campaign to be added at a later date. But even without what would seem to be a cornerstone, there’s a lot to be excited about here. The adventure component and ability to join the action on the ground level – whether it’s in combat or some form of omniscient Peeping Tom voyeurism inside someone’s home – look quite tantalizing, and the humor strikes me as very Fable (definitely not the best game ever, but pretty funny).

Games Foundry is also promising deep, exceedingly open-ended city building choices, but – as SimCity recently demonstrated – play is the only real proving ground for such a lofty goal. Fortunately, Folk Tale’s headed to Steam Early Access on May 31st, so we won’t have to wait too terribly long to see if its foundations can hold up such a heaving structure.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Surlywombat says:

Looks udderly fascinating.

2. Harlander says:

Can I mix it up and rule with tyranny and justice?

3. BTAxis says:

Hmm, the direct control is perhaps not to my liking, I prefer to assert indirect control and then watch what happens. But it still looks very interesting, I will certainly keep an eye on this one.

4. frightlever says:

Got my eye on this and Timber and Stone

5. Lev Astov says:

Those cows look terrifying. Why are their jaws the full length of their skulls?

6. Hungry Like the Wholphin says:

The concept is great. Settlers plus Fable.

7. iridescence says:

Reminds me of Majesty 2 a lot from the video, a game I really enjoyed. Will definitely keep an eye on this.

8. ZHsquad says:

This looks fantastic! I like the idea of having something like Black and White 2 mixed with Fable. Looks very fun. I’ll be following this game closely!

9. Bloodyhell says:

I really like the look of this game! It’ll be a day 1 purchase when it comes to Steam’s early access.

10. BurningPet says:

Ill probably buy it when it gets to steam early access, but unlike, say, Stonehearth, i am much more cautious.

11. honky mcgee says:

Dear game journalists, writers, and groupies….

Please stop describing this particular art-style as “World-of-Warcraft-y.”

Contrary to popular belief, World of Warcraft was not the first MMO and World of Warcraft did not invent this style of art.

• sirflimflam says:

Actually, I think this may be an apt description for this game, if not in the same way the writer meant it. At 6:17 into the video, it looks as though they have lifted the goblin models straight from World of Warcraft. This may actually be a legal issue, even if it’s only temporary.

• RedViv says:

Every time somebody gets inspired by WarCraft’s style and someone else says that Blizzard should complain, the ancient evil of Gaimswerksh’P Loyaz stirs.

12. buzzmong says:

I have an important question spurred on by the chap in the video at 3:30ish:

How do you pronounce inventory?

I always said it like the chap in the video, In-ven-ter-ee, but was under the impression that was incorrect and it’s meant to be in-ven-tory.

I’m now unsure, and wondering if it may be a British thing to do the former and an American way for the the latter.

13. Piratepete says:

Did you know that the writer for this game got put onto Gamesfoundry for the sole reason that someone, from this auspicious RPS forum, recommended I put a post up on the Unity Engine forum advertising my services?….Did I say my? I meant “his” obviously.

Comment on this story