Woah: Nelly Cootalot – The Fowl Fleet

By John Walker on May 29th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Only moments after Rock, Paper, Shotgun emerged from Horace’s womb, Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy caught our eye. The 2007 AGS adventure has remained one of the favourite releases from that community, and you can still get it for free now. It’s definitely worth it – a really charming game that shows some proper adventure design chops. So I’m very pleased to see the creator is finally following it up with a full-length sequel. And, of course, a Kickstarter.

The sequel, called Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet, has a really splendid pitch video from the unrealistically haired developer, Alasdair Beckett-King. Many good laughs in this one:

I’m very pleased to see it’s going to be a straight point-n-click, with no needless obfuscation. Beckett-King proved he’s a strong writer in the first freeware game, and doubly proves a great sense for comic timing in the video above – two really important elements for getting this genre right.

Oh, and a copy comes with just an £8 pledge, which is pretty decent.

, , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Gassalasca says:

Is he originally from Leeds?

I would like to hug him and John Walker simultaneously. That should be the ultimate pledge reward.

Oozo says:

I feel you.
      I mean, I do not even particularly like point&click adventures. But after that video, I want him to do as well as humanly possible. And buy him all the sweaters and combs he could ever need.

Lars Westergren says:

Yeah, instantly likable guy.

• oyog says:

He certainly does look lickable, doesn’t he? I’d absolutely pay to- Oh you said likeable. Oh. Er. Nevermind.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

And what wonderful hair, too. I just paid a good amount for the Humble Bundle, so I’m a bit reluctant to spend more money (hey, I’m trying to save up some money here, thank you kindly). But this guy definitely deserves it, even if the game doesn’t (which seems unlikely).

2. DiamondDog says:

Shit, pointing and clicking? Infinity Ward can stuff their AI fish up their arse!

lowprices says:

Crikey, has it really been six years? Now I feel old. Thought this was a lovely thing back in the day, so yeah, backed.

4. Berzee says:

I only discovered the original Nelly Cootalot this year, so I haven’t had such a painfully long wait for a sequel. =) It is definitely the best game I’ve found in the AGS archives so far, and not for lack of competition.

5. Grargh says:

Staring Eyes, right into the depths of my soul.

Sinomatic says:

Since Horace is endless, are you sure that you did actually emerge? Maybe we’re all actually inside and none of this is real…

7. Harrington says:

Great video. What a pleasant guy. The original was a blast, I’m happy backing this just as thanks for that. Getting a whole new game in the deal? Bargain.

Hodge says:

Yeah, I just backed it solely because the video was awesome. One of the best crowdfunding pitches I’ve seen.

• Sarkhan Lol says:

When someone’s pitching a humor-based, dialogue-heavy game, it does help to see firsthand that they can deliver humorous dialogue.

Rikard Peterson says:

Absolutely. This video is both charming, funny, and very well made. It also reminds me that I still haven’t played the original Nelly Cootalot, even though I’ve only heard good things about it. I should get round to that. And strongly consider pledging to the Kickstarter.

9. LennyLeonardo says:

I would like to pledge one hug in return for the reward: one hug.

10. Angel Dust says:

Awesome. My wife and I loved the orignal, and I remember playing some prototype for the sequel (released on the AGS boards) many, many years ago. I thought it had been abandoned but I’m glad to see that is not the case.

oceanclub says:

Absolutely charming pitch – I backed it even though I’m not sure a huge adventure fan, but I’d definitely love to give it a go (plus as soon-to-be parent, the most kid-friendly I can get as an excuse to play the better!)

P.

12. Xander77 says:

My very first LP was for the the first lovely game, so I’m pledging the moment my credit card allows me to.

(It would be nice if one of the reward tiers included high resolution [or at least text free] versions of the little pictures from the original Nelly Cootalot credit sequence)