StarMade: MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE

By Cara Ellison on July 31st, 2013 at 10:00 am.

MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE
MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE

MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE?

MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE.

[Edit: You asked me very politely for more information. Here it is:

StarMade is a minecraft inspired 3D sandbox space shooter.

Explore: Explore space generated in real time around you
Design: design you own ship or space station.
Customize: create customized weapons, harvesting elements, shields and docking stations for your ship. Combine elements to groups to make your modules even more powerful.
Multiplayer: full multi player: share control of your ship or design a ship together
Destroy: destroy your enemies with your powerful weapons or just infiltrate an enemy ship. There already is a big arsenal of destructive modules: Missiles (normal, heat seeking and target chasing), Lasers, and Explosive modules that detonate on impact
Salvage: salvage the ships of your fallen enemies to gain credits
Physics: fully integrated modern physics engine for real box-on-box collisions
Stealth: use radar jamming and cloaking modules for a surprise attack.
Multiplatform: runs on windows, mac and linux
Share: save, import & export your own ships as blueprints. You can upload your blueprints to any multi player server
AI: fight your own creations alone or in coop mode
Tutorial: interactive tutorial to learn the basics

It is in alpha. If you would like to know more, please click on the hyperlinks above.]

Also Infinite Pixels

BYE

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

phlebas says:

Fully integrated modern physics engine for real box-on-box collisions!
    Real box-on-box collisions!
  1. Nobyl says:

W-what? WHAT?! WHAAAAT?! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT!?

• Dharoum says:

Now I know one of the idiots who are constantly copy spamming the twitch chats.. 1 down 1.000.000 to go!

• Jeroen D Stout says:

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) But at what cost

• Nobyl says:

I’ve used Twitch only once, but thanks for making a baseless assumption anyways.

• Dharoum says:

I was talking about this:

MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE?

;)

• Nobyl says:

Oh, my bad, it confused me because it was a reply to my comment. I figured I was the subject of your accusations.

• TuringMachine says:

Say ‘what’ again. Say ‘what’ again, I dare you, I double dare you motherfucker, say what one more Goddamn time!

HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

I won’t say ‘that word’ but will instead post this fan-made video which for some reason absolutely delighted me. Maybe because the music reminds me of Fringe? Or I like space a good deal more than I realized.

What would have happened had I … oh, dear.

Hopefully your violence will be constrained to the original poster.

2. inertia says:

garme jurnalism

3. Chalky says:

Not every article should be SPACE HULK – there’s probably a fair bit of interesting and useful content that could be included in this article.

Speaking of content:
    This game is promising as hell, but it’s very unbalanced at the moment (in about half an hour of playing with a ship made from starting blocks I managed to loot enough stuff to reach the maximum number of credits it was possible to carry, resulting in error messages every time I tried to sell anything).

This could go really cool places once it’s expanded and polished, conceptually it’s really fantastic and the way they’ve done the flat planets is very cute.

lowprices says:

I saw the capitals and assumed it was a post about Space Hulk. Sadface.

• Belsameth says:

This. It stopped being funny fairly quickly. Much like the face thing.

• TWChristine says:

It’s really quite relieving (for me..) to find that I’m not the only one that feels this way. I don’t even get how the joke started other than that there’s a game with a corny name, but why that has to be constantly thrown in with every other game is beyond me. And this is why I’ve never said anything, because I dint want to come off like a jerk. :/

• Koozer says:

SOURFACE

• mouton says:

Frankly, the face thing almost completely went away after the majority decided it was no longer funny.

• Tiguh says:

Oh, what complete bollocks.

This is EXACTLY why I read RPS, and EXACTLY why I ALWAYS read Cara’s articles. You are reading a blog about videogames.

Stop assuming that you have any right to judge other people’s ability based on their (totally throwaway and light-hearted) sense of humour.

I should definitely stop reading the bottom half of the internet.

• cdx00 says:

I’m glad I’m not the only person who feels that the written part of most of these articles as of recent are pointless.

The game does look neat.

• Chalky says:

RPS is in danger of turning into that guy who just shouts random phrases to show how “wacky” and “random” they are to over compensate for the fact that they can’t think of anything witty to say.

Don’t be that guy, RPS.

• Ergates_Antius says:

“… who feels that the written part of most of these articles as of recent…”
        If you feel that way then I’m sure you can provide some recent examples. Or to put it into Wiki-speach: Citation needed.

• mouton says:

“ARTICLE ARTICLE ARTICLE” happened _twice_ in the span of, what, thousands of articles.

And yet people proclaim the end of everything. Ehh, internet, its hyperboles and its overblown drama.

darkChozo says:

Technically, I think they did it for Warface once too a while back, and there was at least one other Space Hulk article that started the traditional way before giving more info.

So yeah, four or five in the past six months or so. A deluge!

• Mad Hamish says:

Yeah RPS should ignore these sour humourless types. It’s the comment section that continually runs every joke into the ground, not the RPS staff. The humourless bunch are almost as bad as the pollitical correctness gone mad crowd.

• Mbaya says:

I don’t think every post needs to have some indepth commentary about the state of a game or it’s goals when pure excitement and a nice trailer will do. Think of it more like a Twitter link…just for those of us that appreciate things like this being brought to our attention but don’t shamble ourselves over to that corner of the internet.

But really, how can you compare this to the work of pure journalistic art that was Alec Meer’s SPACE HULK? That was on a totally different level to this.

As for the game, looking good. Really like the planet generation and being able to create AI ships to fight against or the servers mimicking player made ships…more of this in games please! *looks longingly at Spore*

• Mctittles says:

There are plenty of sites (like allgamesbeta.com) that just spit out the videos and images for us to look at, but I come to RPS to get information from informed gamers or at least some discussion on the game being shown. Lately I would have to agree that most articles seem like they are just throwing some metaphoric story or quick joke down so they don’t have to spend the time to research the games talked about.

• Mbaya says:

While I come to this site for the very reason, I just feel like these sort of posts are extra. We’re still getting the great content we always used to (if not more) – this is just a little bit of a fun to pass the time (and on slow news days or if a bigger feature isn’t planned, it makes visiting this site all the more entertaining for me).

Not saying anyones opinion is wrong of course! I’m just voicing my thoughts on the subject matter as well. And as we’ve seen, even a post like this has bought up some interesting discussion :)

If the *only* thing we were getting were posts like this, I’d likely take issues with it too. But I feel at the moment they’re striking a good balance between great indepth articles, funny side stories and the odd “Post contains trailer, watch trailer!” – especially when it’s a game like this and not your standard triple A blurb.

• SuicideKing says:

My thoughts exactly. Half the reason i love RPS is that they do silly things like this. World is just too serious, you know…

• mouton says:

This. RPS would be less fun it it didn’t suddenly go crazy now and then.

The key is proportions and they are right.

• Ergates_Antius says:

If you think humourous articles are some sort of recent trend, then I take it you haven’t been reading RPS for very long. It’s been a base principle of their writing since day one, and has been the prime draw for a lot of people.

EDIT: And again I say: If you think “most” recent articles have been this way, then surely you can provide some other recent examples.

• LennyLeonardo says:

It’s weird, really the only new trend on RPS is the new trend of people complaining about new trends. I surmise from this that the people complaining have no idea what they’re talking about.

And, reading that back, I’m not sure I do either. Know what I’m talking about. Ngh.

Cinek says:

“interesting and useful content ” – never put words “useful” anywhere near “minecraft” unless there’s a negation between them.

• briangw says:

“Speaking of content:
      This game is promising as hell, but it’s very unbalanced at the moment”

Hence the “Alpha” comment in the article. I would hope that anyone that sees the word “alpha” attached to a game automatically realizes that everything is not 100 balanced in a game. I don’t ever recall an alpha being balanced..

4. Nobyl says:

Downloaded it, tried it, had fun for a few minutes, got bored. I’ll wait for Star Citizen.

DrScuttles says:

My enthusiasm petered out when I completely failed to recreate the Defiant and ended up with a kind of indistinct pancake with handles. It could be a great game, but I’m no Sisko when it comes to starship design.

Cinek says:

Yep. Similar here. Though I guess I played a bit longer in EVE.

5. bill says:

TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER X-WING TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER TIE FIGHTER

distantlurker says:

Totes. Did you google “Star Wars: Attack Squadrons” yet tho?

6. Elementlmage says:

EVEFACE!

7. jo-shadow says:

Hmm, does anyone know how this compares to blockade runner? http://blockaderunnergame.com

• phelix says:

Blockade Runner is pretty much dead. The only advantage it currently has is a wonderful pun for a title.

Harlander says:

Blockade Runner seems to be moving away from the “obvious blocks” aesthetic that StarMade still favours. They don’t seem to have released any new versions in quite a while, and in fact their news mailer seems to have gone quiet too.

Luringen says:

As much as I liked the game, there has been no updates for over a year. It’s pretty dead, and will be for quite a while until they finish the backend.

• Artist says:

From what I see Blockaderunner is not able to deliver what they planned because of technical restrictions, lack of coding skills/experience and bad project planning. Easy to review when you check how often they had to change/adjust their core mechanics/ -engine.
      Still hope that they get the ball rolling in a near future.

• TechnicalBen says:

Sad really. I backed the wrong block space builder. Strange as this game is free for now. There were a few others that had some prospects, but not sure what happened.

In all honesty, blocks in space does not work. You need to at least expand out to tris (some games have done this, but not in a space setting AFAIK). Or something like Google Sketchup construction, or even full on high res voxels.

• Shodex says:

Blockade Runner is an odd name for a game that isn’t about Blade Runner, Blockades, or Running.

8. Spacewalk says:

I didn’t quite catch that, do you mind repeating yourself?

9. tellrov says:

SO QUIRKY

10. Tei says:

This game is more EVE than EVE.
    – no empire. All is 0.0
    – full destructible ships
    – full looting ships
    – player skill base + economy
    – visitable planets
    – full player designed ships
    – servers crash every 15 seconds and is still more funspace exploration than most games
    – easy. Idiots like me can understand it and build stuff

EDIT:
    – You can walk inside stations, ships, bases,…
    – Multiple people can control a ship
    – You can build AI-controlled turrets

This game is the most cool game of this year, If not where for the server crashing every 9 seconds.

Gap Gen says:

COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT.

12. dagudman says:

I just want to add that this game is just in alpha, so expect more cool spacey stuff from it!
    Note: This is one of the finest articles in RPS, we need more like this to truly understand videogames.

13. gunny1993 says:

Non sequitur is the lowest form of wit.

AndrewC says:

Chocolate.

• Skabooga says:

Your mom is the lowest form of wit.

(Not really, of course. I imagine she is a lovely woman with quite the abundance of intellect.)

• The Random One says:

With all due respect to your mom, “your mom” is the lowest form of wit.

Bonus phrase related enough to the matter at hand to not be a non sequitur but divergent enough that it feels bizarre: Your mom yields falsehood when appended to her own quotation.

• gunny1993 says:

She’s dead ….. from laughing …. at you

BOOOM

(imagine that in GLaDOS’s voice)

• Bhazor says:

“An abundance of intellect.”

So that’s what you call them.

14. Dark Malady says:

I can’t get the Video to load. (youtube just hates me, always has, videos and trailers mostly pass me by.)

Is it anything like ScrumbleShip? (or like what ScrumbleShip hopes to be)

15. edwardoka says:

TAUTOLOGYFACE

phlebas says:

Fully integrated modern physics engine for real box-on-box collisions!
    Real box-on-box collisions!

AndrewC says:

mooolti-pass!

18. oxykottin says:

BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION BOX ON BOX COLLISION

19. darkhog says:

Nah, probably get forgotten&abandoned just like other game like this (combining MC and space) which seems to erm… ran into some sort of blockade.

20. Artist says:

Mrs. Ellison, Kudos for your bad journalistc skills and for censoring my reply about your very bad report about this indie game. Ive stated that I will avoid any further journalistc attempts of Mrs. Ellison in the future and it was deleted. It just proved my stance. Thanks.

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

But what happens if she deletes this post as well? How will the people know?

• Palimpsest says:

I got censored too for a small joke regarding the post, which I was surprised about, but I’ll continue to visit RPS in good spirits.

• phelix says:

If a post gets deleted and nobody is around to see it,….?

• John Walker says:

Cara censored nothing. I did. Now please fuck off and never visit our website again. Cheers!

• engion3 says:

hahaha, I enjoy this site because of this.

• LennyLeonardo says:

It’s made more scarier because of the scary Diranosaurus.

• Jomini says:

Please always remember the three rules of RPS commenting:

“1) Don’t insult anyone, whether they’re an RPS writer, reader or anyone else whether present or not. Clearly you’re welcome to explain your dissatisfaction with something, but if you can’t make your argument without resorting to insults, it simply isn’t worth making. So the comment may well be deleted. Additional to this: any replies to objectionable comments may also be wiped.”

Consider this your last warning, or else I will have to ban you.

• Greggh says:

That was harsh… was it necessary?

• CloakRaider says:

Damn Jomini hitting with the ZING

• Artist says:

Oh my gosh, this verbal eloquence is blinding! Sorry, but I think I dont have your skills to fuck myself as good as you did with this hateful outburst! Congrats, Mr. Jonny Walker! =)

• Gundrea says:

Cara doesn’t have a coloured background and thus probably has no access to moderator functions. Over years of study I’ve built a map of user levels and access rights to rockpapershotgun. This helpful chart should explain it all.

• Cara Ellison says:

Ahahaha this made me laugh so much

Bluerps says:

Me too, and I needed a good laugh, as my day has been full of suck, so far.
          Thanks Gundrea! :)

• The Random One says:

Grumpy Cat’s catch phrase “I had fun once. It was awful.” was originally created by Kate Beaton, who remains uncredited.

Gundrea’s a pretty cool sn tho

• Ergates_Antius says:

Having your post deleted doesn’t prove your point at all. It just proves you were being a cock. As has been re-affirmed by your follow up.

• Cara Ellison says:

Why don’t you go and make a tumblr about it dude, your anger seems a little out of place on RPS where once in a million years we would like to take games a little less seriously than nuclear war

21. Teal says:

Eh, MINECRAFT EVE ONLINE actually sums up 100% of what I needed to know about this game. I’ll allow it, he says a little snarkily.

22. spamenigma says:

Who wouldn’t want to build and fly this: http://imgur.com/a/0TUFU :)

I’ve enjoyed playing this, and look forward to future builds, polish and balance. I like that they are trying to build in a level of modding capability into the game. I need to find some HD textures such as in the link as the current textures do get a bit eyesoreish…. Its also worth the reminder this passed Steam Greenlight so should be on steam at some point. In the mean time its free to go play now and cheap if you want to buy beta/final.

23. SuicideKing says:

WHERE IS ALEC WHERE IS ALEC WHERE IS ALEC WHERE IS ALEC

WHERE IS ALEC MEER? :(

Harlander says:

Where is Alec, Where is Alec, Where is Alec Meer?

If he were to turn up, it would bring us cheer

Something something something,
      something something ear

something something something something,
      something something beer!

24. squareking says:

Everything’s fairly well elucidated in the image hover text, to be fair.

25. MadTinkerer says:

I heartily approve of the AI Blocks. Once upon a time, in the early 80s, mankind had access to programmable personal computers where you could type commands in BASIC. Just a few decades later there were even goddamned iPhones which absorbed the functions of all analog comunication and entertainment devices thanks to digital technology.

This completely flew in the face of classic 60s and 70s science fiction which assumed Big Computers of the time would become Big Computers In Space. And now we have a game that does that very thing! Each 1 meter by 1 meter block representing a single line of code: Absolutely brilliant.

26. engion3 says:

You never go full retard.

27. Mad Hamish says:

Man some people seem to think games should be treated like war correspondence. They’re not reporting drone attacks on schools. You grumps are as tedious as the commenters that mindlessly repeat those jokes you seem to hate so much.

28. BenAttenborough says:

I think the guy in the video said “It’s literally infinite in every direction, it would take 10,000 years to fly from one end to the other…” Um, so not infinite then?

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

My jaw was literally on the floor when I read that.

• BenAttenborough says:

I think he meant to say something along these lines: ‘”Space,” it says, “is big. Really big. You just won’t believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it’s a long way down the road to the chemist’s, but that’s just peanuts to space”‘

29. KirbyEvan says:

GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM GAME JOURNALISM–

But seriously this game is nothing like EVE Online and plays more like grindy mcgrindgrind to be able to build big ships.

Combat is rather basic and ship design is literally about shoving as much technocrap into it as you can.

• wu wei says:

So it’s exactly like EVE Online then.

30. ostrich160 says:

Its not EVE online, the only thing it has in common is space. Thats like saying EVE online is exactly like the moon landing with lasers, no

• BenAttenborough says:

Although a moon landing game with lasers would be awesome! Maybe…