Support Boobjam, A Game Jam About Boobs

By Cara Ellison on July 31st, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

Lovely friend and colleague at Unwinnable Jenn Frank is not only one of my favourite writers about games, but she is also compassionate and intelligent and has come up with a great idea. Instead of complaining about the portrayal of breasts in games, why don’t we make more games about them? Specifically, why don’t we make games about all the different ways that we encounter them, and not just as some jiggle physics in Dead or Alive?

Read on for more details on the Boob Jam.

Yesterday, Jenn Frank accidentally got deodorant all over her left boob before an appointment, and as she earnestly blotted, she thought: why don’t I make a game called ‘Final Reality’ where this was the reality of being in possession of boobs? Thinking further, she wondered what it would be like to be a ‘sexy’ videogame character who had to go and shop for bras, only to cry because nothing was in her size? Many women who have large breasts have this problem. Large breasts can give you back problems, and often people like Drew Barrymore opt to have them reduced. Breasts are a fact of life, and are a bodily part that belongs to someone, and aren’t just for visual pleasure. I like to think that Boob Jam would be a way for women (and men) to portray boobs as not an extraordinary service to straight men , but as something that affects people and their relationships in many different ways.

What if a video game promoted breast health, narrated the terror of illness, or described the process of developing breasts, especially from a transwoman’s perspective? What if a game simply described bra-shopping? (It’s tough! It’s expensive!)

I remember when I first started actually getting a rack, and thinking, this is terrifying. And it was! Men started viewing me as something different than they did before. They started to feel like they could comment on my body. I started to feel like my body wasn’t for myself any more, my own tool to make things happen. I started to feel like my body was for other people. Because my body was visually interpreted as being sexual from that moment onwards, I did absolutely everything in my power to try to deal with that. I wore giant jumpers to hide from the sexual interpretation: people criticized me for being frumpy or like a man. I wore tighter jumpers, people would make unwelcome comments. Jenn Frank wrote in her own very great piece ‘I Was A Teenage Sexist‘ “First, I had to make peace with being a woman. Next, I had to make peace with being terrible at being a woman.” I think every woman has to make peace with being a woman, because we are constantly corrected for all of our behaviour and looks, no matter what we do, and our not conforming is often used to discredit us in public arenas, even in politics, as has been the case with Julia Gillard, Australia’s previous Prime Minister. It will be interesting to play games where boobs… well… have something to say.

What do boobs mean to a new mother, or to a new woman? To a person in actual, physical pain? What might they mean to a real superhero or armor-clad warrior? Or, if boobs really are sexual objects, who, besides straight dudes, can sexualize them?

Let’s demystify boobs!
- Jenn Frank

Find out more here about how you can submit your games to a Dropbox here, or you can read a little more about the Jam here.

[Boob courtesy of Ted DiNola, from a concept by Ian Miles Cheong.]

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. db1331 says:

This site has really gone tits up this week.

2. distantlurker says:

Boob Jam?

Boob. Jam. BOOBJAM. bOOb jAm. Boooooob Jaaaaaaam.

The words have lost all meaning.

• DrScuttles says:

When you fly, so wingish speed. Then thwack. Ee path be glass, and broke-beak slump on ground, all quiver-pigeon. While rattus rub hands in the shadows.
      And when ee sing so full with bursting soul, ee heart fly out of mouth! And then bashed be bit by all with ears, who cry “shut, shut, shut it up, oo cackamuffin…”
      Then welcome. Mm, oo vuf welcome, in Boob Jam. Boob Jam? BOOB JAM. bOOb jAm.
      Boooooob Jaaaaaaam.

• Brained says:

If there was ever a reason to join a site, it’s this comment. You truly are a cryptomasturbatory entropoid.

• DrScuttles says:

Now you have glimpsed all our hypocrisies in a neuro-plastic ellipse.

• A Bunny says:

Suddenly, words have become my downfall as I scramble for a dictionary only to trip and land face-first against the corner of my desk…

…I wish I was joking! My boobs were worthless in this endeavor.

• jiaco says:

Wow, I feel like Ummagumma has come back from the dead to grove with a pict.

• Faxmachinen says:

The pig go. Go is to the fountain. The pig put foot. Grunt. Foot in what? ketchup. The dove fly. Fly is in sky. The dove drop something. The something on the pig. The pig disgusting. The pig rattle. Rattle with dove. The dove angry. The pig leave. The dove produce. Produce is chicken wing. With wing bark. No Quack.

3. Totally heterosexual says:

Im still waiting for the game that touches on similar issues with penises.

They are important too! All this focus on breasts is horribly sexists against men I say!

4. Sian says:

I’m not sure RPS is SFW right now. And this is one of my go-to sites when I’m bored at work. :(

5. Hazzard65 says:

When they get round to the revolutionary boob physics simulations, call me.

6. CelticPixel says:

Dear internet, I want to play a blacksmith who has to somehow design and create effective female armor to allow lady warriors to win their battles while protecting their all important lady bits . Think Skyrim smithing meets Kerbal Space Program. If too many customers die your professional reputation is ruined and you go out of business, or all their grieving husbands descend on your shop and burn it to the ground.

• db1331 says:

What if you designed a full chest piece that looked like a pair of boobs? That way, the female warrior would be completely protected, but it would look like she were topless. GENIUS.

• Cuddlefish says:

The problem with using a ‘chestplate’ is that it runs directly counter to one of the main objectives of armor design. Normally, the components are designed as much as possible to get incoming attacks to deflect or glance away, meaning most of their energy doesn’t actually get transferred into you the target. Having cleavage on your armor means you’ve got a wide area that will direct shots inward, right into your sternum – and then they’ve got nowhere else to go, so all that energy will transfer as well as it can into your torso. That’s about the opposite of helpful – and of course all that energy you’ve collected is being lined up right at your vitals. It should still resist blades, but cutting attacks are the last of your worries anyway. And while I don’t know too much about the design of armor against firearms, I know shot traps are a design concern on armored vehicles so the same principles most likely apply.

• Turkey says:

It would be hilarious if the conflict of the game is that you barely get enough metals to build complete sets of armour, so you’re forced to make sexy fantasy armour out of smaller bits.

• Bull0 says:

You assume these women have husbands? You monster

• Grygus says:

To be fair, “all their grieving husbands” only requires that two of them have husbands.

• Nidokoenig says:

That gives me an idea, selling armour to wives of women who’ve died or been captured while wearing your armour so that they can wreak their revenge, and by what percentage you might try to under-/overcharge to preserve your reputation, equip them to retrieve a loyal customer, or simply stop them from tearing you apart. Maybe multiple wives for some women to randomise the effect of giving a customer shoddy armour to push the player to be cautious. With a complex web of relationships, that you can only see if you do honest business and make friends with your customers(Ooh, hidden mistresses to reinforce the benefits of making very good friends) that could be a very interesting game. Hmm, perhaps weaker armour means they make shorter expeditions, and thus bring back more loot, since they come back soon after maxing their inventory rather than pushing ahead and dropping lower value items on longer expeditions. Armour made of certain materials or enchanted with certain runes from ancient ruins is required for them to be able to access certain areas. Manipulating the price you’ll pay for raw materials to encourage them to bring back more valuable loot, while not dropping the price so low they start to take some of their business elsewhere and new warriors can’t make ends meet.
        A saucy version of Recettear crossed with My Life as King. That’d be pretty cool.

• realitysconcierge says:

I think this is a perfect pitch for the game jam.

• scatterlogical says:

Oh yes, I can only imagine how well the refined engineering approach and spot-on accurate physics simulation of Kerbal Space Program would work when applied to breasts.

Kinda gives me visions of bags of silly putty wrapped in duct tape in a tumble-dryer.

7. Skeletor68 says:

Butter is boob jam.

On a more serious note that sounds like a fun idea for a game jam.

8. SuicideKing says:

This is probably needed. I Frankly think it’s a good idea, Jenn!

9. Moni says:

For some reason, without looking at the byline, I always assume John Walker writes everything on RPS. Reading the third paragraph was a lot more funny to me than it should have been.

Nevertheless, it reminds me that puberty is fucking weird and terrible, it should be avoided at all costs.

• Nalum says:

I get the same feeling when I read anything on this site… don’t know why.

About John Walker, not the puberty thing, although puberty is a weird place to be.

10. Misnomer says:

This is a weird idea. Not for the obvious reasons necessarily, but for some straight demographic ones.

These “games” are targeting only 50% of the population at best. (Realistically it is a much smaller group of people who play indie games or read websites like this), but still only half at best of the population would actually care about this… the other half lives with this everyday so it really isn’t exactly their type of game because it is meant to convey that same everyday experience.

This seems really unappealing to women if it is supposed to show how much of a disability having certain body parts can be. It isn’t exactly Euro Truck Simulator where some trucker could live out the fantasy of traveling beyond his or her limited route or play with a fancier truck, this is more like a Euro Truck game designed to show how annoying it is to be a trucker when 50% of the population is comprised of truckers.

It looks like just about as good an idea as that amputation game. Games seem like a good way to create empathy, but so far we haven’t see execution that truly creates much more than mocking.

Plus, as gamers we keep claiming that games have very little to do with reality. So if there is no pure artistic message here and rather a utilitarian one…why should this be more capable of teaching men about anatomical ??responsibility?? than shooters are at teaching people about violence? (I suppose the answer to this could be “educational games work.”)

It is still a game after all.

• Cara Ellison says:

Games are wonderful at creating empathy! That Dragon Cancer, Shelter which I previewed on this very website, Shadow of the Colossus, Journey, To The Moon….games are amazing at it.

These games are also not limited to games grounded in reality, as Jenn mentioned, women warriors and superheroes are also welcomed.

• Misnomer says:

But those aren’t examples of empathy for real people, that is empathy for in game characters. So now you have to characterize the person with the anatomical inconvenience and make us empathize with her inconvenience. So am I empathizing with her or her anatomy? Does that educate the gamer that anyone with this anatomy is going to be like this character then?

And then that translates to real people? Or other gaming characters?

I felt an immense amount of empathy at the end of Bioshock 2, but I am not sure that really informs me if I were to encounter a girl with superhuman powers born of a genetically modified father/thing. Additionally, it would be a bit odd to superimpose that empathy on your standard female in reality with father issues.

The mere fact that I was playing as the father figure doesn’t make it any more of a lesson in how to empathize with girls who are having an identity crisis due to their parents than watching Disney’s Cinderella.

More realistically, I think it would be wildly inappropriate to use the empathy I felt in Call of Duty 2 to inform how I talk to World War 2 veterans. I have talked to veterans before and I find that the more I eliminate any notion that I have been educated by media or even books about their personal experiences, the more I empathize, and not sympathize, with the real person.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

I can imagine how a game that deals with cancer, or BDD, could be a powerful vessel for empathy (or maybe even a game that chronicles one woman’s relationship with her breasts and how it changes throughout her life) but only as far as the game’s story goes, and arguably better off as a movie or a book.

EDIT: Although I have played some powerful text based adventure games that I think work better as games.

I would think that game mechanics centered around the every day reality of just happening to have breasts could only ever have interesting gameplay, with a lot of exaggeration, which opens the game up for ridicule. Or if the game’s characters were sexualized, and men played out of the same sort of voyeurism that attracts people to Hentai games and the like. I can’t see how either of these scenarios is good for women.

• RegisteredUser says:

Agree about the vet thing, having talked to, lived with and otherwise been around quite a few of them myself. Also was “lucky” enough to have had family members that were in the second world war, that lived to tell of it.
          Made it rather aggravatingly clear how retarded censorship of “violent” videogames is. I’ve not once had a nightmare about playing DOOM or Call of Duty(or any FPS). But various tales of Stukas overhead and other warzone settings gave me dreams of being shot and bleeding out myself.

On that note:
          War is not a good thing.
          Violent videogames are fun.

• RegisteredUser says:

Quite frankly, if I can’t as another clothes-wearing human being feel empathy when a girl/woman/my gf / SO tells me that her bra constantly is pinching her and that its driving her nuts, then I am not sure some attempt at a gaming metaphore/analogue will.
        And even if it could, I would very much prefer to live in a world where the first option already works, is preferred and takes precedence.

It is one thing to kind of say yea here is this example for a real low % of population that gets this kind of disability or disease and we have to deliver their message through a mass medium or you probably won’t realize how different it is for them.
        It is another to put around half of the entire world’s population in that spot.

Which also makes it plain how at times ludicrous the “Can’t you see that there is this female being that has issues of her own” notion is at times, and how – again, at times – self-created. I for one already was/am aware, due to having already met several in real life before _and_ having even communicated and exchanged ideas.

Unlike with a lot of the more narrowed demographics, or people living under certain conditions of squalor, extremism, censorship, etc pp.

• Dr I am a Doctor says:

I can imagine a 50-year old weathered trucker crying tears of joy because finally, finally he’s able to make that turn to Hannover he’s been passing for the last 30 years

• JackShandy says:

What’s wrong with targeting “Only” 50% of the population? Trying to be all things to all people is not actually a recipe for good art.

• tuttelihevonvittu says:

Nothing when it’s lady-girls, but targeting menfolk perpetuates rape culture.

• gwathdring says:

Targeting men-folk by playing to rape-culture perpetuates rape-culture. Targeting men-folk in isolation is fine. Targeting men-folk to the exclusion of women-folk is bad business.

A game jam about things that probably concern women more than men is in no way similar to major corporations trying to pretend women are not a marketable gaming demographic and that games with female protagonists can’t sell units.

Finally, the whole point is that there AREN’T boy games and girl games. There can be games about women and womens issues and breasts and breast issues and there can be games about shooting things as a woman or shooting things as a man. But most games are just about doing thing X (shooting, jumping, building, whatever) and gender of the various characters is utterly irrelevant to the game. Boys and girls and men and women and anyone in between can enjoy games about pretty much anything from shooting aliens to building cities to, yes, bra shopping. Sorry to burst your cynical bubble, but Boob Jam isn’t part of the problem and mainstream gaming still has sexist attitudes ingrained in it’s practices.

But I forgot. Feminism either wants perfect, split-the-child-in-half levels of equality or wants to break men into tiny pieces out of revenge right? Silly me, thinking there’s middle ground. And sillier me for being surprised someone dragged up Man vs. Feminism when feminism wasn’t even necessarily on the table. What’s on the table is innovative games about breasts becasue breasts are in video games, and here to stay and we might as well be clever and funny and interesting about it.

• WrenBoy says:

TLDR
            You cant make a boob jam without breaking a few testicles.

• gwathdring says:

What, do testicles contain Pectin or something?

Personally, I prefer “You can’t have a Boob Jam without breaking a few pairs.”

• WrenBoy says:

@gwathdring
            Ah, thats much better. Well played.

• gwathdring says:

• Misnomer says:

It think it is because the whole point of targeting that 50% is to “educate” them about this reality or viewpoint. It really isn’t that different that making a game that is designed to teach gamers 3rd grade math. It is targeted at 2nd-3rd grade children… okay. But that makes it not art in many ways, it is purely utilitarian and while children have a reason to want to learn math (a parent usually) the target audience of this has no reason to want to play it bar curiosity.

The other danger of course being that whomever is telling the story probably approaches two dangerous areas when it comes to feminists: (1) That you just made having breasts a disability by making a game to show how it is such a special condition that it cannot be fathomed by the 50% of the population targeted by the game (2) The maker of the game presumed to speak for all women and thus made all women the cup size of the player character (with the Western first world problems of bra selection and mammograms).

Perhaps the second one is able to be avoided with some character creation creativity, but now you have a very complex collision model and dialogue tree situation. I might actually be interested to see how that problem would be solved in a game with this theme.

So those are the dangers with any game like this that I see. It preaches to the choir and still possibly offends the stalwarts.

• gwathdring says:

I don’t see why having a target audience means you have to be a) educational or b) not art. The idea that those two are exclusive also befuddles me. Perhaps I misunderstood you though.

Also I’m not sure offending people is an especially big danger, here. People are already offended by the status quo. The stated purpose is, at least in part, discussion through game design. Dialog through entertainment and art (and presumably also actual dialog afterwards). A bunch of people will make games that in some ways relate to boobs and those ways will be different from the way most games tend to involve boobs. I don’t think offending people in that context is dangerous. If offense occurs, we’re already setting the stage for discussion and understanding; it’s not just getting thrown out there and treated like any other game. It’s a creative game jam, so mistakes and criticisms and misfires and questions and answers are all to be expected along with at least a couple of gems in the rough.

• randomnine says:

Why do you think games about having boobs would be unappealing to women?

You know that bit in The 40 Year Old Virgin where Andy sits down to urinate and wees in his own face because he’s got a massive erection? That is PENIS HUMOUR. It is entertainment specifically based on the experience of having a penis. If you’ve got a penis you know what it’s like to try and pee with a hard-on. The scene lets us men laugh about that shared experience by turning it up to 11 and not making us wipe pee off things after.

Men don’t get up and walk out of the cinema when that happens! They don’t go “well, I deal with this issue on an everyday basis so it’s not interesting to me”. They laugh extra hard. The film being about relateable, negative everyday experiences for men, from specifically that scene to more generally the common male experience of being a virgin boy or man in a society where male virginity is considered a failing, makes it more enjoyable for men. Not less.

Likewise… if you expect every game from this jam to be a dry feminist educational pamphlet aimed solely at straight men I think you might be disappointed. There will be games explicitly made for people who have boobs that may not be as understandable or fun if you don’t have boobs. There will no doubt be games that are fun. And I bet you anything you like that many of the people who play, enjoy and discuss the games from this jam will be women.

• Misnomer says:

At which point you have hit the amputee game problem. You are now mocking those people in order to get other people to empathize. I haven’t seen the movie you are discussing, but it sounds to me like classic slap stick and not necessarily a statement about male anatomy.

After seeing that movie do you really expect a female artist of any form to reconsider her position on depictions of male anatomy in light of their urination + arousal issues? Even in movies, does that make any sense?

So if your point is to make fun of female anatomy in a humorous sense, then I guess you can start walking the fine line of satire with this games jam. But you are still satirizing women and specifically women with breasts large enough to have deodorant type issues. That is you are hoping that by mocking them they will laugh along with you and that will enlighten everyone.

Perhaps it would be better to satirize the games and their depictions of women rather than satirizing women with certain shapes in reality. If the message is supposed to be about breasts as they are usually depicted in video games, then that is where the satire should land.

• gwathdring says:

Humor doesn’t have to be mocking. Humor doesn’t have to be humiliating. I doubt every game for the jam will even BE humorous, let alone humorous in a mocking way.

Not every game is going to have a “point” either in the sense that I think you mean. Not every game is going to try to educate group X, Y, or Z. Some of theme will be made by men, others by women others by non-binary gendered folks. Like games for any competition. Some of them will have a serious artistic message, others will tack the theme onto a primarily game-y game. Yet others will be humorous. I really don’t see why you’re so absolutist in your glumness about the contest.

It’s not all about getting people to empathize, though that’s going to be what some of the games do. Some of it’s going to be sharing in-jokes with people who already understand. I could keep going, but I don’t need to. It’s a GAME JAM, there’s going to be a lot of variety and a lot of unexpected stuff and most of it isn’t quite going to work or necessarily even make sense but it will probably all be worth it for the couple that knock it out of the park and the substantially larger group that mostly function in one way or another and are short enough that their failings don’t matter too much.

• crinkles esq. says:

Okay, well how about a truck driver simulator game where the driver is a lady who’s hauling a heavy load in both directions, if you get my drift. Large Marge’s Truck Simulator 2013. Back pain from her large boobs leads to riding the highs and lows between her pain meds and the cocaine to keep her awake.

11. Hodge says:

Obligatory Tim Minchin.

And I think that this is a splendid idea.

12. rustybroomhandle says:

I fear this might turn out like FuckThisJam where a large number of the participants completely miss the point/purpose of it in the first place.

• Cara Ellison says:

All the people who have said that this game jam is sex negative have missed the point I fear: the game jam IS sex positive, in that it is about everyone’s libidos and what they think of boobs, not just straight guys. Even gay men are making games for this jam.

13. PleasureDude says:

Sometimes I miss the time where games generally was about crushing dudes with your body weight.
    Oh, those were the times…

14. mrwout says:

Are moobs allowed?

15. xfstef says:

“…and aren’t just for visual pleasure.”
    As a young man I totally agree and frown upon other men who consider them ONLY visual pleasure…
    they are most definitely also a great touching pleasure :D.

let there be boobs !
    slow clap in 3…
    2…
    1…

16. Skeletor68 says:

Anyone up for Perineum Jam?

17. apocraphyn says:

EDIT: Comment I was commenting upon was deleted.

Uhm. I will try and make the breast of a sticky situation.

• tossrStu says:

There seem to be a lot of orphaned comments on here. I’m guessing quite a few people have had their posts deleted for acting like tits?

• RedViv says:

@tossrStu
        Yes, there was quite some boobery going on. Rather sadly obvious, considering the topic. But John is being a good warden, and we thank him for it.

€: Oh dear, it broke the replies too.

ANYWAY I am really looking forward to what people might come up with. My lacking any programming skills is keeping me from participating. Otherwise I’d make some QWOP-ish thing about dancing around the battlefield in fantasy armour, and the ensuing hilarity/awkwardness/embarrassment if breasts were actually subject to real physics in that scenario.

• Greggh says:

The pun thread says: “I’m up here, look up here”

EDIT – replies are broken : oh bummer

18. X_kot says:

Continuing the theme of feminine existential gaming, I would recommend a PearlJam, except, y’know, copyright…:(

19. The Random One says:

Derp, comment deleted.

So instead: those boobs at the headline are freaking me out, because the nipples are X’s, and in cartoons if something has X’s for eyes it’s dead, and nipples are but the breast’s eye, so are those boobs dead RPS???????? :O

20. Randomer says:

Why does this make you so angry? It’s clearly a genre that you are not interested in – is there something wrong with someone else thinking this is pretty cool?

As an analogy, there seems to be a resurgence in adventure games these days. But I don’t care about adventure games at all! Should I be mad that people are making adventure games instead of making roguelike-likes? Should I be mad at the people that enjoy adventure games? Or should I rejoice that there are a wide range of games that suit all manner of tastes?

EDIT: Comment I was commenting on was also deleted. So let me just say that I think this game jam is a great idea!

21. MellowKrogoth says:

This makes me think about how realistic graphics and physics have become in modern games… except for breasts. Funny how something you see everyday on the street (jiggling boobs and other body parts, be they sexy or borderline gross) becomes viewed as perverted when it tries to cross the line into video games.

What’s hilarious is that the old King’s Quest games had 100% more boob jiggling than modern FPS and RPGs. Watching those four pixels go up and down was pretty hypnotic when I finally got to watch Youtube Let’s Plays of these old games.

Anyways, it seems that anything that touches women will always be controversial. As Cara is hinting them themselves are conflicted between liking the power and attention that being a “desire-creating machine” and “life-giving machine” can grant them, and hating all the inconvenients that come with that, so it can hardly be otherwise.

22. jonahcutter says:

Will we get “My Eyes Are Up Here”?

A survival-horror stealth game where a player tries to surreptitiously sneak glances at cleavage without getting caught.

Hell, it could have competitive multiplayer, where one can play either as the glancer or the glancee.

23. Jenks says:

This oppressive culture of intolerance of the boob loving, privileged patriarchy must be stopped at all costs. The time has come for we ass men to rise up and make our voices heard.

24. Dances to Podcasts says:

Deodorised boob is a good thing. Were it not for the boob it would end up in your eyes!

25. stupid_mcgee says:

My darling, I love you and you know my love is true. But, sweetheart, something’s come between us and those new boobs just aren’t you.

Seriously, though, how has no one posted this? This needs to be Boobjam’s theme song. (the whole song is good, but the end is the best)

26. JamesTheNumberless says:

I had a go at coming up with a few ideas and found that as a straight man it’s incredibly difficult to be sure my ideas aren’t going to come across as just something that only a man with no idea what it’s like to have breasts could come up with.

Actually, maybe that’s a good side-effect of this jam. Maybe it’s making many male designers realize that they don’t know the first thing about what it’s like to be a woman with breasts, and that they might come back to this thought the next time they’re designing one.

Now the question is, which of my female friends can I pitch these ideas to, as a conversation opener?..

27. Bluerps says:

This is an awesome idea!

28. nitehawk says:

Next will be games about foot fetishes…. Toe Jam.

29. weedrk says:

Sorry, but you can’t change how men look at breasts. You can shame us into not looking as much or make us try to not look at all, but in the end, we like boobs. Have you looked up why burqas are so popular for some cultures? I don’t advocate them myself, but I do know that they have had a certain (positive/negative) impact on “men looking at women” too much. Also, I find that I don’t obsess about parts of my body too much and I don’t feel the need to write a story, photograph, conceptualize or make games about them. Maybe that is an approach that would help?

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

Quote from the article: No one is claiming that a great rack doesn’t have its place in gaming canon. But instead of having the same conversation over and over, why not try having a new discussion altogether?

Exactly where in the article is anyone trying to shame you? Where in the original jam idea is anyone trying to abolish male gaze?

Read the damned thing before victimizing yourself.

And if you don’t like to obsess about parts of your body too much and don’t feel the need to write a story, photograph, conceptualize or make games about it, fine. But why get irrationally irate at ones who might want to?

• jennfrank says:

Your mother’s mastectomy would probably change how you view breasts, yes.

• equatorian says:

If 99% of the media objectifies the male buttcheeks instead of female boobs and >50% of random strangers feel the need to loudly point out the quality of men’s buttcheeks and what it implies of your worth as a human/H. Sapiens breeding stock, I feel that it’d be only human for males to be conscious of their buttcheeks somewhat, too.

• gwathdring says:

“That said, why I don’t do gender identities anymore and thus do not obsess over my secondary sexual features, I can understand why someone would and it’s well within polite society’s standards to explore issues that are important to them, IMO.”

Indeed. In general society, these things are considered important, worthy of evaluation (often unwanted). Gender, and everything associated with it, is a big deal the world over. I’d love it if no-one cared especially much, but that’s not the soup we swim in. As long as gender is important, and breasts are a notable feature in our media and a point of obsession in the cultures of the primary audience for this sort of thing … it isn’t particularly relevant whether or not individual members of the audience do or do not obsess over any parts of their body.

As an American both assigned and (mostly) performing male, even being relatively trim and fit I’m not immune to body image problems–nothing too serious, fortunately, but I’ve had my moments of irrational concern with how people perceive me. I can’t imagine facing those sorts of irrational concerns and then having unwanted attention on top of that to confirm your body consciousness and make you feel either more ashamed or more awkward or both. :/

30. rustybroomhandle says:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 but you play as that controversial character from Dragon’s Crown.

31. LordOfPain says:

Um, as for Julia Gillard, some proper research would reveal that she pushed ‘misogyny’ as the reason for any sort of criticism of her, even to the point of accusing the Coalition (who are apparently only ‘men with blue ties’) of preparing to attack women’s rights, including abortion.
    That was the last straw for her own party, who had to get rid of her and replace her with the only prime minister in recent times as bad as she was. Probably even worse. He’s actually hated by several of his own side’s MPs.
    Normally I don’t bother to comment on stuff like this but honestly… :/

32. s0nicfreak says:

Okay… now how about a jam about how hard it is to have a penis? Sobbing softly when getting an erection in the middle of class? The point where you realize that every time you get sexually aroused, the whole world is going to know.. and that sometimes when you just get excited, the whole world is going to think you are sexually aroused?

33. Eschatos says:

I would love to make an action RPG featuring a stereotypical female protagonist with tits larger than her head, then accurately model physics so that the greatest difficulty is not the enemies threatening her life, but the inertia of her breasts. A shame my existing skills are inadequate for such a task.

34. Eventide says:

” if boobs really are sexual objects, who, besides straight dudes, can sexualize them?”

Well, as a lesbian, I could tell you who…

35. davemaster says:

Why are you even posting this feminist #1stworldproblem shite?

36. flang says:

I would anticipate lots of games about breast cancer and transgender issues, basically, and probably not so many that could be described as “sex-positive.”

Comment on this story