Tamriel, Man: Skywind Squeezes Morrowind Into Skyrim

By Craig Pearson on August 20th, 2013 at 8:00 am.

If someone is keeping a Big List Of Inevitable Things somewhere, they can cross out ‘modders remaking Morrowind in the Skyrim engine’. For it is no longer inevitable, but is in fact, er, evitable? No, that’s not right. Though I guess you could avoid it, but that would make the modders of Skywind very sad indeed, because all their hard work in rebuilding Morrowind is worth looking at. Even if you just coo over the videos below, because cooing over the scenery is pretty much all that’s possible right now.

They’ve built most of the world, but the tricky part of adding NPCs, quests, and skills has yet to come. So if you do manage to skip through the several steps required to download and install the thing, including owning the original Morrowind and its expansions, when you decide to leave Skyrim and visit Morrowind you’ll just hanging about awkwardly. Questless. At least you won’t upset anyone if you run around naked in this empty land of nothing. In fact, feel free to download one of those mods where you add a mighty wang to your character and let it flap about. There’s no-one there to judge you.

Check it, yo.

Via das Reddit.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Chalk says:

Don’t forget Skyblivion – the Oblivion remake.

Though Skywind is much more exciting. I have a feeling that adding in all the NPC’s and quests is going to end up taking a very, very long time… :(

2. Alexander says:

Offtopic: EA Origin offering refunds on EA games, y’all.

• Fanbuoy says:

So I hear, and ’tis excellent news indeed! I wonder if it’s possible to stock up on Humble Origins Bundles and gradually refund the games. I sure hope not, as this behaviour should be encouraged! Remains to be seen how they handle games from resellers, though.

• Alexander says:

Sadly, for now it’s only for games directly distributed by EA (on Origin, everything is distributed by EA, but outside, some games have other producers) and you can only return a game after a maximum of 24 hours since playing it the first time. Still, it’s a decent start. Full games as demos for 24 hours, not bad.

• gunny1993 says:

I recommend suspending elation till they release the Ts&Cs, could be that you can only have 5 hours of gametime in that 24 hours.

Regardless it’s a good move

• Alexander says:

I surely expect that. Actually, until other services step in with something more relaxed, I expect them to butcher this to uselessness.

• SuicideKing says:

Damn i though i’d return my BF3 copy that i pre-ordered.

• RProxyOnly says:

Well I’ll never be able to get a refund from them… because I’ll never give them any money.

EA do ONE half decent thing after a litany of anti-consumer practices and you all seem halfway out your seats to forgive them already.

Jeez..That’s sad.. and very shortsighted :(

• Alexander says:

Christ, man, I’m not forgiving them for anything. I’m very skeptical about this and hope that Steam and others will follow. Stop being so moralistic about this, I was just telling people about the news.

• Shodex says:

To be fair, positively approaching this will encourage EA to keep doing it. This is a VERY good thing they did, does it make up for past sins? No, not likely. But what it does do is give Steam a little pressure, so maybe one day I’ll be able to refund the 100+ shitty games I don’t remember buying.

3. FesterSilently says:

*excited*

But, seriously, I was, literally, *just* talking to a friend about Morrowind Overhaul, and when we quit chatting, I jump on teh intarwebs and stumble across this!

Synchronicity, I say! :D

4. Liudeius says:

Can anyone vouch for these mods?
    I’m never sure what to think about these Morrowind/Oblivion transplants.
    Would you recommend playing the official versions (and their own graphics mods) or the mod versions for someone who has never played Morrowind?

• Chalk says:

Well, no one can answer that until this mod is complete.

If this mod ends up containing all the quests, along with voice acting – then the mod will probably be better than the original. But seeing as you need to own the original in order to play the mod – you don’t have to choose between one or the other. You can try both…

• Fanbuoy says:

I doubt Skywind will feature VA, but then again, neither did Morrowind. However, if the mod turns out to be good (and finished), it will probably be my go to version, provided that it’s not an exact replication. I could do without Morrowind’s combat, for example.

• RProxyOnly says:

Considering that it’ll be using the original Morrowind assets, presumable the reason you need the actual MW discs, then there’s no reason at all that it couldn’t have VA.. and the original VA at that.

• Shaun239 says:

Morrowind did feature some VA as I remember being called an n’wah, s’ wit or a fetcher in the raspy original voices for dunmer.

The dunmer voices in Skyrim are just like normal humans…wish they’d kept the raspy, hostile voice styles of Morrowind.

• tehsorrow says:

The voice actor of the Morrowind Dunmer is still in Skyrim, he just can’t keep up that voice for the amount of VO that Skyrim would require, it’s too tough on his throat apparently. He actually trots out the original voice in the DLC playing Jiub again http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJZthGy-at4

• frightlever says:

I really hope they get this relatively complete. Morrowind is my favourite but Skyrim combat is ten-times better. Not good, obviously, but ten-times better than Morrowind’s combat.

• RProxyOnly says:

I don’t see any difference really between any of the three (MW, O, S) combat implementations…as far as I’m concerned they all have crap combat… but then again, I don’t play it for the combat (just as well.)

• SayNoToDRM says:

@RProxyOnly

The main difference between Morrowind’s combat and that of the later games is the use of an RNG (random number generator) to decide if your sword swipes even *connect* to the enemy, let alone do any damage. An exercise in frustration when you start without any combat skills.

• Chalk says:

Skywind should have voice acting. It says it right there on the mod page.

Falskaar also featured voice acting, (very good quality too) so it certainly is possible.

• Squirly says:

Are they also going to mod in certain spells like jump and flying? Because I distinctly remember Telvanni shrooms to being quit hostile to those who can’t fly. Heck, you’ll struggle with a main quest eventually if you can’t traverse those towers.

• frightlever says:

Taking out the levitate spells with Oblivion was pretty sad – because of the way they handled cities if I remember correctly. No real reason for disallowing it when adventuring though, you’ll just hit invisible borders at towns. I think some mods put Levitate back in anyway.

• Liudeius says:

Oh sure, but I meant in general. Isn’t this pretty common? I though I remembered hearing of a Morrowind>Oblivion and an Oblivion>Skyrim, even a Morrowind>Skyrim last year (though I suppose that could have been this).
        Since they seem to be the same team which made the Oblivion version, was that feature complete and worth playing over the original?

• Lawful Evil says:

Well, that is an easy question. Play the originals. With 95% certainty I can say that this mod will never be finished, nor will it be (in case it is finished) up to original Morrowind in terms of quality entertainment You can get.

• KingFunk says:

Hmmm… Difficult one – for a start, you’ll need to have a bit of installation nouse to get em working, but since you’re posting on RPS, you probably do…

A while back I spent many hours playing Morroblivion – i.e. Morrowind in the Oblivion engine. Although the expansions were largely unquested, a great deal of the vanilla Morrowind stuff was in there.

Honestly, I had an absolute blast – it was like living in nostalgia – all the greatness of Morrowind, but better than you remember (thanks to the mechanics of Oblivion, which aren’t perfect, but Morrowind combat is terrible in this day and age).

Flying was in. No voice-acting over and above the original. Some bugs (of course!). Good support from the community.

I shan’t forget the first time I set out to Caldera and ended up being save by the Caldera town guard as I legged it towards them with an Alit hot on my heels – exactly what happened shortly after I kicked off Morrowind some 10 years earlier…

• Inzimus says:

the only ‘issue’ most people have with Morrowind is the combat, apart from that there are mods enough out there that will turn Morrowind into the game that all the other Elder Scroll games could only dream of

and if combat is indeed a concern, ‘ere ya’ go:

it overhauls the combat-system to be more akin to Oblivion/Skyrim (i.e. no more randomly swinging your weapon and hoping that it lands a hit)

5. iHavePants says:

What these guys are doing is cool, but a comprehensively modded Morrowind looks better than this and has the added benefit of containing a game inside it.

• BrandeX says:

This. I guess it’s still fun for them anyway.

I wonder when someone is going to get around to putting Skyrim into Morrowind?

(Better yet, one of the first 4 TES games into any of the 3d engine ones.)

6. Cytrom says:

Morrowind in skyrim, Awesome! Will it ever be finsihed and working without serious issues? Highly doubtful.

Making the nps, quests and all the gameplay systems work is much more difficult than importing new (or “borrowed”) 3d models and terrain into the editor…

Still, fingers crossed and all.. good luck!

7. gunny1993 says:

Fuck that, i want Skyrim in the Morrowind engine

8. sinister agent says:

I thought “skywind” was the smell when you get on a recently-vacated passenger airplane.

9. Nemon says:

Oh, and don’t forget Tamriel Rebuilt. We’re still around. Making stuff.

10. ancienttyrael says:

I’ll take my chances with the OpenMW project. Those guys are promising vanilla gameplay running on a complete new engine with simple support as dropping the data files into a folder.

11. SanguineAngel says:

This just reminds me how sad I am that Oblivion and Skyrim really missed out on the opportunity for really exciting, otherworldly, fantasy worlds.

I still ploughed tons of hours into Skyrim to be fair but the world itself is no where near as thrilling as that.

• funzportz says:

I felt exactly the same way. They just seemed like rather uninspired visions of the european middle ages. Morrowinds queerness (both geographically and culturely) was its greatest asset.

• RProxyOnly says:

Same here. The design ethos for both Obliv and Sky were bland and generic.. detailed but bland and generic all the same.. there was nothing like the mushroom houses of the high elf and it was stuff like that, among other designs, that gave MW the interesting feel that it had. Creativity was certainly in short supply after MW.

• lokimotive says:

They’re kind of running out of traditionally medieval regions at this point. I’m hoping the next game, whenever the hell that happens, will feature Valenwood and Elsweyer, both of which could really push the designers to create some interesting geography, especially Elsweyer.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I, too, hope that Elsweyr is the next place, but let’s be honest: that’s going to be medieval North Africa/Arabia/etc. To be cynical, I think it’s actually unlikely that they’ll go to a non-human province if they can avoid it; the marketing team is going to be very “but the players aren’t going to relaaaaaaate” if the suggestion is made. My money’s on Hammerfell or even a return to Daggerfall (justified that most of the player base will actually have had no experience with that region).

• lokimotive says:

Well a North Africa/Arabia setting is at least slightly less expected in the grand scheme of Western Fantasy than Medieval castles and freakin’ dragons. You’re probably right about the human provinces, though. At least Hammerfel apparently has a desert.

12. KwisatzHaderach says:

Anxiously awaiting Skydaggerfall now!

13. Chiron says:

Sounds like a faithful recreation of the game

• phelix says:

That’s what I did 80% of the time in Morrowind, apart from exploring (and getting my lvl 1 char ripped to shreds by Cliffracers and Alits and Kagouti and whatnot), and I loved every minute of it.

14. Jerkzilla says:

Morrowind in Oblivion in Skyrim!

Although I don’t want to be a dick about what these guys are making, I’m kind of skeptical of any attempt to bring VVanderfell and the expansions into newer engines exactly as it was in Morrowind, specifically because of how the bigger view distance affects the sense of scale.

15. povu says:

Morrowind in an open source engine: https://openmw.org/en/

The project is getting along nicely.

Comment on this story