But Can I Craft A Mine? Everquest Next – Landmark

By Ben Barrett on August 22nd, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

Tomorrow, the world! Bwahahahaha!

Talking to the monsters just isn’t enough any more, things must be more complex. Gamers the world over cry-out for not only deeper interaction with their digital worlds but the ability to terraform them as well. Thus when earlier this month Sony Online Entertainment shocked the world by revealing Everquest Next might actually be relevant to the wider gaming community, its world-building utility Landmark was yet another pleasant surprise. Gamescom’s provided a platform to preach a little more information regarding the project and it’s just past this oddly destructible barrier.

Via a livestream Director of Development David Georgeson revealed that Landmark was more than just a tool. They’re producing it as a full MMO-style game including hub areas, social features, achievements and the other usuals. This includes actual character creation, further emphasising this isn’t just a level editor, and giving a sneak preview of the character classes available in Next itself. Playing consists of the sort of thing we’re more used to from Minecraft or Terraria – going out into the world to find new resources with which to create different tools or building materials to construct ever more complex landscapes. Areas of the world can be “claimed” allowing only you or approved friends/coworkers/children/pets to work on it.

To demonstrate possibilities, three time-lapse movies of construction in action were shown.

Interestingly, David stated that these videos were created using in-game options that will be available to players. At any time they can hit a record button and begin to create one, automatically uploading it to Youtube afterwards. This strikes me as complete genius and in-tune with current trends. We’re beginning to see a lot more of this sort of integration and the oncoming next-gen only promises to increase that further.

For more details, including plans for the Steam Workshop-alike Player Studio, check out the Landmark section of the livestream.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. El_MUERkO says:

The #2 video looks interesting, it looks like the user can Age items. Note the pillars center right that are placed then made to look worn or old.

• morgofborg says:

The videos all seem to depict people building with the mindset of a professional level designer creating a natural / weathered looking play environment to go into the MMO. That also seems to be the user story they’re painting for it: “create stuff and submit it to the MMO cash shop”. What I, and probably most people, want to see is how it looks when someone approaches it as if they were playing Minecraft. At this point its not completely clear that’s an experience its designed to cater to.

• pupsikaso says:

I don’t really see any kind of “aging” of these pillars. I mean to say, if you are expecting some kind of automatic “aging” brush, I doubt there will be one. What it looks like to me is that the pillars are first erected out of just standard blocks to give the general shape, and later on the shape is refined and finalized with finishing tools, just like you’d do with any kind of model creation software.

• crinkles esq. says:

I don’t really understand this. Why would someone – instead of building a mighty fortress for themselves – build some crumbling pillars? I don’t see how this relates to a player’s narrative in the game.

2. staberas says:

Pfff 10 min after release a huge penis castle in everquest will be erected….

• Noburu says:

It sure will be hard to thwart the urge to stroke your own ego by building such phallic devices.

EDIT: My avatar got ate fuuuuuuuuu!
      EDIT2: It’s back, strange.

• engion3 says:

Sounds like something a dick would do.

• Kitsunin says:

Of course those assholes would shaft us with that kind of crap.

• FuzzyBlueBaron says:

I dunno, PR might condom allowing it. Maybe they’ll change the game’s thrust to circumcise such activities before they come to release.

• Carlos Danger says:

I am going to build the Breastriary in Nippopolis. I better go get some cat piss to start cheesing.

• Grey Poupon says:

I’m guessing the system is a bit like Rift’s dimensions, so that you can only build in your own private corner of the world. So no public penises.

3. pupsikaso says:

Will there be an offline (or not) “sandbox” mode where you would have infinite resources and no limits on what you can build?

Will there be any kind of integration with EQ:Next, so that players can create objects, landscapes, or even entire worlds and then bring it into EQ:Next for others to play?

• darkChozo says:

On the former, I doubt it. It’d be nice, but they’re probably looking at it as an MMO extension, not to mention part of this is driven by wanting to crowdsource modeling for EQNext.

On the latter, they’ve said they’re doing some sort of system where assets from Landmark can be selected to be used in Next proper. Think Steam Community Workshop as a framework, most likely. I think they’ve mentioned that they’ll also issue specific requests for people to compete over (ie. SOE says “build us a wizard’s tower”, a bunch of people build towers and go through some sort of upvote system, SOE picks one of the popular ones and plops it in Next).

4. dagudman says:

I think it would be crazy to not have EQ Next Landmark free to play. If they have the normal EQ Next sub based or a 1 time purchase it would not only create hype as it would be kind of a demo for EQ Next and making it free for everyone would mean that they are going to get a lot more people making stuff.

5. BurningPet says:

Ahhhh. Voxel Farm is so impressive! kudos for the EQ team for using it.

6. mtomto says:

I really like what I read about this game :D

But then again I also liked what I read about Warhammer, swtor, Guild Wars 2, Secret World, Rift, Vanguard, Age of Conan, etc, ad infinitum and so on and on and on :-(

Better wait for a REview, not a preview :)

• pupsikaso says:

Being a veteran of so many disappoitments, surely by now you have realized to keep your heart cold and your expectations rooted?

7. Mctittles says:

Was really excited for this, but a couple things I find disappointing from the videos:

Contrast
    They need to up the contrast to add more definition to the areas. Everything looks so samey with the current dull settings. I know they are probably scared people won’t like having to see in the dark but this is really hazy looking.

Floating
    Showing the players floating around while building takes some of the fun out of having an avatar and makes it more a 3d tool. I love the danger of balancing on makeshift scaffolding in minecraft while trying to build an enormous and dangerous bridge. Without that there doesn’t seem much a need to even have a character in the game.

• irongamer says:

Lankmark is more of a crowd sourcing tool, I don’t believe there will be too much gaminess to it (besides achievements or something). If there is any building/mining in EQ Next, that is where I would expect to see things like fall damage.

8. Enid121 says:

my best friend’s mom makes $70/hour on the computer. She has been laid off for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $21378 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more here
    ..>>> http://CNN13.7.ly/Xaa