Skyward Collapse’s Nihon no Mura Expansion

By Jim Rossignol on August 28th, 2013 at 4:00 pm.

Arcen’s strangely beautiful isometric multi-sided god game, Skyward Collapse, is updating to version 2.0, and the same time as launching a Japanese-themed expansion, Nihon no Mura. Arcen explain: “The Japanese enter the fray on Luminith: their faction has a very strong military and a very strange pantheon: their gods are much more aggressive than their Greek and Norse counterparts, and each has three god creatures rather than three god tokens. Learning to play this new faction effectively is a fun new challenge: given how powerful the Japanese military and mythology are, you have to be very creative in how you help the Norse and Greeks drive back this threat.” Are you allowed to use two colons in a single sentence? Seems like dangerous sentence programming to me.

Lots of details on the expansion and the free upgrade here. There’s also a trailer detailing Nihon no Mura, which you can see below.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. HexagonalBolts says:

This game had totally passed me by before but looks very much like My Sort Of Thing. Any word on whether it’s good or not?

• BTAxis says:

From the bits and pieces I read around the ‘net, I got the impression it’s Not So Good.

• RedViv says:

It’s rather a very specific game, and good at that. If you ever wanted to play a somewhat complicated and really lopsided chess with two, now three, very different factions… This is probably a good game for that. At least it is to me.
        Demo is available on Arcen’s pages, so there’s always that.

• Arathain says:

“It’s rather a very specific game, and good at that.”

Yeah. I’ve started playing it, and it’s unique, and quite interesting. It’s a slow, deliberate game about trying to balance unpredictable, asymmetrical factions who insist on fighting everything they see, and over whom you only have indirect control. Meanwhile, the game keeps throwing in events to mess the balance up in different ways, and offers you lots of points if you use abilities that muck with the balance yourself.

It’s complicated and interesting and varied, as all Arcen games are. It’s also very niche. My main issue is that few of the things you do have much immediate impact. Most everything is very indirect. This isn’t ideal for any game, but for a god game it can be quite offputting. Summoning creatures is about the most direct thing you so, but since you have no control you never quite know what they’ll get up to once they show up.

If the concept sounds interesting then I heartily encourage investigating the demo. There’s a ton of meat to it if it happens to get its hooks in. Don’t be surprised if it just bounces right off, though.

• DianaBest says:

my classmate’s sister-in-law makes $73/hr on the computer. She has been fired for eight months but last month her paycheck was $16544 just working on the computer for a few hours. have a peek at this website… http://www.day37.com

• rpsKman says:

You can’t really have control over what’s happening, so it’s quite chaotic. A fun and complex bundle of mess.

2. MuscleHorse says:

Still feel completely burned with AVWW 1/2, but this does look interesting.

3. Elevory says:

Arcen’s games always seem very rushed to me.

4. Chris D says:

Edit: Supposed to be a reply to HexagonalBolts but you probably get the idea.

I had a hard time getting into it myself. It’s a clever idea, you have to balance the two sides against each other so that neither wipes out the other but neither is wiped out by the barbarians. The problem I had was that the interface makes it incredibly difficult to get the information you need to do this. You know whats happening at that moment but it’s harder to judge what will happen in two or three turns time. It feels like trying to work out how fast someone is running by looking at a series of still photographs. Much as I love turn-based games I can’t help feeling this one might have been more accesible if it had been in real time.

I don’t know that I’d go so far as to say it’s a bad game but I never really felt that I was able to get a handle on it. Your mileage may vary.

5. pupsikaso says:

Expansion? When did the game come out? Feels like I only heard the announcement of the game being made just recently, and now it’s already expansion?
    And what happened to A Valley Without Wind 2?

• KDR_11k says:

Valley 2 came out a while ago. Skyward Collapse was released a few months ago but never got reviews or WITs from most websites, probably due to the Steam Sale.

• frightlever says:

” but never got reviews or WITs from most websites, probably due to the Steam Sale.”

Possibly also because of the old adage, “if you can’t say something nice about somebody then better off saying nothing at all”. A lot of gaming professionals seem to like the Arcen guys. If it was a good game it’d get good reviews. It has a Metacritic… hey, quit booing!… it has a Metacritic review score in the low 60s with only 5 “professional” reviews, and one of those is a 90. Definitely a marmite game.

• Film11 says:

Worth nothing that this is an Arcen expansion, i.e. huge patch available for all then extra content buyable for £2-3. They come thick and fast and the next AI War expansion is out soon as well.

6. qrter says:

RPS commenting on other people’s grammar – now that seems like dangerous sentence programming to me..! Besides, I see two sentences with a colon each.

• DrollRemark says:

The first one has two; one should really be a semi-colon though.

• frightlever says:

Grammar Monster (!) says the “colon” is correct.

You’d use a comma for a short quotation and the colon for a longer one. There is no mention of a semicolon at all.

The real question is whether it’s semi-colon or semicolon. I checked wikipedia and while there is absolutely NO mention of an alternate spelling for semicolon, “semi-colon” is still used five times during the article, compared to 65 times for “semicolon”. I found that quite amusing, then instantly became deathly depressed because when I was running through the churned mud and rubble field that was our street after Hitler’s bombing razed it, rattling along an empty tin with my sister’s broken hockey stick, I never imagined a future where I’d be interested in grammar.

7. Kefren says:

Lovely music, is that in the game? There is something more sexual than violent about the attack moves though. (In out, in out, bang bang).

Comment on this story