Treely Magic: Arcane Worlds

By Craig Pearson on September 24th, 2013 at 6:00 pm.

It’s amazing the difference one change can make. The last time I peeked into the rug-ged world of Arcane Worlds, a game basically built out of memories of Magic Carpet, it didn’t have trees. It was just a barren world beneath a burning sun that you could flood or crack open with spells. That was kind of enough to give me a few hours of fun, though. The latest update, that coincides with it attempting to break through the outer crust of Steam Greenlight, is available to download, and I noticed the worlds are created with a layer of foliage. So I reinstalled it.

There’s still not a lot of game in there, yet. Just the tech and the world, and straggly, unconnected bits of the end-game in place. You can generate lands and fly around, prodding at the land and seeing the results of the world breaking spells, or fighting the arrow-like dragons. Like the last time, I found flooding the plains was an entirely pleasant procedure: watching the waves spreading out and inter mingling in the choppy waters in front of a dipping sun is a pretty good way to spend an hour. But you can now open portals to other world and hop on through. Eventually the changes you in each will ripple across the whole game, but right now they’re discrete places to just visit.

The trees are lovely.

Even if Arcane Worlds only ever copied Magic Carpet, that would be enough for some people to be excited about it. Billy from Neighbors would definitely buy it, and John would make a face. It does a really good job of reminding us of Molyneux’s rug-based adventure game, down to the way the base is extruded from the ground, but it already looks like there’s more to it than that.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Shuck says:

If they’re truly making a “spiritual successor” to Magic Carpet, it’ll need to have Oculus Rift support. It was Magic Carpet’s support for the first commercial VR systems intended for games that made it really special.

• Jimbo says:

The carpet being magical was pretty special.

• Henke says:

Agreed 100%. What if it had just been a regular carpet instead? The game would’ve had to been called Regular Carpet, and probably not as much fun.

• The Random One says:

Or would it, asks Peter Molyneux, and then he cries.

• e-dog says:

Yeah, I find it fun there’s a new VR helmet now :) But I’m not rich enough to get Oculus Rift so I can support it in my game.

• Shuck says:

Well, maybe after the game sells well, it can get patched in. ;)

• pupsikaso says:

Uhm, I had absolutely no idea the thing ever supported any kind of VR helmets at the time. The game was special enough without it.

• Alien426 says:

Magic Carpet was one of the first games to support 3D viewers/glasses in many different configurations. You can use virtual reality headsets, red/blue glasses… the program will even generate a realtime random dot stereogram!

MobyGames

2. disperse says:

It looks Black and White inspired which could be a good thing. Black and White was the game I really, really, wanted to like but was needlessly hampered by the Worst Controls and a terrible RTS game.

3. Wahngrok says:

Thanks for reminding me. Somehow I seem to have missed the last seven updates. ;)

4. The Random One says:

I’ll check this out for sure, the tech demo was a blast.

5. Sepiroth12 says:

Heyho found a Key Lottery for Arcane Worlds under Shumbok on Facebook, ive someone wanna take Part it runs for 2 more Days under : http://www.Facebook.com/Shumbok (It’s a German Page)