Kingdom Come Promises ‘A Different Kind Of RPG’

By Nathan Grayson on December 19th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

'Tis truly a glorious day to gaze down from the smoky hill of perfectly innocent naps.

A hyper-detailed historical RPG from the main folks behind Mafia? Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes.

Ahem. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a nonlinear role-player set in the dying days of the Holy Roman Empire, and it features precisely zero monsters, magic, or mythical overtones. Instead, the focus is on accuracy, and who better to head up that effort than the former director of Mafia and Mafia II? Developer Warhorse is made up of vets from 2K Czech and Arma powerhouse Bohemia, so expect obsessive attention to detail. Sadly (and somewhat paradoxically) insubstantial teaser trailer below.

Despite a relative lack of information, there’s incredible promise here. The pedigree alone takes me back to my days of languidly drifting down Mafia II’s snow-speckled highways, breathing in the smoggy, foggy life of the setting (this despite the fact that the game itself was only sort of decent), and the prospect of a non-fantasy open-world medieval RPG has me chomping at the bit.

Kotaku thrust its noble hands into the murky depths of game development, and it emerged with a bit more info. Here are the key takeaways:

“As players traverse expansive, strikingly detailed locales, they’ll grapple with a range of period- accurate fighting techniques, horseback combat, open-field sieges, and large-scale battles, all while developing relationships and a reputation that will inform the greater story. Kingdom Come: Deliverance promises no magic, high fantasy or mythical overtones – it draws its inspiration instead from historically authentic characters, themes, and warfare.”

Combat, meanwhile, will apparently be first-person and “revolutionary” in some form or fashion. Maybe your knight will have three arms instead of two. Or perhaps he’ll be some kind of million-perspective-endowed fly mutant. The possibilities are endless.

Kingdom Come is set to (kingdom) come out in 2015, which is painfully long from now. The game’s been in development for a year-and-a-half, so there’s a decent amount of meat on its bones already. But then, this is clearly an undertaking of colossal ambition, so Warhorse can take all the time it needs. They have my permission, which is clearly something they would care about for some reason.

, , , , .

1. Bloodoflamb says:

I don’t really have any desire to play this game, but I DO want them to remove the silly subtitle. Kingdom Come is a fine name on its own.

• Darth Grabass says:

I was thinking it’s a lousy title all around, since Kingdom Come is already the title of a Ridley Scott film set during the Crusades (edit: Wait, no it’s not. I’m stupid. Kingdom of Heaven! Ignore me.) and Deliverance is the title of a John Boorman film that always makes people think of Ned Beatty getting raped by hillbillies.

But I definitely want to play it.

• Tiberius says:

Lo and behold, it shall be retitled Kingdom Come: Revengeance!

2. sPOONz says:

Ohhh, this could be the Darklands 3D game I wish existed.

• CaidKean says:

How so? Darklands had magical and mythical elements in it, something this game explicitly promises not to have.

• bill says:

But it was much more closely based on European history than most RPGs.

3. Jimbo says:

Kingdom Came.

4. Turkey says:

*Camera slowly pans up to reveal an Independece Day sized ufo hovering above the battlefield*

5. vedder says:

I mostly agree with the “Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes”-part. Because yes.

6. Aikei says:

I would actually prefer a game set in the dying days of Roman Empire proper.

• Jimbo says:

Tough!

• The Random One says:

I, too. That historical era is essentially real-world low fantasy, and also has a post apocalyptic feel (in the sense that a mighty empire with advanced technology has destroyed itself through war and although pieces of its infrastructure still dot the landscape their use is largely forgotten and everyone is hauling shit to survive).

• USER47 says:

You can try Age of Decadence meanwhile. It is a fictional setting, true, but heavily inspired by the fall of Roman Empire:). And it is an outstanding game.

• vedder says:

Much agreed

• SillyWizard says:

Late 18th-/early-19th century Europe is a great time/place to finally see a low-fantasy RPG. So much stuff going on, so much room to explore.

A declining-Roman- (or Byzantine-) Empire game would be fun, too, sure. But this…! This is something that will ( or at least should) be quite different than anything else.

EDIT – Okay so apparently it’s going to be a totally different time period. Still! Should be interesting.

• Kubrick Stare Nun says:

Ever tried Ryse and Shadow of Rome?

7. Jomini says:

“set in the dying days of the Holy Roman Empire”

Actually the game appears to be set somewhat before the wars of Revolutionary and Napoleonic France.

• Aikei says:

I think Holy Roman Empire existed up until Bismarck reunification, so I don’t see where’s the problem.

• Jomini says:

It was disbanded in 1806, and already lost much of its remaining inner integrity with the Peace of Westphalia in 1648 but the game is obviously set in the Middle Ages which where if anything its heydays.

• bstard says:

The HRE had one certainty: next emperor would have a less centralized and stable empire as the one before. If the king of Germany even bothered to get that symbolic crown in Rome. Real history aint CK2, luckily ;)

• mouton says:

I don’t know, the whole Europe speaking German wouldn’t be that bad.

• USER47 says:

It is set in this period:

Geographicaly probably in the area of current Czech Republic.

• Aikei says:

If this is true, then this text is certainly misleading since Holy Roman Empire existed about 400 years after that, so it’s hard to call it its dying days.

• USER47 says:

Well, I don’t know if they changed it or not, but the initial idea behind the game was always presented as the RPG set during the hussites wars:).

• sirax says:

On Kotaku it says “On the last days of the middle ages” which make a lot more sense.

• Jimbo says:

It says 1403 right there in the game logo.

• Aramel says:

They probably mean “post Golden Bull decree” which is when the HRE started to become decentralized and individual member states gained more power.

• USER47 says:

I think the “dying days of the Holy Roman Empire” thing is more or less Nathan’s misinterpretation of what has been written in Kotaku article.

With all respect to him, I wouldn’t expect him to know much about Golden Bull of Sicily and related stuff. As far as I know, medieval european history isn’t the hottest topic in american schools:).

• Universal Quitter says:

They tend to focus on the impacts of what happened immediately after the middle ages. I wonder why that would be?

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

I reckon there’s going to be plenty of dying either way.

8. misterT0AST says:

Sounds like Mount and Blade,
    That gritty medieval violence in flashy colours, over dark backgrounds, and those animations, remind me a lot of the art style of Age of Empires 2. Only, you know, in the Cry engine. I want the characters to speak in text bubbles, with AoE2 unit sounds as voice, like in Banjo Kazooie
    But with these sounds

Koosha Schmiffer!

• USER47 says:

I don’t think the Mount and Blade comparison is accurate. You are not the first one to mention it, but remember, Dan Vávra loves to tell the stories. He wrote and designed Mafia, which is as far from M&B as you can get. Mount and Blade is somewhat sterile strategy/battlesim hybrid, without actual story or anything like it. This will certainly be much more focused on its narative.

• dethtoll says:

Let’s hope it’s not an actual narrative disaster like Mafia 1 was.

• USER47 says:

I wouldn’t exactly describe Mafia as a “narrative disaster”, but there certainly some things that could be written/designed better. But then again, it was Vávra’s second game, and the first one where he had major position (he did some texts for Hidden and Dangerous before Mafia).

9. LVX156 says:

Finally! I’ve never been able to stand the whole fantasy thing; even as a kid I thought it was terribly generic and bland. This is what I’ve been waiting for.

10. N'Al says:

Pffft, realism. I want the combat from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

• SimulatedMan says:

That already exists. It is called “Die by the sword”

• Dogsbody says:

I still have that CD. I wonder if I could get it working in Win 7…

• mouton says:

You would need a working optical drive for that. I haven’t seen one for a while now.

11. Geebs says:

Will it feature Nolan North taking to Nolan North about Nolan North?

(And collectible engravings of wenches)

12. SanguineAngel says:

*squee*

I tried typing up some thoughts but I was just took excited about too many things here.

13. Keyrock says:

Mount & Blade with perrrtier graphics and an actual story? Sign me up.

14. Whither says:

So basically it’s Mount & Blade but made by non-amateurs?

15. Sidewinder says:

So it’s Mount & Blade meets Darklands?

That’s about as “different” as pre-sliced bread, but that doesn’t mean it won’t be wonderful.

16. mehteh says:

If this is being made for consoles too then forget it. Im tired of console focus games and their dumbed-down nature.

17. Wizardry says:

Most likely an action game if it has a first person perspective, although it could surprise me with Wizardry style combat.

But anyway, Darklands meets Mount & Blade could be interesting, even if not an RPG.

18. Reapy says:

Warhorse Blog – Some more info here. I remember reading this a while ago but not sure where this was going, but I guess here we are. Hopefully will work out to be something interesting, non magic medieval settings are pretty rare in gaming.

19. twincast says:

Sweet.

I mean, I do actually like medieval fantasy (although I’d prefer races’ portrayals be closer to actual mythology than D&D), but if they can actually portray the period correctly? Swoon.

Yet another reason to upgrade my PC. Love it. :D

20. manny says:

Title is stupid and a mouthful.

RPG + revolutionary combat simulator with the cryengine?

Seems like they are hopelessly over their heads Mafia X2. My advice is to keep it very short (10 hours gameplay) otherwise it will suck.

RedViv says:

I guess they better scrap all their plans if the almighty manny off of the RPS comments says so.

Bluerps says:

Interesting!

22. Solidstate89 says:

I never played the original Mafia, but I enjoyed the hell out of Mafia II. Even with the city not feeling quite as “alive” as I would have liked, the actual game I thought was magnificent. Especially the sound assets. The tommy gun and the shotgun in particular were so well done.

Count me as being excited.

23. krtecek007 says:

re historic setting – generaly it should be from this period – http://goo.gl/VZvg2 – and what i remember from school it was really bloody one

and of course there is more info on their blog

go! go! go!

elderman says:

The quotation at the beginning of the video made me smile:
    “It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves”

Most of the time, Shakespeare should be badly misquoted. We don’t need such vivid, poetic language for daily life. Kingdom Come certainly doesn’t need real Shakespeare, just a nonsense phrase that sounds important.

When would it be appropriate to quote the original phrase, without cutting it up or making it mean something new?

CASSIUS
    …Men at some time are masters of their fates:
    The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars,
    But in ourselves, that we are underlings.

And I’m sorry to be snooty, because the game isn’t being made for me, and it really is hard to quote Shakespeare well, and it’s just an advert… but the mis-quote doesn’t do much to inspire confidence if one of the main design goals is accuracy.

• rockman29 says:

Maybe the quote is designed to reflect the opportunity/destiny of the developers themselves? Not what is happening in the game, for historical accuracy.

Appreciate the input though, I do love me some bad (good) ol’ English.

25. rockman29 says:

What? When did this happen?

Looks awesome! :)

26. Lanfranc says:

“A hyper-detailed historical RPG…”

We shall examine this claim when the time comes – and judge it harshly. >:-|

• TillEulenspiegel says:

If they don’t include a bibliography in the manual, they won’t have met the standards of Darklands. It’s not the easiest setting to research, though, and you do have to take some liberties filling in the blanks about unknown details.

• Lanfranc says:

Yes – however, that is a procedure that should only be attempted by a fully qualified and experienced historian, operating in a strictly clinical environment. So many things can go wrong.

27. Stevostin says:

Your’re a bit harsh with Mafia II. To me it ended up a joyful experience. The idea of seing the city evolve was quite fantastic. Gameplay of gta like but better overall than the original, especially combat. The art & technic were excellent. Good writing, good main character.

A realstic RPG, neat, but I hope it’s 1st person view all along. I can get 3rd view combat and 1st person view exploration, but the opposite would be quite nonsensical. Of course 1st person all along is the best if your main focus is on experience/immersion.

28. Shooop says:

After Chivalry promised first-person medieval sword fighting and failed so horribly I think it belongs in the same landfill next to Atari’s ET I’m less than enthusiastic for any more games centered around it.

• Ingall says:

Chivalry seems to be one of those love or hate games. What was it that failed in your opinion?

29. Paul says:

Mafia 1 was one of the best games ever made. Mafia 2 was extremely enjoyable, if a bit worse than the first one. Operation Flashpoint is also one of the best games ever made.
    So yes. I want this. Now. Give it to me.

30. Voronwer says:

Man. They had me. They so had me… and then it turns out to be first-person. *slinks off*

31. undr337 says:

John`s blurb is cool, I just bought a gorgeous Subaru Impreza from earning $5396 thiss month and would you believe, $10k this past munth. this is certainly the best work I have ever had. I started this four months/ago and pretty much straight away made myself at least $79, per-hour. more information http://ho.io/Freelance

32. ShinySpoons says:

I discovered this about a year or two ago and couldn’t remember the name of the studio. I was trying to find some updates on how the game development was going but couldn’t due to aforementioned memory loss. Thus, I had hoped RPS would someday feature it and remember it for me. My faith was fully justified.

I fully suggest checking out the slight bit of combat video someone posted. Its what sold me on this game.

33. frenz0rz says:

Just over a year and a half ago, RPS asked us what our ‘dream’ game would be, and I replied detailing something extremely similar to this.

Conspiracy? Perhaps.

Awesome? Yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes yes

34. aerohavok says:

Do we have a new Mount and Blade here?????

maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe maybe

35. Thatich73 says:

my buddy’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer. She has been unemployed for ten months but last month her pay check was $19463 just working on the computer for a few hours. hop over to this web-site►●►●►●►

36. ExpendablePanda says:

Sounds pretty awesome. But then a lot of stuff ‘sounds’ awesome. So we’ll have to see.

37. MachineCode says:

Oh my god my body is ready. Very ready for this, All extremities crossed in the hopes this game lives up to the potential of its concept and the pedigree behind it. Perhaps The Wither 3 now finally has a rival.

38. Beefeater1980 says:

I’m assuming “Kingdom Come” and “Deliverance”, both of which are overtly religious, are there to ground it in the European religious wars of the 16th-17th centuries. It’s a really fascinating period with an interesting aesthetic, which Games Workshop plundered liberally to build the Empire faction in Warhammer Fantasy.

Things I’m hoping for, without regard to specific dates: (1) Landsknechts with silly outfits (2) Hussite war wagons (3) Polish winged hussars.

• Malawi Frontier Guard says:

The date is actually in the logo: 1403. So, pre-Hussite Wars during the reign of a fairly weak king. Sounds fitting for a free-roaming game, I’d say.

I would enjoy a Landsknecht game, though.

39. redredredguy says:

I think there is earlier gameplay at the end of this trailer.