Merry Christmas Readers! The Complete 2013 Calendar

By RPS on December 24th, 2013 at 12:00 pm.

Lovingly drawn by the hand of Walker

And there it is. Our top 24 games of 2013, tucked behind Horace’s mighty doors. Click on any of the doors above to see what lay beyond, and then tell us in the comments here why we’re all so stupid, ugly and wrong. Or wish us a merry season! See below for what’s happening over the next couple of weeks.

1. Don’t Starve
19. Europa Universalis
20. The Stanley Parable
21. Saints Row IV
22. Teleglitch
23. Gone Home
24. Kentucky Route Zero

Don’t worry if a game you loved hasn’t appeared. 2013 was an amazing year for so many fascinating, superb games – certainly more than 24 of them – and our Leftovers articles will be celebrating a bunch more over the next couple of days.

RPS will go into its annual slumbery mode from now, but don’t stop visiting! We’ll have stuff up every day, with the aforementioned Leftovers, some Best Ofs and bits and pieces, and come the New Year, our giganto-mega-preview of 2014.

Thanks for being with us for 2013. It’s been RPS’s biggest year, with more writers, more posts, more features, and more readers than ever before. And we love each and every one of you. Even those who hate us. DEAL WITH OUR LOVE, HATERS. 2014′s going to be amazing. We have massive plans for making RPS more lovely than ever before, which we’re so excited to be able to reveal. And PC gaming is just bloody on fire right now – it’s going to be such an incredible year for PC games, and we can’t wait to share it all with you. Merry Everythings, and may Horace’s endlessness be with you.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. the_leveller says:

Horace bless us, every one!

• LionsPhil says:

Can he dispense blessings from along his entire length? Because if so, he could probably do that quite quickly.

(Merry Christmas!)

• Darloth says:

The above picture certainly implies he can dispense -presents- from along his entire length… They’re a form of blessing, in many cultures.

• therea244 says:

Teresa`s st0ry is really great… on wednesday I bought a great new Bugatti Veyron from having made $7631 this – five weeks past and-even more than, ten grand this past-month. without a doubt its the most financially rewarding I have ever had. I actually started three months/ago and right away started earning more than $76… per/hr. see page http://Buzz95.com

• Cara Ellison says:

Ye Horace kin I wish you the merriest of Christmasses. Your list is the utmostest superior.

• Yessund says:

my classmate’s mom makes $79 an hour on the computer. She has been fired for 8 months but last month her income was $12033 just working on the computer for a few hours. check here,,,,,,

• Keing1968 says:

my classmate’s mom makes $65 an hour on the internet. She has been without a job for eight months but last month her income was $15832 just working on the internet for a few hours. view website,,,,

2. Lexx87 says:

Merry Christmas super lovely RPS team!

Especially for John and Alec for all their rubbish life problems, may 2014 bring babies and a better life!

• AngelTear says:

*CYNICISM TRIGGER*

I fail to see how 2014 could bring both babies AND a better life at the same time without hax or majicks, for which it could very well be perma-banned by VAC.

/cynicism

• Shadowcat says:

SUSD Supercomputer, is that you?

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Loving the SUSD – RPS readership crossover.

• The Godzilla Hunter says:

As far as I am concerned, SUSD is merely a spin-off show of RPS.

Started off occasionally getting links from the main show? Check
          One prominent cast member leaves to form a new group? Check
          A similar, but not quite the same, premise? Check

• Shadowcat says:

So what you’re saying is that RPS is SUSD’s reference peer?

• wikipeetia says:

Don’t be such a grumplehex.

3. Anthile says:

And a Merry Saturnalia to everyone who reads this from a parallel universe where the Roman Empire is still going strong.

4. daphne says:

Again, thank you for doing justice to KRZ. It is a significant work — and a work of art, in it’s unique literary-theatrical ways. I feel privileged to have witnessed its like, and I hope it makes the list again next year.

• caff says:

Agree totally, KRZ deserves it and all the new players that will pick it up as a result of RPS.

Merry Christmas, all!

I’ve decided to subscribe to RPS :-)

5. tumbleworld says:

You’re bringing Richard Cobbett on staff? Tell us you’re bringing Richard Cobbett on staff! :)

Happy Christmas!

• LionsPhil says:

Oh so very much this.

(For one thing, it’d stop me repeatedly forgetting to read his Crapshoots because they’re off on some other website over there.)

• LionsPhil says:

I mean you’ve got to love him for things like this:

It could even be argued that Bouncing Babies was the first victim of the anti-intellectual campaign of the 80s and early 90s… that dark age in which games were seen and judged on their own merits, like whether they were ‘fun’ or not, not on how many words could be wheezed out by pretentious windbags desperate to prove that their fun is better than everyone else’s because they own a thesaurus.

…miiiiight come to blows with the rest of the RPS staff at times.

• The Random One says:

Well, if there’s one thing RPS is sorely missing, it’s impromptu boxing matches.

• RSeldon says:

Hahaha, thank you so much for that link. I remember my mum laughing about that game when I was a wee little baby myself. (In hindsight, she was probably fantasizing about letting me go splat during some of the, er, louder and more insomniac phases of my early childhood. =P) I’m pretty sure she will get a kick out of that essay.

• Bart Stewart says:

Slightly tangential, but the best thing for me about Bouncing Babies was using it for a benchmarking program for every time a new CPU was released.

By the time the Pentium came out, a string of babies would be ejected at warp speed in a fraction of a second. Its absolute unplayability made me laugh like a lunatic every single time.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Plus one.

• StranaMente says:

I approve of Richard too, failing that I found Graham Smith much pleasing too.

• colossalstrikepackage says:

Very much agree.

• Faldrath says:

Yep, add Richard and Cara and the hivemind will finally be complete!

• Hordriss says:

This! Please let this happen! One of my favourite gaming writers.

• captain nemo says:

Merry Christmas RPS. Keep your enthusiasm, don’t give in to haters, and give us Mr Cobbett in a Santa hat next year :)

6. d00d3n says:

I guess Metro: Last Light needed more comedy writing to be considered for this goty list. I hope 4A Games takes note of their mistake and introduces a comedy sidekick (mutated funny dog?) in their next game asap.

• AngelTear says:

What makes you say that? Besides The Stanley parable and Saints Row 4 (maybe Monaco?), none of the games in the calendar were “funny” in the sense of comedy fun, and some were just the opposite, tragic (Gone Home, Brothers, KRZ).

I think Metro Last Light wasn’t included because despite being an overall solid product, it didn’t have anything that felt special enough to make it. It lacked that something that turns good into memorable.

• d00d3n says:

I was just making some suggestions for 4A games on how to optimize their future goty list placements. For example, Valve released an inferior sequel to one of the best first person games ever made in 2011. Everything about the sequel was watered down, reigned in and less fun compared with the previous game. To my surprise, gaming journalists were gushing praise over this inferior sequel, this clear disappointment, because Valve had introduced a passingly funny sidekick who made a couple of lame jokes at the beginning and at the end of each level. This appreciation for “comedy games” has only grown after Portal 2, with mediocre titles such as Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV ending up on GOTY lists because of their contributions to comedy.

So in the case of Metro: Last Light, 4A games obviously wasted their time in trying to develop the subtle mechanics of what makes a first person shooter great. For example their great efforts to create interesting optional areas (for example: rape situation, deviating tunnels in the railcar section). Or their efforts to give a sense of freedom even when you are following a linear path (sparse use of mission markers, labyrinthine underground communities such as the naizi outpost, airy linear outdoor areas such as the bridge). Or the efforts to give the player tactical freedom in every encounter against humans, including levels which are actually designed to be solvable with multiple playing styles. Or the addictive meta-game of looting guns, looking for rare guns in obscure places and modifying them with a wide range of modifications. Or the impeccable pacing of the game, where a tactical section against humans is followed by a horror section where vicious spiders are trying to eat your brains, which is followed by additional downtime taking in the beautiful sights of the post apocalyptic Moscow, which is followed by psychotic hallucinations, and where the section finally ends with an overwhelming mutant ambush and a desperate escape to closest metro station. None of this really matters of course, because the shit is not memorable. You need some comedy or some obscure indie wackiness to be memorable.

• The Random One says:

Well, I’m not going to argue, since claiming that SR3rd and SRIV are mediocre and were only considered good because they were funny is probably the best bit of comedy I’ve read this year, so you clearly know what you’re talking about.

• TimePointFive says:

Actually, he does. The mechanics of the SR games are piss-poor. Doesn’t mean you’re not allowed to enjoy them, but to pretend the shooting, physics, driving, AI, open world are anything other than playstation 2 worthy is indeed laughable.

• The Random One says:

I am currently playing through Blood. To imply that a game is bad because it feels older than it is is, indeed, laughable.

• Emeraude says:

I don’t know about SR4, but while I found it perfectly enjoyable as a form of virtual toy, I would also say that SR3 proved to be really lacking from a game-design standpoint.

@d00d3n:

I think in the case of SR3, what happens is that the comedy partially hides, and partially justifies how nonsensical its game mechanics happen to be. Which is a good thing and works to its advantage. But a trick that cannot be pulled too often, for risk of growing stale and too obviously apparent.
            Contrast with the Stanley Parable, where the humor is just a tonal choice for what happens to be more a commentary on mechanical aspects of gaming, in voluntarily limited gaming form.

• NyuBomber says:

Why not just straight-up say “I feel that you’ve made a significant omission for your list by not including Metro: Last Light, and here’s why…” instead of “I’m going to be incredibly passive-aggressive about my disagreement with this opinion list by simultaneously tearing down both the tastes of the writers and the qualities of other games on the list?”

• kwyjibo says:

That’s kind of bullshit though isn’t it?

Portal 2 is not seen as the better campaign. It’s solutions felt too prescribed, you click on the white wall instead of organically intuiting the solution. Portal 2′s comedy elements did not have the immediate impact, or persistence of the original’s Cake is a Lie and Companion Cube. If you feel that Portal 2 has been given undue praise, that praise has come from the co-op and Steam workshop integration.

I do think games are trying harder to tackle comedy again. The Stanley Parable has clearly done well out of it, GTA has always had it, Double Fine’s increasing output and 90s comedy adventure Kickstarters are doing their part. It’s still quite hard to do well, Xbox One’s LocoCycle seems to have fallen on its fucking face according to the Edge review.

I’ve not played Last Light, I’ve still yet to play the original (which I have on my Steam backlog), but I did play STALKER. It was unrelenting, and while that’s what the developers obviously wanted, I think moments of levity could have improved the experience.

• kdz says:

I didn’t think that Portal 2 was inferior to Portal. Even more: I loved it specifically because of its deeper story. Sure, it was full of humor, but Portal 1 was, I thought, JUST humour, while the sequel used jokes and quips and craziness to tell a more meaningful story.
          I didn’t play a lot of games this year so I don’t have a personal favourite that didn’t appear on the list (I loved The Wolf Among Us with every fiber of my being but I agree it’s too early to include it on the list), but I hope next year you will find your favourite behind one of Horace’s doors :)

• HothMonster says:

Grrr Argh! Bah Humbug!

• quietone says:

Thanks for your insight, Mr.Grinch, now back to the studio.

• Stephen Roberts says:

I’m with you on the Portal 2 stuff. People seem to like it a lot more than Portal despite the fact that it’s gushing and desperate where Portal was confident and understated. Portal 2 ain’t got no class, son. I even encountered invisible walls, which is fucking heinous.

But on the flip side, I don’t really feel like a PC gamer any more. This christmas year list features maybe four games that I recognise the name of. I think I should probably give each game on the list a decent go to see what the fuss is all about.

7. Alexander says:

“We have massive plans for making RPS more lovely than ever before”

I hope this doesn’t mean RPS is going full corporate just for the sake of growth.

Merry whatever-everyone-is-celebrating.

• LionsPhil says:

Maybe they’re going to fix the comment system. Yes.

• MrStones says:

Ohhh maybe they’re setting up the spambot betting syndicate. My moneys on “Aunt”, “€84/ph” and a “Fiat uno”,

Any takers?

• The Random One says:

I think even a random number generator would avoid presenting a Fiat Uno as something desirable.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I make 0 dollars/hour “working” at home by googling hot celebrities. My first month I made a whole 0 dollars and was able to buy a brand new diddly squat. It’s the most “satisfying” job I’ve ever had.

• buzzmong says:

Hopefully it’ll mean they redesign the site again and get rid of this silly left aligned thing we’ve got now.

• John Walker says:

Key word in that phrase: “lovely”. Why on Earth would us lot want to be more corporate?

• mpk says:

‘Lovely’ is corporate shorthand for Rebooting the Synergistic Visualisation of your company’s Web-based Stockholder Interface Mechanism to Upsize Click Ratios while Downsizing Customer Read Time, which is an entirely superfluous and outdated legacy of the days when content was more important than advertising.

Isn’t it?

• HothMonster says:

They are adding subscription fees. It was determined to be a “good idea” after it was discovered that being a website is DRM and this comment section is actually an MMO.

• LionsPhil says:

They’re behind the curve, then. They need to be going F2P with micropayments to dress up our avatars with hats.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

They already have (optional) subscription fees, and have so for years: $2/mo http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/supportrps/

• Universal Quitter says:

Wow, I never noticed that. RPS’s ads have often slowed my browser down for some reason, but I feel terrible using adblockers on any site that I actually enjoy using, since that costs them revenue. Ooh, I see they even have a one-time donation option.

Now I have a way that I can block ads completely guilt free, so thank you, seriously. Now I just gotta go see how much I can afford for now.

• grimdanfango says:

Indeed, RPS should make that option a little clearer. I only just realised it existed, and being such a fantastic a site, I’m more than happy to donate $2 a month in place of seeing ads. It still works out way cheaper than my ol’ PCZone subscription did before they went under.

…there, subscription created.

I’d suggest just a little “Don’t like ads? Consider a donation!” at the top of the page.

8. Bluerps says:

Merry christmas and a happy new year, RPS people! Thank you for showing us all of these lovely games!

No, seriously – you showed me so many great games I am sure I would have missed, or never tried, without your writing, and I thank you for that.

9. Life Glug says:

Thank you, RPS, for an interesting list. I will certainly check out the top 5, along with many others. My Steam wish-list is bulging. The Stanley Parable and Papers Please particularly interest me.
    The only game on the list I have actually played is The Swapper, which is brilliant. That was due to a well-written review on this site. I tend to play most games tat least a year after they come out, currently on Dishonored.
    I check RPS every day but I hardly ever comment, so Merry Christmas to you all and I wish you continued success in the new year.

• Nixitur says:

Well, “Top 5″ isn’t really the correct term as the games on the calendar are in no particular order except for number 24 being RPS’ Game Of The Year.

• Vinraith says:

At some point they changed that policy, as John explicitly pointed out in an earlier thread that the top 5 or 6 games were their top 5 or 6, though in no particular order, and 24 was of course still the GotY.

• Life Glug says:

OK, 20-24 then! :)

Merry Christmas to pedants everywhere.

10. pilouuuu says:

I am glad that Bioshock Infinite Disappointment didn’t make it!

Merry Christmas everyone, including Mr. Ken Levine. Hopefully the Saturnalia ghosts will visit you and inspire you to create the masterpiece we’re expecting for gaming. And thank you RPS for everything.

Enjoy your time!

• LionsPhil says:

Having finished Dishonored yesterday (not yet the DLC), I think Arkane are better on-track for that. Harvey Smith has made amends for Invisible War and then some in my book.

• subedii says:

A little surprised to be honest.

I don’t disagree with it not being on there, just surprised I’m not seeing it in as prominent position in listings as I thought I would, given the endless gushing “GAME OF ALL YEARS EVER!” praise it was lavished with on launch. Reminds me a bit of Darksiders II in that respect. Lauded heavily on release, come end of the year there was an appreciation that no, it might not have gotten everything as right as first posted.

Although realistically, the vast majority of the list reads more like a who’s-who of indie games. Certainly gives me a few titles to look through that I previously ignored because I was XCOMing so much XCOM as soon as it XCOMed.

• drewski says:

Maybe it’s just the writers I follow on Twitter, but I felt after the huge backlash from about a month after it was released that it would be surprising to see it on any GotY lists. The initial reception was strong, but the criticism was even stronger.

I never got the feeling anyone from RPS liked it much, either.

• subedii says:

I don’t really follow this stuff on twitter, so that could be why. All I remember was the huge amount of praise it received on launch with regards to its exceptional characters and storyline and things.

Although I think what irritated me about Infinite wasn’t the praise, it was the almost complete unwillingness of the mainstream gaming press to address, or even mention, the game’s clear issues (aside from RPS, which at least tried to draw attention to them without spoiling things). And things like the combat design were evident right from the start.

It just re-affirmed to me that the vast majority of game reviews are plainly group-think, and the super early reviews are more often than not tinged with the promise of what the upcoming game suggested and hyped about, rather than how it actually ended up.

• Ninja Foodstuff says:

And yet assassins creed 4 made the cut. I really have to look at this list with disbelief

11. FurryLippedSquid says:

Meanwhile anarchy reigns over at EG as they pick Candy Crush Saga as one of their games of the year.

• AngelTear says:

I had to go there and see it with my own eyes to believe it. And writing the article is Ellie Gibson, one of my favorite game journos outside of RPS.

I’m appalled. My words will return in 30 minutes, unless I’m willing to pay a microtransaction.

• Stardreamer says:

I, too, had to go and see the horror for myself. My verdict?

Thank fuck for RPS.

• Hillbert says:

Why not? It’s a massively popular, well designed game which can be completed without spending a penny. If it was released like a popcap game people would be falling over themselves to praise it.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

I have no opinion, I was merely bringing the news.

• TWChristine says:

I actually have to agree, and I thought the EG article actually made some very good points on its behalf. I myself have never played it, but my wife plays it ALL the time (“I thought you were tired?” “Yea, but I have to play a round of CC before I can fall asleep..it’s my thing.”). I myself figured it was just another Bejewled knock-off but after watching her play I agree with the article in that while it has similarities, there is more of a puzzle behind the levels.

• Jalan says:

Deeming Candy Crush Saga “well designed” when a majority of the levels aren’t universally fun when compared to the likes of a PopCap release (or a pre-EA acquired PopCap release, at least) seems batty.

12. Walsh says:

How can a game with a metacritic score of 81 be the GOTY?

*ducks

13. DiamondDog says:

Congratulations to Don’t Starve for taking the No. 1 spot!

14. Cytrom says:

While i don’t think Binfinite was revolutionary (despite you playing a key role in starting one in the game.. which is not a too common occurence in games, nor is the multiverse theory playing a major role in a game’s story), or better than its predecessors because of its restricted and simple gameplay (yet entirely functional), but the art, the story, the mysteries you uncover throughout the game, and the whole tightly polished together package would definitely warrant it at least a nomination for the top spots. Easily in the top 3 AAA games of the year, and definitely a more valuable entity than half of the artsy-fartsy made-in-a-weekend indie games populating half of the list. 2012 was definitely a lot stronger year in the AAA segment though.

15. Prolar Bear says:

Merry Horace Festivities, people!

16. Faldrath says:

Merry Horacesomethingsomething for all of you at RPS! Keep fighting the good fight :)

(but now, since you did ask us to point out where you went wrong, I do hope that in 2014 one of you will take a deep, long look at Path of Exile. It’s the indie success story of the year and it went largely unnoticed by RPS, which is a shame)

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Maybe they did, but their article(s) included the D-word and the website prevented it being posted.

17. Stellar Duck says:

Thanks for a brilliant year, all you lovely people on RPS, be you regular staff or less regular, but equally brilliant people like Graham Smith, Cara Ellison, Tim Stone and Richard Cobbett! I’ve forgotten some, I’m sure, and I’m sorry about that!

It’s been a great year and I’ve read any number of fascinating articles, thoughts and laments. I look forward to next year.

I want to thank John in particular for his tireless stand against misogyny and arseholery. I’ve been happy to read each and every one of your posts.

• Gap Gen says:

This!

• John Walker says:

Thank you – that’s much appreciated.

• Stellar Duck says:

John, you really don’t need to thank me. Just tell Nick that he’s a bit of a bore sometimes. :P

And then keep at it!

• RSeldon says:

Yes to all of this.

• Pace says:

Yes again to all of this. Thanks and Merry Christmas RPS!

• Durkonkell says:

AGREEMENT LEVEL MAXIMUM.

AGREEMENT OVER LIMIT! AGREEMENT LEAK DETECTED!

• ramirezfm says:

Yes this. All the best in new year. Love you RPS! You all are the bestest! Keep it up.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Couldn’t agree more.

• Hordriss says:

Couldn’t have put it better myself – cheers RPS, thanks for another year of awesome writing.

• Coon1946 says:

my classmate’s aunt makes $70/hour on the internet. She has been out of work for five months but last month her paycheck was $14408 just working on the internet for a few hours. see post…….. http://www.Bay95.com

• nindustrial says:

Fully agreed and I’d like to reiterate the thanks to John! Happy Yule and other pagan solstice holidays in addition!

• Urthman says:

When the worst thing your enemies can think of to call you is “Social Justice Warrior,” you must be doing something right. Probably lots of things right.

• Vinraith says:

Pretty much exactly this. It’s hard to think of a less insulting insult, really.

• dE says:

You incessant Fluffybunny!
          Although someone around here really did get offended at that one.

• JohnS says:

More agreement!

• Emeraude says:

Adding my voice to the choir I guess: you’ve been doing great work this year. Always interesting even if, and sometimes especially when, I do not agree with you dudes and dudettes.

Very appreciated.

• Stellar Duck says:

I’ll reply to myself here, but I’ll ignore the awkwardness.

Thanks, everyone of you! Thanks for agreeing on what I said. I sometimes feel like there are only jerks on the internet, but the comment section on RPS reminds me that that’s not true. Thank you all, and a very merry Christmas to you all and yours.

• Bluerps says:

Oooh, good point. I’ve already written a thank you comment, but I only mentioned great games there, not misogyny.

Thank you RPS in general and Mr Walker and Mr. Grayson in particular for fighting against that. Ms Ellison too!

• Samuel Bass says:

Delurking to agree 115%

Merry Gift n’ Loved Ones season to all who sail aboard the good ship RPS! May 2014 bring more and even greater things!

• Frank says:

Yes, fight the good fight and write the good write some more, please.

For me, the games this year weren’t quite as great as last year, but RPS’s content was of such high calibre that I followed the PC gaming news anyway!

18. Lambchops says:

Merry CHRISTMASFACE!

19. Thurgret says:

I haven’t played any of the games on that list. How odd.

Well, I went and bought EU IV in the Paradox Christmas sale, and it is excellent. I plan to give Papers, Please a go. I’ve played Dishonored without DLC, and XCOM without its expansion, and I doubt I’ll pick up any add-ons until they’re super cheap some time next year or so – in one case, Daud just doesn’t appeal to me, and in the other, I, perhaps oddly, didn’t find XCOM very replayable.

20. Severian says:

Thanks, guys. Even though I don’t visit and read as much as I used to (gettin’ older I suppose), I appreciate your journalistic dedication to covering PC games in a sophisticated and respectful manner. I can always expect well-written articles, puns, some much-needed activism, and even a little controversy. The comments sections have gotten harder to swallow, I can’t keep up with all the content, and I miss Quinns and Kieron, but none of that is your fault! Good cheer to all.

21. airtekh says:

Yeah, Merry Christmas RPS.

It was a strange year for games for me. 2013 was the year I caught up on my backlog, and as a result I played more new games this year than any other. As of right now, I’ve played 15/24 on RPS’ calendar, with a couple more to buy/play.

Yet despite that I can’t help but feel I enjoyed 2012 and 2011 more. Strange.

22. Grovester says:

Merry Xmas RPS.

One of the first sites I read when I fire up my web browser, along with The Daily Mash.

Story of the year – how indie gaming is reaching the levels of indie music in the ’80′s. Discuss.

23. appropriate touching says:

I also haven’t played a single one of those despite spending loads of time PC gaming. Just goes to show what a massively wide area PC games cover.

(full disclosure: did play Stanley Parable/Spelunky demos)

Also, Surgeon Simulator 2013 got my GOTY vote. Always hilarious showing it to new people and even after the joke has worn off I keep going back to it as a really entertaining skill-based game.

24. Incredibly_Shallow says:

I’m so glad you guys write what you do and maintain standards. Wow, emotionally available males actually writing about the feelings games evoke and not pandering to stunted men-children in various states of oblivious arrested development. We (guys who feel and speak about it) are a real thing…we exist!

25. mentor07825 says:

Merry Christmas everyone!

26. Lars Westergren says:

> And we love each and every one of you. Even those who hate us. DEAL WITH OUR LOVE, HATERS.

You are good people.

27. FriendGaru says:

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Pretty good list, I definitely intend to check out some of the stuff on here I haven’t played yet. A bit disappointed Gunpoint didn’t make it, though. That was definitely a highpoint of the year for me.

28. derbefrier says:

pretty good list. I picked up Brothers last night (amazon has it for 6 bucks) and it is a nice little game. The only 2 games i feel are missing are Path of Exile and Shadow Warrior. Both great games and a lot of fun. at any rate Merry Christmas!

29. Sigh says:

Dec.20: Dungeons of Dredmor
    Dec.21: Bastion
    Dec.22: SpaceChem
    Dec.23: Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Dec.24: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

RPS Games of Christmas 2010

Day 1: Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
    Day 2: Just Cause 2.
    Day 3: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat
    Day 4: Space Funeral.
    Day 5: Neptune’s Pride.
    Day 6: Dead Rising 2.
    Day 7: VVVVVV
    Day 8: Digital: A Love Story.
    Day 9: Bioshock 2.
    Day 10: Recettear: An Item Shop’s Tale
    Day 11: Plain Sight.
    Day 12: Dragon Age: Awakening.
    Day 13: Alien Swarm.
    Day 14: Metro 2033.
    Day 15: Warhammer 40,000 Dawn Of War 2: Chaos Rising
    Day 16: Sleep Is Death.
    Day 17: Desktop Dungeons.
    Day 18: Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light.
    Day 19: R.U.S.E.
    Day 20: Super Meat Boy.
    Day 21: Starcraft II: Wings Of Liberty.
    Day 22: Amnesia: The Dark Descent.
    Day 23: Mass Effect 2.

Dec.20: Torchlight
    Dec.21: Borderlands
    Dec.22: Plants Versus Zombies
    Dec.23: Solium Infernum
    Dec.24: Dragon Age: Origins

• BooleanBob says:

I’ve played 27/120 of those games. And that includes a couple of double-ups. /Shame

• The Random One says:

Some interesting trends when you put all of them side by side like that. Saints’ Row has never left the list. Christine Love has, this year. The mysteries!

30. Darth Gangrel says:

I’m glad that Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons is on the list (good ol’ Swedish handicraft) as well as the Stanley Parable (fun games are rare), but I would have thought that Shadow Warrior would be there as well. Oh well, it’s of no consequence if it gets left out in the Leftover articles either, it’s just that I thought that RPS and myself shared the same opinion about it.

After having Kentucky Route Zero at box 24 and having several indie games in the list as well, one might accuse RPS of being too niche and pretentious, so It’s good that you refute this by showing that several AAA games have won in previous years.

31. Henke says:

No Guacamelee or Fez or Shadow Warrior? Boo! Boo! I’m a ghost! I’m the ghost of Christmas future here to tell you MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• derbefrier says:

I just bought Guacamelee a couple days ago. Its fantastic and John gave it a pretty glowing WIT if I remember correctly. Also I beat jaguar javier on my second try. The first was damn close as well. Combat in this game is just a blast.

• Henke says:

Yeah the combat is brilliant. :) John didn’t like the Jaguar bossfight iirc. I thought it was tough but fair, a good fight.

• Frank says:

Oh right, I totally forgot FEZ came out this year! I guess it’s my goty.

32. Strangerator says:

Good on you RPS (or perhaps Brits in general?) for still wishing us a Merry Christmas and not some generic happy winter or somesuch. Over here in the states, most journalists are terrified of using such a religious term (it has CHRIST in it!) for fear of offending people (despite the fact that this is has probably never actually happened).

The only game I’m really wishing made the list is the fantastic Risk of Rain. Playing it reminded me a lot of FTL, despite being a different genre. Finally completed the game last night, looking forward to playing a Sniper next.

• Vinraith says:

Happy Dies Natalis Solis Invicti!

• InternetBatman says:

Ugh! You people are the worst. It’s like it’s a personal affront that people don’t mention your narrowminded view of the holidays. Instead of a peaceful time with peaceful people, we have to hear a manufactured controversy from people who will wither up and die if every sentence after Thanksgiving isn’t about how Jesus was totally born tomorrow, even though not all Christians agree, the bible isn’t remotely clear on the date, and it just happens to coincide with the birthday of Mithras, a popular Roman god that predates Jesus.

Merry freaking Christmas. I hope krampus puts you in a sack and beats you.

• Strangerator says:

“Ugh! You people are the worst.”

I always delight in seeing a lecture on tolerance begun in such a way, concluding with wishing violence be done to me. It always makes me feel like I’m on the right side.

To be clear, I am only tired of the homogenization of “happy holidays.” If someone celebrates Hanukkah for example, I’m happy that they wish me a happy Hannukah. I don’t expect someone to wish me Merry Christmas if they don’t celebrate it. And I certainly wouldn’t expect someone of a different faith to wish me a generic “happy holidays” for fear of offending.

• jalf says:

And yet, you feel the urge to go on tirades about how horrific it is that some people have the audacity to say” Holidays” instead of Christmas”. Thank you for sharing your telling us how much you hate that. I’m sure it makes everyone feel like offering you the kindest, warmest Christmas greetings ever. You sound like a truly wonderful person.

Merry Christmas, even to those awful people who dare to try to be respectful of others. No matter where they are, who they are, and what name they use for this holiday or how they celebrate it. I hope you all are having a wonderful time.

It would be so simple to just say “Merry Christmas to you as well”, without going on a frothing-at-the-mouth rant about how some people dare to sully everything by not invoking the most holy name of our lord and savior Jesus Fucking Christ when talking about the originally pagan holiday that had everything to do with winter solstice and nothing to do with crucifictions or virgin births.

• LionsPhil says:

Ah, but what if I wish you a Merry Christmas despite not being a Christian, treating the event as some kind of secularized winter celebration to fight off the intrinsic misery of all this cold and gloomy weather?

Merry Christmas!

• The Random One says:

Happy repurposed pagan winter solstice festival to you too!

• nindustrial says:

My reaction as well but I see you’ve beat me to it. Huzzah and Happy Solstice!

• SkittleDiddler says:

Happy holidays, Strangerator. May the dreaded War on Christmas never come to your front door.

33. yuri999 says:

Meanwhile the idiots on neogaf are frothing with rage over the list: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=739672

Wow, they are so salty over RPS being PC-Only. Master race amirite. banderas.gif
    (am I doing it right?)

• DiamondDog says:

Bollocks to gender equality, next year there needs to be a concerted effort to eradicate the use of “hipster” from all walks of life.

Excuse me while I go scream into a pillow.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

2014 is the year of the hopster, a trend that will start around easter.

• subedii says:

on neogaf

I think I spotted your problem.

But wow, 6 pages already. People really are intent on getting upset about subjective Year End lists aren’t they?

• SuicideKing says:

Better rage there than here, honestly.

• Barberetti says:

Heh, let them.

Merry Christmas to the RPS crew. May you continue to sail the good ship RPS through the vast ocean of PC gaming for many years to come!

• wu wei says:

y no lotu rps you hipster bro?

• Shakes999 says:

I am now thoroughly dumber having read that thread. I had never heard of that site before today and I can say with conviction that I won’t miss anything important by not going back.

Then again it’s Christmas so I shouldn’t be a total downer.I guess on the bright side, at least its not Kotaku?

34. kdz says:

Merry Christmas, noble writers! And thank you for a FANTASTIC year of games coverage. Really, guys, you are the best.

Also, having bought a rather powerful gaming PC a couple months ago I can't wait to see what 2014 has in store for us in terms of PC games :)

35. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Merry Axemas to all the good little dwarf boys and girls. I hope Father Axe doesn’t behead you when he infiltrates down the ventilation shaft!

• LionsPhil says:

Infiltrates?! That sounds more like kobold behaviour to me!

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Nonsense! A dwarf knows the meaning of honourable stealth, as long as it ends with a blood-curdling roar and bursting out of stealth with axe swinging and beard flying.

• Durkonkell says:

God, I hope I put enough bottles of whiskey out for him this year. I was running for HOURS last Axemas before he gave up and went to the next dwelling.

• Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

This year I have some brand new caltrops, and the whole family pitched in to wrench the jaws of Grandfather’s mighty bear trap open again. We’ve staked out a sacrificial goat to distract the rodents of unusual size that pull his sleigh, we’ve cleared all the furniture to set up a killing zone with overlapping fields of fire, and I made the spiked barricades a couple of feet thicker. I have a good feeling about this Axemas Eve!

36. DirtyDivinity says:

Reading your thoughts and feelings about videogames is pleasure. Thank you and merry christmas. That gives me a huge desire to play beautiful videogames right now for 101 hours and eight minutes, what is dangerous and wrong. By the way, what’s your favourite game since RPS exists (2007 so. Oh sorry, 1873) ? Since your own birth? Huh?

37. mpk says:

RPS am best.

Keep doing what you do because the world needs more mature discussion of the issues surrounding and, in some cases, infesting games, gaming and gamers, not less.

38. Universal Quitter says:

Well, you guys probably are stupid, ugly, and wrong, but I don’t think you need me to tell you that.

So, Merry Seasons.

39. Megakoresh says:

Dishonored is so fucking cool even it’s DLCs can be among people’s GOTY (I know it’s not that, but it sounds cool, doesn’t it? Just say it in Morgan Freeman’s voice if you don’t believe me).

40. SuicideKing says:

[begin transmission]

Merry Christmas! Lots of love and hugs to everyone!

May the Hivemind buzz with happiness and energy for ever more!

Alpha 1
    242nd Suicide Kings
    GTD Aquitaine
    Vega

[end transmission]

• Gap Gen says:

Pilot, the GTC Christmas Greetings will be jumping in momentarily. Please stand by.

41. Trilby Norton says:

2013 was the year I finally got into PC gaming. RPS was a big part of that: pointing me towards new and interesting games; advocating the hobby; and just being generally lovely. Thank you, RPS, and Merry Christmas to you and the whole community.

42. DrScuttles says:

I believe in you, Horace. As is the custom, I shall leave a half-eaten packet of biltong and a large gin by the chimney tonight for when you visit.
    Happy Christmas everyone and a Horace new year.

43. Urthman says:

I can’t count how many hours of great times I’ve had because RPS has convinced me to try a game that turned out to be great. And that’s not counting how much I enjoy their writing or how many indie games might actually owe their existence to the audience grown by RPS championing high-quality PC games. Thanks RPS! May you have many more great years ahead.

44. DrManhatten says:

Boy my taste must be so far off the pulse or I don’t know I could probably only agree with 4 out of the 24 choices in this calendar the rest I thought maehh or utter rubbish.

45. Dances to Podcasts says:

“DEAL WITH OUR LOVE, HATERS”

I hate because I love. ;)

46. Screamer says:

Merry Christmas RPS! \m/ \m/

47. Emeraude says:

I cry foul ! I cry fool !

You are not allowed to do this ! You CANNOT love me without my consent, you serial lovist !

48. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Lack of Tomb Raider: The Tomb Raider and DmC: DMC makes me sad, but on the other hand you didn’t acknowledge Bioshock Infinite even exists, which is hilarious and, of course, well-deserved.

I give this Goty List an 8.5

49. Freud says:

Thanks for the list. I have much more time to play games around the summer than the winter, so I’ve become a hoarder and binge gamer. So it’s good to keep adding stuff to my list of games to play. I did wait for the entire season of Walking Dead ti be released before picking that up, so I might do the same with KRZ. I tend to be bad at circling around to stuff I left behind and it’s probably better to play through it in one go once I decide to play it.

How to properly consume episodic gaming. Developed world problems.

50. Erzerpel says:

Merry Christmas RPS! Thank you for a fantastic year of always entertaining reviews, previews and a most excellent advent calendar! The top spot was a truly inspired choice. Keep up the good work!