A Keen Deal: Interceptor Purchases 3D Realms/Apogee

By Adam Smith on March 3rd, 2014 at 9:00 am.

I didn’t see this coming. Interceptor, the Danish company that recently announced a Duke Nukem ARPG and released the Rise of the Triad remake last year, have bought Apogee Software Ltd (aka the legal name of 3D Realms). This surprises me because I didn’t think I’d be writing any stories about 3D Realms in 2014, except perhaps when they licensed Shadow Warrior out for a sequel to the splendid remake. But the senescent studio has already been making headlines in this, the 27th year of its existence. They’re not exactly the kind of headlines that would ordinarily lead to a buy-out though.

Maybe Interceptor know something about Duke’s legal status that makes the deal useful for the future of Mass Destruction (a game, not an act), or perhaps new Apogee CEO Mike Nielson just really loves Commander Keen. Interceptor’s own CEO has confirmed the deal and an official statement is due later today. We’ll update when that arrives.

I don’t give a baby owl’s hoot about Duke but I hope this doesn’t take Shadow Warrior away from Flying Wild Hog forever. And, in case anyone is wondering, this doesn’t mean anything as far as Blood is concerned. Monolith were the license owners back in the day but Caleb is now lost in the limbo between Atari and Warner Brothers. I think. I’m not even sure anybody knows at this point.

Via Borsen.dk.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , .

1. Tom De Roeck says:

Ugh. Blood would be a good reboot to have. Original blood, of course, not the horrid sequel.

2. Optimaximal says:

You say Blood is lost, but then GOG currently sell the original. Maybe they know something.

3. Cross says:

Why would anyone want to buy the name of possibly the most incompetent developer ever to rear its face in the AAA market?

4. Kefren says:

I’m confused by the screenshot. I remember fighting that boss at the end of E3, but I have a memory of it being an open stadium, not an indoor one with walls and a roof. Is my memory wrong?

5. Jac says:

“Maybe Interceptor know something about Duke’s legal status that makes the deal useful for the future of Mass Destruction (a game, not an act)”

I very much enjoyed this sentance. 8/10.

6. Svack says:

Does this mean they can possibly continue with Duke Nukem 3D: Reloaded?

7. LogicalDash says:

I wonder if’n they can bat him across the Parody Line again

8. Westmark says:

Well, Interceptor didn’t buy Apogee. SDN Invest did…

Edit: Link with proof.

Frederik Schreiber is the CEO of Interceptor

• HothMonster says:

From my understanding:

Apogee Software LLC is the spin off company that makes the Rise of Triad games currently. They are an independent company no longer associated with 3d Realms.

3d Realms legal name is still Apogee Software LTD. This is the company that was bought.

SDN Invest is part-owner and principal investor in Interceptor. So they likely made the buy so Interceptor can use whatever rights 3d Realms still owned.

9. tomimt says:

Doesn’t Gearbox own Duke these days? Or did they make a poor choice of getting only DNF?

• kalirion says:

Yup, they own it. 3DRealms didn’t have the have rights to make another Duke game without licensing it from Gearbox. See “the kind of headlines” link in the article.

10. ChrisAlgoo says:

Next-gen Raptor:Call of the Shadows CONFIRMED.

11. HisDivineOrder says:

I wonder if the IP’s of other Apogee games like Shadow Warrior were included in that sale. Let’s hope that Interceptor–if they truly do own Shadow Warrior and the Apogee that’s left (LLC) doesn’t suddenly decide next year they still own 3dRealms and Apogee Software, Ltd–is open to letting Wild Hog Games do their thing again.

I really, really enjoyed both Hard Reset and especially Shadow Warrior. They seem to improving by leaps and bounds with each game they release. Can’t wait to see what they do next.

One thing that’s a real shame is that Lucasarts isn’t a publisher anymore because man, I think they could have made a killer Jedi Knight reboot off just the Shadow Warrior base…

12. Monkeh says:

I’d be all for a new Commander Keen!

13. The Random One says:

So should I buy Commander Keen here now in case that goes away or wait and hope that Interceptor will release that through GoG et al? (I know Commander Keen is on Steam, but it looks like it’s only 1-3 that are there; I’m looking for Goodbye Galaxy, which is 4.) (SERIOUSFACE.)

Comment on this story