Nostalgiablivion: Morrowind’s First Quests In Skywind

By Nathan Grayson on March 6th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

i want to go to there

Oh Skywind, let me count the ways. For those not in the know, Skywind is a Skyrim mod that aims to transplant the entirety of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (aka, the best Elder Scrolls) into Skyrim’s more modern engine while maintaining the former’s gorgeously bizarre sense of style. Locations, NPCs, quests, the mudcrab merchant who essentially functioned as my best friend in middle school – everything’s going in. It’s an absurdly colossal undertaking, and yet unlike just about every other total conversion mod out there, it’s actually going places. INCREDIBLY NOSTALGIA-PROVOKING video of Morrowind’s re-envisioned first areas below.

The visuals are splendid, but I think it’s the music that really got me. I haven’t heard that theme in years, and it took me right back to my youth. Countless hours spent surfing around in Silt Striders’ sloughing guts, discovering every last secret, and listening to my friends chatter in animated awe about becoming vampires. I don’t think I really realized just how formative of a game Morrowind was for me until just now. To the Gaming-Made-Me-O-Copter!

Nostalgic pinings aside, I’m impressed yet skeptical. Most of the video was composed of environments, with only a splash of combat and a brief shot of a guard NPC to defiantly shout, “Hey but also this is a videogame and not just a bizarro world landscape simulator!” I did hear promising things back when early versions were available for download, though. So there’s that, at least.

I’m very, very hopeful for Skywind’s continued progress, though. I’m basically dying to leap back into Morrowind, to the point where I doubt I’ll be able to wait for this mod to come out in any vaguely complete form. For now, all we can do is follow along on the Skywind forums and keep our fingers crossed for the best. Back in the day, mine were those of a downtrodden yet wily Argonian, and I can already feel the scales slipping back over my skin.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , .

1. Myrdinn says:

I have my fingers crossed. Here’s hoping it will be released before the next TES game. Didn’t the ‘Tamriel Expended’ mod (or something similar) try to bring the entire continent of Tamriel to the Oblivion engine? Never heard [i]that[/i] got finished either. And what about Morrowind specific abilities/skills/spells such as levitation? I’m pretty sure that’s hard modded into Skyrim.

• MattMk1 says:

Was planning on bringing up the levitation issue myself. Isn’t there an entire quest line (in the Mage Guild?) that requires you to be able to levitate? And aren’t there at least some dungeons built with levitation in mind?

I guess they could do some kind of a work around, like including items or NPCs that will effectively teleport you from A to B but call it “levitation”.

• DatonKallandor says:

You can fly in the Skyrim engine. Default Skyrim just isn’t built with it in mind and doesn’t have a way to let the player do it. The biggest hurdle is going to be building all the cities without the loading area transition main gates they started using in Oblivion to improve performance. Morrowinds capital is pretty damn large and the engine might not be able to handle that without it being it’s own separate instance well.

• particlese says:

Open Cities Skyrim continues to exist, so it probably won’t be a problem, although I haven’t personally tried it. A similar mod for Oblivion humbled my computer, but it definitely worked, and Skywind has the advantage of not requiring much (any?) awkward migration of things between world spaces — it just requires the porting of everything from one game to another!

Also, yeah, Vivec was massive (I assume that’s what you mean) and especially filled with stuff when using the Vivec Expansion mod…but let’s not forget the real capital of Morrowind (well, part of it, technically), Mournhold. Thanks to it being smack dab in the middle of the non-existent mainland, my entire stock of ~500 levitation potions went stale. :(

• Snargelfargen says:

Getting AI to deal with levitation is the hardest part at this point. Not that Morrowind’s AI was able to cope with it, but it would be a nice feature in the year 2014.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Look. Right now, this is important, and you all need to see this.

• particlese says:

\o/ One week later, I find this page buried in a pile of bookmarks, and yep, I needed to see that.

• Hotseflots says:

You’re thinking about Tamriel Rebuilt, and no, it’s still in the works. I believe they have just released another major update. They’re about half way now, and the mod is of exceptional quality.

• phuzz says:

I’m not sure what it’s called, but my friend had a Skyrim mod that was ring that would send you flying into the air when you equipped it.
      By binding the ring to a key on your keyboard you could sort of fly across the landscape. It didn’t work well, but it was hilarious.

2. frightlever says:

I would pay money to play Morrowind in the Skyrim engine.

3. Stellar Duck says:

I’ve spent 140 hours on Skyrim but I don’t think I could name a city besides the one that looks like Edoras. Whiterun, possibly. And then there was one on a cliff. Probably had a name as well. Aside from that Skyrim is a blur of… I don’t know, not very much in my brain.

That music. Those landscapes. Balmorra. Seeing those city names on the road sign. It was like seeing your old home. I miss Morrowind a lot right now.

• Jesse L says:

The tower that the orc bandit lives in, in Balmora? That’s my video game home. My shelf of helmets, my lovingly curated blue lantern bedroom, stacks of books on the second landing (including a nearly complete collection of the Lessons of Vivec), and Umbra’s armor laid out on the rug on the top floor… Home.

That and, yeah, the damp, storm-drenched rock belonging to the Mudcrab Merchant.

• Stellar Duck says:

I bet plenty of people did this, but I’ll never forget the time I jumped across Balmorra in one jump. Had to land on a mountain to cushion the fall damage. Levelled up a bit of acrobatics that way.

• TimorousBeastie says:

Was there a single person that didn’t install the ‘show actual city names on street signs’ mod?

• mr.black says:

I always thought they nicked the idea for Oblivion. But left out the horse saddlebags, silly buggers.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Not only did I not install it, it’s always the first thing I make sure I uncheck when I download mod compilations (into which it always manages to creep). It’s a hateful mod! Why would there be Latin lettering in Tamriel? The characters speaking English I can forgive, so the player can understand, and the books being written in English once you open them I interpret as a translation, but once you start seeing Latin lettering on signposts and book spines it really takes you out of the world. One of the many, many wonderful things about Morrowind poxed up by Oblivion.

• Ergates_Antius says:

I miss Corky.

• Anders Wrist says:

Sounds like you might be suffering from “my first Elder Scrolls” syndrome.

• Stellar Duck says:

No. Then I would be pining for Daggerfall. Which I’m not. When I’m sober at least.

I liked Daggerfall well enough. Loved Morrowind. Hate Oblivion with a passion and am generally just alright with Skyrim.

The world in Morrowind was the main attraction for me and the later games don’t hold a candle to that.

Edit: I’m not actually a huge fan of The Elder Scrolls as a series. I couldn’t tell you the first thing about what an Elder Scroll is or what the world is called. I don’t care. I can’t remember the story of any of the TES games. I don’t read all the tedious books. I don’t give a toss about the world at large.

Morrowind bucked the boring fantasy trend of these sorts of game and for that, I love it. Getting off that boat and being lost in a world with giant mushrooms and gazing on the Sea of Ghosts at night was something else. Oblivion was painfully dull in comparison and Skyrim was, while heaps better than Oblivion, quite dull in the world department. No mushrooms or weird spire houses here. Morrowind was an alien world. The others, not really.

• Blackcompany says:

This exactly nails the problem with Skyrim and Oblivion. That brand of fantasy has become so commonplace that it isn’t really fantastic at all anymore. Pretty mundane, really.

For someone who has visited and hiked in America’s Rocky and Smoky Mountains, Skyrim is just that little bit less spectacular than it would otherwise have been had I not seen places like that in real life. For those who reside in places like Scandinavia, New Zealand, Alaska, etc, Skyrim must really be something of a bore to even look at.

Please, game developers, put the Fantastic back in Fantasy.

• tnzk says:

No, New Zealand looks nothing like Skyrim. It’s definitely northern European topography/geography. I quite enjoyed exploring Skyrim, but since Nordic fantasy is so commonplace, I feel that’s the reason it’s not as spectacular as Morrowind.

Actually, a certain part of New Zealand looks like Morrowind. /shamelessplugfortourism

• jkz says:

This is pretty much what I feel, although I’m conscious that the linear quest structure is also feeling a little tired.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

OK I will play the town naming game. Urmmm…
      Markarth. Whiterun. Solitude. Riverwood. Some towns that had too many letter ‘a’s and were probably twinned with somewhere from Sweden. Winterhold. That place where the nordy king bloke lives. That place where the Thieves guild is. That cave where the guildy assassiney guildey thing lives. That place with the thing that made the thing with the thing.

There. Thats at least 20.

• Stellar Duck says:

Oh, I don’t dispute that there were plenty of cities in the game.

It’s just that for me, they all blur together in the unfocused blur that is my memory of Skryim. The game didn’t grab me. As soon as I wasn’t playing I stopped remembering the game. Now, it’s not a bad game and I spent a ton of time with it but looking back I’m not sure why. I have no real memorable things I remember outside of when the game broke and I one shotted a dragon in the tail with a dagger and stuff like that.

I can’t remember when I played Morrowind. Probably in 2005 or so, seeing as I was at university at the time. That may be off a bit though. I have such vivid memories of that game that haven’t been erased. So for the game was just better.

I don’t have that relationship with any of the other Elder Scrolls games I’ve played. Daggerfall I think back of fondly because it was quite a marvel at the time. Oblivion I hated from the moment Patrick Stewart showed up and it got worse from there. Never got further than 6 hours in despite trying very hard. Skyrim was fun but ultimately hollow and stale. Though to be fair to Skyrim, between playing Morrowind and that I played STALKER and that ruined the stale Bethesda worlds for me entirely. Nothing ever happens in those games.

4. Wulfram says:

Looks nice.

Seems like they’re keeping Skyrim mechanics, which is a relief for me at least

(Also, Daggerfall was best Elder Scrolls)

5. Kein says:

That damn music. Nostalgia heavy artillery ins on the loose.

6. SandmanXC says:

The Better Scrolls: Morrowind

7. Grygus says:

80% of everything good about Morrowind was in the Dragonborn DLC.

• phelix says:

I disagree. 40% of the colour was missing and replaced with shades of brown/grey.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

But 80% of what was good about Morrowind was mechanical. People say that Morrowind nostalgia is mostly visual or artistic, but I disagree. I think I would have a whale of a time with Skyrim if it had Morrowind’s RPG mechanics (which is to say, it was an action RPG, rather than a shit action game with some LARP elements)

• dethtoll says:

80% of what was terrible about Morrowind was mechanical. The other 20% had to do with NPCs speaking books at you.

8. araczynski says:

i find it funny how everyone and their mom thinks morrowind was the best of the series. i found myself liking that one the least. couldn’t get into the story, the lore, the graphics, the colors, the races/art looked wonky to me.

but i’m willing to try it again in a better engine, since the art/colors don’t look so drab/lifeless anymore either.

• TillEulenspiegel says:

Daggerfall was the best. It’s very difficult to go back and play now, partly because the controls are so terrible, but it was the one installment of the series that dared to be wildly ambitious with everything it offered. Worth having a look for character creation alone.

• MellowKrogoth says:

I don’t know if it was the best, and I was younger and easier to impress, but Daggerfall was incredible in the athmosphere department. Those huge dungeons you could get lost in for hours, terrified of all the monsters (Liches? Elder Vampires? Oh God.). Loads of people walking around on the streets, making them look alive compared to the ~10 npcs of the average Morrowind and sequels village. The crude and weird bits like Witch covens and naked people in temples, that were both terrifying and attractive. It was low-fi, buggy and the story was forgettable, but it was a world you wanted to get lost in.

Morrowind was great (with a better story), but it was somewhat sanitized in comparison (and the dungeons felt tiny and boring).

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Newsflash. 95% of people think the first game they played in most series is the best. They ofc then go on to present that opinion as absolute fact, as we see with Nathan in this article here.

Especially when you consider the Elder Scrolls games which have always visually and technically pushed boundaries, the first one you play makes your jaw drop because it looks better than anything you experienced before. You can’t go further back into the series and get that same feeling because it now looks and feels dated. Anything that comes after that doesn’t live up to the previous game in your mind because you kind of know what to expect at that point.

• Alistair Hutton says:

The difference is that Morrowind is totally the best.

Such an evocative place. Seeing all these lovely graphics versoin are a bit odd as they lack the cloying fog and dangerous sandstorms. I know they are just an excuse to cover up engine limitations but they integral to the sense of place for me.

The cry of the Silt Strider through the fog.

• shaw815 says:

Morrowind is by far not the best. That’s just your opinion. Get over the stupid nostalgia part and remember the stuff that was horrid and broken, The lame combat, ultra repetitive dungeons, terrible speech system.

I loved Morrowind too. But in 2002/3, when it came out. Now its crap. Skyrim is a billion times better. Anyone who says it isn’t, is just trying to sound cool and edgy. As these days its fashionable to hate on stuff. Ridiculous.

• Blovski says:

Um. I’ve just played through Morrowind in full after a bit of time with Skyrim.

Oblivion was just generally a horrible embarrassment of a game (level scaling everything, uninteresting story and characters, weakish mechanics, lost the sense of adventure, not tremendously interesting world, all the oblivion gates being completely generic, steals your victory at the end with a gimmicky cutscene…).

Skyrim I do really like but it does feel more like a single-player MMO, and things like the massive reduction of utility spells, the amount of railroading, the need to voice everything cutting down on how much information they can give you about the world, the much more generic faction quests, the main quest becoming entirely about being the hero rather than about learning stuff about the world etc etc all mean I think it offers a much more polished but far less substantial experience.

Yeah, there’s a lot of things Skyrim has hugely improved on (interface, perks, melee, sort of sneaking, fast travel – speech has been *terrible* in just about every Elder Scrolls game but I think the Morrowind wiki beats the more limited Skyrim voiced dialogue) but it’s really lost the core experience. Sometimes it was necessary (like the way fast travel has kind of gutted a lot of the world). Sometimes it was not (like cutting half of the utility spells out of the base game).

• Lost sidhartha says:

Lets start off by stating that people who go to websites to throw stones at others for their own personal belief is beyond childish. this game was good and I remember a lot of good times with it (not withstanding) but in truth its not really of any serious concern to anyone who doesn’t care for the games progress (mod) to be here commenting on how everybody here is lame for saying it was a good game. this whole act of coming onto this page or any other for that mater just to throw stones is saying worse about you than the people you came here to cast stones at. if you really had no love for this you were more than welcome to leave. its a miracle you can act that way and still believe your anything close to a REAL human being. I for one believe that anything Elder Scrolls is good whether or not it has old graphics and gameplay because that’s what gives it the real character of the game. it made it edgy and worth while and taught you the REAL fundamentals of saving often and practicing your skills more carefully because sure you can swing a sword and hit someone but are you gonna really cause severe damage if any? if a six year old managed to lift an axe and by the grace of the divines swing it at you would it really cut you that bad? (and don’t try the over the head bs because there is no flipping way a six year old could do that) and sure the six year old thing may not be the best example but you catch my drift. this game just like many others has earned a spot in the hall of great games and wont be tarnished by the voices of a few so pack your bs in and head off to go throw dice with your friends in a basement or go swing a foam sword at each other better yet grow up and be a man about things. there are people out there who think worse of you than you do of this game and that might not matter to you either but its true and if the took a tattoo gun and scribbled there thoughts on your worthless hide you wouldn’t be any kind of thrilled. so don’t come here with your ill will and throw it about like your views are worth more than anyone else’s. there I said my piece on that and by the way the only thing I had an issue with in the old morrowind was the armor on the kajhit and the argonians. the couldn’t wear certain parts and that bummed me out. I look forward to seeing how you handle that! thank you guys for putting in such hard work to bring a childhood favorite back to life look forward to seeing the end result!

• Kala says:

…Why is it hating on stuff to like one over the other? Preferring Morrowind over Skyrim doesn’t mean “hating on Skyrim” it just means liking Morrowind. As for “that’s just your opinion” – well, isn’t everything when it comes to what games you prefer?

Why is Morrowind crap now when it used to be good? Why is Skyrim a billion times better?
            Skyrim is far prettier and more streamlined and user friendly.
            But Morrowind has the more interesting storyline and imaginative landscape.

Just depends on where you place the importance…Which will depend on what you like….Which will differ with the individual. No?

P.S I feel far too old to appear cool and edgy.

• Kala says:

“Newsflash. 95% of people think the first game they played in most series is the best. [...]

Especially when you consider the Elder Scrolls games which have always visually and technically pushed boundaries, the first one you play makes your jaw drop because it looks better than anything you experienced before.”

Yeaaah, but…

The first one I played was Daggerfall, and you’ll have to take my word on this, but it definitely did *not* look better than anything I experienced before :p

Not that I don’t personally fall into your 95% bracket and prove your point, as Daggerfall is my favourite. But not in terms of visual or technical excellence (technical excellence? I was lucky if I didn’t get STUCK IN A DOOR. The game was BROKEN) as, to be honest, I find “ooh, shiny!” ultimately ends up being a bit of a shallow criteria.

Anyway, the reason it’s my favourite is the sheer ambition and scope. Two things I find sadly lacking in a lot of modern games, if I’m honest (where the graphics get prettier, but the formulas get repeated). If Daggerfall failed, it at least did so spectacularly.

…That said, while I think judging solely on shininess is shallow, taking a game that is already beloved, preserving it’s authenticity in keeping the important features, but making it very shiny indeed is an entirely admirable endeavour. If the atmosphere of Morrowind can be faithfully reproduced with updated graphics well…I certainly wouldn’t kick it out of bed.

• gamblerrur says:

That’s actually why I’m scared to play morrowind. I bought it along with oblivion on steam so I could play nehrim and skywind, but oblivion felt incredibly cruddy to me and I haven’t even touched morrowind. Skyrim was the first elder scrolls game I played, as I was a freshman in high school when it came out. And it was amazing. All the cool kids sounded like nerds when they said, “hey what race did you pick?” “dude, I’m a nord. They’ve got 10* resistance to frost, you know.” And I was sitting there like, I was playing rpgs before they were cool. XD But skyrim was incredible with the mods and the graphics and the amount of quests and dungeons. Then I try out oblivion and I’m like… what the heck is this? How do I even play this game?

More to the contrary, I’ve played pretty much every call of duty (I don’t play them anymore, don’t worry) and I started with cod4 on the pc. Well, after buying cod 123 5678 and 9, and playing through each of the campaigns on recruit, I seemed to love cod3 the best. It reminded me of mario kart 64, which had crazy effects bursting out of your car at every motion. cod3 had mp40 reloads that went all over your screen, and it was amazing.

Now, back to morrowind, I have yet to actually play the game, but I’ve had a feeling that what you said might affect the way I play the game. I’ve beaten the dragonborn dlc main quest line, and I was digging the mushrooms. I even found a mod to correct some of the coloring, more specifically on the chitin armour, Nights in White Chitin , that makes the armour look a bit more like morrowind. It doesn’t even BEGIN to correct ALL the color issues with the dragonborn dlc, but it at least brings a bit of nostalgia back into the references skyrim attempts to make.

I guess I’ll probably never be able to play morrowind like all of you did back in the heyday, but I will still play skywind at least, and maybe even a bit of the original I have on steam and goty cd.

• Zonker says:

Maybe it’s because Morrowind was the first Elder Scrolls game I REALLY played, as I had only seen a few hours of Daggerfall before that, but to me, Oblivion and Skyrim could really never live up to it.

I think it was mainly because Morrowind felt so different compared to your usual fantasy stuff. Sure it had elves, magic and dungeons, but it was all mixed up quite a bit and had a layer of additional mysticism and mystery on top of it. The disappearence of the Dwemer, the Nerevar, the role of the Tribunal, all part of that big, explorable island around the Red Mountain, spewing out a slowly advancing disease into the land. In comparison, especially Oblivion felt insanely bland to me. So here’s this Daedric prince and his followers are trying to open portals to end the world as we know it. So have fun running through a dozen portals to save the world, run-of-the-mill hero. Yay.

Additionally, Morrowind had a lot more stuff to mess around with and customize. A good part of it was clunky or not really useful, but you could still create your own spells and combine a silly amount of armor and equippable items. Skyrim has a lot of crafting, but all you do is advance through the same old tiers of armor and weapons and then maybe put one or two enchantments on the stuff. There are no big surprises after you’ve figured out how the progression works (and that’s maybe… ten hours in the game?).
      Much of the streamlining Bethesda did for Oblivion and Skyrim also made the gameplay aspects of them overly simplified and boring, even though I’ll admit Morrowind could have used tidier mechanics in parts.

And from a “PC master race” point of view:
      Morrowind was the last Elder Scrolls clearly NOT exclusively designed with gamepads and consoles in mind. The navigation through menus and especially the skill trees in Skyrim is just annyoing with mouse and keyboard. Hell, you could even resize all your inventory, skill and map windows in Morrowind. How about that in a new Elder Scrolls game WITHOUT mods? :)

Edit: Also, levitation. =)

• Reapy says:

I agree with you here. I jaw dropped in morrowind for the graphics, I jumped right in the water and ran around for like 20 minutes, and played through it a bit and enjoyed it…but something kinda held me back from enjoying it so much.

I think honestly most of the hype also comes from morrowind being I think the first of the elderscrolls game becoming widespread. I think a lot has to do with it hitting consoles, that was a whole audience that had never experienced anything like the elder scrolls before, and I think that really resonated with a whole lot of people.

I liked daggerfall the best, but only due to the way it blew my mind with the possibility of its scope. If I objectively look back on it now, it is a terrible game, but at the time I loved it to death. This is on the back of having enjoyed the first elder scrolls game. Morrowind was the first of the ‘modern day, functional’ elder scrolls games, ones that actually brought their scope back to a working reality.

Truthfully skyrim has been my favorite and most played of the 3 of them.

9. Koozer says:

I f only they could fix the skills in Skyrim. The lack of medium armour, athleticism and others is quite irritating.

• Anders Wrist says:

Athleticism and acrobatics were some of the most annoying skills in the series. Made you run and jump around like a madman to get those precious skillpoint increases, instead of using horses and whatnot like a sensible person. I’m mostly glad they’re gone.

• RedWurm says:

Ugh, absolutely. Whenever I come back to Skyrim after a while for a quick blast it takes a conscious effort of will not to start bunny-hopping like a madman just out of habit.

• phelix says:

Spears! Spears, I say!

10. Bremze says:

Morrowind is my all time favorite game which is a bit sad since I know it’s very flawed. Despite encyclopedia infodump monologues and the barest minimum of voice acting, it has extremely memorable characters, despite the poorly aged graphics, it still is amazingly atmospheric, despite the brown and drab, it has very imaginitive landscapes and flora/fauna, despite the horrible combat mechanics, exploration feels very rewarding and despite having the most cliched setup possible and being linear, it has a nuanced story that works together with the fantastic lore and is very rewarding to players who want to dig deeper while still retaining some loose ends open for speculation.

• MellowKrogoth says:

I actually liked that Morrowind had less voice acting and more text. You had access to much more lore that way. I read fast, and I’d rather not listen to secondary-grade voice acting for stuff that doesn’t concern the principal quests.

11. Heliocentric says:

Mark, Recall and the Temple and guild teleport spells kick the ass of fast travel. Non euclidean cartography? “Well this temple is near to this fort, but if I recall to the Mages Guild and then walk up the road 50 feet that first temple will be the nearest to me.”

You can travel from one end of the island to the other in minutes with the right mix of teleporting.

• tikey says:

The variety of spells and the personality of items is one of the things that the new TESs can’t get right. There aren’t any Boots of blinding speed, icarus flight scrolls or the bipolar blade any more.
      Also the annoying bossmer in Tribunal with the whole ebony suit enchanted with sanctuary and stupidly high luck.

12. db1331 says:

I didn’t discover Morrowind until years after it was released. I’ve tried to get into it no fewer than 5 times over the years, vanilla and with various mods, and every time the combat would kill it for me. Skyrim’s combat is far from great, but it beats standing toe to toe with someone and missing 12 consecutive swings with your sword, even though you can physically see it hitting them on screen. I know it’s done by dice rolls behind the scenes, but it’s still annoying as hell. I’d love to play Morrowind in Skyrim’s engine.

13. ElDopa says:

Maybe this could be crowdfunded, so that the modders could work full time…

• Zonker says:

I’d guess any amount of payment for this project, even if it’s just “donations” to the team, would instantly raise legal issues and make it a target for Bethesda’s lawyers… as much as I’d like to see modders be compensated for good work.

• Raztaman says:

Yeah what Zonker said, ’tis illegal for them to accept any payment.

• Snargelfargen says:

The team has made several attempts at crowdfunding thus far, without much success. I wish them the best, but I would be leery of donating. There are some well known figures from the Elder Scrolls modding scene involved, and while they have made some fantastic content in the past, there have also been some spectacular meltdowns due to clashing egos. It’s a labour of love by volunteers, and unfortunately a risk of drama comes along with that.

14. Raztaman says:

Oh God, not THOSE waves D:

Otherwise, beautiful.

P.S. Here’s hoping the straw roofs get fixed too.

15. Michael Fogg says:

I heard there is a project to recreate the entirety of Iceland in the Skyrim engine. Including the insides of peoples homes. It’s currently at 7% completion (46% of Reykyavik).

• Surlywombat says:

That must be an interesting conversation to have on people doorsteps.

“Hi, I’d like to come in poke around your entire house taking photos so I can make it in a computer game and pretend I live in it.”

16. Chummers says:

Morroblivion just got pretty much done around the end of last year, and that was in development since Oblivion’s release, I think. Hopefully the fact that modders have now completely ported Morrowind once will make it easier to do it again, but doing a project that enormous twice seems like a crazy undertaking.

Anyway if you want your Morrowind today it does the trick. Still those bad Oblivion character models but the environments are nice, particularly the cities.

• Spacewalk says:

It didn’t do the trick for me, my Morroblivion experience ended with me uninstalling Oblivion and just sticking with Morrowind because Oblivion is such an awful game it managed to make Morrowind feel lame.

• shaw815 says:

Yet another person that thinks its cool to hate on more modern versions. Oblivion was far better than Morrowind. This nostalgia is getting tiresome.

Calling Oblivion a ‘terrible’ game, means you either haven’t played it, or don’t remember it. Ridiculous comments on this page.

• Kala says:

Ouch, really?

Oblivion ended up being bland. I’ll defend their choice of fantasy setting to the death because people wanted Morrowind 2 when the series traditionally moves locations, and the Imperials simply don’t live in a landscape that is as interesting as the Dunmer. It’s fair enough that the landscape is boring. People say that Oblivion is a fantasy cliché compared to Morrowind, but forget that they’re both set in the same world with the same lore.

What does irritate me though, is how uninteresting (and unsubtle) the hero quest was and how annoying the Oblivion gates everywhere became. (Skyrim suffers the same fate a bit with how pesky dragons become – making them less frequent but much tougher would have helped. It’s a DRAGON. Killing it should be HARD.)

Fortunately, I don’t play these games for the main quests.

What I enjoyed most about Oblivion was the Dark Brotherhood moment of betrayal. I also enjoyed you could see the flowers in detail and they were flowers from the real world – I liked that attention to detail. I am in no way saying that Oblivion is rubbish or hating on it.

Just that Morrowind was, for me, the better game with the more compelling story. I’ll forgive much if the story and game world involves me, and Morrowind did that better than Oblivion. Skyrim did that better than Oblivion, also. So it has nothing to do with which is the more modern.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I agree with you that Morrowind is by far the best Elder Scrolls game, but I disagree that it was OK to set Oblivion in a boring province because it simply is a boring province. Read the guide to the Empire in Morrowind and Daggerfall, it describes Cyrodiil as a land of lush rainforests and paddy fields, a cross between Imperial Rome and China. Now THAT would have been a fascinating setting. If they wanted boring fantasy, they should have gone back to High Rock. I can’t wait to see how they ruin Valenwood by turning it into Lothlorien.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Level-scaling ALONE made Oblivion a terrible game. I said it in 2006 and I say it now. Fallout 3 and Skyrim are admittedly much worse, but that doesn’t absolve Oblivion of its sins.

17. Chuckleluck says:

I hope this ends up being more Morrowind than Skyrim. Give me Skyrim’s graphics, combat and magic and I’ll be a happy camper. I hope at least they keep the detective-style directions and don’t go the easy route with *shudder* quest markers.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I can understand why you would want Skyrim’s graphics and combat, but why would you want it’s magic? I’m not trying to be aggressive here, but I thought most people agreed Morrowind’s magic was fantastic? Certainly much better than the ranged-combat-by-any-other-name in Skyrim.

18. cpt_freakout says:

GREETINGS OUTLANDER

19. CookPassBabtridge says:

Considering we already have Morrowind, and so the Gameplay Not Graphics defence is invalid, that video is actually uglier than a harlequin baby. With a ginger wig.
    EDIT: Actually I feel bad having said that now, but at least its caused some people to google “harlequin baby”.

20. voodoojedizin says:

Atmosphere that’s the word that describes this game. From the second you hear the hushed voice waking you up, and throughout the rest of the game.

The game had a way to make you feel that you were on a magical quest and had a mysterious destiny to find. And the music made you feel like for some reason you belong there and it was your home. Also the level of detail was incredible, something they cut down on in oblivion, and that turned them all into mannequins living in Disneyland. So many people complained about it they were not going to make the same mistake with skyrim. Good memories of the oblivion fourms crashing and all the lockouts lol fun times.

21. Paul says:

After Black Mesa and Nehrim, I think we should really put the old “total conversions never get finished” BS to the bed.

Looks awesome.

22. ElasticHawkMan says:

I find this video kinda funny cause my Morrowind is so modded that in a lot of ways it looks better than this. I’d mostly want this for the improved mechanics than anything else.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I think I’d prefer to see it the other way around: Skyrim’s setting with Morrowind’s mechanics. We all talk about what a stunning game Morrowind was and so on, but truth be told I’ve seen it all a million times by now. The only reason I keep replaying Morrowind but not Skyrim is the mechanical richness and depth to Morrowind, so I would love to transplant that mechanical depth into the Nordic setting.

23. Lemming says:

It is super impressive, but I’d love (and be far more impressed) if this was done with Daggerfall. ie. Something that doesn’t have the benefit of a decent 3D base to work from.

24. Iskariot says:

I have great difficulty believing this will get finished. It seems a far too overwhelmingly huge project for people who do not get payed to invest such enormous amounts of time in it.

• WJonathan says:

That’s my general feeling with all the Morrowind revival projects. Here’s a thought: Let’s imagine Bethesda became genuinely intrigued by the progress of Skyblorrowindivion and somehow calculated that they could sell enough downloads/copies of “Morrowind HD” (or whatever they chose to call it), and bought out/collaborated with the Skywind hobbyists and finished the project properly and completely. Would we put our money where our mouths are and actually buy it to replay Morrowind? I believe I would, and would probably spend $30 (‘Muricun) to do so. Not $50 or $60, though.

Then the question becomes: assuming there is interest on our side, would Todd Howard and Friends be interested enough in a project like this to devote a year or so of precious resources that won’t be rewarded as well as time spent on a new game? While some previous remakes like Tomb Raider Anniversary and Resident Evil (Gamecube) were reasonably successful, it would be a labor of love to rebuild the entire Morrowind experience (with expansion packs). And many developers simply don’t desire to revisit old projects, finding it creatively stifling.

Maybe the fact that this hasn’t happened already answers my question.

25. Professor Paul1290 says:

As silly as it might sound, I do worry that the fact they are leaving in quest markers, fast travel, and other such “conveniences” might have a rather nasty effect of allowing players to ruin it for themselves.

Yeah that probably sounds a bit backwards and maybe a bit cynical, but what makes me say that is that my experiences re-playing Morrowind with mods that add similar conveniences and improvements to navigation have been very unpleasant.

Because I was able to travel around more conveniently I got to get to where I was going as well as areas of interest more quickly.
    Because I was able to travel to areas of interest more quickly, said areas became a greater portion of what I experienced of the game and had to “carry more of the world” in a way. Because I got to them much more quickly and I spent less time in areas I didn’t want to be, the areas I did go to started to feel repetitive and uniform much sooner.
    Different cities started to feel like sets of NPCs instead of living places. Caves/forts/mines/dungeons started to blending together. Also I ended up missing a lot of the random details that aren’t attached to an obvious area of interest.
    Rather depressingly, it started to feel a bit like Oblivion or Skyrim.

Playing Morrowind in that way basically ended up being a nostalgia-killing experience for me that has sort of led me to believe that perhaps a big part of why it felt like there was more to Morrowind’s world might have been because it FORCED us to experience it in so many little annoying ways and didn’t allow us hit the “skip button” anywhere nearly as much.

Afterwards, to try it the other way I played Skyrim with a mod that improves quest text and avoided using fast travel, quest marker, and other navigational aids and endure it even though it felt frustrating and inconvenient at times.
    Suddenly dungeons felt less repetitive because I was experiencing more “stuff” in between them and cities felt better because I made more out of each visit. I also started running into various interesting random things that were placed out in the middle of nowhere between cities and dungeons.
    It started feeling more like Morrowind, almost disturbingly so.

• tladnir says:

Professor that is the most interesting thought I have heard expressed for a long time regarding gaming.

I found in Oblivion a lot of mods ruined the experience for me. Not the fashion or look and feel ones. Not the Open City mods etc. But the mods that changed quests or play difficulty or added powerful weapons.

I actually added a mod to increase difficulty in the countryside and the number of encounters. Unfortunately the modders also increased the loot and so after a while money was meaningless and my weapons were better than the quest ones for my level. Had to restart the game or I would have given up,

I played a bit of Morrowind after Oblivion (a 2nd hand copy) but found the characters too blocky and the combat and movement annoying. I tried a few mods but gave up. The other parts of it I experienced though made me wish I had played Morrowind when it came out ie not spoiled by Oblivion’s shiny shinyness.

So really hoping SkyWind comes out eventually.

And I would pay a normal price for a commercially backed version of SkyWind I think based on my enjoyment of other TES games and my memory of the original game’s good points. There aren’t that many “realistic” fantasy, open world type games with politics and intrigue and grittiness around anymore. They are all going MMO.

26. shaw815 says:

Wow, i’m so annoyed by the pure crap people are spouting on this page. So frustrating hearing people going on about Morrowind like it was a fantastic. I bet some of the people on here never even played it when it released.

I did, and i played Daggerfall as well, seeing as some people mentioned it earlier. Daggerfall was good when it released. Not great, not amazing, but good. Good because it brought something new to the party at the time. However it had some terrible stuff too, and was a pain in the backside to even try and get into, or progress through. In comparison to a modern Elder Scrolls game, it has literally no good points. Yes it had a huge map, where every location and dungeon looked exactly the same. Dull. Anyone who says it was a ‘great’ or ‘fantastic’ game, simply can’t have played it.

Morrowind is similar. I can’t believe nostalgia is making people say ridiculous things like Morrowind is better than Skyrim or even Oblivion, because thats all it is, nostalgia. Morrowind was a good game when it released in 2002. I played it to death and it was truly the first really immersive RPG i ever came across. There was nothing else like it. Thats why people have such fond memories of it, and i agree. Having completed it, it was extremely satisfying. Too many people on here now though saying it was ‘fantastic’ or ‘amazing’ makes me want to throw up, and also think they didn’t actually play it and are just repeating what they have heard other misguided people are saying. The combat was terrible. The AI was terrible. The speech system was terrible. A lot of the dungeons were terrible. Yet scattered through the world were real glimpse of atmosphere and immersion. Thats it, scattered glimpses. I don’t know how anyone can say otherwise. A large part of the game consisted of mind numbing dungeons and trudging, along with some very dull combat by today’s standards.

Oblivion and Skyrim are both better games. Its simply fact. Better technology, better storylines, better combat. Don’t let your nostalgia at something that was genre defining at the time, lose sight of the major flaws Morrowind had along with that. Oblivion was a good game, not great either but it had its moments. Skyrim however, is an exceptional game. If you like RPG’s and you say otherwise then you are an imbecile, there is no other way i can put it. Someone said that Morrowind had more detail than Skyrim………..what???? The amount of detail in Skyrim is unparalleled in any other game that has ever released. Any fool can see that. Its the only Elder scrolls game where every single dungeon is different. It is the only Elder Scrolls game with a good stealth system. Speaking to NPC’s, doesn’t have the terrible immersion breaking speech box system that Morrowind had, the speech was horrendous. Skyrim is such a more polished and professional production than Morrowind ever was when it was released, to compare them is just insanity.

Ill finish with this, and its all probably TL.DR anyway but i had to speak my mind. Morrowind was a good game when it came out. Nostalgia though, is making people completely forget all the flaws that made it tiresome. Saying Skyrim is bad because you liked Morrowind is retarded. Skyrim is amazing, just remember how you felt when you first played it. Like any game, you can wear it out. Doesn’t change how good they are when they release.

I think people have just played so much Skyrim they are bored of it. So their mind starts drifting to glory days long past.

• malkav11 says:

It’s not nostalgia. I have played it after playing both of its successors (not to mention the recent Fallouts), in addition to hundreds of hours back in the day. It’s a much more creative, detail-packed experience with significantly more player freedom than Oblivion (and modded, it looks better too), and while Skyrim gives it a much closer run for its money, both later games still sacrifice certain things that were important parts of the Morrowind experience, like cities that are actually integrated into the game world, being able to fly and teleport, flexibility in enchantment, spellcrafting (which isn’t in Skyrim at all but is not replaced by a spell system that has any more flavor or versatility than Morrowind’s default spell set). And Skyrim still doesn’t have the same level of hand-placed detail or pure alien wonder to its setting. Oh, and Morrowind doesn’t arbitrarily make characters unkillable to preserve questing – it warns you so you can revert to a save if you want, and provides an alternate path for the main quest if you break it.

This isn’t to say that Morrowind was perfect (far from it), that Oblivion is nearly as bad as retroactively accumulated hate would suggest, or that the newer games don’t bring some real improvements in terms of things like physics, combat, stealth (mechanically – the rewards for being stealthy are much reduced, alas), scripting, levelling (I much prefer Skyrim perks to the previous model), mounts, AI scheduling, etc. I just don’t think that the balance of changes ends up favoring the newer games. Better combat, for example. Sure, it’s better. It’s still awful, and still not the reason to play these games. And we’ll have to agree to disagree on favoring brief voice acted dialogue (that makes mod additions jarring and is far more immersion-breaking with its questionable acting and limited stable of voice actors) over text dialogue that can cover far more ground more quickly with much more ease and less expense.

I think it’s telling that I played through the majority of Morrowind (including the full main quest) and almost all of Tribunal and some of Bloodmoon over the course of 300+ hours back when it was fresh, and never once felt the need to mod it (even now I’d only mod the visuals, the levelling system, and running), whereas I started both Oblivion and Skyrim fresh and pretty rapidly ended up with dozens of mods changing so many things I didn’t like about their core designs that I would never play either on a platform where I couldn’t mod them. Though Skyrim certainly comes closer to being acceptable out of the box.

I definitely think Skyrim is worth experiencing (I have 105 hours in so far on one character and I’ve only done like two guilds and a bunch of random sidequesting and dungeons, definitely going back for more at some point), and I liked Oblivion enough at the time to play dozens of hours with it and finish several major questlines including the main quest, though I’m not sure it’s essential anymore, at least for itself. But to cite either game as unalloyed improvements over TESIII? No.

• shaw815 says:

Its is nostalgia, the start of your comment pretty much described nostalgia.

Morrowind had more freedom? How??? All it had was a bigger map and more locations, but the locations were all fairly similar. The quests in Morrowind were also largely poor. It was good for its time, i had a lot of immersive fun playing it and as i said i played it a great deal. I only modded it a bit, once the expansions came out.

Having seen modded Morrowind, it looks nowhere near as good as Oblivion unless you have a bad PC. That is just a crazy statement.

As i said and others have said, you tolerated Morrowind more when it released because there was nothing else like it. The genre has developed over the years significantly, and some elements will always be repeated. That will never change. Skyrim is still a far better game. As you say we might have to agree to disagree.

Quote “cities that are actually integrated into the game world, being able to fly and teleport, flexibility in enchantment, spellcrafting”

These are hardly major factors. Levitation was terrible, mark and recall are the same as fast travel only more of a pain in the arse, and cities that are integrated into the game world? You mean having to walk through a city gate makes any difference at all? Really odd criticisms of things from Morrowind that were negligible.

Its just nostalgia, and it annoys the crap out of me. I loved it too at the time but its now old, dated and a chore to play. However, it seems to be the latest fad, to hate on newer things and harp on about old stuff like its the best thing ever. Yet when Morrowind actually came out, no one said it was amazing then, and it got above average reviews, but nothing special. Everyone picked out hordes of flaws with it, far more than Skyrim. Yet now, 10 years later suddenly it has become this holy grail of RPG’s. So many hypocrits….

• cavejohnson421 says:

Ok, dude, we get it: You hate nostalgia. No reason to hate on others just because their opinions of TES games are different than yours. Now if you don’t mind, please stop replying to everyone who disagrees with you just because you don’t like their opinion. They are allowed to have them.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Morrowind is old and clunky by today standards, but newer games definitely left behind some stuff that made it great.

The mix of voice acting and text dialogue in Morrowind was actually great, since it meant that the game had much more text overall and could communicate way more lore. You could ask every NPC about their culture and the “hyperlink” system, while it had drawbacks, invited you to delve deeper and get lost in lore. Also as other people have said the fact that mods could integrate seamlessly into the game made the addition of great quests and dialogue possible, something that’s way harder to achieve in later games.

Compare that to Oblivion and Skyrim where people mostly have one or two lines of local gossip… you’re not gonna learn much about Nord culture from that.

Overall the hate you’re spewing is ridiculous. Everyone had something they liked best about Morrowind, and they’re entitled to have it. Some hated the addition of fast travel because it ruined their immersion just by being there tempting them. That you don’t experience the same thing doesn’t mean that their point of view is somehow invalid.

• malkav11 says:

Nostalgia for bad things is generally dispelled by going back and experiencing said badness. Having recently experienced Morrowind, I can tell you for a fact it’s the furthest thing from bad. So, no, not nostalgia.

Oblivion’s engine has this offputting weird roundness to everything and misuses bloom all over the place. So yes, modded Morrowind looks better.

As for the rest…I guess it’s about priorities. Having to walk through city gates, by itself, isn’t a big deal. But it creates two separate zones, which has knock on effects on gameplay throughout. Essential NPCs? Super annoying and immersion-breaking. Levitation terrible? No, it let you fly, which was and is one of the best possible things you can let me do in any open world, and opened up enormous possibility in terms of exploration. Etc.

There are certainly improvements in the later games, but I don’t think they’re nearly as relevant to the world exploration, lore, and player agency that I value in the series as the things Morrowind had that they took out. And in some places, those improvements can just highlight how far Bethesda has to go to do that thing right. Like combat – I’d certainly admit that the later systems move to intuitive “if you hit you do damage” and addition of special moves and physics effects do improve the feel and flow of combat (not to mention the introduction of mana regen without a constant effect item), but it still doesn’t feel anywhere near as good as games like Zeno Clash, Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, Dishonored, Riddick, or to go outside of first-person, things like Dark Souls. The difference between Skyrim’s combat and Morrowind’s is much less impactful to me than the gap between Skyrim and those games. So I power through combat as a necessary evil and enjoy what the games actually do well.

Similarly, Skyrim’s shift to a perk system is a big improvement, but they haven’t worked out how to make interesting perks so unmodded, Skyrim’s levelling doesn’t constitute an interesting system to me and I largely ignore it. (I’ve heard good things about the mod SPERG for perk replacements, so if I ever start a new game I’ll try that.)

And frankly, there still isn’t anything else like Morrowind. Skyrim and the Fallouts Bethesda has published do much better at hitting the high points they reached with Morrowind than Oblivion did, and there’s a few other really strong semi-open exploration RPGs (the Gothics, the Risens, the Divinities, perhaps one or two others I’m missing), but that particular alchemical mix of setting, handbuilt world, and freedom to do your own thing never has been replicated.

And back when Morrowind came out it was buggy as -shit-, didn’t have the expansions, hadn’t been modded, and hadn’t been followed up in ways that didn’t necessarily represent the direction people hoped the series would go. So it’s not particularly surprising that it’s regarded differently after two excellent expansions, a ton of bugfixing, a ton of modding, and now representing the high water mark of the franchise in regards to certain aspects of its design.

BTW, technically it has a smaller map – but as you just evidenced, it -feels- bigger, because you have to use designated in-universe transportation methods instead of just zapping from place to place. (I have mixed feelings about fast travel. It’s super convenient and it’s certainly what the games are now designed around, but it eliminates any sense of distance from the gameworld.)

• IrstasSika says:

I started TES with Morrowind, and have since played Oblivion and Skyrim. I like them all, but the one I like most is Morrowind.
        Why?
        Freedom and uniqueness.
        The things that bothered me most in Oblivion were that because of level scaling, and the smaller amount of gear, every bandit looked exactly as every bandit, and the world felt so small for some reason. Probably because of fast travelling you never walked the same road twice.
        The things that bother me most in Skyrim, are that the setting of the story is too generic: the end of the world is coming, you are the hero, go stop it. But the most boring thing in skyrim is the world. Why? Because I live in Finland, the world in skyrim is pretty much the same stuff I see looking out from my window.

Its completely true that Morrowind was mechanically bad in many ways, crashing the dicerolling, terrible AI etc etc. But the world was/is unique. And the freedom in how to do things, to create spells, how to equip your character and what skills to pick. And the Nerevarine story: in Morrowind, it was personal!

So, to sum it up: I like all of them. They all have good things (Skyrim has great engine and combat system(dual wield a sword and spell)) but for the reasons listed, I like Morrowind the most. You can call me nostalgic if you want and you can bash my opinion as much as you want to, but that doesn’t change the fact that I like it the most.

And I’ll surely grab that Skywind as soon as possible!

27. 7vincent7black7 says:

Omg, I loved loved LOVED being a werewolf in Morrowind. Call me crazy a little I guess. I kinda didn’t get along with always transforming whether I liked it or not at night, but if I used Hircine’s Ring, Werewolves were epic.

I have memories of jumping for miles across the forests around that one island as a real werewolf, or otherwise. You felt like this powerful creature in that game, and since then Werewolves have been incredibly BORING in Skyrim. It’s dreadful. Even though, you know, your a “shapeshifter” it’s still a terrible letdown adn no one has ever made a Werewolf mod in Oblivion or Skyrim that suits my taste of giving you the jumping and whatnot of being a werewolf in Morrowind. It was exciting and fun in that game, and ever since its all just about the “meh, turn into a furry and have some decent crits” with people these days…