Bomb Voyage: Titanfall Expedition DLC Due This Month

By Graham Smith on May 7th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Three contentious subjects: EA-published first-person shooters; DLC packs for multiplayer games; and news stories about little more than screenshots. But in this instance I’m willing to look deeper than my own initial feelings about all three of those. This is like when you take three foods that don’t taste that great but maybe cover each of them with cheese, to trick yourself into eating them. And the cheese in this instance is Titanfall.

Look, I’m still pretty tired after the Monday break, but these Titanfall: Expedition screenshots below look pretty good, alright. Put them in your eyes.

The DLC, due later this month, includes three new maps and will cost $10/£7. Those three new maps are Runoff, Swamplands and War Games, and it’s the latter that takes place in a neon virtual reality, as seen in some of these screens.

I promise I won’t post this sort of thing very often, but I liked Titanfall a great deal when it was released and I wasn’t the only one. Its free-running movement feels great, its deployable robots are a childish delight, and the multi-layered design of its maps makes it the best CTF game in years.

The main thing I didn’t like at release was the package it came in: it’s an expensive, inflexible game with no server browser, no way to select what maps to play, no mod support… It lacks many of the things which make PC gaming great, and which could have made Titanfall something special. DLC is no fix for any of that and in some ways only exacerbates the problem.

Yet here I am posting about it anyway. My qualms aside, I am hungry for more reasons to experience Titanfall’s moveset and surprisingly tactical team-based multiplayer. I wish it wasn’t coming as an extra payment for an already £40 game, but if you have the cash to spare and dug the robot melee, Expedition may overcome your initial frustration just as it may overcome mine. I’ll review it upon release to see if it’s worth either of us giving it time.

And if not, hey, at least the images above are pleasant to look at as objects unto themselves.

, , .

Gap Gen says:

I agree that while I probably won’t get £40 out of this, I do enjoy the F2P (free to picture in your mind’s eye with the aid of grabbed screens) aspect of this game.

2. 4026 says:

Monsieur Incroyable!

3. Artist says:

Wow, 3 maps in a DLC! How lackluster and underwhelming.

• Steven Hutton says:

How labour intensive is the process of creating new maps? Is it more or less difficult in a game operating on two different scales? How much time do Respawn spend play testing and balancing their maps? Does the wall running make it harder to comprehensively test the geometry? How different are these maps from the ones already in the game? What else is included in this DLC pack?

I ask because you obviously have the inside scoop on relative value of digital content.

• Artist says:

Working in the same business I can assure you that I have indeed more inside view than you will ever have. I still hope that somebody like you would be able to do the math. Lets just assume they “only” sell 200k units for 10$, so 2m before taxes. For 3 maps and a few “unannounced fixes” that you saw in your crystal ball? Unfortunatly you cant do the math but only spill mental pollution around.
        So feel free to stick your cynism where the sun doesnt shine, sir.

• Steven Hutton says:

You know that you personally don’t have to give them two million, right?

Also, looking at both of our posts I would characterise yours as by far the more cynical.

Gap Gen says:

Then again as a consumer they have a right to choose what they deem good value or not. Just because something is expensive to make doesn’t mean it has to be worth the asking price for everyone.

• PopeRatzo says:

How labour intensive is the process of creating new maps?

You understand that doesn’t really matter to the consumer, don’t you? I might have spent five years writing a song and that doesn’t make it worth $250,000 per copy.

When you have to say, “but a lot of work went into it” when explaining price, you are already conceding that it’s not a good value.

4. xcession says:

Having bought Titanfall early thinking it sounded so good, then played it and found it’s just CoD with some nice but practically transparent bells and whistles, I’m not going to buy this.

I’ve found my biggest issue with the game is actually cajoling myself to play it. I forked out a shit-tonne of money for it, particularly given how little game there actually is, and I still can’t find the motivation to play! Do I really want another weapon, another mech? Not really – they all seem characterised by their flaws, not their perks.

Butthurt? Possibly, but to me it’s just an occasionally fun run and gun with little to no incentive for replay. Maps won’t change that.

5. Ross Angus says:

Does the Endor map come with Ewoks?

• LordMidas says:

Good god, that would be amazing. Hang on, so rather than Titans you call in ST-ATs, the Militia have Ewoks and IMC have Stormtroopers. There’s a mod waiting to happen…. if you were able to mod the game in the first place.

6. Ansob says:

Incidentally, the DLC season pass is about ~£11 if you go to origin.com and then use the Hola browser extension to browse the Mexican version of the site. You will need to add it to your cart, go to checkout, then turn Hola off and refresh the checkout page, otherwise it won’t let you buy it from a UK address.

It makes these particular paid map packs a hell of a lot easier to stomach.

(More generally, £20 for the season pass is half of what EA charges for the Battlefield map packs. I wonder how much of that is Respawn making a choice not to gouge customers, and how much of it is pure economic “our analysts say it will sell better” reasons.)

• shaydeeadi says:

Thanks for this, I grabbed the pass for £10.79. Also worth noting is that through MEX Origin you can get the whole package for about £30. Which isn’t too shabby.

7. Zulthar says:

Titanfall was fun for a short while but it lacks both depth and content. I expected a lot more maps at release considering the price and the complete lack of a single-player campaign.

• DThor says:

I don’t have any problem whatsoever with a lack of single player, but I admit I passed on it due to the price, plus someone here just described it as CoD, which just made me shriek like little Miss Muffet, true or not. I just picked up rising sun on a steam sale and it’s cruder looking, multiplayer only, and I’m having a blast. As much fun as the robot buddy/parkour thing looked, it seems they packaged it with too much cynicism. Did I just say that?

8. spacedyemeerkat says:

I occasionally play Titanfall but have no clue what’s going on.

Perhaps if I were to try playing before being inebriated.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I had only one beer before playing Titanfall, and my reflexes still went to shit.

• frightlever says:

Drink enough beer and you stop caring how badly you’re playing. Pretty much all my multiplaying is drunken. I cheerfully lost about thirty games of Hearthstone on the trot over the Bank Holiday weekend.

9. tomek says:

I really enjoy the game, playing it on a daily basis.

10. JonClaw says:

Remember when multiplayer games’ communities weren’t fractured within 6 months of release?

11. Megakoresh says:

Welcome to EA, we sell you 3-map large DLCs for 10€ each, after you already paid 50€ for our game. Enjoy your stay. If they wanted to get back on gamer’s good side, this is not the way to do it.

I am not going to buy the game specifically because of this. I fucking hate community-splitting DLC.